"John McGinn will prove to be a better player than Barry Ferguson over the course of his career"

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the hottest of all hot takes from BBC Scotland's latest rising star, Stefan Bienkowski

Commence the laughter.

Who the %^*& is this clown?

Maybe he should have a wee gamder at Ferguson's performances against Bayern Munich, or the 2002 Cup Final against a very highly rated mentally challenged midfield.

Either clueless or a mentally challenged, but more likely both.

Stefan is usually fair TBH but he is way off here.

This is a Celtic fan that has said there is far more reasoned debate with Gers fans compared to his fellow Celtic fans. He's not said this out of hatred, he's just giving his opinion. Flawed though it is on this.

So if McGinn can prove himself in a league he might never play in he'll be a better player?

Plus Ferguson had proved himself in that league prior to a horrific injury.

Ferguson at 24 was the captain of his club, his country, proven himself in the Champions League, bossed England at Wembley, won a treble, 2 doubles and was about to captain us to another treble.

McGinn at 24 plays in the English Championship and cannot get off the bench against San Marino

"I can't be bothered debating the nuances of Ferguson's career. "

Always good idea to deal in "what if's" rather than the facts. Scottish journalism at it's, erm, finest.

Another was McGinn and McTominay will surpass Ferguson and Brown's careers.

If McTominay is still at Man Utd in two years time I'll be amazed.

I do reckon McGinn has the potential to go on and play at a higher level down in England and was delighted when the manky mob never signed him, but to compare him to Ferguson at present is daft.

From another tweet he seems to imply that MCtominay is already at a level higher than Ferguson achieved, purely because he plays (rarely tbf) for man utd. On that basis michael stewart and eric djemba-djemba were at a higher level than ferguson as well.

He's prone to a ridiculous suggestion is that stefan (i'm not even sure who he is?), i've seen a previous tweet of his suggesting scotland appoint vern cotter. Yes, rugby coach Vern Cotter!

I do reckon McGinn has the potential to go on and play at a higher level down in England and was delighted when the manky mob never signed him, but to compare him to Ferguson at present is daft.
He'll maybe get mid-level premiership. He'll get nowhere near what Ferguson achieved, or Ferguson's ability.

I think McGinn is a decent player who will end up having a good career down there but yeah that’s a laughable suggestion.

Barry Ferguson was one of the finest players Scotland has ever produced, McGinn is not.

It will be some vegan fanny trying to wind folk up, absoloutely embarrassing even mentioning McGinn in the same breath as Ferguson

Last edited:
From another tweet he seems to imply that MCtominay is already at a level higher than Ferguson achieved, purely because he plays (rarely tbf) for man utd. On that basis michael stewart and eric djemba-djemba were at a higher level than ferguson as well.

He's prone to a ridiculous suggestion is that stefan (i'm not even sure who he is?), i've seen a previous tweet of his suggesting scotland appoint vern cotter. Yes, rugby coach Vern Cotter!

Has Tierney at right back ahead of peak Alan Hutton as well

Has Tierney at right back ahead of peak Alan Hutton as well
Saw that one as well. 'Hutton couldn't defend' i think was his logic. Obviously he's seen more in the three or so games Tierney has ever played right back to suggest he's better than the alan hutton who was one of the best right backs in europe 07-8.

So if McGinn can prove himself in a league he might never play in he'll be a better player?

Plus Ferguson had proved himself in that league prior to a horrific injury.

And after his injury as well!

What an absolute space cadet. Imagine John McGinn forcing one of Giovanni van Bronckhorst, or Jorg Albertz to be played wide.

Ahh, Stefan. The moron's moron. It's a wonder how his subscription based mag crashed and burned with such searing insight like this.

Regardless of personal and team achievement throughout their careers, just watching the as footballers there is absolutely no comparison to be made between Ferguson and McGinn at all, infact it's an insult to even suggest it in the first place.

Ferguson bossed games but also had the guile to go with the tenacity. McGinn is just a wee bam who has yet to prove he deserves a start in a bang average Scotland side.

Some people live in a strange sort of parallel universe that I just don't comprehend.

This just a journalist trying to make a name for himself, it's worked, he'll now be known as that wank journalist who knows f all about football

Two go's at it as well I'm sure.

Both crashed and burned
Who is he? I seem to follow him on twitter and i've seen he's done a bit of writing for BBC but other than that i don't know anything about him, what's the failed projects i've seen folk referring to?

Who is he? I seem to follow him on twitter and i've seen he's done a bit of writing for BBC but other than that i don't know anything about him, what's the failed projects i've seen folk referring to?

The Two Point One

From the little I saw of McGinn last year (against us), I still think McGeogh was the best midfielder at Hibs.

He's scored a couple of goals for Villa who are now in a play-off position. They are 1 of 8 teams for 2 slots.

He might be good enough for the EPL. We'll see. I think he'll get found out.

Talking as if McGinn is some exciting young prospect. He'll be 25 this year ffs. At 21 Ferguson was turning in some great performances in the Champions League against the likes of Bayern Munich and against England at Wembley.

I highly doubt we'll ever see McGinn play to that level. Might end up a steady performer for a lower half EPL side, like James McArthur. More likely he'll end up at the piggery and win a few titles while getting spanked in Europe.

I worked with a few Man United fans who said to me that Mctominay was up there with the worst players ever to play with Man U

Only seen him play a couple times and he has been bang average

Back