Union Bears

You're normally not a bad poster yourself mate but i disagree this time. Think most folk were unhappy at what does come across as a "its all about us" attitude rather than them not singing

Emotions are high today mate , I’ve no qualms with your point , and perhaps it’s not the cleverest move by the UB , in fact of course it isn’t .

However my point remains , if that is the main point of conversation in the grapes after the game or anywhere else for that matter , on here , workplaces and so on , then it isn’t the UB who are making it “ all about them” , for me it’s people who’d rather focus on that tiny aspect of last night rather than face up to the reality of what we are seeing on the pitch .

Some would rather talk about the Union Bears than have any kind of even constructive criticism of our board / management or team .

A lot of people, myself included have supported them and have gone to their fund raiser functions.

Last night was an ill advised move and they've now lost a lot of well needed support from other supporters who've previously backed them and they are now even more disliked by those who didn't.

Not a chance the club will entertain them now, as I believe the majority of Rangers season ticket holders now look on the UBs as spoilt kids with a huge sense of self entitlement.

They'll still get my support, but last night's actions, in a quarter final cup replay, has set their cause back massively.

Major error lads.
That arguement doesn't stand up.

Criticising them when no one else makes any effort to sing us just unbelievable.

There were 48k other bears there last - do they need the UB's to hold their hand to sing??

I back them 100%. Couple of hundred of them not singing in an attendance of 48k.

Robertson and the rest of the board are just like previous boards when it come to this kind of thing. They are happy with the 'sit down shut up' approach. Unfortunately 99% of those who attend Ibrox go along with this which makes for a dreadful match day atmosphere week after week.

It's clear that SG wants a much better atmosphere. But his board are not helping to facilitate this in any way.

I'm supportive of the Union Bears. But they misjudged the situation. Their efforts need to be happening in the boardroom with Robertson and co.

The club is open to safe-standing, but it isn't easy to implement. It costs and logistically can be a challenge for other reasons. Be patient.

Emotions are high today mate , I’ve no qualms with your point , and perhaps it’s not the cleverest move by the UB , in fact of course it isn’t .

However my point remains , if that is the main point of conversation in the grapes after the game or anywhere else for that matter , on here , workplaces and so on , then it isn’t the UB who are making it “ all about them” , for me it’s people who’d rather focus on that tiny aspect of last night rather than face up to the reality of what we are seeing on the pitch .

Some would rather talk about the Union Bears than have any kind of even constructive criticism of our board / management or team .
Fair enough, think we're all bit pissed off and tbf almost everybody connected to the club was getting pelters last night.

I'm not going to blame the union bears for the teams performance however when they decided to sing in the second half the team did, initially, respond. I tried to sing in the first half but not one person joined in, making me look stupid. The streamers thing was ridiculous.

I was there last night. I watched a pathetic performance from my team.

Nothing that happened last night had anything to do with the UB or their protest.

These lads are fantastic for the club. A credit to the club. Some of the comments i’m reading on here are downright pathetic.

If only we had more fans like them at home games

No Surrender Union Bears

Whilst UB can't be blamed for a result, to say that a move for UB is vital to improve the atmosphere in the whole stadium and then not acknowledge that lack of UB involvement last night was to the detriment of the atmosphere in the whole stadium is contradictory at best.

In what way is that relevant ?

Well for one, you telling me my post on last night's situation was nonsense, despite the fact I made the effort to go along, support my team and also witness the fall out of the UBs protest.

You're not really in a position to comment on it if you weren't even at the game mate.

The Union Bears are not to blame here. Typically they are the only section vocally supporting the team. Typically they are the only section that gets the rest of the crowd going to build a bigger atmosphere. Like it or not but typically they are the drumbeat and heartbeat that drives the Rangers support on as a whole for games at Ibrox. I think it’s hypocritical in the extreme for some who sit mumping and moaning for 90 minutes of a game to be criticising the UBs for not singing. If everyone else at Ibrox vocally backed the team there would be no issue. Unfortunately this only happens on rare occasions so for any kind of decent matchday experience the UBs perform a vital role.

Do I think the UBs should be in a better location? Yes.

Do I think safe standing should be introduced? Yes. I think Club 1872 should consider supporting this financially too.

Do I think the club should work more proactively with the UBs to accommodate this? Yes.

Do I think the Union Bears should find a better way to make their case than a silent protest? Yes. I think that supporting the team should be the number 1 priority whatever else is going on.

