Where are the biggest Rangers/Celtic areas in Glasgow/Scotland?

Inverness and the highlands in general are majority Rangers if im thinking right?
Definitely. Highlanders are staunch. And aren’t the Inverness True Blues up there as one of the biggest RSCs supporters-wise? In fact I think the biggest anywhere is on one of the islands?

According to the last census figures only Croy, Coatbridge, Carfin and a couple of other places in Scotland had a catholic majority.

The catholic population in Scotland has dropped from around 17% to 15% in the last 12 years.

According to the last census figures only Croy, Coatbridge, Carfin and a couple of other places in Scotland had a catholic majority.

The catholic population in Scotland has dropped from around 17% to 15% in the last 12 years.
Isn't the 15% based on the 2011 census too? Expect it to be about 10% come the 2021 census.

Might have been posted already but Kinning Park must be the staunchest place in Glasgow. Never see any of them and it's as close to NI loyalist areas as you can get in Scotland.

People always talk up Croy and Carfin too, but both places are genuinely tiny, especially Croy. If Croy was a part of Cumbernauld (which it will be eventually because Cumbernauld keeps getting bigger) it would be about half the size of Cumbernauld village which is the smallest (and staunchest) of many areas of Cnauld. Only a few hundred people in Croy. Its claim to fame is the train station!

Last edited:
In the Rhins of Galloway there are about 10 Kirks to 1 chapel, but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of green and grey. There is even a Mhank supporters club in Stranraer, although an RSC picks up there. Why do non RCs support that fhilthy mob?

In my experience Springburn is more Rangers. I'm not from there so might be misinformed but everyone I do know from there are Rangers. I would say most of the south side is, Pollokshields, Shawlands, Cardonald and Penilee. Although of course I could be wrong.

Springburn is imo very staunch always has been even before you factor in Barmulloch & Balornock one Secondary School Caption area shows that down the years we are more prominent Secondary School being the former Big Albert now Springburn Academy

Out in northern north lanarkshire

Cumbernauld, Airdrie, Greengairs, Kilsyth, Glenmavis

All Rangers and strongly so

Croy and Coatbridge

The less said the better

Moodiesburn i dont honestly know, same with Caldercruix

Moodiesburn I would say is predominantly more Rangers as the George Soutar Loyal has quite a big following.

Would also have to suggest that Glasgow, especially the citys east end and further out to North Lanarkshire are the most pro-celtic areas in Scotland but thats down to their ancestors chosing to move to these parts of the country for work when they first came over and so they haven't really ventured out into other parts of Scotland.

The thought that Rangers is probably the vast majority in every other town outside the East End of Glasgow and certain parts of North Lanarkshire is quite probably true as the Irish catholics never chose to settle anywhere else other than perhaps Edinburgh (as Hibs were formed), Dundee (Dundee Hibernians now Dundee United) and parts of Inverclyde, now most notibly with areas like Greenock and Port Glasgow, but in much lesser numbers.

Celtic towns and areas that immediately spring to mind are Royston, Coatbridge, Port Glasgow and Clydebank.

Rangers - most of Ayrshire, Bearsden/Milngavie, Newton Mearns, Clarkston, Giffnock, Larkhall, Strathaven, Bridgeton, Cambuslang, Shettleston.

Rangers - Ashgill, Netherburn, Stonehouse, Overtown, Law, Greengairs, Slamannan, Caldercruix.

Isn't the 15% based on the 2011 census too? Expect it to be about 10% come the 2021 census.

Like us (the Protestants) they are also secularising - - albeit a lot more slowly and RC’s are still more likely to tick the religious box as opposed to no religion - however this doesn’t necessarily translate to a drop in support for the filth.

And as others have said you have those idiots who don’t come from an RC background who somehow find it a good idea to support a club who’s fan base in general hates everything about them and their identity due to a misguided belief they are championing the cause of the oppressed underdog.

We are still comfortably ahead of them in Scottish terms and, apart from pockets of depravity in and around Glasgow/Inverclyde/N. Lanarkshire (most of Coatbridge, Royston, Blackhill, Cleland, Gorbals etc), also probably are 60/40 in what you would term as ‘Greater Glasgow’

Once we hit 55 - and beyond hopefully - the outpouring of joy and celebration will hammer home just how many of us there are out there

People always talk up Croy and Carfin too, but both places are genuinely tiny, especially Croy. If Croy was a part of Cumbernauld (which it will be eventually because Cumbernauld keeps getting bigger) it would be about half the size of Cumbernauld village which is the smallest (and staunchest) of many areas of Cnauld. Only a few hundred people in Croy. Its claim to fame is the train station!

100% spot on YG.

Croy has a population of only just over 1500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moodiesburn I would say is predominantly more Rangers as the George Soutar Loyal has quite a big following.

Moodiesburn is actually one of the more populated RC areas in Scotland at around 40% RC Nacho.

Like us (the Protestants) they are also secularising - - albeit a lot more slowly and RC’s are still more likely to tick the religious box as opposed to no religion - however this doesn’t necessarily translate to a drop in support for the filth.

