Youth/development players

mandingo

Official Ticketer
After reading the Nathan Young Coombes interview it got me thinking about our youths who admittedly I don't know much about.

So for those on here that follow our youth teams, who are our best prospects?

Stephen Kelly - exciting dynamic midfielder think potentially a young Barry but needs to get a bit of strength to play in the spfl.
Dapo Mebude - super skillful can play across the front 4
Jordan Huston - exciting full back
Robbie Mccrorie - Ross' twin future shagger
josh Mcpake - cultured attacking midfielder won academy player of the year
Zak Rudden - Strong poacher who has done very well at Falkirk on loan
Young-coomes - attacker who looks like he could play across the four because he has a laudrupesq close control and mols esq turn and simpson esq hair
Andrew Dallas - is away on loan but was knocking on the first teams door because he just kept scoring.
Serge Atakayi - one of the few to have a first team competitive debut. Came on against the hammer throwers Motherwell and immediately was given a long term injury which may be why Gerrard has been a bit more careful with handing out debuts. skillful winger who has recovered and been sent on loan to Finland.
Budinaukas - u18 GK who had a fantastic tournament when we won in the middle east.

Last edited:
I have run through a few because those are the ones that have got my attention although other posters know much much more than I. A lot of the players have all the talent but as we know its all about their mind set and how they grow physically in order to make the next few steps.

What's happened to Aiden Wilson? He looked quite promising i felt when he appeared under Caixinha a few times, has he developed since?

There is also the lad that played centre half in a pre season friendly at Ibrox last summer (wigan?). He's out on loan but i forget his name?

Dallas was banging the goals in for the reserves, but looks to have struggled a bit since going to morton on loan. Albeit they're a struggling side just now.

There does seem a be a fair few that are showing potential. Fair to say out best lot in about 10 years? Challenge for everyone at the club is getting them to make the transition from promising youth to first team player.

What's happened to Aiden Wilson? He looked quite promising i felt when he appeared under Caixinha a few times, has he developed since?

There is also the lad that played centre half in a pre season friendly at Ibrox last summer (wigan?). He's out on loan but i forget his name?

Dallas was banging the goals in for the reserves, but looks to have struggled a bit since going to morton on loan. Albeit they're a struggling side just now.

There does seem a be a fair few that are showing potential. Fair to say out best lot in about 10 years? Challenge for everyone at the club is getting them to make the transition from promising youth to first team player.

Kyle Bradley?

Wilson had a few failed loan spells, same as Bradley (the boy you’re talking about).

From what I’ve read Dallas isn’t ready for 1st team football at that level right now, which is probably a bit worrying but theres still time.

This is probably a rather harsh opinion, but I don’t think anyone from the current U21s group will make it at us bar Robby McCrorie. The level below them are much more talented,

Wilson had a few failed loan spells, same as Bradley (the boy you’re talking about).

From what I’ve read Dallas isn’t ready for 1st team football at that level right now, which is probably a bit worrying but theres still time.

This is probably a rather harsh opinion, but I don’t think anyone from the current U21s group will make it at us bar Robby McCrorie. The level below them are much more talented,

even dapo?

Disappointing to see that about Wilson, although i did suspect that might be the case. Didn't realise Burt was still only 20, i assumed older given that he made his debut for us 3 years ago.

What;s your thoughts on Kelly?

The major factor In creati g a World Class Academy is finance. Rangers are trying to replicate the Ajax model. We are well on our way but it costs an absolute fortune to implement and maintain. Ajax in days gone by(And maybe still do) used to put 50% of any incoming transfer fees into their academy. Obviously The Rangers are not in a position,at this time,to copy that part at this time.
The Support need to try and help the financing of this.

Disappointing to see that about Wilson, although i did suspect that might be the case. Didn't realise Burt was still only 20, i assumed older given that he made his debut for us 3 years ago.

What;s your thoughts on Kelly?

I would argue with MSF that Kelly and Mebude are two that could break through in the coming years

Finlayson the boy at centre half looks a player any time I’ve seen him. He captained us to Glasgow Cup glory against the mentally challengeds in the final last year.

