Mark Allen doesn’t fool me - what has he contributed at Rangers, asks Kris Boyd

There's some truths in it even though I can't stand the baldy wank. I don't understand what type of squad we're building with so many similar players. We are overloaded with midfielders and I don't see many of them pushing us on.

I still don't think there's a spine to this team either.

I really wish KB would shut the f.uck up.

I loved him when he played for us, but he’s working hard to make me really dislike him.

Lee Wallace best left back at the club. I’m afraid he lost all credibility right there

Who do you think's better?

If you say Barisic or Flanagan I might have to shoot myself.

And though Halliday's done reasonably well when called upon he's still not better than a fit Lee Wallace.

THERE’S nothing exciting about being a Rangers fan right now.

If Jermain Defoe genuinely believes otherwise, then he’s playing for the wrong club

It’s excruciating. It’s exasperating.

But it’s definitely not exciting.

I’m sorry, but after being knocked out of two cup competitions by Aberdeen in Glasgow it’s just totally unacceptable.

Whenever people compare Rangers to Celtic they mention the gulf in finances.

But that’s the same with Aberdeen and Rangers and yet you wouldn’t know it looking at results and performances between the pair this season.

Defoe probably thought he was saying what fans wanted to hear.

Trust me, it wasn’t.

This isn’t Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth or even Tottenham he’s playing for now. It’s Rangers, where these sorts of results are just not on.

Don’t get me wrong, Derek McInnes’ side were well worth their win at Ibrox and are in the Scottish Cup semi-final on merit.

They earned the right to have a crack at Celtic next. But for me it only showed up the glaring failings at my old club right now — with far too many people taking more than they’re giving.

Steven Gerrard will be the first to admit that he’s made mistakes, but he isn’t the man to blame.

I’d be more inclined to look at the job being done by the club’s Head of Recruitment.

Mark Allen is quick enough to jump around changing rooms when the team wins, but what has he actually contributed?

He paints himself as the mastermind in everything that’s good when Rangers are winning, but he doesn’t fool me.

For a start, why are there four left-wingers at the club in Glenn Middleton, Ryan Kent, Jamie Murphy and Eros Grezda?

Jordan Jones is another one on the way with Jake Hastie expected to follow

That just doesn’t make any sense to me.

It’s the same with seven central midfielders — Steven Davis, Ryan Jack, Scott Arfield, Ross McCrorie, Graham Dorrans, Andy Halliday and Glen Kamara. Yet there’s only Daniel Candeias who can play wide right.

That’s a total imbalance and stops Gerrard from being able to make changes when things aren’t going well. Look at the Pittodrie Cup clash when he didn’t make a single
substitution. That tells you everything about how the squad is all wrong.

I also look at the left-back, Borna Barisic, and see a player who doesn’t want to be at Rangers.

Every time I see him he just goes through the motions and I don’t get it. Whenever the going gets tough he seems to be injured

The best left-back in the building is Lee Wallace and yet he can’t even get into any of the squads with midfielder Halliday the second choice.

That whole episode just stinks.

Then there’s the decision to hand Alfredo Morelos a new contract when he was already tied down for another couple of seasons.

It just struck me as a massive waste of money, handing him a bigger deal. Morelos should be giving Rangers more, not the other way around.

But it’s like Gers still have the mindset that the only way to solve their problems is by throwing money at any situations that crop up.

Some people say that’s the answer now with the team but that’s too easy and simple

Gerrard isn’t totally blameless in all this, by the way. I’m sure he’d say himself there are things he wishes he’d done differently.

I also think he’s getting cut some slack simply because of who he is.

The supporters aren’t giving him a hard time and that’s down to his reputation in the game as a player.

They weren’t so slow to have a go at Mark Warburton or Pedro Caixinha, were they? Graeme Murty got absolutely filleted by some.

Gerrard’s getting away with it right now because of his name, but that won’t last forever and he’ll know that.

He says all the right things when the team loses but there’s only so many times he can repeat himself.

That said, I just think the players need to stand up and be counted.

Some of them have worked for four managers now, so what does that say about them as individuals?

It must have been alarming for Gerrard on Tuesday night given just how easily his team was beaten.

We can all lose games of football but there’s a way to lose. He must be asking himself what he needs to do to motivate these players for 90 minutes.

Some people will blame him for that but for me it boils down to each player individually.

I wouldn’t criticise Gerrard for bringing in Defoe and Davis because, on paper, they should have been good additions.

It’s surprised most people that they’ve not been better. It’s just not worked out.

But they’ve at least had great careers until now, so I’d be more critical of the ones around them who don’t seem to have the hunger to be successful.

You just never see Rangers winning ugly these days.

During the nine in a row era — and during my time there under Walter Smith — it wasn’t always open, expansive football. The performances were often ordinary.

