McInnes did not outsmart Gerrard

Mcinnes tactics have worked basically because we have gifted them a start on 3 occasions, and because of weak/poor/cheating referees,,, I mean 8 booked and no one sent off, it beggers believe,,

When even Craigan is repeatedly saying Considine is lucky not to have been booked, prior to getting booked, you can't help but feel that he should've been sent off!.

And it wasn't weak or poor refereeing. IMO.

He didn't outsmart Gerrard for sure. But he knows that by sticking 10 men behind the ball tjat he has a chance. Why? Because he knows that Gerrard does not have midfielders at his disposal to break the lines. Until a quality number 10 is signed that's always going to be a problem
I think it's important to point out that the refereeing in most of the games has allowed Aberdeen's 'tactics' to flourish. The ongoing treatment of Morelos, for example, in these matches has had a major bearing on the outcome.

Hi Ally McCoist.
:)

McInnes is anything but a tactical genius.
We shot ourselves in the foot by losing a 2nd minute goal which in turn allowed McInnes to go from a defensive line up to almost playing 9 players within 40 yards of their goal.

No doubt Gerrard has a lot to learn in terms of tactics however he will most certainly not be reading a coaching manual penned by McInnes

Last edited:
on tuesday they got a gift - sat back & only our failure to make a killer pass meant they clung on to hit on the break for the 2nd - thats not taking the ref into account

no gift - would they have won?
maybe not

we dominated them up there in the first game with 10 men
we dominated them in the 4-2 game
we were the better team in the 1-0 league defeat but was just another one of those nights for us

cup game up there - we were horrendous but they hardly played us off the park - more like they were slightly less worse

only game where we've been way off the pace was the cup semi

all IMO

I am sick of hearing this and of how he has Gerrard's number. His only tactic was to get everyone behind the ball, kick anyone in blue and hope for Rangers to make mistakes. It worked this time and the last two games in Glasgow. It didn't work at Pittodrie and the master tactician sits 8 points behind us. Does anyone genuinely wish he was our manager or believe that his team of cloggers are a better side than us? People say our season is over and it probably is. But so is Aberdeen's On Tuesday they achieved the only thing that really matters to them. They did it by fair means or foul - mainly foul.

We played the exact way McInnes thought we would and he wound up Alfie to provoke him i would say his plan worked... we have the bigger budget better players all round possible except McKenna so to win 3x vs our 1 i would say yes he did outsmart Gerrard ( the rookie ) !!

I think it's important to point out that the refereeing in most of the games has allowed Aberdeen's 'tactics' to flourish. The ongoing treatment of Morelos, for example, in these matches has had a major bearing on the outcome.
Yes. Clear red and pen but yellow given the wrong way. inexplicable

The word "Outsmart," implies that McInnes' tactics were clever or sophisticated.

Those are not adjectives I would use to describe them.

Effective certainly.

Outsmarted or not Dolly won they have a semi final to look foreword to we are hanging onto the chance of the league by a baw hair,I hope Clarke outsmarts Gerrard on Saturday and we win,I'll happily win every game the ugly Dolly way till the end of the season,Getting fed up being pretty football losers v the likes Hivs,Killie and Dolly.

I literally haven't seen one post on here, social media, or heard anyone in person saying they want him to be our manager.

Its probably just about the only thing our entire fan base has ever agreed on.

He's not a master tactician - no sensible person thinks he is. He has whether you like it outsmarted Gerrard on a couple of occasions and has knocked us out of two cups. There isn't an excuse for that.

The Sheep tactics would have failed miserably if the referee had applied the Laws of the Game fairly.

They are tactics that can succeed only in Scotland and only against one team.

Different horses for different courses, it may have been better to run with McCrorie, Halliday, lafferty, we lost all battles

Outsmarted may not be the word, because everyone knew exactly what he was going to do.

Its more Gerrard doesn’t know how to beat him. Despite knowing exactly how he’ll play at Ibrox, we can’t get through them.