Do I think the Union Bears should be open to working with the club to modify their song repertoire and/or agree a “code of conduct” in return for a more constructive relationship with the club? Yes.

So there is much to do but to turn on the UBs based on last night seems shortsighted to me. I support what they try to do at Ibrox, I’m not a fan of the current protest, but the bigger picture is obvious - unless the rest of those attending Ibrox can lend their positive voices to supporting the team, we need the UBs to be loud and proud.

The Union Bears are not to blame here. Typically they are the only section vocally supporting the team. Typically they are the only section that gets the rest of the crowd going to build a bigger atmosphere. Like it or not but typically they are the drumbeat and heartbeat that drives the Rangers support on as a whole for games at Ibrox. I think it’s hypocritical in the extreme for some who sit mumping and moaning for 90 minutes of a game to be criticising the UBs for not singing. If everyone else at Ibrox vocally backed the team there would be no issue. Unfortunately this only happens on rare occasions so for any kind of decent matchday experience the UBs perform a vital role.

Do I think the UBs should be in a better location? Yes.

Do I think safe standing should be introduced? Yes. I think Club 1872 should consider supporting this financially too.

Do I think the club should work more proactively with the UBs to accommodate this? Yes.

Do I think the Union Bears should find a better way to make their case than a silent protest? Yes. I think that supporting the team should be the number 1 priority whatever else is going on.

Do I think the Union Bears should be open to working with the club to modify their song repertoire and/or agree a “code of conduct” in return for a more constructive relationship with the club? Yes.

So there is much to do but to turn on the UBs based on last night seems shortsighted to me. I support what they try to do at Ibrox, I’m not a fan of the current protest, but the bigger picture is obvious - unless the rest of those attending Ibrox can lend their positive voices to supporting the team, we need the UBs to be loud and proud.
Great post mate.

Won't go down well with the 99% who sit arms folded in the huff waiting for UB's to sing for them.

That arguement doesn't stand up.

Criticising them when no one else makes any effort to sing us just unbelievable.

There were 48k other bears there last - do they need the UB's to hold their hand to sing??

I back them 100%. Couple of hundred of them not singing in an attendance of 48k.

Robertson and the rest of the board are just like previous boards when it come to this kind of thing. They are happy with the 'sit down shut up' approach. Unfortunately 99% of those who attend Ibrox go along with this which makes for a dreadful match day atmosphere week after week.

It's clear that SG wants a much better atmosphere. But his board are not helping to facilitate this in any way.

You're missing the point.

The UBs have gained the support of a lot of supporrers by helping to create atmosphere at games, with their singing and excellent displays.

If they had produced that half time display before kick off, they would've had the place bouncing and would've strengthened their support amongst the whole Rangers support.
That would only help their position in their discussions with the board.

Instead, some people that would've backed them are saying "who do those wee kids think they are, trying to make our biggest game of the season all about them?"

People's reaction has been made worse by the result, no question.

However, a night that could've strengthened their position has turned into a massive PR own goal and lost them support amongst a lot of support that were mildly supportive of them.

I'm speaking as a supporter of the UBs remember and would like to see their group be given the chance to develop sensibly.

For your information, Stewart Robertson isn't on the board of directors.
He is an employee who will take instruction and follow direction from the board.

Don't shoot the messenger.

The club are getting a way with murder here. Robertson and his operations team, rather than focus on the fact we again have a weak subservient operational board who do not materially engage the fan base, promote or defend it frustrations are directed at a couple of kids in the corner.

Primarily driven by old people like me, except they love the seat they rent rather than put the team first.

Madness.

The UBs have gained the support of a lot of supporrers by helping to create atmosphere at games, with their singing and excellent displays.

If they had produced that half time display before kick off, they would've had the place bouncing and would've strengthened their support amongst the whole Rangers support.

Instead, some people that would've backed them are saying "who do those wee kids think they are, trying to make our biggest game of the season all about them?"

However, a night that could've strengthened their position has turned into a massive PR own goal and lost them support amongst a lot of support that were mildly supportive of them.

I'm speaking as a supporter of the UBs remember and would like to see their group be given the chance to develop sensibly.

He is an employee who will take instruction and follow direction from the board.

Robertson is the bloody MD, if he can’t even make this type of decision or worse if you’re excusing his accountability, it’s a £250k non job. He is not the messenger, he is the accountable MD. if he’s not he has zero credibility of self worth.

Well for one, you telling me my post on last night's situation was nonsense, despite the fact I made the effort to go along, support my team and also witness the fall out of the UBs protest.

