Great Rangers games not shown on television

dh1963

Reading a few of the threads this week about years gone by threw up mentions of loads of great games or great moments over the last 50 years that were never shown on television.

In no particular order, here's some of the games that were talked about.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2, 1977 after being 2 down at half time.
Rangers 3 Hibs 2, 1979 Scottish Cup final replay.
Rangers 6 Aberdeen 1, 1968 Scottish Cup semi final.
Rangers 3 Celtic 1, 1979 Dryborough Cup final.

I could throw in a few more off the top of my head.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2, 1978 League Cup semi final.
Rangers 6 Aberdeen 1, 1977 League Cup tie where I still think we played as well as I have ever seen.
Celtic 1 Rangers 1, 1985 league game where we were a goal down and down to 9 men v 11.
Rangers 2 Ayr 0, 1973 Scottish Cup semi final and my first Rangers game at Hampden.
Rangers 3 Celtic 0, 1985 league game
Motherwell 0 Rangers 1, 1987 league game when Graham Robert's scored from 40 yards
Rangers 5 Scotland 0, 1978 John Greig testimonial.

Some of these games have some kind of YouTube footage, most have nothing. Really wish football had the TV coverage back then we see now. Not sure why some were never shown, there were a few during TV strikes or disputes.

If anyone finds highlights of any of these games, please do share them.

This season.

The Kilmarnock game at home, shown on a delay. A joke for folk that couldn't make the game and avoiding here and Social media till 10pm.

Reading a few of the threads this week about years gone by threw up mentions of loads of great games or great moments over the last 50 years that were never shown on television.

Rangers 6 Aberdeen 1, 1977 League Cup tie where I still think we played as well as I have ever seen.
Celtic 1 Rangers 1, 1985 league game where we were a goal down and down to 9 men v 11.
Rangers 2 Ayr 0, 1973 Scottish Cup semi final and my first Rangers game at Hampden.
Motherwell 0 Rangers 1, 1987 league game when Graham Robert's scored from 40 yards

Some of these games have some kind of YouTube footage, most have nothing. Really wish football had the TV coverage back then we see now. Not sure why some were never shown, there were a few during TV strikes or disputes.

Re Roberts...was it not 55yards. Lol.
I add a yard everytime it's mentioned.

Was there not a time when the BBC refused to film games at Ibrox due to what they said was too many trackside adverts. We had a double row of adverts, one on the terracing wall and one on the track itself. They said there should only be one.

Remember listening to the 4-2 (1994 NYD) win at the piggery on the radio when I was a wee boy. Was it on tele?

Watched it on teletext that day :))

I know there was highlights but a 3-3 draw at Easter Road in 2007 was a cracking game that wasn't shown live due to it being a rare Saturday 3pm away day.

Every goal was a peach as well.

A lot of the games the OP mentions had no cameras at them. The 3-2 in 1977, there was a strike. 1979 cf 2nd replay was only covered by news film cameras.

The 3-1 second leg UEFA cup game against Inter Milan 84 or 85 wasn't on TV in Scotland at all.

A great game and Italian TV highlights can be seen on YouTube.

Was not on TV due a dispute between TV companies and SFA/SPL
Found this on you tube, it's a great watch you, this footage shows you how much TV commentary ruins games on the box.

The BB @7.29 is brilliant, shows how much atmosphere now a days is crap.

Last edited:

Mr Struth video of this game is on youtube.

There was a tv strike at the time, and I actually filmed this one from my seat in the Govan Stand.

Was at 6-1 game against the sheep in 69 Scottish cup semi can't believe there was no highlights of that game I wonder why that was

Highlights were shown that night.

I remember because I was watching them when my sister came in with her new engagement ring, which I dutifully ignored until the match highlights were finished.

The other semi was at Hampden between Celtic and Morton, in front of just 41,000 fans. There were 25,000 more at our game at Parkhead, and Aberdeen had a good team at that time, going on to win the Scottish Cup the following season. We absolutely destroyed them that day.