And as others have said you have those idiots who don’t come from an RC background who somehow find it a good idea to support a club who’s fan base in general hates everything about them and their identity due to a misguided belief they are championing the cause of the oppressed underdog.

We are still comfortably ahead of them in Scottish terms and, apart from pockets of depravity in and around Glasgow/Inverclyde/N. Lanarkshire (most of Coatbridge, Royston, Blackhill, Cleland, Gorbals etc), also probably are 60/40 in what you would term as ‘Greater Glasgow’

Once we hit 55 - and beyond hopefully - the outpouring of joy and celebration will hammer home just how many of us there are out

As it stands, it's about 65/35 in the Greater Glasgow area.

I went to Netherlee School in the 80's - it was 90/10% in favour of Rangers fans with your usual handful of Aberdeen/DU fans at the time. My kid goes there now and its about 50/50 Rangers/Tims in his class.

Without getting too involved with the demographics of the area - Stamperland is quite a bit cheaper than Netherlee and Clarkston for housing so historically you got a lot of tims moving into the area from Glasgow so they got into the catchment area of the schools. Still seeing this now, I got two new neighbours in the last two years across from me and both are frigging tims! One came from the East End one from Govan.

If you go to Overlee park on a sunny day you'll see much more tims strips than Rangers (possibly affected by the boycott I suppose).

Stamperland Church is close to closing too, so you're Presbyterian community has lost it’s grip (I know you could say this about all areas….)

There's also a coach that takes the OLM kids to school - stops at a couple of stops in the area. So there’s no reason for families not to move into the area due to being far away from the nearest Catholic school.

All in all, it’s seen the biggest change compared to it’s neighbours in Clarkston, Netherlee, Mearns. I put that down to the religious demographics/SIMD data of typically poorer catholics wanting to move into a better area but not being able to afford the Clarkston/Netherlee areas.

Is it not a bit outdated to assume Catholics are poorer than Protestants?

What's SW Scotland like these days? when I left 25 years ago it was mainly Rangers although there was a couple of buses of puddle drinkers from Dumfries .

Would also have to suggest that Glasgow, especially the citys east end and further out to North Lanarkshire are the most pro-celtic areas in Scotland but thats down to their ancestors chosing to move to these parts of the country for work when they first came over and so they haven't really ventured out into other parts of Scotland.

The thought that Rangers is probably the vast majority in every other town outside the East End of Glasgow and certain parts of North Lanarkshire is quite probably true as the Irish catholics never chose to settle anywhere else other than perhaps Edinburgh (as Hibs were formed), Dundee (Dundee Hibernians now Dundee United) and parts of Inverclyde, now most notibly with areas like Greenock and Port Glasgow, but in much lesser numbers.

With your last paragraph, especially regarding Greenock and Port Glasgow, I have taken a leaf out of the mentally challengeds playbook for years now. Whenever the subject comes up regarding those areas I always slip in that the reason there are so many of them there is due to the Yellow convoys when they couldn't wait to scuttle back from where they came before ww2 only to return en masse when it was over.

The Urban Dictionary definition of them is quite apt.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yellow Convoy

The large-scale exodus of Irish Catholic immigrants leaving Glasgow to return again to Ireland upon the onset of World War II. As war appeared imminent, a vast amount of these creatures went back home in cowardice with their tails between their grossly misshapen legs.
Look: the Yellow Convoy...happy to enjoy the benefits of living in this country, but when the going gets tough, off they scuttle.

I went to Netherlee School in the 80's - it was 90/10% in favour of Rangers fans with your usual handful of Aberdeen/DU fans at the time. My kid goes there now and its about 50/50 Rangers/Tims in his class.

Without getting too involved with the demographics of the area - Stamperland is quite a bit cheaper than Netherlee and Clarkston for housing so historically you got a lot of tims moving into the area from Glasgow so they got into the catchment area of the schools. Still seeing this now, I got two new neighbours in the last two years across from me and both are frigging tims! One came from the East End one from Govan.

If you go to Overlee park on a sunny day you'll see much more tims strips than Rangers (possibly affected by the boycott I suppose).

Stamperland Church is close to closing too, so you're Presbyterian community has lost it’s grip (I know you could say this about all areas….)

There's also a coach that takes the OLM kids to school - stops at a couple of stops in the area. So there’s no reason for families not to move into the area due to being far away from the nearest Catholic school.

All in all, it’s seen the biggest change compared to it’s neighbours in Clarkston, Netherlee, Mearns. I put that down to the religious demographics/SIMD data of typically poorer catholics wanting to move into a better area but not being able to afford the Clarkston/Netherlee areas.

Stampy is still predominantly us, but in a far reduced majprity than neighbouring areas.

