Nathan-coombes

A huge aspect of our recruitment strategy in the seasons going forward should be giving our youth academy products a real go at it. Has worked for so many other big clubs.

Every team in the country has youth academy players playing in their first team apart from us. It’s baffling.

I suspect Nathan Young Coombes is going to buck the trend and we will see him at the start of next season, if he is not involved with the squad in the next 2 months. That is why he is here and not at the likes of Crystal Palace.

He knows he is going places in the game and also how to get there.

I’m all for seeing as many youngsters as possible coming through but striker and centre-back are the hardest roles to fill, at least physically. We might see him on the wing.:rolleyes:

I’d agree, he’s certainly not short of confidence and he looks that little bit ‘different’ to the others at his age. He certainly has a good chance to make something of this move. Has a bit of ‘attitude’ about him as well (which might need reigning in a bit - eventually).

Was it.thought you could only sign a 16 year old on a 1 year contract
The maximum length of contract for a 16 year old is three years. There are about 5 of the U17'S (2002) that were signed last spring on three year deals.
It would have been Nathan's choice to only sign a two year deal as Rangers will have offered three.

Mbude is the closest to first team material at the moment and should be on the bench for the remaining games
I think supporters need to be patient when those young guys emerge,look at Middleton. But the future looks promising with Mabude,N-C,young Rudden and no better than SG to mentor them. Just don't want too much pressure on them.

I think supporters need to be patient when those young guys emerge,look at Middleton. But the future looks promising with Mabude,N-C,young Rudden and no better than SG to mentor them. Just don't want too much pressure on them.
There is a fine line between patience and sickening the young players though.As I said elsewhere our youngsters are regarded as the best in the country ,even StPats have tried to lure a few of them away like Kennedy a few months ago.However players like Kelly ,Palmer,Atakyi etc won't hang about watching the shambles that the first team is while they sit in the stands.All the other teams are playing their youngsters why not us.Im not saying play them all together or even every game but we need to be braver with our kids.

Very good player.

Kennedy is very good and looks like a confident lad and could easily get a run out for us anytime soon there are others tho Kelly,Dickson,Serge,let's not forget Rudden,Mayo why not have a look and if doesn't work let them understand their time will arrive with little more time not a big deal but let's look.

There is a fine line between patience and sickening the young players though.As I said elsewhere our youngsters are regarded as the best in the country ,even StPats have tried to lure a few of them away like Kennedy a few months ago.However players like Kelly ,Palmer,Atakyi etc won't hang about watching the shambles that the first team is while they sit in the stands.All the other teams are playing their youngsters why not us.Im not saying play them all together or even every game but we need to be braver with our kids.
And the crowd need to be braver also.
Middleton got his chance earlier in the season, Irrespective of performances he is still a young lad and we as a support have to bare that in mind.

Harry Cochran player for hearts at 16

A 17 year old scored against us on Tuesday night

If he’s good he could easily be introduced

There are loads of youngsters showing there stuff all over Scotland first teams at all levels and none are really sinking so why not .

A very laudable thread on here calling for more youngsters to get their chance. Another thread puts Gerrard’s job on the line if he doesn’t take an unlikely number of points from our remaining 9 league games.

It’s an interesting dilemma.

A youngster starting for the likes of St Johnstone, Hibs or Motherwell is not under anything like the pressure of a youngster starting for Rangers - particularly in the current climate.

A very laudable thread on here calling for more youngsters to get their chance. Another thread puts Gerrard’s job on the line if he doesn’t take an unlikely number of points from our remaining 9 league games.

A youngster starting for the likes of St Johnstone, Hibs or Motherwell is not under anything like the pressure of a youngster starting for Rangers - particularly in the current climate.
Correct,our fans need to realise the days of star players routinely coming to Ibrox are gone .The market we are in gets us mediocrity.Or fading stars like we are seeing now.Some of our greatest ever players came through our youths making their debuts as 16,17,18year olds against far far better players than what are masquerading as footballers in our league just now.Mulholland said their is no reason why our young players can't be as good as the foreign kids.We need to give them the chance to do this

That doesn’t really explain why the sheep and timmy are playing youngsters though?

Pretty sure not that long ago Motherwell’s youngsters put together a longer winning run in this league than we’ve managed since we came back up.