8-0 victory

But those teams still knew how to grind out wins and that’s a trait this current team just doesn’t seem to have.

Put it like this, had our team drawn with Aberdeen at Pittodrie there was no way in this world we would have lost a replay at Ibrox.

Aberdeen wouldn’t have got two cracks at beating us.

But Rangers right now are a team who are beatable — and that must be extremely worrying for Gerrard.

Listen, they’ll finish second in the league, that’s a given. They might not be able to catch Celtic but equally they’re not going to be caught by the Dons or ourselves at Kilmarnock.

In the remaining games, though, their players are playing for their futures[/QUOTE
Cant see anything wrong with this

Boyd has a tendency to mouth off more in his newspaper column than he does when he is doing his summarising stint on SKY. Probable reason is that there is no opportunity to openly challenge what he writes in the newspaper while, even though she seems a very nice lady, Hayley McQueen is unlikely to allow him to drivel on without her asking Boyd to justify his comments.

Quite the hatchet job from that fucking imbecile. Never ceases to amaze me how a guy that essentially stole a wage in his second spell can have the brass neck to go on about the days of Sir Walter and ‘standards’. Has he forgotten that he was also Involved in one of the most embarrassing and shambolic Rangers set-ups in history?

In an article littered with attention seeking bullshit it’s hard to pick out just one, but the criticism of Allen taking plaudits was particularly strange. I genuinely can’t remember reading/hearing any Allen interviews of note, never mind one where he was milking any praise.

A typical Kris Boyd article.

Some decent points, some completely inaccurate ones, a pointless defence of one of his mates and all wrapped in his best Chris Sutton impression.

It's a shame. If he changed the shock jock routine he might get more people paying attention.

Sums it up .

He’s right about the imbalance in our squad , and our signings . He’s right that some of these guys have had far too many chances under 4 managers .

But he’s a Fcking mile out about lee Wallace and Alfie , and he’s got a damn cheek cLling out players atttiudes when he returned to Ibrox overweight immobile and stunk the place out with horrendous performances .

Give your mouth a rest Kris .

If John Brown had written that everyone would be creaming themselves on here.

Regardless of your opinion on Boyd, most of that is accurate.
Wallace is our best left back?
Hastie is a left winger?
Morelos shouldn’t of got a new deal?
Insinuating its Allen who decides transfers even though Gerrard has the final say?
Having a go at Allen for being a friend of the squad instead of acting like a suit?

He is a fat rocket, and its unbelieveable how the weirdo can sit and write a column about us consistently whilst he plays for a team in our league.

The most unprofessional footballer there is.

Enjoy cosying up to that horrible poet liar Clarke, you are no friend of this club Boyd.

He’s hardly kicked a ball in two years FFS
Barasic has hardly kick a ball since he signed for us, so your point would be what exactly?
Allen/ Gerrard have signed 2 players from 1 club we played twice and beat them fairly convincingly, breaking down our signings and it actually doesn’t make good reading, the Grezda signing is actually a signing any sane person wouldn’t go near but we still went ahead and bought a player who had been injured for almost a year and we have yet to see what Gerrard’s lavish praise of this guy is all about.

Anyone agreeing with Boyd's comments, go back and read it again. And then pretend that it was John Hartson who wrote (!) it.

Boys should STFU. He is, like many of our ex-players, an Uncle Tom.

Wallace is our best left back?
Hastie is a left winger?
Morelos shouldn’t of got a new deal?
Insinuating its Allen who decides transfers even though Gerrard has the final say?
Having a go at Allen for being a friend of the squad instead of acting like a suit?

He is a fat rocket, and its unbelieveable how the weirdo can sit and write a column about us consistently whilst he plays for a team in our league.

The most unprofessional footballer there is.

Enjoy cosying up to that horrible poet liar Clarke, you are no friend of this club Boyd.
I'd add to that, a guy who claims to be a Rangers die hard, a die hard who seems to like taking pot shots left right and centre against us. He can see the situation with the media and Rangers and not only does he not try and rectify the situation by talking us up, but he gives the rest of the biased media ammo to continue with the assault. He's doing us no favours regardless of whether you agree with his points or not.

Wallace has barely kicked a ball since Warburton left FFS. As disappointing as Barisic has been the idea that a guy who can barely run and let's be honest not exactly burst a gut to get back fit in that time is a better option at left back is absolute nonsense.

Based on what?!

Wallace is good to go, and has been for months. give him a run of games and I think he would offer more than a disinterested Barasic. that's my opinion

and its based on watching Lee Wallace for the best part of 8 years

The media have got a sniff of the panic merchants on here and are starting to ramp up the discontent. People who dont know how to process information without other people telling them what to think will soon be joining the quick tempered fans in wanting us to rip it up and start again.

