On This Day (March 15th)

Sam English

1884 - Bolton Wanderers 1 Rangers 1 (Thomson) - Friendly (5,000)
1890 - Kilmarnock 2 Rangers 0 - Friendly
1902 - Rangers 3 (McDougall,Wilkie,J.R.Hamilton) Dundee 1 - Friendly
1909 - Seven years after the Ibrox disaster of 1902,when part of the terracing had collapsed and killed 26 people,Ibrox at last staged another international match with the Scotland and Ireland fixture.Scotland won 5-0
1913 - Hearts 1 Rangers 1 (Logan) - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1919 - Hamilton Accies 1 Rangers 5 (Archibald 2,Gordon,Cunningham,Brown) - Victory Cup 2nd Round (15,000)
1930 - Hamilton Accies 1 Rangers 1 (McPhail) -Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1941 - Rangers 3 (Venters,Gillick,Brown) Third Lanark 0 - Southern League Cup Section Three (8,000)
1950 - Raith Rovers 1 Rangers 1 (Williamson) - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final Replay (28,5000)
Having already drawn 1-1 at Ibrox,Raith Rovers entertained Rangers at Stark's Park in another close battle,with Queen of the South awaiting the victors in the semi-final.It was the home side that perhaps had the best of the game,but a goal from Williamson and a correct call at the end of the game meant a third match at Ibrox
1952 - Rangers 1 (Thornton) Morton 0 - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1955 - Arsenal 3 Rangers 3 (Scott 2,Hubbard) - Friendly (28,123)
1958 - Queen of the South 3 Rangers 4 (Murray 2,Millar 2) - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final (23,000)
1969 - Rangers 6 (Stein 3,D.Smith,Penman,Ferguson) Clyde 0 - Scottish League Division One (42,000)
1975 - Dundee 1 Rangers 2 (McLean,Parlane) - Scottish League Division One (22,700)
1977 - Partick Thistle 4 Rangers 3 (Johnstone,Watson,Parlane) - Scottish Premier Division (17,000)
1980 - Rangers 0 Partick Thistle 0 - Scottish Premier Division (22,000)
1986 - Dundee 2 Rangers 1 (McCoist) - Scottish Premier Division (10,965)
2009 - Celtic 2 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Cup Final (AET) (Played at Hampden Park) (51,193)
2014 - Rangers 2 (Smith, Gallagher) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - Scottish League One (44,110)

1977 - pretty sure this was a Wednesday night from what I remember

2009 LC Final, a quite forgettable final if there ever was one, playing Lafferty up front on his own never works( and still doesn’t?)

1975, Did Colin Stein hat sent off?
Down 1/0 two great goals from Mclean
and Parlane to win the game. And a riot breaking out as well.

Yup, was at that one. Can remember JG cracking one off the post in the first half.

Wee Tam's goal I was shiting myself that he was taking too long over sticking it in the pokie, waltzing around one and another and the same guy twice. I needn't have worried as he calmly rolled it home.

Like Yosser Hughes above that was the day in 1975 I knew it was coming home.

Just checked the companion Hansen scored 2 and it was a Wednesday night - the following Saturday the Gers drew 2 each with the mentally challengeds at Ibrox - it was a very disappointing season

2009 LC Final, a quite forgettable final if there ever was one, playing Lafferty up front on his own never works( and still doesn’t?)

He played left wing that day I'm sure and had our only decent attempt with a volley from the edge of the box. But yes.

2014: Cracking free kick from Steven Smith, it was his second Rangers goal, his first also came against Dunfermline

Just checked the companion Hansen scored 2 and it was a Wednesday night - the following Saturday the Gers drew 2 each with the mentally challengeds at Ibrox - it was a very disappointing season

We had a goal disallowed v the 'shettlestons' (wee doddy) that would have been the winner.

Conn walloped the woodwork for the filth in the first half.

Yup, was at that one. Can remember JG cracking one off the post in the first half.

Wee Tam's goal I was shiting myself that he was taking too long over sticking it in the pokie, waltzing around one and another and the same guy twice. I needn't have worried as he calmly rolled it home.

Like Yosser Hughes above that was the day in 1975 I knew it was coming home.
Had that feeling that day it was coming home as well, we only had to wait two weeks

Did Alan Hansen score for Thistle?

Yes, twice.
Rangers were leading 3-2, Hansen equalised in the 67th min, then scored the winner from the penalty spot 5 mins from time.
His brother Johnny Hansen also played for Thistle that night.
Eric Morris made his only appearance of the season for us (at Centre Half!).
It would be 2 years before he got a game for us again.

Back