Biggest heel turn by an ex-player

Nature Boy

Who would you say had the biggest heel turn of all our ex-players? I’m not talking about jobbers like Broadfoot, I mean a genuine impactful one.

For me it’s got to be Terry Butcher. He was the ultimate face which is why it was such a kick in the baws. Club captain, a national hero and idiolised by millions around the world and the bastard threw it all away by selling his soul to become a corporate champion.

Bloody hell mate, what's next, "favourite off the turnbuckle elbow drop by an ex player?" :D

I'd imagine Naismith will win this thread (or lose, I guess) by a landslide.
It said ex-player. Different clubs according to him so doesn’t technically count.

Butcher and Hateley are cut from the same cloth - Englishmen who don’t have west of Scotland football DNA - so there’s no longer lasting commitment to the club after their careers came to an end.

We probably should expect greater loyalty, but both have gone down the Yahoo governed rabbit hole of punditry where speaking ill of your former employers (so long as it’s Rangers) is very much part of the gig.

I’m more offended by guys like Billy Dodds who appear to have a genuine enmity towards us despite the fact we were the obvious highlight in an otherwise unremarkable career.

Last edited:
Is Kenny Miller our Hulk Hogan?

Turned into the biggest heel in the business, complete with badge thumping, but returned against the odds, and against the wishes of a huge section of the crowd, took a while to win them over, but ultimately did with the most face turn thing he could do - banging them in against Celtic - before going away and coming back again and his career with us ended in relative scandal and for political reasons (bust up with Murty). Still given appreciation by the crowd to this day for his efforts.

Weir..

Broadfoot wins this though... fucken stole a career even being at Rangers in the first place, he should wake up each day and thank his plug ugly reflection in the microwave he ever got near the place..

A pish average player utterly carried through a career at Rangers by players more talented, whenever he was given a decent level of responsibility in a formation that wasn't laid out to hide his failings he was exposed as the baws average player he is.

I wasn't a fan when he was here but forgave him as he at minimum gave his all - I wish I hadn't even afforded him that.

Rangers very own Nikki Bella, twat.

Butcher and Hateley are cut from the same cloth - Englishmen who don’t have west of Scotland football DNA - so there’s no longer lasting commitment to the club after their careers came to an end.

We probably should expect greater loyalty, but both have gone down the Yahoo governed rabbit hole of punditry where speaking ill of your former employers (so long as it’s Rangers) is very much part of the gig.

I’m more offended by guys like Billy Dodds who appear to have genuine antipathy towards us despite the fact we were the obvious highlight in an otherwise unremarkable career.
Not having a go at you and i do agree with you about Dodds, but does Hateley not still work for the club?

Weir..

Broadfoot wins this though... fucken stole a career even being at Rangers in the first place, he should wake up each day and thank his plug ugly reflection in the microwave he ever got near the place..

A pish average player utterly carried through a career at Rangers by players more talented, whenever he was given a decent level of responsibility in a formation that wasn't laid out to hide his failings he was exposed as the baws average player he is.

I wasn't a fan when he was here but forgave him as he at minimum gave his all - I wish I hadn't even afforded him that.

Rangers very own Nikki Bella, twat.
Mojo Rawley surely?

Edit: no, he's actually Zack Ryder

As an ambassador I think, which makes his previous actions as erstwhile Yahoo mouthpiece and Chuckle Brothers sycophant all the more galling.

Happy to take the club’s money when it suits him, could be the accusation levelled here.
Wasnt sure if he was still here. Gets on my tits that he behaved the way he did

Mark Hateley and his support of the Grimm Brothers behind Ally’s back.

Hero to Zero.

He has been in and around the club since I'm sure. Perhaps just not entirely sure of the situation at the time and regrets it now looking back. I don't hold him in the same regard as Judas Butcher.

Regarding Ally, I love him but only when he's not talking about Rangers. Remember on BT they were asked when we were level on points with the scum if there was a chance we could do it and he stalled and stalled before Sutton said "of course they can". It was almost as if Ally was scared to say we were going well. Bad day when Sutton is willing to talk up the performance of the team/club before you.

Is Kenny Miller our Hulk Hogan?

Turned into the biggest heel in the business, complete with badge thumping, but returned against the odds, and against the wishes of a huge section of the crowd, took a while to win them over, but ultimately did with the most face turn thing he could do - banging them in against Celtic - before going away and coming back again and his career with us ended in relative scandal and for political reasons (bust up with Murty). Still given appreciation by the crowd to this day for his efforts.

While what Miller done was fairly disgusting, I'm sure he has never proclaimed to be a Rangers man in the way that others like Broadfoot were. Miller was in it for Miller and I don't think he deliberately wanted to %^*& us over.

Ahh right,

I don't think he is as bad as Michael Stewart on Sportscene. A big St Mirren and proud of it, but I don't think he has ever forgotten his time with us. See him around a lot and he seems a decent guy and certainly not bitter.

You'd better check to see what pills you're taking this morning.

I’m more offended by guys like Billy Dodds who appear to have a genuine enmity towards us despite the fact we were the obvious highlight in an otherwise unremarkable career.
In contrast to Butcher and Hately, Englishmen such as Spackman, Drinkell, Steven and in particular, Ray Wilkins have emphasised how much their time at Rangers meant to them. You are quite right about Billy Dodds and his unremarkable career.
Noticed that Kevin Kyle was mouthing off the other week. Can’t imagine that there will be many people whose careers have matched Kyle’s level of unremarkable.

Back