So folk need a reality check ffs i wish hoped even prayed we would get into the uefa cup group stages let alone if Alfredos perfectly good goal stood in Russia we would of qualified.
I hoped we could challenge for the title and we have (Rangers win on Saturday and Kenny M scores the winner on Sunday and WE win at the piggery be down to 2 points)
Some of the football we have played this season has been a joy to watch SG will deliver 55 eventually WATP.

Been saying this since Warburton. None of these no marks are tactical geniuses.

Some people have really short memories. Walter and Dick did not tactically outsmart most other Spl managers, they were fortunate enough to have a budget that allowed them to bring in a few guys that could win you a football match regardless of the opposition managers "tactics".

Not taking anything away from Walter or Dick either, takes a good manager to get the most out if players, even top international pros like Gazza, Laudrup, De Boer etc

2 seasons ago, we had 2 wins and 2 defeats v Aberdeen. Last season we had 3 wins and a draw. McInnes knows that in an open game, we'll destroy them, so plays man for man and looks for fouls or fouls our players to break up play.
In our 3 defeats this season, we have had more possession than Aberdeen. In the other 3, they have had more possession.

I am sick of hearing this and of how he has Gerrard's number. His only tactic was to get everyone behind the ball, kick anyone in blue and hope for Rangers to make mistakes. It worked this time and the last two games in Glasgow. It didn't work at Pittodrie and the master tactician sits 8 points behind us. Does anyone genuinely wish he was our manager or believe that his team of cloggers are a better side than us? People say our season is over and it probably is. But so is Aberdeen's On Tuesday they achieved the only thing that really matters to them. They did it by fair means or foul - mainly foul.
Pretty much agree but I think Stevie G made mistakes with his team selection and formation.This is not hind sight as I posted bout this before the game.It was obvious how Aberdeen would set up and play this game.We should have started with 2 up front Lafferty and Defoe.Morelos should have started on the bench as he was a cert to get booked and we should havehad 5 in the midfield to win that battle.
433 is not working against teams who sit in.

McInnes after match quote of"this is the most physical side", that I've ever been in charge of says it all!! Difference between the sides is that his gets away with murder!, ours does not.

Right....ok. Apart from the times it worked, it didn’t work you are saying?
Had a chuckle at this myself. Its all a bit egotistical.

McInnes’ tactics, as ugly as they are, have worked better than Gerrard’s on numerous occasions. There’s no denying that. Saying “ah but we play better football than them” means naff all when we’ve just been fucked out of yet another cup by them. The mentally challengeds used the same patter when we put them out on pentalties.

So folk need a reality check ffs i wish hoped even prayed we would get into the uefa cup group stages let alone if Alfredos perfectly good goal stood in Russia we would of qualified.
I hoped we could challenge for the title and we have (Rangers win on Saturday and Kenny M scores the winner on Sunday and WE win at the piggery be down to 2 points)
Some of the football we have played this season has been a joy to watch SG will deliver 55 eventually WATP.
Ah, one if the if only posters. If we win all our games from now mate...

If we had scored first, we could have seen if he could have outsmarted Stevie G, but unfortunatly this did not come about. I hardly call sticking 11 men behind the ball and kicking anything that moves tactical genius.

This is the same sheep team with the same manager who end up losing to Murderwell and Hamilton. Struggles against St Mirren, St Johnstone, Dundee. These teams play the sheep at their own shitty game. Two banks of four. Fouling, frustrating and stopping the game whenever they can.
So called hard men putting in cynical challenges on our players yet the slightest touch on them and down they go.

I literally haven't seen one post on here, social media, or heard anyone in person saying they want him to be our manager.

Its probably just about the only thing our entire fan base has ever agreed on.

Agreed. This OP is just hysterical....

It's also no question had the ref not made a monumental fuq up, we'd probably be facing the mutants in the semi.

True mate but again our spineless leadership chose dignified silence frankly it sickens me. For GOD's sake speak out!

Wouldn't want him as the manager, however he did a number on us. Upon reflection it wasn't difficult as we are a one dimensional team and cannot break down a defence, particularly if we go behind. The manager needs to learn. We effectively had 90 mins to score a goal on Tuesday and we couldn't do it. That's the big worry for me.