If we can’t produce youngsters better than signings like Grezda, Jones, Lafferty, Sadiq, McAuley then what’s the point in having an academy?

Correct,our fans need to realise the days of star players routinely coming to Ibrox are gone .The market we are in gets us mediocrity.Or fading stars like we are seeing now.Some of our greatest ever players came through our youths making their debuts as 16,17,18year olds against far far better players than what are masquerading as footballers in our league just now.Mulholland said their is no reason why our young players can't be as good as the foreign kids.We need to give them the chance to do this

Mulholland seems another one who talks in cliches but when it comes to the crunch he hasn’t produced in all honesty. About time we went and got people in these positions with a proven track record.

I can understand the anxiousness to see these young guys given their chance, it is perhaps the most exciting aspect of supporting a club to see a young player come through and make it in your team.

However, when you see how clubs get away with kicking fck out of our players, then perhaps you can see why our coaching staff are careful in exposing our youngsters to some of the brutality of other Scottish sides.
Had we thrown a youngster into that match on Tuesday Clancy would have allowed him to be kicked off the park!

Quite a dilemma!

Mulholland seems another one who talks in cliches but when it comes to the crunch he hasn’t produced in all honesty. About time we went and got people in these positions with a proven track record.

We’ve just seen our u17 team become the first British team to win the Alkass Cup. Right now I’d say our Academy is the best functioning part of the Club. Getting some of those through the ranks is the next step.

Last edited:
Rubbish, our youth set up is probably the best in the country right now and the age group that recently won the Alkass cup will produce a few players for the first team.

We’ve just seen our u17 team become the first British team to win the Alkass Cup. Right now I’d say our Academy is the best functioning part of the Club. Getting some if those through the ranks is the next step.

Winning means %^*& all at youth level though.

The academy is there to make first team players like it or not. We should be aiming for the best we can get.

It's the old adage, isn't it that if they're old enough they're good enough,DJ is the classic example of that.

Rubbish, our youth set up is probably the best in the country right now and the age group that recently won the Alkass cup will produce a few players for the first team.

Where is the evidence that it’s the best in the country? Ever other team is producing players apart from us.

I’d be seriously shocked if any of that team ever become a first team regular for us. We’ve always had good teams at that age, it’s the most important ages 16-18 that we’re awful at.

Until we get serious about bringing through our own it won’t change. It needs to come from the top down that we’re going to put faith in our own. As long as we keep signing shite like Docherty, Jones, Grezda and whoever else we’ll keep stifling our own talent.

we are too slow to blood young players. we had 17 year olds in the Aberdeen team the other night, so the likes of Stephen Kelly must be worth a try
But these young Aberdeen players are protected by the referee. If a 17 year-old pulls on a Rangers jersey he gets less protection than a duck during hunting season

You must recognise there is a big, big difference between playing for Rangers and playing for any other team.
For example, had the sheep lost on Tuesday, McInnes would have been forgiven and his players protected by the sheep support.
We play a “kid” and he doesn’t set the heather on fire on day one, he’s written off by a sizeable chunk of our support.

You must recognise there is a big, big difference between playing for Rangers and playing for any other team.
For example, had the sheep lost on Tuesday, McInnes would have been forgiven and his players protected by the sheep support.
We play a “kid” and he doesn’t set the heather on fire on day one, he’s written off by a sizeable chunk of our support.

I know but we need to get over that mentality .

Inter Milan played a 16 year old tonight .

Some boys mature quicker than others in football terms . I’m not saying start him every game but bring him through let’s see the lad play we keep hearing about this “ pathway to the first team “ while seeing the same old faces start and fail to win game after game .

It can’t continue .

Come on behave after 6 years of neglect we finally have a proper youth structure in place, we just won a prestigious youth tournament against the Real Madrid and Roma. I would say its unlikely both those giants have a 'bad' batch of kids so maybe just maybe we give it a chance and we could be heavily rewarded

Come on behave after 6 years of neglect we finally have a proper youth structure in place, we just won a prestigious youth tournament against the Real Madrid and Roma. I would say its unlikely both those giants have a 'bad' batch of kids so maybe just maybe we give it a chance and we could be heavily rewarded

And Hamilton put Basel or similar out of the UYL last year.

I’ll say it again, we should be striving for the best and going for someone with a track record of producing talent.

Who have we produced?

