Gerrard on summer transfers

KGR98

The Ibrox boss and director of football Mark Allen tried and failed in January to bring in the No.10 his side were missing to unlock defences.
Asked if that was a regret after failing to break down Aberdeen as they exited the Scottish Cup on
Tuesday night he said: “Possibly – it’s a really good question because, to be honest and open it was an area we looked at and tried.

For whatever reason, maybe the targets you’re after aren’t available at that time or the funds that are available mean you can’t go and make that happen, but it’s definitely an area of the pitch we were looking at and are still looking at.
“I predict that could change in the short term.
“The reality is we need to improve, that’s my job and I’m confident I’ll do it.
We’re a lot closer than people think but the next four, five, six signings are going to be so big for this club, to take us to the next level, to be better in the cups, better in Europe and be closer in the league.”
“Listen, I want to be here, don’t worry about that. If I don’t want to be here, I won’t be.
Sounds promising to me but i hope it's true and not just trying to get the fans onside

Was told he wanted Kieran Dowell for the number 10 role but he chose Sheffield United instead.

9 draws in the league.

We have dominated the ball in almost all of them. Its clear where we need improvements. 5 or 6 more goals in these 9 games isnt a lot to ask for is it? 10 or 12 points more puts us in a really healthy position.

Jack, Arfield, Kent, Candeias. All need upgraded and competition. They should be squad players. We need another physical striker who can be relied on unlike Lafferty.

What was encouraging yesterday was the amount Grezda got into the box. Im sure he will be a good player for us.

We are a lot closer than recent results suggest.

We need genuine quality in the central midfield to forward areas.

Upgrades on guys who will be squad players next season like Jack and Arfield among others
Arfield will do better and people will think differently of him if he isn't the only midfielder we have capable of any sort of creativity or goal scoring. Him and Jack/Kamara playing with a quality #10 would be a good midfield imo

Was told he wanted Kieran Dowell for the number 10 role but he chose Sheffield United instead.
Very difficult to get British players of a good standard for that role,as much as I understand looking for players used to British style games we just don’t have the means to compete financially with many clubs unfortunately

Simply has to be of even better standard than him.

No more time for pissing about in youthful loans. Let's get this shit done and if Gerrard wants a guy currently on big bucks abroad, we find a way to make the deal happen

Dowell would've addressed the issue for the rest of the season before we hopefully bought a permanent signing in the summer.

We were never spending decent transfer fee money on a number 10 in January.

I also think there was a lot more in the Morrison rumours than the club let on.

Of course he’s just telling fans what he thinks they want to hear.

We were supposed to be signing players with the right mentality and character to play for Rangers. Instead, we get Barisic, Ejaria and Sadiq.

We were supposed to be signing players who would be sold for more than we paid. That isn’t looking likely with the likes of Katic or Goldson. We might get more than we paid for Arfield though!

We were not supposed to be signing big name over the hill names from the past, yet we now have Davis and Defoe.

Mark Allen seems to say a lot and then do the opposite.

He said little of note other than he's still committed to the cause. 95% of what managers say publically is mince and I include our current and former managers in that. Every young manager has a learning curve, we are about to see how steep Gerrards learning curve is.

I think he means it will get sorted this summer
'short term' is the summer?
He can't bring anyone in until then so I agree that's the logical answer but why not just be explicit? Why not say 'next window', 'in the summer' etc.? He's not normally so vague.

'short term' is the summer?
He can't bring anyone in until then so I agree that's the logical answer but why not just be explicit? Why not say 'next window', 'in the summer' etc.? He's not normally so vague.

I agree with all that, I just think we're reading too much into a nothing statement. Only short term solution would be finding a 10 in the youths - which probably won't happen.

If we add two to the midfield, one up front (two if we lose Alfie) and one at the back, that still might not be enough to win the league, but I bet you we’d be a damn sight closer.

Simply has to be of even better standard than him.

No more time for pissing about in youthful loans. Let's get this shit done and if Gerrard wants a guy currently on big bucks abroad, we find a way to make the deal happen

I fear that a player of this kind of quality will be targeted and kicked up and down the park. Add to that the fact referees offer our players zero protection, I don't see how this is going to get us to the top again.

Dowell would've addressed the issue for the rest of the season before we hopefully bought a permanent signing in the summer.

We were never spending decent transfer fee money on a number 10 in January.

I also think there was a lot more in the Morrison rumours than the club let on.