You're not really in a position to comment on it if you weren't even at the game mate.

Are you Jimmy Sanderson ? Fck me.:rolleyes:

I asked you to clarify why you asked me “ were you at the game? “ because I gave you more credit than someone who thinks being able to get going to all the games makes them somehow “ special “ .

I was clearly wrong .

Who the fcuk are you to judge people on how many games they attend? Twenty years ago I was fortunate enough to go home and away as well . Life changes . I take my son whenever I can now, not that it’s any of your business .

Nor is it in any way relevant as to why you want to cry and whinge about the union bears , again.

Nor does it bar me from having as valid an opinion as you on any subject regarding our club . You are better than nobody else .

You talk about the UB having a sense of entitlement ? Look in the mirror ffs

Go and collect your hat and balloon for being able to go to all the games - well done you .

True colours coming out today in some.

Last edited:
Robertson is the bloody MD, if he can’t even make this type of decision or worse if you’re excusing his accountability, it’s a £250k non job. He is not the messenger, he is the accountable MD. if he’s not he has zero credibility of self worth.

So you think Robertson can make a decision like that without even consultation with King etc?

Really?

The whole place would have been bouncing ?? When is it ever bouncing, rocking etc. ? Handful of times a season, if that.

I back their stand 100%. It's a sad day when 48k and the manager and players need to rely on a couple of hundred lads to generate an atmosphere. But Ibrox has been shocking for 20 odd years. The whole ST culture has destroyed that spontaneous raw atmosphere that used to rock up form the Copland and /or enclosure.

The UB's protest is not ideal - and I know they won't be happy with it. But it is a necessary evil to get the message across.

An I'm sorry - your continual defence of Robertson doesn't wash. Messenger ? He is an expensive messenger at £250k a year then. He is our MD in charge of operations - this is within his remit and he needs to take responsibility. As with previous boards, we all know this board are out of touch on fan things.

We need fresh, dynamic blood within the club - that much is clear.

Absolutely nobody is or should be saying the UB are obligated to sing. I think nearly all of us really appreciate their voice and how they help galvanise the team but every single one of those "whit about the other 49k" comments is off the mark IMO.

Maybe it is too pally and too quiet - I tried to join in some songs in my section but nobody joins in and you feel like a twat.

If the UB are gonna be a singing section then they do it voluntarily. Theres nothing worse though than someone doing you a favour and then making you feel like shit for needing it or reminding you about it. To me, that is what the protest is doing especially in the context of last night.

The point would have been made far stronger by contrasting the Dundee game with a display and a big singing performance.

The demands for a move and changes to the stadium (so time, money and aggro from supporters being moved) are showing a fair sense of entitlement.

So you think Robertson can make a decision like that without even consultation with King etc?

Really?

King has veto. For something as operational and basic as this I’d be shocked if Robertson doesn’t get the call, we’re not talking changing the articles of the holding company or reaching out to the market for investment partners.

This is operationally at a basic level. King May ask Robertson to justify his thoughts but I’d assume that’s it.

This is a cluster %^*&.

Sorry but can’t blame these lads for lack of atmosphere.There is nearly 48000 others who could lift the place but don’t so they are the last ones to blame.

You have to remember - not only are they are sending a message to the board,

But they are - more importantly and more vividly - also highlighting this to the manager and players, who absolutely rely on an atmosphere being generated.

I'd bet my mortgage that fundamentally SG agrees with them. He "gets" fans, unlike our MD and board.

Are you Jimmy Sanderson ? Fck me.:rolleyes:

I asked you to clarify why you asked me “ were you at the game? “ because I gave you more credit than someone who thinks being able to get going to all the games makes them somehow “ special “ .

I was clearly wrong .

Who the fcuk are you to judge people on how many games they attend? Twenty years ago I was fortunate enough to go home and away as well . Life changes . I take my son whenever I can now, not that it’s any of your business .

Nor is it in any way relevant as to why you want to cry and whinge about the union bears , again.

Nor does it bar me from having as valid an opinion as you on any subject regarding our club . You are better than nobody else .

Go and collect your hat and balloon for being able to go to all the games - well done you .

True colours coming out today in some.

You're barking up the wrong tree here mate.

The reason I mentioned you not being at the game was because you weren't able to witness what exactly happened in the 1st half, the start of the 2nd half and the reaction of supporters after the game, yet you tell me I'm talking nonsense?