Last edited:
He hasn't written anything wrong even if I don't agree with all of it. As for Wallace, it's his mate. His opinion on Barisic is spot on IMHO.

"with far too many people taking more than they’re giving".

Someone should tell Boyd that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Is the Wallace point accurate ? Should we not have given Alfie a new deal ?

Most of it is bollocks.

No those bits were nonsense.

Squad balance.
Defoe comments.
Our budget compared to Aberdeen.
Barisic going through the motions.
4 managers gone due to some of these players.
Gerrard getting it easier than previous managers.
We can't win ugly.
Players playing for futures.

All of the above are true.

Why are folk saying Boyd is talking pish when this is what the majority on here have been spouting since Tuesday ? It’s like has came on here and copy and pasted all the ‘highlights’ of FF.

Based on what?!
Based on how he played a few years ago
Despite the glaring example of Steve Davis there are many who assume players are exactly the same as they were when they were at their peak and never decline
Gerrard has clearly shown he'd play Wallace if he could do the job
Wallace has clearly shown the money means more to him than going somewhere else and proving he is still a player
Let's see what he does next season

"During the nine in a row era — and during my time there under Walter Smith — it wasn’t always open, expansive football. The performances were often ordinary.

But those teams still knew how to grind out wins and that’s a trait this current team just doesn’t seem to have.

Put it like this, had our team drawn with Aberdeen at Pittodrie there was no way in this world we would have lost a replay at Ibrox.

Aberdeen wouldn’t have got two cracks at beatin us".

He is 100% spot on with this part.

No those bits were nonsense.

Squad balance.
Defoe comments.
Our budget compared to Aberdeen.
Barisic going through the motions.
4 managers gone due to some of these players.
Gerrard getting it easier than previous managers.
We can't win ugly.
Players playing for futures.

All of the above are true.

Fair enough but as a poster previously pointed out , any decent points made are just lost in his stupid nonsense about Wallace being the best left back in the building , the guy can hardly run ffs ( empathy from boyd I suppose ) and his comments about Alfie are a joke .

And as I said myself the cheek of the guy bumming up his “ We never let that happen in our day “ stuff , has he conveniently forgotten about his second spell , where he was as much use as a traffic cone stuffed with quarter pounders ?

"During the nine in a row era — and during my time there under Walter Smith — it wasn’t always open, expansive football. The performances were often ordinary.

Aberdeen wouldn’t have got two cracks at beatin us".

He is 100% spot on with this part.

Aberdeen knocked Smith's Rangers out the cup at Hampden in 1995.

Tuesday was a sore one but let's not rewrite history like it's something that's never happened before.

9 years ago today Boyd was in a Rangers team that were 2 goals up TWICE on Dundee United in the cup and blew it before losing in a replay.

Does he ever write negative articles about peter lawell and celtics head of transfers?

maybe he would if they were sitting in 2nd place 8 points behind us and had been dumped out of both cups in Glasgow by Aberdeen

but until then we wont know

The way i see it Gerrard and Allen are as 1 they are a team if 1 is not working out they both must take the same level of criticism and or praise if it is going well .

You do know IF Gerrard left Mark Allen would continue to identify players based on our "footballing strategy"? That's why he's here. To save us from having to renew the squad.

Think about that for a minute.

A fat wage thief continuing to prove that the lard has now reached what few grey cells were there to start off with.

How is he allowed to write articles about the team he is about to play against.is this not bringing the game into disrepute. There are very few ex players I dislike as much as this self important, vain, rotund wanker!

A typical Kris Boyd article.

Some decent points, some completely inaccurate ones, a pointless defence of one of his mates and all wrapped in his best Chris Sutton impression.

It's a shame. If he changed the shock jock routine he might get more people paying attention.

I agree with this.

The constant berating on here of anyone who speaks publicly about Rangers is tiring. He is giving an opinion, so whether you think it’s right or wrong doesn’t really matter. It’s the same people who can’t wait to slate him time after time. Have you ever considered just not reading his articles if they bother you so much?

One or two points I might grumble with but other than that Boyd has near as well hit the nail on the head.

We have an unbalanced squad, after 3 years still await a no.10 but more importantly we have a squad of losers - imagine not scoring in our 3 games in Glasgow against the Sheep this season & 2 of them cup ties.

SG will need to grow a thick skin because the media will be after him now that we will be trophyless season once more. We have a very tough 9 games remaining - any possibilty of being caught for 2nd place and the knives will be out.

The main thing is that if Gerrard is happy with Mark Allen then that's all that matters, not the opinion of Kris Boys or anyone else.

Just doesn’t sit right with me that he is writing articles about us 2 days before we play his team.

Can you imagine the reaction if Morelos wrote an article on what he thought of Kilmarnock 2 days before the game? Is there really any difference?

Back