Good physical height and build for a defender and calm and composed on the ball. He’s also an international with Northern Ireland U21’s and he’s only 18 IIRC.

He’s one I’ll be keeping a close eye on.

Finlayson the boy at centre half looks a player any time I’ve seen him. He captained us to Glasgow Cup glory against the mentally challengeds in the final last year.

Good physical height and build for a defender and calm and composed on the ball. He’s also an international with Northern Ireland U21’s and he’s only 18 IIRC.

He’s one I’ll be keeping a close eye on.

He’s just scored first minute against the Tims , Gers 1 up

Would be great in the summer if we only buy 3/4 first team quality players then introduce a couple of lads from the academy rather than sign squad fillers from other clubs.

There was a boy I was very impressed with in that Dubai tournament. Cant remember his name now. So composed on the ball. Had long black hair

I kinda hoped that we might have seen a few more youngsters blooded in the first team this season; although I do appreciate that the management team are probably a tad better qualified to be deciding when they are ready.

He’s a group or two below u21.
Gerrard himself, recently said he’s a cert.

I thought he played a lot with the reserves and was even around the first team squad. Didn't realise he was so young! Mccrorie, Billy Gilmore and others have all said he is crazy good.

I thought he played a lot with the reserves and was even around the first team squad. Didn't realise he was so young! Mccrorie, Billy Gilmore and others have all said he is crazy good.
You’re on a hiding here!
Seriously, you’re right.
Very highly thought of and probably not the most highly thought of!
I’ve read, more than once, his kid brother is even better.

Aiden Wilson, Liam Burt and Kyle Bradley all look like they're miles away from the first team.
Totally agree with you pal miles away and doubt they will ever get regular football with us,I do have to say reading some comments on here on other young lads scare me badly there's a few getting over hyped massively for example dapo mebude the boy has pace but no quality and don't think he will get near the first team regular ,we need be careful how excited we get about kids as very few fulfill potential and making them think they're ready is not good as they will always get found out in the end..

Lowry is the one that excites me.

Never seen such a young kid with so much composure when on the ball. He has total control and he sees passes others don’t see.
Strikes me as very South American in his style of play.
Still very young and some growing to do but I will be stunned if he doesn’t end up top class.

Young low
Lowry is the one that excites me.

Never seen such a young kid with so much composure when on the ball. He has total control and he sees passes others don’t see.
Strikes me as very South American in his style of play.
Still very young and some growing to do but I will be stunned if he doesn’t end up top class.

Young Lowry is decent but lots still to learn and filling out to do,Leon king is decent too but young ,I think personally next top bunch too come through with serious chance are Kai Kennedy Kyle McClelland Dickson are all growing and becoming real top prospects at our academy all very composed with great vision and look like real top top players,josh MC pake has also got some serious talent but doesn't look like he wants to play as a team more as an individual..

Young low

Young Lowry is decent but lots still to learn and filling out to do,Leon king is decent too but young ,I think personally next top bunch too come through with serious chance are Kai Kennedy Kyle McClelland Dickson are all growing and becoming real top prospects at our academy all very composed with great vision and look like real top top players,josh MC pake has also got some serious talent but doesn't look like he wants to play as a team more as an individual..

Of the ones older than Lowry, I would say Dapo, Kennedy, Kelly, Dallas, McLelland, McPake and Houston and Atakayi all have that chance. When they get a chance in the first team they have to grab it. Some might have to do it on loan at a decent sized club first though.

Of the ones older than Lowry, I would say Dapo, Kennedy, Kelly, Dallas, McLelland, McPake and Houston and Atakayi all have that chance. When they get a chance in the first team they have to grab it. Some might have to do it on loan at a decent sized club first though.

Agree with you mate ,the problem is the teams we send our lads too, it seems we send them to the dross teams of Scottish football Airdrie ,Alloa, Annan I would hope they could go to bigger clubs than that or higher level than this to learn trade try keep them in premier side of the fence better level better player they learn from.

Watching the Alkaass cup games i thought Kyle McLelland looked really good. Got a deserved red card for a daft tackle but putting that aside he looked very good on the ball for a centre back and won all his tackles.

Back