"John McGinn will prove to be a better player than Barry Ferguson over the course of his career"

Pointless arguement. Ross McCrorie might go on and surpass Barry Ferguson, any young player might. Given the standard of Scottish players it seems highly unlikely.

Haha what a load of smelly old bollocks.

He will sign for a bog standard EPL club and yoyo between there and the championship winning fųck all before he signs for the scum at 35.

Ferguson already won alot more and played in the Champions league by the age he's at now.

Back in the medieval times you'd throw rotten tomatoes at people walking down the street speaking such nonsense

Another was McGinn and McTominay will surpass Ferguson and Brown's careers.

If McTominay is still at Man Utd in two years time I'll be amazed.

I'll be shocked if he's not loaned out next season. He's a big lad and plays it safe, that's about it with him, isn't amazing at breaking up play when it's on the deck, not creative, zero goal threat. If he didn't have Manchester United (Or Celtic i suppose) he would never get called up to Scotland. As much as i think he has been overrated in his career it's laughable to suggest he'll be better than Brown let alone Barry fucking Ferguson

Too much hype is placed on players who play in the EPL. The amount of bang average games, teams and players involving mid to lower teams is there for all to see. By that logic, James Mcarthur would be better than Barry as well then....

The lack of credit Barry gets in this country is staggering. At 21/22 he could have graced any midfield in Europe and that's not exaggerating.

Too much hype is placed on players who play in the EPL. The amount of bang average games, teams and players involving mid to lower teams is there for all to see. By that logic, James Mcarthur would be better than Barry as well then....

The lack of credit Barry gets in this country is staggering. At 21/22 he could have graced any midfield in Europe and that's not exaggerating.
Because he's a Rangers legend.

If Ferguson played for the filth he'd be an absolute hero in this country.

Look at the way Paul McStay is spoken about an an example.

Could,might,maybees,possibly,theirs nae chance,BUT the facts are until he’s earned/won something,he’s a nuthin!!!

Because he's a Rangers legend.

If Ferguson played for the filth he'd be an absolute hero in this country.

Look at the way Paul McStay is spoken about an an example.

Spot on.

Barry would have ended up at a Man Utd or something like that if he didn't smash his knee to bits at Blackburn. He was still a superb player after that but never quite the same and didn't reach the heights that he really could have.

02/03 season I wouldn't have swapped him for any midfielder in Britain.

Another was McGinn and McTominay will surpass Ferguson and Brown's careers.

If McTominay is still at Man Utd in two years time I'll be amazed.

Agreed.

My exact words watching the Scotland game yesterday were "McTominay's 18 months away from being on West Brom's bench."

Barry Ferguson is the best player Scotland have produced in the last 30 years, can't really say anything about McGinn because I don't really rate him highly

McTominay is a month removed from a genuinely exceptional performance against PSG in the last 16 of the CL aged 22 - not convinced Man U will rush to move him on based on how he looks in a Scotland shirt.

I don't think he will ever be a top level player as such but a perfectly adequate, affordable, home grown squad player for Man U - I don't think its inconceivable.

Scotland have a historical issue, particular in midfield with acting on the premise of - best player means they MUST be creative - score loads and assist loads - not as simple as that.

Who the %^*& is this clown?

Maybe he should have a wee gamder at Ferguson's performances against Bayern Munich, or the 2002 Cup Final against a very highly rated mentally challenged midfield.

Either clueless or a mentally challenged, but more likely both.
I suspect mainly the latter. That and a troll.

Ferguson at 24 was the captain of his club, his country, proven himself in the Champions League, bossed England at Wembley, won a treble, 2 doubles and was about to captain us to another treble.

McGinn at 24 plays in the English Championship and cannot get off the bench against San Marino

Boom. There it is right there, end of "debate".

I would go as far as saying that 24 year old Barry was one of the top 20 midfielders in Europe.

McGinn is a good player. Ferguson however is several levels above. Anybody who has even a slight knowledge of the game of football will know this.

Forgetting the ridiculous Ferguson/McGinn comparison, his entire point is absolute nonsense.

The Scotland team against Italy in 2007 he's comparing to was very good.

Full of Rangers and Celtic players who were performing well in Europe at the time. Add in some experience of the EPL in Gordon, Fletcher, Naysmith and McFadden.

Now there's no Rangers players, Celtic players aren't performing well in Europe, McTominay is still very raw and we have an Aberdeen player at the heart of our defence. Andy Robertson is the only anomaly and only one guaranteed a start in that 2007 team.

McTominay is a Darren Fletcher type- plays up to the standard of players around him, hence looking decent for Man Utd at times. However, any comparison to Ferguson is laughable. I think people forget just how good Barry was.

Forgetting the ridiculous Ferguson/McGinn comparison, his entire point is absolute nonsense.

The Scotland team against Italy in 2007 he's comparing to was very good.

Full of Rangers and Celtic players who were performing well in Europe at the time. Add in some experience of the EPL in Gordon, Fletcher, Naysmith and McFadden.

Now there's no Rangers players, Celtic players aren't performing well in Europe, McTominay is still very raw and we have an Aberdeen player at the heart of our defence. Andy Robertson is the only anomaly and only one guaranteed a start in that 2007 team.