The venues for the two semis should have been Rangers v Aberdeen at Hampden, and Celtic v Morton at Ibrox. Instead, the SFA, guided by Robert Kelly, selected the Celtic semi for Hampden and the Rangers one for Parkhead, which in those days had a stand that only held 4,000 (as opposed to Ibrox (10,500 in those days) so the SFA shafting Rangers is by no means just a recent phenomenon.

They have been doing this since at least the days of Willie Woodburn.

Whole game was shown as a delayed transmission.

Think I'm right in saying the games in the OP didn't even have highlights on telly.
Remember as a kid settling down to watch the delayed showing later than evening with family and neighbours and not knowing the score Also remembering my parents just bought a new colour tv, only for the game to be shown in black and white.

Wasn’t at the 3-2 game against them in 1977 but would have loved to have seen the highlights... A tv strike if my memory serves me well.

There's footage of the 3 - 0 poet game in 85 bud, recorded from the Govan rear.

Not strictly televised but it's good footage.
My first old firm, I was 13.
We had a slow start and were expected to lose. What a match!!
The video from the Govan was the first I had seen it from that day, so thank you FF.

Was at the 3-2 game v ceptic in 1977 . 0-2 at half time what a game one of the best i've been at . No coverage due to an advertisement ban . i think the game should have been covered by the bbc. as i'm pretty sure the bbc and stv took a game each . Something to do with advertising anyway . I asked on the old FF if anyone had footage or knowledge of any , never seen or heard of any so take there's none .Shame .

Was there not a time when the BBC refused to film games at Ibrox due to what they said was too many trackside adverts. We had a double row of adverts, one on the terracing wall and one on the track itself. They said there should only be one.

Most of our home matches in 1978/79 were ignored. I think STV boycotted us as well as the BBC, though they were back by March for the European Cup match with Cologne. 5-3 and 6-3 wins over Hearts and Dundee were missed as a result, both great matches.

0-2 at pittodrie. Must have been late 80s, remember being in the beach end and super scored a screamer from around 30yards he possibly got both that day. Have never to this day seen any footage of the match.

The Ayr game was my first ever Rangers game.

If i remember rightly, the game v Leeds wasnt on TV?
The leeds game was live on Ulster tv . A few of us went down to Irvine as it could get Ulster tv to watch it . Came back up the road saying we couldn't play worse down there and we'd get a result down there and for once i was correct . Couldn't stop telling people at the time and feck me i'm doing it again :p

An away midweek win at Tannadice, ( late 80’s early 90’s)Mark Walters scored one if the best goals I’ve ever seen

0-2 at pittodrie. Must have been late 80s, remember being in the beach end and super scored a screamer from around 30yards he possibly got both that day. Have never to this day seen any footage of the match.
Yep was there that day as well, league already wrapped up Super got the golden boot for those two goals.
The second McCoist video has these goals , easily available on youtube

Remember as a kid settling down to watch the delayed showing later than evening with family and neighbours and not knowing the score Also remembering my parents just bought a new colour tv, only for the game to be shown in black and white.
Ha. Was at Hampden for the Scotland and hime for the delayed action. Which was that semi slow mo black and white stuff

The Hibs cup final 2nd replay could never be described as great. Those who went to this game having been at the first two deserved great credit for their perseverance in looking for a game of football. It never appeared although we did win the cup.

The Hibs cup final 2nd replay could never be described as great. Those who went to this game having been at the first two deserved great credit for their perseverance in looking for a game of football. It never appeared although we did win the cup.

Was at all three. At the third game me and my mate went from the terracing to the South Stand at the start of extra time ( you could do that then when they opened the gates 10/15 minutes before the end of the regulation 90 minutes) and had a great view along the bye line as Arthur Duncan headed in an o.g. for the winner for us.

I think I'm right in saying there were no highlights of us beating Celtic in the league cup semi-final in the 1978/79 season.

3-2 after extra time and the winner for us was an own goal by Jim Casey.

Was not on TV due a dispute between TV companies and SFA/SPL
Found this on you tube, it's a great watch you, this footage shows you how much TV commentary ruins games on the box.

The BB @7.29 is brilliant, shows how much atmosphere now a days is crap.

Out breath just watching that footage. Great football.

Back