I'm an admin on a Rangers Facebook page with 30,000 people on it and demographics are 12% aged 18-24, 22% aged 25-34, 18% aged 35-44, 15% aged 45-54 to name a few

UK, then Australia, then USA, then Canada for highest supporting countries

Highest supporting cities in UK are, Glasgow, then Edinburgh, then Belfast, then Falkirk, then Paisley, then Ayr, then Airdrie, then Bathgate, then London, then Irvine, then Hamilton, then East Kilbride, then Stirling, then Aberdeen, then Livingston, then Kilmarnock, then Greenock, then Inverness, then Wishaw, then Alloa, then Dundee, then Dunfermline, then Larkhall, then Motherwell, then Dumfries, then Cumbernauld, then Perth, then Lanark, then Coatbridge, then Kircaldy

@MearnsUnionist Well according to the average Rangers supporter, Hamilton is the 11th most staunch town in Britain statistically so you are proven correct!

Last edited:
I'm an admin on a Rangers Facebook page with 30,000 people on it and demographics are 12% aged 18-24, 22% aged 25-34, 18% aged 35-44, 15% aged 45-54 to name a few

UK, then Australia, then USA, then Canada for highest supporting countries

Highest supporting cities in UK are, Glasgow, then Edinburgh, then Belfast, then Falkirk, then Paisley, then Ayr, then Airdrie, then Bathgate, then London, then Irvine, then Hamilton, then East Kilbride, then Stirling, then Aberdeen, then Livingston, then Kilmarnock, then Greenock, then Inverness, then Wishaw, then Alloa, then Dundee, then Dunfermline, then Larkhall, then Motherwell, then Dumfries, then Cumbernauld, then Perth, then Lanark, then Coatbridge, then Kircaldy

@MearnsUnionist Well according to the average Rangers supporter, Hamilton is the 11th most staunch town in Britain statistically so you are proven correct!

Makes a change mate lol.

North Glasgow

Maryhill - Celtic
Woodside- Rangers
Cowcaddens - Celtic
Sighthill - Celtic
Possil - Rangers
Springburn - Rangers
Royston - Celtic

East End

Dennistoun - Rangers
Calton - Celtic
Bridgeton - Rangers
Dalmarnock - Rangers
Parkhead - Rangers
Carntyne - Celtic
Shettleston - Rangers
Tolcross - Celtic

West End

St George’s Cross - Rangers
Anderston - Rangers
Finneston - Celtic
Byres Rd/Kelvinhall - Celtic
Partick - Rangers
Whiteinch - Rangers
Scotstoun - Rangers
Yoker - Celtic
Knightswood - Rangers

Southside

Gorbals - Celtic
Govanhill - Celtic
Queens Park - Celtic
Rutherglen - Rangers
Toryglen - Celtic
Tradeston - Rangers
Kinning Park - Rangers
Ibrox - Rangers
Govan - Celtic
Drumoyne/Linthouse - Rangers
Cardonald - Celtic

North Glasgow

Maryhill - Celtic
Woodside- Rangers
Cowcaddens - Celtic
Sighthill - Celtic
Possil - Rangers
Springburn - Rangers
Royston - Celtic

East End

Dennistoun - Rangers
Calton - Celtic
Bridgeton - Rangers
Dalmarnock - Rangers
Parkhead - Rangers
Carntyne - Celtic
Shettleston - Rangers
Tolcross - Celtic

West End

Anderston - Rangers
Finneston - Celtic
Partick - Rangers
Whiteinch - Rangers
Scotstoun - Rangers
Yoker - Celtic
Knightswood - Rangers

Southside

Gorbals - Celtic
Govanhill - Celtic
Queens Park - Celtic
Rutherglen - Rangers
Toryglen - Celtic
Tradeston - Rangers
Kinning Park - Rangers
Ibrox - Rangers
Govan - Celtic
Cardonald - Celtic
Toryglen have a big RSC never knew it favoured them mate

No Celtic tops ever spotted in the area in Northampton I live in. One or two FF posters in the area as well. Even when I lived back home I hardly seen any, probably the McStay family and half a dozen others.

North Glasgow

Maryhill - Celtic
Woodside- Rangers
Cowcaddens - Celtic
Sighthill - Celtic
Possil - Rangers
Springburn - Rangers
Royston - Celtic

East End

Dennistoun - Rangers
Calton - Celtic
Bridgeton - Rangers
Dalmarnock - Rangers
Parkhead - Rangers
Carntyne - Celtic
Shettleston - Rangers
Tolcross - Celtic

West End

Anderston - Rangers
Finneston - Celtic
Partick - Rangers
Whiteinch - Rangers
Scotstoun - Rangers
Yoker - Celtic
Knightswood - Rangers

Southside

Gorbals - Celtic
Govanhill - Celtic
Queens Park - Celtic
Rutherglen - Rangers
Toryglen - Celtic
Tradeston - Rangers
Kinning Park - Rangers
Ibrox - Rangers
Govan - Celtic
Cardonald - Celtic

Yoker isn't Celtic

Ashgill used to have a higher population per head in the orange order than anywhere in the world at one time and Stonehouse's favourite anthem was 'there's no chapel in our town'.

Probably different now but back when we were boys it was very much that way.

Ashgill used to have a higher population per head in the orange order than anywhere in the world at one time and Stonehouse's favourite anthem was 'there's no chapel in our town'.

Probably different now but back when we were boys it was very much that way.
im from ashgill the lodge is small now ,but still full of true blues

Reactions: cav
Back