Mark Allen doesn’t fool me - what has he contributed at Rangers, asks Kris Boyd

Bonnyloyal

THERE’S nothing exciting about being a Rangers fan right now.

If Jermain Defoe genuinely believes otherwise, then he’s playing for the wrong club

It’s excruciating. It’s exasperating.

But it’s definitely not exciting.

I’m sorry, but after being knocked out of two cup competitions by Aberdeen in Glasgow it’s just totally unacceptable.

Whenever people compare Rangers to Celtic they mention the gulf in finances.

But that’s the same with Aberdeen and Rangers and yet you wouldn’t know it looking at results and performances between the pair this season.

Defoe probably thought he was saying what fans wanted to hear.

Trust me, it wasn’t.

This isn’t Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth or even Tottenham he’s playing for now. It’s Rangers, where these sorts of results are just not on.

Don’t get me wrong, Derek McInnes’ side were well worth their win at Ibrox and are in the Scottish Cup semi-final on merit.

They earned the right to have a crack at Celtic next. But for me it only showed up the glaring failings at my old club right now — with far too many people taking more than they’re giving.

Steven Gerrard will be the first to admit that he’s made mistakes, but he isn’t the man to blame.

I’d be more inclined to look at the job being done by the club’s Head of Recruitment.

Mark Allen is quick enough to jump around changing rooms when the team wins, but what has he actually contributed?

He paints himself as the mastermind in everything that’s good when Rangers are winning, but he doesn’t fool me.

For a start, why are there four left-wingers at the club in Glenn Middleton, Ryan Kent, Jamie Murphy and Eros Grezda?

Jordan Jones is another one on the way with Jake Hastie expected to follow

That just doesn’t make any sense to me.

It’s the same with seven central midfielders — Steven Davis, Ryan Jack, Scott Arfield, Ross McCrorie, Graham Dorrans, Andy Halliday and Glen Kamara. Yet there’s only Daniel Candeias who can play wide right.

That’s a total imbalance and stops Gerrard from being able to make changes when things aren’t going well. Look at the Pittodrie Cup clash when he didn’t make a single
substitution. That tells you everything about how the squad is all wrong.

I also look at the left-back, Borna Barisic, and see a player who doesn’t want to be at Rangers.

Every time I see him he just goes through the motions and I don’t get it. Whenever the going gets tough he seems to be injured

The best left-back in the building is Lee Wallace and yet he can’t even get into any of the squads with midfielder Halliday the second choice.

That whole episode just stinks.

Then there’s the decision to hand Alfredo Morelos a new contract when he was already tied down for another couple of seasons.

It just struck me as a massive waste of money, handing him a bigger deal. Morelos should be giving Rangers more, not the other way around.

But it’s like Gers still have the mindset that the only way to solve their problems is by throwing money at any situations that crop up.

Some people say that’s the answer now with the team but that’s too easy and simple

Gerrard isn’t totally blameless in all this, by the way. I’m sure he’d say himself there are things he wishes he’d done differently.

I also think he’s getting cut some slack simply because of who he is.

The supporters aren’t giving him a hard time and that’s down to his reputation in the game as a player.

They weren’t so slow to have a go at Mark Warburton or Pedro Caixinha, were they? Graeme Murty got absolutely filleted by some.

Gerrard’s getting away with it right now because of his name, but that won’t last forever and he’ll know that.

He says all the right things when the team loses but there’s only so many times he can repeat himself.

That said, I just think the players need to stand up and be counted.

Some of them have worked for four managers now, so what does that say about them as individuals?

It must have been alarming for Gerrard on Tuesday night given just how easily his team was beaten.

We can all lose games of football but there’s a way to lose. He must be asking himself what he needs to do to motivate these players for 90 minutes.

Some people will blame him for that but for me it boils down to each player individually.

I wouldn’t criticise Gerrard for bringing in Defoe and Davis because, on paper, they should have been good additions.

It’s surprised most people that they’ve not been better. It’s just not worked out.

But they’ve at least had great careers until now, so I’d be more critical of the ones around them who don’t seem to have the hunger to be successful.

You just never see Rangers winning ugly these days.

During the nine in a row era — and during my time there under Walter Smith — it wasn’t always open, expansive football. The performances were often ordinary.

