Kilmarnock Press Conference

Ah so he shouts alot. The same bizarre reason people want McGregor to be captain.

Halliday will undoubtedly be hurting more than most of his team mates, but the sign of a proper captain is dragging a team to wins when they're up against it. I've never really seen Halliday or Tavernier have this effect.
Did you not see the old firm. Without Halliday starting like a man possessed we wouldn’t have got on the front foot like we did.

The manager clearly sees and knows what needs changed going forward. But he cannot do it outside of the transfer window.

I think there will be two or three regulars out on their arse come the summer. He's blatantly not happy with some of them.

Exactly, going by those responses to the questions the gaffer knows exactly what he needs and I expect a few will be offski in the summer .

We seem to rotate through the same players for the presser.

Guessing it’s deliberate?

Halliday
Tav
Candeias
Jack
Goldson

Don’t see as much of Arfield as you’d expect. McGregor is pretty god awful at it. Wallace was, of course, a regular. As was Miller. Davis and Defoe would do well, I’m sure.

McCrorie - be nice to see him get trained up. Get an occasional Middleton.

Seems clear it's players that are comfortable speaking to the media. Fair enough imo - professional footballers shouldn't have to do it if they don't want to.

Shouts don't have to be negative. Shouting an encouraging team mates and trying to show what it means to be at the club.

Look at our best captain's - were they vocal? Of course they were.

Take it you don't really like Halliday?

Tavernier does his fair amount of shouting too. Just last week after Candeias scored at Easter Road he was on at him to get a grip for not wanting to celebrate.

Very wrong. I love Halliday as a guy and like him as a player. The improvements in his performances this season has been excellent.

[B]Rangers Football Club[/B]‏Verified account @[B]RangersFC[/B] 14s15 seconds ago
More
SG: Two major doubts in Ryan Jack and Scott Arfield. Jack has a foot and calf issue, Arfield also has a calf issue. Grezda is back in full training. Katic has been ill for a few days so I'll speak to him today. Jamie (Murphy) is on course for the back end of the season.

Arfield's inability to stay fit realy needs to be discussed.

His fitness this season has been terrible. There's no getting away from it.

Seems clear it's players that are comfortable speaking to the media. Fair enough imo - professional footballers shouldn't have to do it if they don't want to.

We should be training players though.

Fairly basic skill to have if you’re representing a top club.

We should be training players though.

Fairly basic skill to have if you’re representing a top club.

I don't disagree; that'll be down the list in terms of things we need to sort over the summer though.

Chucking people out when they obviously hate it doesn't help - Ejaria's stuff was painful at times.

[B]Rangers Football Club[/B]‏Verified account @[B]RangersFC[/B] 14s15 seconds ago
More
SG: Two major doubts in Ryan Jack and Scott Arfield. Jack has a foot and calf issue, Arfield also has a calf issue. Grezda is back in full training. Katic has been ill for a few days so I'll speak to him today. Jamie (Murphy) is on course for the back end of the season.

Both were useless mid-week (and countless other times) - and if they were injured, the Gaffer shouldn't have played them.

Time for some steel in our team!

I’m a bit worried with the not done much this week tactically. That’s exactly where we’ve been going wrong. We don’t have a plan B at all. If a team scores first we struggle if they sit in.

Glad to hear they'll be changes at the weekend.

I doubt they'll be the ones I want to see though.

Old faithful journeyman like Candeias and Jack will probably keep their space. Despite adding nothing.

Wonder how many players who played midweek,feel like they have something to prove.on Saturday?

By the sounds of Gerrard some of them won't get the chance to prove it!!

I'd expect Barisic and Candeias to be dropped and if Jack and Arfield are toiling another 2 changes in midfield.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Worrall Halliday
Davis McCrorie Kamara
Morelos Defoe Kent
would be my guess for tomorrow.

Glad to hear they'll be changes at the weekend.

I doubt they'll be the ones I want to see though.

Old faithful journeyman like Candeias and Jack will probably keep their space. Despite adding nothing.
Did you miss the bit about Jack being a major doubt ?

I'd expect Barisic and Candeias to be dropped and if Jack and Arfield are toiling another 2 changes in midfield.

McGregor
Davis McCrorie Kamara
Morelos Defoe Kent

You forgot katic mate other than that spot on

So Kamara/Davis/McCrorie as the midfield 3?

Certainly looks like at least 1 of Jack and Arfield will be missing, maybe both. I’m also fairly sure this ‘calf issue’ with Arfield had been ongoing for some time now. Isn’t that what has kept him out fairly frequently? Vague recollection that Jack may have been ‘carrying’ the foot injury for a wee while as well.

