Toronto Maple Leafs (Rangers related?)

kennymac

kejn0k.jpg

The Rangers brass had meetings with the TML people when they were over for the 2000 NARSA convention. Never heard any more about it.

Toronto Maple Leafs : formally Toronto St. Patrick's.
and I'm a huge Leafs fan,life is strange.:rolleyes:

Meant less in the times they were started as Ireland was under the crown.

For instance - Sir Sam Hughes - Orangeman, Liberal Conservative MP, Canadian Minister of War in the Great War, was a keen sports man and a regular player for the famous Toronto Shamrocks lacrosse club

That's an old pic, Bozak looks like Steven Stamkos in it.

They were only St Pats till Conn Smythe of good Ulster Scots stock bought them and promptly changed the name and colours to Blue and White, Toronto was the biggest Orange city in North America, every mayor of Toronto was an Orangeman since the city's inception up to David Crombie in the 70s, he was Jewish.

What a man Conn Smythe, war hero extraordinaire.

The St Pats sweaters are hideous, have to look at them for the next two games:mad:

Meant less in the times they were started as Ireland was under the crown.

For instance - Sir Sam Hughes - Orangeman, Liberal Conservative MP, Canadian Minister of War in the Great War, was a keen sports man and a regular player for the famous Toronto Shamrocks lacrosse club
Back in 60’s,70’s there would be huge Orange
parades down Younge streets,thousands cheering from the sidewalks.Alas totally
disappeared.:(

That's an old pic, Bozak looks like Steven Stamkos in it.

They were only St Pats till Conn Smythe of good Ulster Scots stock bought them and promptly changed the name and colours to Blue and White, Toronto was the biggest Orange city in North America, every mayor of Toronto was an Orangeman since the city's inception up to David Crombie in the 70s, he was Jewish.

The St Pats sweaters are hideous, have to look at them for the next two games:mad:
So were St Pats a separate entity? :oops:

;)

They were only St Pats till Conn Smythe of good Ulster Scots stock bought them and promptly changed the name and colours to Blue and White

[/QUOTE]

The name change to St. Pat's was only a marketing plan because of the large Irish population in Toronto, but the attendance never rose. The team was about to be sold to a group from Philadelphia until Conn Smythe bought the club and built Maple Leaf Gardens.

Feel the same way when my Hawks put that godawful green monstrosity on :)

You'll be happy with Brendan Perlini these days. Born in Guildford while his Dad Freddie was playing here in the UK. A great big guy I had the pleasure of playing against on numerous occassions.

You'll be happy with Brendan Perlini these days. Born in Guildford while his Dad Freddie was playing here in the UK. A great big guy I had the pleasure of playing against on numerous occassions.

And scoring for fun this past week. Kenny, could you ever catch Fred?

Perennial losers. 67 was along time ago.

If the same rules applied as they do in football, the Leafs would almost stroll to the Stanley cup every year, richest team in the league by far, salary cap is a very big leveler.

I'd love to see it in football and curb the spend your way to victory situation that we have now.

Thought they still had the walk in TO :confused:
As far as I know they do but I remember in the mid 80s they warned us due to decreasing numbers if we didn't get more numbers out they'd stop shutting off Yonge Street, I know well into the 90s Yonge Street was still getting closed down for the parade but don't know the situation now.

Used to love walking, some years it would start from Queens Park, along Wellesley Street, down Yonge to Queen Street, then North on Jarvis to Moss Park Amouries, other years it went in reverse and we ended up at Queens Park.

Now it's all about Prideo_O

As far as I know they do but I remember in the mid 80s they warned us due to decreasing numbers if we didn't get more numbers out they'd stop shutting off Yonge Street, I know well into the 90s Yonge Street was still getting closed down for the parade but don't know the situation now.

Used to love walking, some years it would start from Queens Park, along Wellesley Street, down Yonge to Queen Street, then North on Jarvis to Moss Park Amouries, other years it went in reverse and we ended up at Queens Park.

Now it's all about Prideo_O
Donald S Cherry now and again laments
missing the walk coming down Yonge street.:(

Donald S Cherry now and again laments
missing the walk coming down Yonge street.:(
Seriously?

I usually skip Coach's Corner as he's usually rambling on about minor hockey or other teams, of which I have no interest.

Once upon a time it was a highlight and wouldn't have missed it but I think the older he's getting, the more brain cells he's losing.

Seriously?

I usually skip Coach's Corner as he's usually rambling on about minor hockey or other teams, of which I have no interest.

Once upon a time it was a highlight and wouldn't have missed it but I think the older he's getting, the more brain cells he's losing.
You and I alike.I give five Cherry and McLean
a miss,but like listening to the outspoken
Burke in the second intermission.

You and I alike.I give five Cherry and McLean
a miss,but like listening to the outspoken
Burke in the second intermission.

Ron McLean is a true gent, Cherry is an arrogant buffoon.

Edit: Just read your comment about Cherry and the Orange walk, hes actually quite a good guy.:)):))

Last edited:
Seriously?

Donald S.Cherry and John Ferguson used to sing "The Old Orange Flute" on CFRB. I forget who the RC was on the morning show but that was what he got when Cherry and Ferguson were on.

Spurs fans at least they know they're not winning anything, Maple Leafs fans have the Liverpool "this is definitely our year!" lack of self-awareness.

Since coming to Canada I can understand why the fans of the diddy teams in Scotland cant stand Rangers and the tramps. All you listen to here is Toronto this, Toronto that, prime TV slot every Saturday night, pure Eastern bias. Calgary are the best Canadian team in the NHL at the moment, you wouldn't know

That said they do have a great coach and a good team just now, them v Boston in the playoffs again will be great. Media here will go absolutely mental if Toronto win that cup again.

Since coming to Canada I can understand why the fans of the diddy teams in Scotland cant stand Rangers and the tramps. All you listen to here is Toronto this, Toronto that, prime TV slot every Saturday night, pure Eastern bias. Calgary are the best Canadian team in the NHL at the moment, you wouldn't know

That said they do have a great coach and a good team just now, them v Boston in the playoffs again will be great. Media here will go absolutely mental if Toronto win that cup again.

Do you live in the Toronto area, if so, why the surprise?
My son lived in Calgary for a while and had to buy the premium NHL package to get the leafs games, it's most certainly not a Canada wide thing, don't really know what else you would be expecting in the TO area.

Back