Combatting the Long Throw-in

Shropshire_Bear

Official Ticketer
Considering the use of the long throw-in danger from Kilmarnock, can this be thwarted by a player standing on the touchline, where the thrower is running to? It's obviously a long run-up and it would be very difficult for the thrower to stop his momentum without running into the defender on the touchline. At the very least it would be a distraction for the thrower. I don't think there's anything in the laws of the game to prevent this tactic.

wouldnt that be a foul?
It would be if the thrower was throwing from the touchline, but as far as I'm aware there's no minimum distance like a free kick. It's the thrower's choice to take the long run up, so it's not like the defender is standing in front of him when he starts the run. If the thrower runs into the defender, then it's a foul against the thrower.

All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.

An opponent who unfairly distracts or impedes the thrower (including moving closer than 2 m (2 yds) to the place where the throw-in is to be taken) is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and if the throw-in has been taken an indirect free kick is awarded.

http://theifab.com/laws/the-throw-in-2018/chapters/the-throw-in-infringements-and-sanctions-2018

OK, so this wouldn't work then.

Have we ever actually conceded a goal from a long throw?

I realise I've probably just jinxed and we'll concede one tomorrow now.

I don’t mind players doing this as it’s rareky effective. What I mind is them wasting 30 seconds or more towelling the fucking ball down

I remember a team doing this to Liverpool in the past and no fouls were given, players going mental. Always wondered why the player taking the throw didn’t just fling it straight of the guys nose and see if he wants to stand there again. Sure it is now a foul as above.

As for our throw ins, shocking! It’s as though we have no plan at all for who shows in different areas of the park. How hard would it be to have 3 or 4 different patterns of movement to get the throw in, secure possession and get playing.

Frighteningly the same in the way we move out from the back. I’m sure it’s not the case but it looks as though the players are told their positions and told to go out and play. Watch Man City and they use different variations of movement patterns to essentially turn everything in to a set play. We don’t look to have a plan most of the time.

We dont do throw ins. We do throw aways.

Spot on mate, I watched (not for the first time this season) a team utilise throw in to start an attack, 9/10 we’re playing throw in ping pong till the opposing team clears it

Who was the last player we had who had long throw, Davie Robertson springs to mind but surely we had someone after that.

Back