Halliday for Barisic is a certainty.

He's not happy with certain players, interesting to see who's dropped tomorrow.
I can honestly see candeias not featuring again.

He played the full game in a huff on Tuesday, poor play, poor desire and petulant as fck. I like candeias but I've seen this before and I've had enough of it. We can't carry a 1 in 3 player.

Did you not see the old firm. Without Halliday starting like a man possessed we wouldn’t have got on the front foot like we did.
Also, watch closely that second goal at Hamilton a few weeks ago, straight after the first goal we scored to take the lead. Halliday gets it going and we made it 2-0 right away. Halliday has put us on the front foot more often than not this season, and he is a first choice mostly because of that.

Last edited:
On the sectarian abuse aimed at him by the sheep fans the manager has stated;

"
Gerrard - whose side face Kilmarnock at Ibrox tomorrow - said: “I’m fine, words have never hurt me.”

I don't want him to say that I want him to say that it's not the first time he has been subjected to sectarian abuse from opposing fans and that sectarianism in Scotland in a societal issue. The media are always quick to blame just one club though-Rangers!

Last edited:
Also, watch closely that goal second goal at Hamilton a few weeks ago, straight after the first goal we scored to take the lead. Halliday gets it going and we made it 2-0 right away. Halliday has put us on the front foot more often than not this season, and he is a first choice mostly because of that.
On Tuesday there was a chance for Barisic to do the same, he shat himself and Aberdeen took the ball forward.

Players who were particularly poor the other night

Tavernier, Barisic, Goldson, Worrall, Jack, Arfield, Candieas , Kent and Morelos.

Areas of concern is the downturn in Morelos form.

The continued flakiness of Worrall and Goldson together. If Katic is injured it looks as though we are forced to continue with these two.

With Tav and Candieas it’s 2 games good then 2 games shite, like they have done since we signed them, they actually reflect the form of the whole team.
Jack in a game where you have to break a team down is useless. Arfield is fucking fragile also and can never maintain fitness.
Barisic looks not interested and intimidated.

Kent is one that puzzles me. Many on FF think he is great yet his goals scored and assists isn’t much better than Middleton who has barely played since January.
He is a Forrest Gump of a player, great runner but can’t score and can’t pass to a blue jersey.

You could drop about 7 or 8 players from this team based on form.
If we are talking about removing players from the team permanently then first of all Worrall and Kent will go back and I will be glad they are going back to Forest and Liverpool.
We also need to sell Tav and Morelos for the funds to rebuild.
That leaves Jack, Arfield and Candieas. I think none are consistent enough and I would sell the three of them. If Arfield could stay fit I would keep him for the squad.
Barisic I don’t know why but he seems unsuited to us and we may have to replace.
Candieas is one that frustrates the hell out of me and I would punt him as soon as.
The thing is though there at least another 6 players or so who aren’t in the first team that need punted also not even in the first team squad.

SG says we only need some quality additions, he is correct about that, but many need sold and let go.

Arfield's inability to stay fit realy needs to be discussed.

His fitness this season has been terrible. There's no getting away from it.
I don't particularly think he is good enough to take us to the level we want to be at, just my opinion

Players who were particularly poor the other night

Tavernier, Barisic, Goldson, Worrall, Jack, Arfield, Candieas , Kent and Morelos.

Areas of concern is the downturn in Morelos form.

The continued flakiness of Worrall and Goldson together. If Katic is injured it looks as though we are forced to continue with these two.

With Tav and Candieas it’s 2 games good then 2 games shite, like they have done since we signed them, they actually reflect the form of the whole team.
Jack in a game where you have to break a team down is useless. Arfield is fucking fragile also and can never maintain fitness.
Barisic looks not interested and intimidated.

Kent is one that puzzles me. Many on FF think he is great yet his goals scored and assists isn’t much better than Middleton who has barely played since January.
He is a Forrest Gump of a player, great runner but can’t score and can’t pass to a blue jersey.

You could drop about 7 or 8 players from this team based on form.
If we are talking about removing players from the team permanently then first of all Worrall and Kent will go back and I will be glad they are going back to Forest and Liverpool.
We also need to sell Tav and Morelos for the funds to rebuild.
That leaves Jack, Arfield and Candieas. I think none are consistent enough and I would sell the three of them. If Arfield could stay fit I would keep him for the squad.
Barisic I don’t know why but he seems unsuited to us and we may have to replace.
Candieas is one that frustrates the hell out of me and I would punt him as soon as.
The thing is though there at least another 6 players or so who aren’t in the first team that need punted also not even in the first team squad.