Ravel Morrison said in an interview recently that he met with Gerrard with a view to signing for us. So unless he is lying we were clearly interested.

We should have taken a punt.

My concern is even with more quality players the system we are playing is not going to consistently get results in our league.

The lack of quality is only part of the problem

Love to see a Gerrard/lampard/scholes type player. Box to box scores goals. Need a 10/15 goal anseason midfielder.

It’s brutal coz the terriers have 3 players like that in Christie mcgregor and rogic.

Surley we can find one out there somewhere!

Love to see a Gerrard/lampard/scholes type player. Box to box scores goals. Need a 10/15 goal anseason midfielder.

It’s brutal coz the terriers have 3 players like that in Christie mcgregor and rogic.

Surley we can find one out there somewhere!

Rogic was pish for years. Remember how bad he was in the Scottish Cup semi?

Christie as well was with them for 2 years before getting in their team. Both he and Rogic spent reasonable time on loan before making any impact.

McGregor again was in their team for a couple of years before Rodgers turned him into a decent player.

We have spent zero on midfield since we came back up other than on Pena. We need to invest serious money in that area to get somebody to come in and hit the ground running.

My concern is even with more quality players the system we are playing is not going to consistently get results in our league.

The lack of quality is only part of the problem
The system will work with the right players though (see Liverpool). The right players will have the quality to break down defenses

But that's why Gerrard made the signings he did in January, to try play 2 up front and that didn't work out so we reverted back. I think we should give it a try with Morelos in the number 10 role though

Of course he’s just telling fans what he thinks they want to hear.

We were supposed to be signing players with the right mentality and character to play for Rangers. Instead, we get Barisic, Ejaria and Sadiq.

We were supposed to be signing players who would be sold for more than we paid. That isn’t looking likely with the likes of Katic or Goldson. We might get more than we paid for Arfield though!

We were not supposed to be signing big name over the hill names from the past, yet we now have Davis and Defoe.

Mark Allen seems to say a lot and then do the opposite.

If Gerrard went to Allen and said I've seen a really good player from say the Bundesliga but he'll cost 3m, Allen would turn round say I can get the same sort of player with potential from some epl youth team untried and untested.

No faith in the guy at all, and that's why there is the murmurings of SG speaking to the board about this. The board back the manager to the hilt.

Gerrard is a good poker player, he may be saying all is rosey to the press when it Won't be that.

If Gerrard went to Allen and said I've seen a really good player from say the Bundesliga but he'll cost 3m, Allen would turn round say I can get the same sort of player with potential from some epl youth team untried and untested.

No faith in the guy at all, and that's why there is the murmurings of SG speaking to the board about this. The board back the manager to the hilt.

Gerrard is a good poker player, he may be saying all is rosey to the press when it Won't be that.

Gerrard turned to Kent and Ejaria, Coulibaly on loan. I've no faith in Allen or Gerrard in the transfer market.

All very well talking about new players but the manager has to change his ways as well or next season will be exactly the same.

I’d tend to agree, especially after Gerrard making a point to defend Allen in midweek. It was all too much like the dreaded “vote of confidence” in the manager by the board. Keep your friends close, etc.

9 draws in the league.

We have dominated the ball in almost all of them. Its clear where we need improvements. 5 or 6 more goals in these 9 games isnt a lot to ask for is it? 10 or 12 points more puts us in a really healthy position.

Jack, Arfield, Kent, Candeias. All need upgraded and competition. They should be squad players. We need another physical striker who can be relied on unlike Lafferty.

What was encouraging yesterday was the amount Grezda got into the box. Im sure he will be a good player for us.

We are a lot closer than recent results suggest.
I would agree but we also need to tighten up the defence. If we had kept the leads we have had in games and not lost them we would probably be top at the moment

A change to 442 in home games would be a good start for rest of the season. And by that i mean a flat 442. 2 wingers and 2 cfs. Start to stretch and occupy back lines instead of let them sit in amd worry about 1 man between them.

We have only conceded 22 goals in 30 games.

Its really not a bad defensive record at all.

If we were more clinical up front then a lot of the defensive errors wouldnt have occurred.
I agree bud, our goals for Column could easily be 20 goals better off this season. We have squandered chance after chance this year.

He will have signed nearly 30 players in 3 windows by the end of the summer. Let that sink in. Ridiculous policy and near impossible to bring in genuine quality when you’re recruiting in those volumes. It looks like a lazy, scattergun approach to deeper problems.

He has zero room for error in the summer and will need to show a massive improvement from day one next season.

Back