A couple results against rangers and Mcinnes is hailed as some sort of hero funnily enough if results had been different I firmly believe Mcinnes would be on a shaky peg due to the terrible tactics and anti football he has adopted

May I suggest Mr Clancy had a big, big say in both games, of that there is no doubt.
A dirty cheating mentally challenged c.unt, of that there is no doubt.

Outsmarted my ronson.

NS.

This is the same sheep team with the same manager who end up losing to Murderwell and Hamilton. Struggles against St Mirren, St Johnstone, Dundee. These teams play the sheep at their own shitty game. Two banks of four. Fouling, frustrating and stopping the game whenever they can.
So called hard men putting in cynical challenges on our players yet the slightest touch on them and down they go.

Yeah but we are the same team who have struggled with they same tactics that Kilmarnock and Hibs adopt when we play them. There is a saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

So it’s not as much outsmarted just everyone knows how we are going to play and can prepare for it.

Let’s not kid ourselves on we never got to Manchester playing open expansive football.

We have won 1 game out of six against them.

it has been established in the first 5 games that they will get a way with murder.

we have not adapted or changed our style to accommodate either of the 2 above facts.

Tuesday night Aberdeen reminded me of a European game under Walter. Sit deep, stifle the game, catch on the break. 6 goes at them, 1 win. Frightening. That tells me Mcinnes has got the better of Gerrard. Gerrard needs to figure out how to beat 10 men behind the ball.

Mcinnes has worked out our entire tactics revolve around getting the ball out wide and getting early crosses in, all they do is make sure they have plenty in the box to outnumber Morelos.

The system we play is completely flawed and easy to set up against, especially when you have wide players that cannot consistently deliver good crosses. We look good against sides that try and attack us because we are actually very good at pressing and countering.

Bottom line is we need a total rethink on tactics because we will not get success in our league the way we play

I disagree he knew how to beat us..therefore he our smarted our manager...he won

I don’t warn Mcinnes as manager but you can’t deny this season when it has mattered most , he won , two cup games . He can only play with the hand he has and if by kicking and biting he got the job done .
For me what is most alarming is that if I KNEW what tactics he would play on Tuesday why did our gaffer not . We got the replay by the skin of our teeth and blew it . Them scoring after 3 mins meant we had plenty time to turn it round , but we blew it AGAIN . That’s why I’m so angry

Nail on head mate no question mcinnes has SG’s number.
Na. Think about it. SG plays Mccinness tactics when we play the sheep,,, Defend like %^*& and hope for a draw??? Draw aint good enough for us. It is fir them and when they get it they happy little lambs. We have right guy in charge. SG for me all day long.

Somebody should have given McInnes the remit before the game that he actually only gets credit if his team were to win playing free flowing football.

He got a draw at the Piggery doing exactly the same thing.

You do read some total shite on here. Total nonsense. If McInnes sets up a very basic system and SG can't counter it....sorry he got the better of him. That's sort of how any sport works.

We didn't play well our manager couldn't change that and they were organised and took their chances. Get over it.

Without Clancy and co, McInnes would have won nothing, same with Clarke at Kilmarnock. Having said that, we've struggled to break either down so probably didn't deserve to win either

Last edited:
Murty is a better manager than McInnes because he got the better of him.

That's how this works right?

Somebody should have given McInnes the remit before the game that he actually only gets credit if his team were to win playing free flowing football.

He got a draw at the Piggery doing exactly the same thing.

You do read some total shite on here. Total nonsense. If McInnes sets up a very basic system and SG can't counter it....sorry he got the better of him. That's sort of how any sport works.

We didn't play well our manager couldn't change that and they were organised and took their chances. Get over it.

That’s about the size of it.

Draws - 2
Rangers victories - 1
Sheep victories - 3

We have the better players and bigger budget.

The only conclusion I can draw is indeed that McInnes did outsmart Gerrard.
Why did McInnesiola fail to win three games then?

Back