For someone you claim constantly whinges about the UB, I don't know where you get that from?

I think they blundered last night, but I still support what they're trying to achieve.

I've also organised lads from our supporters club to all attend a couple of their fundraising functions too.

I also couldn't give a %^*& how many games you or I attend.

It doesn't make either of us a better Rangers supporter than the other.

You're even taking your son when you can, which is what it's all about.

You're barking up the wrong tree here mate.

The reason I mentioned you not being at the game was because you weren't able to witness what exactly happened in the 1st half, the start of the 2nd half and the reaction of supporters after the game, yet you tell me I'm talking nonsense?

For someone you claim constantly whinges about the UB, I don't know where you get that from?

I think they blundered last night, but I still support what they're trying to achieve.

I've also organised lads from our supporters club to all attend a couple of their fundraising functions too.

I also couldn't give a %^*& how many games you or I attend.

It doesn't make either of us a better Rangers supporter than the other.

You're even taking your son when you can, which is what it's all about.

You are focussing on what 70 lads not singing for 45 minutes as if it is the major talking point from last night , using terms like “ fallout “ etc .

What kind of stadium with 50,000 people in it relies so much on a tiny section of fans ? That’s what should worry us more .

To me it’s a deflection topic for people who don’t want to admit to what we are seeing in front of our eyes on the park .

One solitary win in ten matches against Aberdeen and hibs . No trophies , not even a cup final . Again .

But the union bears “actions” and the subsequent “ fallout “ is causing concern ?

Give me a break ffs.

Like the boys and what they bring but by god last night was selfish and stupid.

Ok don't sing first half, but delaying the second was sheer stupidity and won't get the majority onside.

Thinking they are more important than the team is a road they don't want to go down.

Everything the club and fans should do is to help the team on the park, not act like you are the most important entity at the club and in turn look like selfish wee bairns who are spitting the dummy out the pram.

What really got me was the sheep fans being giving a free reign to sing what they wanted unchallenged , it was a worrying insight to the future ,if the union bears were not there anymore.. the fans had a chance to get behind the team when they needed it most and all you heard was discontent from the stands.

The fact that their support for the team is conditional on their wants and needs says a lot about them tbh

How can anything they did last night be called 'selfish'

49k others could have taken up the mantle but, as usual, didn't.

Their actions are selfless - as they are wanting to improve things for the better but are facing and MD and board who constantly put barriers in their way. For that I absolutely applaud them.

that delay to start of the second half due to throwing streamers / toilet roll was extremely stupid, does nothing to help UB cause, just pisses of people in the support as had then spending more time sitting in the rain!!

I’m sure Gerrard and players weren’t happy either, come out the dressing room fired up, then 5 minutes standing in the bloody rain as clearing the pitch.

UB seriously need to consider their Public relations & conduct, expecting further assistance by rangers (& huge administrative cost) does come with expectations your not going to cause issues for the club & rest of the support

What really got me was the sheep fans being giving a free reign to sing what they wanted unchallenged , it was a worrying insight to the future ,if the union bears were not there anymore.. the fans had a chance to get behind the team when they needed it most and all you heard was discontent from the stands.
Exactly mate. 800 sheep out-sang 48k Rangers fans.

Yet people are moaning at a couple of hundred young lads in BF1.

You couldn't make it up.

Their actions are selfless - as they are wanting to improve things for the better but are facing and MD and board who constantly put barriers in their way. For that I absolutely applaud them.

Spot on mate.

The UB aren't on the clubs pay roll and it's not their job to sing on behalf of everyone else. To call the UB selfish is a total disgrace.

Absolute nonsense.

Delaying the second half with the look at me streamer bog roll charade was selfish.

The team needed to come out all guns blazing, instead they came out and started clearing shite they were throwing onto the pitch.

It was selfish, no one is saying them not singing is selfish, it was the nonsense delaying the second half was that and that sort of stuff that will make it easy for the club and fans who don't want them to get a standing section to simply tell them it isn't happening.

They need the vast majority of fans inside Ibrox onside, and shite like last night isn't going to do it.

They are certainly not selfless and I say this as a fan of the boys.

Absolute nonsense.

Delaying the second half with the look at me streamer bog roll charade was selfish.

The team needed to come out all guns blazing, instead they came out and started clearing shite they were throwing onto the pitch.

It was selfish.

They are certainly not selfless and I say this as a fan of the boys.
Have to agree to disagree on this then.

