Kilmarnock Press Conference

There's a time and a place to go in heavy about the subject for me. After a poor result isn't the time. That would've looked like Gerrard was trying to deflect from the game like Clarke did.

We will disagree on that because for me when asked by the MEDIA we respond to the MEDIA, with a hard-hitting reply.

Pretty much, if you dont run as hard, tackle as hard, compete as hard, work as hard your tactics mean %^*& all
If you think we dont have tactics and a plan (good or bad) in place then more fool you for your naivety.
His old school philosophy dragged Liverpool to a CL win, or was it Benitez' second half tactics??
Win the battle to earn your right to play football, its a far easier game than made out at times
Agree to a point, blood and guts only get so far but we didnt see much of either on Tuesday.

Rafa is quite a good manager so i would expect it was a bit of both btw :)

I'd put money on us actually going 4-4-2. 4-3-3 clearly isnt working, especially against teams sitting in, i think he will change it up and put morelos and defoe up front

I think (fear?) he will try the diamond again. McCrorie holding and Kent behind the front two.

There's something very Walter Smith-like about Steven Gerrard; he knows when to be explicit when he wants to be, but he is not too bad at being implicit in what he wants to be either. This is the type of man to get this club back where it belongs, given time.

I'm losing confidence slightly in our Manager, he's becoming less and less convincing and doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes. No plan B, unwilling to change things and can't impact things on the pitch with changes. I want him to be a success but he has an awful lot of improvement to make.

Not exactly a big defense of Barisic from the gaffer at the end.
Was quick to praise and defend Mark Allen, but said it's basically up to Borna to answer the critics.

Noticed that also.

I think Barisic is a dead cert to start tomorrow. Almost heading towards a sink or swim attitude from the gaffer.

Noticed that also.

I think Barisic is a dead cert to start tomorrow. Almost heading towards a sink or swim attitude from the gaffer.

I actually think he’s become a bit of a scapegoat. People haven’t seen the Osijek performances replicated and the accusation is he’s not trying or scared of getting injured.
I think he should front up to the pressers and give his side of the story.

Time for Barasic to step up now he has been called out. Fat man could have a point but I hope he is proved wrong.

I’ve said it a million times, but I’ll say it one last time - Gerrard’s biggest mistake has been in not defending his players. He should have called out the lack of protection they get from referees early doors. It’s too late now, sounds like sour grapes. Wouldn’t surprise me if players are upset their gaffer doesn’t fight their corner. Nothing wrong with creating a siege mentality - if the press call you a whiner, so what? If you create constant scrutiny on officials it can work in your favour, even if it’s a small advantage. This is where an old hand in the dug out would’ve helped rather than a guy who’s not been involved up here for ages.

Seems clear it's players that are comfortable speaking to the media. Fair enough imo - professional footballers shouldn't have to do it if they don't want to.
I think this is the case, sending an educated and calm Defoe after the Aberdeen game was a sensible move as there was and still is a cloud of rage after that performance BUT it's light years from the club throwing a young Rossiter under the bus after losing to Progres - night and day where we have come from and hopefully heading. Almost, Almost! a professionally run club...just need to win more games of football

I can see him being sold ... he's not got the mentality for Scottish Football ... and Gerrard has alluded to that in the past when speaking about players he can trust and players he cant

I'd question his judgement somewhat given that Ryan Jack can do no wrong in his eyes, yet he's usually one of the first to go missing if we're playing poorly.

I’ve said it a million times, but I’ll say it one last time - Gerrard’s biggest mistake has been in not defending his players. He should have called out the lack of protection they get from referees early doors. It’s too late now, sounds like sour grapes. Wouldn’t surprise me if players are upset their gaffer doesn’t fight their corner. Nothing wrong with creating a siege mentality - if the press call you a whiner, so what? If you create constant scrutiny on officials it can work in your favour, even if it’s a small advantage. This is where an old hand in the dug out would’ve helped rather than a guy who’s not been involved up here for ages.

I know what you're saying, but see tbh, our players hardly even back each other up on the park. You watch other teams and when the ref makes a decision they all surround him and get in his face - we don't. Perfect example was last week against Hibs, McGregor clearly elbows Morelos but every Hibs player sprints to the ref to make sure he doesn't get sent off.

I wonder who he was meaning by "some haven't,Barasic,probably one. Who else.

Grezda? Davis maybe?

Doesn’t sound good for Dorrans at all. Great disappointment to me I always backed him and pretty gutted at the way it’s gone for him .

Murphy now looks like realistically pre season to come back and the question is always there with that injury will he be the same as he was ?

Despite saying no wholesale changes to the squad I don’t think Gerrard has any choice in the matter to be frank , he’s going to have to bring in 6 or 7 players bare minimum .

Glad he put the rumour about Mark Allen to bed once and for all .

Doesn’t sound good for Dorrans at all. Great disappointment to me I always backed him and pretty gutted at the way it’s gone for him .

Murphy now looks like realistically pre season to come back and the question is always there with that injury will he be the same as he was ?

Despite saying no wholesale changes to the squad I don’t think Gerrard has any choice in the matter to be frank , he’s going to have to bring in 6 or 7 players bare minimum .

Glad he put the rumour about Mark Allen to bed once and for all .