SG says we only need some quality additions, he is correct about that, but many need sold and let go.

I don’t agree with the players you singled out. Goldson and Worrall were NOT ‘particularly poor’ on Tuesday night and I’m baffled that you can pick out both Jack and Arfield as ‘particularly poor’ yet give Kamara a free pass.

You’d have been as well just listing the whole team mate. They all let us down.

McGregor
Davis McCrorie Kamara
Morelos Defoe Kent

I'd put money on us actually going 4-4-2. 4-3-3 clearly isnt working, especially against teams sitting in, i think he will change it up and put morelos and defoe up front

On the sectarian abuse aimed at him by the sheep fans the manager has stated;

"
Gerrard - whose side face Kilmarnock at Ibrox tomorrow - said: “I’m fine, words have never hurt me.”

I don't want him to say that I want him to say that it's not the first time he has been subjected to sectarian abuse from opposing fans and that sectarianism in Scotland in a societal issue. The media are always quick to blame just one club though-Rangers!

I was happy with his response. Showed Clarke up for the wibbling pussy that he is.

I'd put money on us actually going 4-4-2. 4-3-3 clearly isnt working, especially against teams sitting in, i think he will change it up and put morelos and defoe up front

My team is easily tweaked with the same players in this case.

Davis to right mid and Kent at left wing in a 4-4-2.

So Kamara/Davis/McCrorie as the midfield 3?

Was that the three that played against St Johnstone at home? They're all more comfortable behind the ball.

I'd be tempted, much as it surprises me even thinking it, to play Halliday in midfield as the attacking option. Not as good on the ball as some, but probably our best striker of a shot from distance and he's always hungry to score goals.

Tell him to get forward in support of Morelos and he'll work hard to do that.

I was happy with his response. Showed Clarke up for the wibbling pussy that he is.

That's fine mate but for me, it is just like when Boyd was subjected to sectarian abuse and said something similar when asked about it. They now when mentioning sectarian incidents over the last 5 weeks hardly ever talk about Boyd being called an Orange Bas*ard and that's the problem with the " its only words" replies.

We need to be furious about this and need to keep being furious about this because if we don't then, it is going to be back to the same old media crap with us being the club always associated with sectarianism.

We really aren't a runner in the PC Olympics and need to get savvier with these issues!

More

Jack and Arfield have been clearly carrying knocks for weeks, why are they starting - their performances have been poor?

McCrorie couldn't make the bench and we've got Davis and Coulibaly.

Plenty to take from the from off Off the field comments are
Clarke is a cry baby
Boyd is a clueless fat prick
Allen is Technical Director and not head of recruitment and is doing a great job
The club was in a bad state on and off the pitch when he arrived, its now better
Could never fix things in 2 windows
No wholesale changes, couple of (quote)'marquee signings and a bit of magic'
Katic has been ill, slight doubt
Arfield and Jack major doubts
Murphy end of season, pre season at latest
Dorrans with physio, broke down 3 time so SG won't comment on a timeframe
Grezda now pushing for squad, training 10 days

Last edited:
Not exactly a big defense of Barisic from the gaffer at the end.
Was quick to praise and defend Mark Allen, but said it's basically up to Borna to answer the critics.

That's fine mate but for me, it is just like when Boyd was subjected to sectarian abuse and said something similar when asked about it. They now when mentioning sectarian incidents over the last 5 weeks hardly ever talk about Boyd being called an Orange Bas*ard and that's the problem with the " its only words" replies.

We need to be furious about this and need to keep being furious about this because if we don't then, it is going to be back to the same old media crap with us being the club always associated with sectarianism.

We really aren't a runner in the PC Olympics and need to get savvier with these issues!

There's a time and a place to go in heavy about the subject for me. After a poor result isn't the time. That would've looked like Gerrard was trying to deflect from the game like Clarke did.

Wait, whats he saying here? is he trying to say he shouldnt have to come up with tactics and a system to break teams down and that its up to the players?

Alarm bells going off here.
Pretty much, if you dont run as hard, tackle as hard, compete as hard, work as hard your tactics mean %^*& all
If you think we dont have tactics and a plan (good or bad) in place then more fool you for your naivety.
His old school philosophy dragged Liverpool to a CL win, or was it Benitez' second half tactics??
Win the battle to earn your right to play football, its a far easier game than made out at times

Back