Serie A Forgotten Players

Daniel Fonseca at Roma scored some sublime goals, seemed to be world class overhead kicks every week on C4
There’s a name I’ve not heard for a while,him and Enzo Francescoli where the big Uraguyan players in the league at the time.

Pepi Signori never a week went by with him not scoring....Ps tried to find Roberto Mancinci back heel goal from corner kick plus one following week player /team unknown which was better on YouTube ..Hope all the oldies can help

If you enjoy reminiscing about serie A from bygone days, then I'd recommend the Golazzo podcast hosted by James Richardson that is released every Wednesday (I get it from Spotify). He often takes you back to the 80s and 90s to feature a specific player or team. Intro music is from C4 Football Italia!

I liked Aaron Winter at Lazio and then Inter. Quick player who had a reasonable goal ratio for a midfielder but who always seemed to be the one dropped in any 3 foreigner ruling with Gascogne, Doll, Reidle and then Boksic.

Am i right in saying he made his inter debut the same day as Ronaldo?

Loved growing up watching serie A in the late 90s. Could probably name more players from around 98ish when i was 10, than I could current serie A players.

You're right mate. If I recall correctly he came on as a late sub when they were 1-0 down and scored 2 absolute screamers to win the game.

Tomas Skuhravy. Had a stormer of a World Cup for Czechoslovakia in 1990 and was snapped up by Genoa and helped them to 4th in Serie A, their highest ever finish, and the semi finals of the uefa cup.

Loved the inter milan team early 2000's, adriano, recoba, obafemi martins, julio cruz, kallon. Decent attackers to choose from.

Pietro Vierchowod, Sampdoria. Another great defender. Like Baresi he could win the ball and snap a player at the same time. Look totally innocent whilst doing it.

Enzo Francescoli.Was once voted greatest Uruguayan player in history which isn't bad considering they won the World Cup twice.
Alessandro Melli.Goalscoring machine at a time when we could realistically buy Italian strikers.Sadly we never got him.

So good that Zidane named his son after him.

Bepe Signori is probably not as mentioned as oft as he should be - recognized etc, but seems to be overlooked in comparison to some other players who kicked about at the time.
Always remember him for his 1 step penalties, brilliant!! Good call mate

Always remember Gianluca Lentini signing for AC Milan in 93 as the most expensive player in the world. 13 million ish. He was rid rotten.

Loved Milan back in the day

Last edited:
Always remember Gianluca Lentini signing for AC Milan in 93 as the most expensive player in the world. 13 million ish. He was rid rotten.

Descrip
Some team they had back then, just quality!! Side note great to see Gattuso doing well with them and in CL place where they belong!

First thing that comes to mind when I think of 90s Serie A.
Actually remember watching it on Football Italia on channel 4 at the time.

This was who I was going to post about. Was it him that had a nasty car crash and nearly pegged it?

Pepi Signori never a week went by with him not scoring....Ps tried to find Roberto Mancinci back heel goal from corner kick plus one following week player /team unknown which was better on YouTube ..Hope all the oldies can help
This one?

Enzo Francescoli.Was once voted greatest Uruguayan player in history which isn't bad considering they won the World Cup twice.
Alessandro Melli.Goalscoring machine at a time when we could realistically buy Italian strikers.Sadly we never got him.

Francescoli was a fantastic player and a grade A mad bastard.

Back