We are producing the now our youth teams are dominating most age groups winning in the European fixtures they are all about too kick off soon if we allow them to show us ,to be fair we might bottle it as per usual,I tell u now we have youths who are better than some first team fraudsters..

If you're good enough, you're old enough.
Derek Johnstone made his debut at 16, scoring twice. Five weeks later he scored the winning goal against Celtic in the League cup final.

NYC isn’t playing in the reserves yet. But our reserve players should be ready for the first team when called upon because that’s what they are there for.

NYC isn’t playing in the reserves yet. But our reserve players should be ready for the first team when called upon because that’s what they are there for.
Dapo, Mcpake and Kelly have cruised reserve football despite their younger years. Kelly for me should get his chance sooner rather than later

I know but we need to get over that mentality .

Inter Milan played a 16 year old tonight .

Some boys mature quicker than others in football terms . I’m not saying start him every game but bring him through let’s see the lad play we keep hearing about this “ pathway to the first team “ while seeing the same old faces start and fail to win game after game .

It can’t continue .
Great idea.
How do we do that?

Not true Niall McGinn is almost 32 and Connor McLennan is 20 in October.

Nathan Young Coombes looks a good prospect.

I didn't make the game yesterday, but he scored a hat- trick against Dundee United Under 18's. Not Dundee United, not Dundee United Reserves but Dundee United Under 18's.

Under 18's is a world away from Reserve football which is a world away from first team football. None of the players who played yesterday started for the reserves on Monday.

Does anyone know what the script is with Nathan-coombes? Why did he come all the way up to Glasgow moving away from the Chelsea youth set up? Away from that set up and away from friends and family at the age of 15

You'd think it would be the other way round. Does seem a strange move for the kid. Maybe not strange but against the grain. Delighted either way

Does anyone know what the script is with Nathan-coombes? Why did he come all the way up to Glasgow moving away from the Chelsea youth set up? Away from that set up and away from friends and family at the age of 15

You'd think it would be the other way round. Does seem a strange move for the kid. Maybe not strange but against the grain. Delighted either way
Released by Chelsea !
Offered better terms at Watford
Boy is quoted as saying Gerrard factor was a big influence
Chelsea must have some amount of talent in their youths to release NYC but hopefully this makes up for the loss of Gilmour

Just had 22 players called up at various international levels. That’s not talking in cliches, merely a fact

We’ve always had high number of players playing in young age groups.

That’s always going to happen when you’re the biggest club in the country. Same as Real, Juve, Bayern.

How many do we actually produce that are first team players?

We’ve always had high number of players playing in young age groups.

That’s always going to happen when you’re the biggest club in the country. Same as Real, Juve, Bayern.

How many do we actually produce that are first team players?

Right now we are still experiencing the legacy of having our our youth development neglected (and then some) for 6+ years. This changed a few years ago with first Warburton and then Mulholland basically revolutionizing the set up from facilities and philosophy and recruitment to training regime and coaches.

You can't possibly expect first team players coming through the youth in only 2/3 years, can you?

So in the meantime whilst you are developing these young players through the year groups with these new concepts you have other indicating progress factors, these include results (i know its not all about results at that age) and some of these have been very impressive. Last year beating some of the best teams in Europe over 90 mins. This season winning internationally acclaimed youth tournaments, not only winning but winning with a possession based, technical style. Number of players playing for their country's youth groups including Portugal

We also had that independent body that rated the youth development at Rangers as best in the country and up there with the best in the UK.

In essence its true youth development should be judged by quality and quantity of youth players reaching the first team. However it is too early to place final judgement on Mulholland after 2/3 years in the job however the signs are VERY positive.

I've actually never felt this positive over our youth development.

Anyone who watched Nathan Young-Coombes in the Alkass International Cup will have been impressed with his performances and the promise he shows. He could be a great signing for us and already looks like we should be offering him a longer contract. He could turn out a real coup and, potentially, make the break through.

Equally, anyone who watched, will know that he is a mile away from the first team. He's not physically ready for it or 'street-wise' enough for it. He has plenty developing to do yet. The likes of Rudden, though inferior in terms of technical ability, will get their chance before Young-Coombes.

Last edited:

his mother has moved up to Glasgow with him, which is a good indication

We have the best set up in the country but unfortunately that is not what it’s all about. It’s about getting players in the 1st team nothing else. If we get one out that group we are doing well.

Back