Easily 6 or 7 mate. McAuley and Worrall will go so we need at least 1 centre-back and possibly 2. I don't think we will sign Davis and Coulibaly will go. Docherty and Rossiter might come back into the fold though. We will try to keep Kent but, potentially, he will go as well. Jones and, perhaps, Hastie to come in. Morelos will almost certainly go and, perhaps, Defoe if he's not happy at the chances he's getting.

I'd say that we will see at least 7 new faces (two of whom will be Jones and Hastie). Gerrard talks of 'magic' and 'marquee signings' so, hopefully, some real quality to add to the simple boost of squad members that those two will bring. Big decision to come from the Board regarding how much of the incoming transfer money goes to Gerrard.

[B]Rangers Football Club[/B]‏Verified account @[B]RangersFC[/B] 7m7 minutes ago
More
It's press conference day ahead of tomorrow's @SPFL match against Kilmarnock at Ibrox. Steven Gerrard and Andy Halliday will be along to speak to the media shortly.

Once again listening to a lot of this leaves me feeling quite ambivalent.

Not talking to the players because they know how he feels?

It seems he is defending them to the hilt…maybe he has to as he was responsible for bringing in a lot of them and the tactics… but it comes back to me about does he really trust them anymore?

Publically he has to …

Like David said in the latest podcast does he really know which Rangers side he is going to get from game to game?

I’m not sure he does.

Last edited:
Some mixed signals if Barisic doesn't start IMO.

He says at the end of the interview that it's up to Borna to prove Boyd wrong, so dropping him won't really do his confidence any good, plus he was far from the worst as others have said.

He says at the end of the interview that it's up to Borna to prove Boyd wrong, so dropping him won't really do his confidence any good, plus he was far from the worst as others have said.

Initially I though Halliday might come in at left-back to replace him. I've now found myself wondering if we will play the 4-4-2 diamond with McCrorie holding and Kamara and Halliday either side of him in order to give the team more urgency going forward. Of course one of Davis/Jack/Arfield could slot into the same system but I think Halliday brings more forward momentum than the first 2 and the third one has looked to be carrying an injury for a while.

Halliday yet again ffs

Who would you have had Gaffer?

Maybe Gerrard should get in touch and you could mentor him for a bit.

Yet again people just can’t wait to have a pop. He is clearly hurting like the rest, has said he will improve and quality will be added.

Would be unusual and refreshing if after one of our press conferences, that there was an absence of criticism.

Barisic is chronic. Has been for a while. He has offered nothing. I can think of 3 things he’s done since he came. A crossed assist at Ibrox, playing his part in the goal away to Villarreal and hitting the bar with a free kick a week or so ago. That’s it.

Would be unusual and refreshing if after one of our press conferences, that there was an absence of criticism.

Never the case on here.

I thought SG spoke well and provided the necessary responses. Of course there are going to be the standard footballing cliches and platitudes but he was also honest when it came to questions on singing, Boyd, Borna and Mark Allen.

I think one of the difficulties SG is having is not understanding why some players don't have the same mental toughness and desire he had as a player.

Once again listening to a lot of this leaves me feeling quite ambivalent.

Not talking to the players because they know how he feels?

It seems he is defending them to the hilt…maybe he has to as he was responsible for bringing in a lot of them and the tactics… but it comes back to me about does he really trust them

Publically he has to …

Like David said in the latest podcast does he really know which Rangers side he is going to get from game to game?

I’m not sure he does.
It’s good management for me,
It tells me they hane no confidence.
When someone has no confidence you talk to them, you don’t go in to hard on them
His team talk tomorrow needs to be a belter

Jack and Arfield have been clearly carrying knocks for weeks, why are they starting - their performances have been poor?

McCrorie couldn't make the bench and we've got Davis and Coulibaly.
Arfield may have been carrying a knock but I don't think that's the reason he has been poor he is fine against the weaker teams but against the likes of the spoonburners and sheep he just is not at the races

I'm losing confidence slightly in our Manager, he's becoming less and less convincing and doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes. No plan B, unwilling to change things and can't impact things on the pitch with changes. I want him to be a success but he has an awful lot of improvement to make.
Ffs he has only been here a season.

If Barišić deserves to be dropped then so does Tavernier, Goldson, Jack, Arfield and Candeias.

They won't be, the two midfielders start when carrying a knock.

Where is Polster. Surely not injured - struggling with injuries is what was said prior to him signing.

It’s good management for me,
It tells me they hane no confidence.
When someone has no confidence you talk to them, you don’t go in to hard on them
His team talk tomorrow needs to be a belter

CB you may be right!
Let’s hope so……

A manager these days when things don’t go well seems to have two choices.

Firstly he can man manage the players and try and boost their confidence in the hope they can pull themselves out the slump.
Or you can go down the old style manager route and give it to them tight and tell them to get their act together!

As a player Gerrard himself probably was more used to the latter and players with more character who were stronger mentally but as a manager he realizes he probably has to massage the ego more than anything else of the players today…otherwise if it gets worse his own job is on the line.

Catch 22 if ever there was one!

Personally I think you need a mix of both but like quite honestly certain players for me need a rocket and must realize their future like Gerrard’s… is at stake!

Back