8-0 victory

But those teams still knew how to grind out wins and that’s a trait this current team just doesn’t seem to have.

Put it like this, had our team drawn with Aberdeen at Pittodrie there was no way in this world we would have lost a replay at Ibrox.

Aberdeen wouldn’t have got two cracks at beating us.

But Rangers right now are a team who are beatable — and that must be extremely worrying for Gerrard.

Listen, they’ll finish second in the league, that’s a given. They might not be able to catch Celtic but equally they’re not going to be caught by the Dons or ourselves at Kilmarnock.

In the remaining games, though, their players are playing for their futures

I’ve noticed there’s an ever increasing shift towards making Allen the fall guy. Now, he’s clearly culpable in some way, but the manager has the final say so I don’t think it’s really sensible to continue to deflect the blame, when at the end of the day, Allen simply provides options and the players in the squad are still better than what’s in Aberdeen’s squad and Allen isn’t the man on the touchline when they’re papping us out of cups.

An article that gets some things right but then spouts crap like Wallace and another contract for Morelos ( added value on selling him). The biggest take is Boyd is always on the end of a phone to stick the boot in. Also he’s written off his own team catching us prior to a match between us. Boyd is a money grabbing dick.

A typical Kris Boyd article.

Some decent points, some completely inaccurate ones, a pointless defence of one of his mates and all wrapped in his best Chris Sutton impression.

It's a shame. If he changed the shock jock routine he might get more people paying attention.

Last edited:
Well I am still excited being a Rangers fan Kris.

Didn't expect to be pulling up trees in SG's first season and the DF hasn't been there much longer (at least as far as the full authority of that position is concerned).

We are inconsistent and need an increase in quality over the next transfer window or two to rectify that but that will happen. Yup, desite current failings, I am still excited.

What wouldn't excite me too much though is watching the type of dross Kilmarnock and Aberdeen serve up to their supporters week after week. That's what I call excruciating.

"Put it like this, had our team drawn with Aberdeen at Pittodrie there was no way in this world we would have lost a replay at Ibrox."

Let's put it like this Kris, the only time we won at Pittodrie in your first spell here was when you YOU were injured and not playing under Le Guen. Walter went three and a half seasons before winning up there in his final season.

Shall we mention the 3-0 home scudding in the cup Hibs gave us with you in the team ? The St Johnstone defeat in the League Cup ?

Still fancy playing Billy Big Bollocks ?

The way i see it Gerrard and Allen are as 1 they are a team if 1 is not working out they both must take the same level of criticism and or praise if it is going well .

Just when you think Boyd can’t get any worse he goes full retard !
hqdefault.jpg

I’ve noticed there’s an ever increasing shift towards making Allen the fall guy. Now, he’s clearly culpable in some way, but the manager has the final say so I don’t think it’s really sensible to continue to deflect the blame, when at the end of the day, Allen simply provides options and the players in the squad are still better than what’s in Aberdeen’s squad and Allen isn’t the man on the touchline when they’re papping us out of cups.
Agreed, I'd think SG is a pretty determined guy and wouldn't take a back seat to Allen.. So hard to throw Allen under the bus.... Budget constraints aren't helping. Better players needed BUT with heart and determination.

I'd note the bit about how he knows about Allen "jumping around changing rooms when the team wins".

Allen is a prat who is not well liked.

I'm confident he'll be away in the summer.

Folk have to differentiate between the role and the man, it's a good idea to have a DOF, it's a bad idea to have one who puts so many people's noses out of joint.

And pricks in our support will still cheer that fat bastard on Saturday.

No wonder the press treat us like fools
Guess what there’s a lot in what he said there I agree with then sheep like you who toe the party line and sleep walk through a club that’s going absolutely nowhere, you call me a prick, I call you a blind prick.

I'd note the bit about how he knows about Allen "jumping around changing rooms when the team wins".

Folk have to differentiate between the role and the man, it's a good idea to have a DOF, it's a bad idea to have one who puts so many people's noses out of joint.
Why do we not hear about this until results go bad?

Please expand.

I don't understand what's wrong with celebrating in that manner after an important win. Seems like a weird stick to beat him with. At least it shows he's passionate.

Back