Gordon - Sunderland

Hutton - Rangers
Weir - Rangers
McManus - Celtic
Naysmith - Everton

Brown - Celtic
Fletcher - Man Utd
Hartley - Celtic
Ferguson - Rangers
McCulloch - Rangers

McFadden - Everton

Who realistically these days gets into that team ? Robertson over Naysmith for sure. Fraser or Forrest over McCulloch on the wing.

Then you're struggling

02/03 season I wouldn't have swapped him for any midfielder in Britain.

Heady praise indeed when the likes of Scoles, Gerrard and Vieira were kicking about that season.

Although we had a decent supporting cast that season with DeBoer, McCann, Amoruso, etc, Ferguson was in total beast mode and dragged us to the title, against undoubtedly the best (most effective) Celtic team in 35 years.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of McGinn (well, that face ...... it's like a bad acid trip)

I have never seen McGinn boss a game in the manner that Ferguson did on a regular basis, domestically, European and international games.

Sounds like fanciful shite from a yahoos perspective.

Ferguson won, potentially as captain, a League Cup in England with Birmingham. Hardly someone who failed.

Ferguson was also in the starting 11 in a squad with Gio, Albertz, Reyna, Tugay in it.

They are desperate for one of them to be better than Barry but it just isn't happening. Broonaldo's achievements were all by default, McGinn will have one of those anonymous careers floating around the Championship in England.

When Barry went down to Birmingham in the English Premier, he won a major trophy and was voted his club's Players' Player Of The Year. We'll see how McGinn does if he gets there.

Has McGinn captained his club to a treble?

Hopefully Stefan grabs the stats on his champions league games as well, that would be great.

I’ll suggest, McGinn will never play in the champions league, nor, actually, will he ever win a major honour in England.

He’ll finish with less than 3 trophies.

What’s captaining a club go a treble got to do with ability?

(FYI, not saying McGinn is better, but we’re comparing who the better player is, not who’s achieved most)

(FYI, not saying McGinn is better, but we’re comparing who the better player is, not who’s achieved most)

To captain your club, at that age, usually suggests you are either a fantastic leader or a sublime player.

I’m going with the latter, this time around.

Probably thinks he's better looking too...

gn800.png

This covered the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons. Notice how he's the only midfielder in that list who played in the EPL only? Far more difficult to do it than in Spain and Italy due to playing styles, and far more dificult than doing it at centre back. And whatever people say about recycling possession it takes world class ability to do it at that level.

I'll always love the guy and wish he'd spent more time at Rangers in his career.

357211552aaa2.jpg

Barry Ferguson was the best scottish midfielder of his generation ,when barry was at blackpool or birmingham cant remember which team it was but anyway the epl well they had a team of the season thing going on and barry was in the team of the season, so if mcginn does the equivalent anytime soon i may start take notice.

I get what you're saying, Matthew Le Tissier didn't win anything did he, but was probably better than a lot at the time who won lots.

For your bracketed point, this is where simply Using your eyes helps.

He was that good one of top coaches in Europe ( Advocaat) made him captain

Has Tierney at right back ahead of peak Alan Hutton as well
I was gonna reply to him regarding this ans then thought better of it.

Peak Alan Hutton played in a defence that conceded a third of the goals Tierney and Celtic have over 3 comparable euro campaigns. He has been found out in every game they have played versus top level opposition, Hutton was being praised by foreign press for his showings in 2007/2008.

Tierney is a good SPFL player, but struggles badly when the opposition are attacking.

That's not even blue tinted specs, it's verifiable fact.

Ferguson at 24 was the captain of his club, his country, proven himself in the Champions League, bossed England at Wembley, won a treble, 2 doubles and was about to captain us to another treble.

McGinn at 24 plays in the English Championship and cannot get off the bench against San Marino
Och, facts and figures. what you like?

Who the %^*& is this clown?

Maybe he should have a wee gamder at Ferguson's performances against Bayern Munich, or the 2002 Cup Final against a very highly rated mentally challenged midfield.

Either clueless or a mentally challenged, but more likely both.
A brainwashed bigot.
That should cover it.

This covered the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons. Notice how he's the only midfielder in that list who played in the EPL only? Far more difficult to do it than in Spain and Italy due to playing styles, and far more dificult than doing it at centre back. And whatever people say about recycling possession it takes world class ability to do it at that level.

I'll always love the guy and wish he'd spent more time at Rangers in his career.

357211552aaa2.jpg

Like most, I was gutted when he left for Blackburn, but at the time he just captained us to a treble, was in his absolute prime and had an offer from an ex Rangers manager to go to a league that was reaching stratospheric levels. In short, he had probably achieved everything with us and went on to test himself against the best. I wouldn't grudge anyone that. He had the balls to do it.

Much like Durrant, post serious injury he wasn't anywhere near as good as he was but in his second spell at Rangers he was still easily the best midfielder in the country. That tells you everything about how good Ferguson was.

McGinn is decent and he is playing for a proper big club in England, way bigger than Blackburn and Birmingham for sure. The Villa supporters love him by all accounts.

On natural ability and mental strength there is no contest between the two, if McGinn gets to the EPL and performs to a high level for Aston Villa then he has the potential to be the best Scottish product SINCE Ferguson.

Back