You are focussing on what 70 lads not singing for 45 minutes as if it is the major talking point from last night , using terms like “ fallout “ etc .

What kind of stadium with 50,000 people in it relies so much on a tiny section of fans ? That’s what should worry us more .

To me it’s a deflection topic for people who don’t want to admit to what we are seeing in front of our eyes on the park .

One solitary win in ten matches against Aberdeen and hibs . No trophies , not even a cup final . Again .

But the union bears “actions” and the subsequent “ fallout “ is causing concern ?

Give me a break ffs.

Well there's already 4 pages on here, so I'd say there's been plenty "fall out " (both positive and negative) over their "actions."

If they really asked other folk in the broomy not to sing then how can anyone defend them? They actually believe they deserve more support in a protest to get safe standing than the team do trying to win a cup? That for me is just totally embarrassing.

And that's before you even get to them delaying the start of the 2nd half & making our players clear off toilet roll from the pitch when they should have been playing.

If anything.

This thread plus the stuff posted on fb and Twitter it shows how important it it is to vocally back the team.

1. Does this not back up why the UB were protesting.

2. If they done it against Killie in the cup when we hammered them this wouldn’t really be a thread.

3. Back the team like they do if you really want a atmosphere that helps the team.

4. If you really want to have a go at anybody. Sit quiet for 5 mins and see who you only hear when it’s a bad pass and have a go at them.

Their protest really has worked and brought the attention to how important a expanded singing section would help.

If anything.

This thread plus the stuff posted on fb and Twitter it shows how important it it is to vocally back the team.

1. Does this not back up why the UB were protesting.

2. If they done it against Killie in the cup when we hammered them this wouldn’t really be a thread.

3. Back the team like they do if you really want a atmosphere that helps the team.

4. If you really want to have a go at anybody. Sit quiet for 5 mins and see who you only hear when it’s a bad pass and have a go at them.

Their protest really has worked and brought the attention to how important a expanded singing section would help.
Bang on the money mate !

Agreed 100%.

Lastnight I was sat in GR1 and about a 5 metre radius there was only myself and another 3 or 4 singing. Even when Derry’s Walls and Every Saturday we Follow got started a select few made the effort. The only noise some were making was negative towards the team. Justified or not Ibrox home crowd is terrible

Lastnight I was sat in GR1 and about a 5 metre radius there was only myself and another 3 or 4 singing. Even when Derry’s Walls and Every Saturday we Follow got started a select few made the effort. The only noise some were making was negative towards the team. Justified or not Ibrox home crowd is terrible

It isn't a new thing though and won't change.

Atmospheres have been electric before and with the UB's, I would prefer with them, but if people really think it is going to change by adding safe standing or an extended singing section they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

By thinking they are the most important thing around and delaying the second half, or the belief that people should simply up and move for them isn't doing them any favours, it is just creating an Us vs Them scenario that our fan base are so good at tapping into.

I think it’s sad a lot of fans see it this way, rightly or wrongly

In a way I agree, but If I am told by them I should move for them I would tell them no chance.

If they constructively and actively engaged with me and others they wanted to move then I would probably say yes.

BTW my season ticket is B72 so I won't be having a say :D

In a way I agree, but If I am told by them I should move for them I would tell them no chance.

If they constructively and actively engaged with me and others they wanted to move then I would probably say yes.

BTW my season ticket is B72 so I won't be having a say :D
I agree it should be delegated as a support but due to the shite that’s on the field I think plenty of fans would see this as an issue that’s way down the list of priorities unfortunately

So what were the other 48k protesting about

Their behaviour last night wasn't ideal but heyho up to them, it is their choice...As they say others didn't sing all night, However, this constant making demands on the board and insisting they have a voice is complete bullshit. You pay for your tickets, you sit where you sit and if you dont like it well to be honest its tough shit. The board don't HAVE to engage with them at all, they may choose to but making demands about where they sit and how they sit will never end well.

In the current climate like it or not, they could refuse to sell ST to all UB members and fill the seats with other supporters who may create a group, sing the right words to the right songs and not be dicks when they don't get their own way. Regardless of last night they are doing themselves no favours and need to realise that going all 'Kevin & Perry' when they dont get their own way isnt going to work.

In short, they chose not sing for the first half last night, that is fine

The board have decided not to take any positive action on their demands, that too is fine. I dont expect to see a statement from the board saying 'As a result of the UB refusal to sing last night we will with maximum haste turn BF1 into a safe standing area'

Back