Where Are They Now? - Gregor Stevens

It would have been a thing of beauty him running to take the ball from the legobully, Gregor could also play football and pick out a pass

Without reading the article beforehand, I was going to say my late dad used to have dealings with him in GS's capacity as a salesman, and confirmed he was a very articulate, polite guy. I couldn't get the mental picture out of my head of him breaking Paul Sturrock's jaw in a heavy defeat at Ibrox.

My dad dealt with Gregor when he worked for his tool company in Motherwell,he was an absolute gentleman and regularly got us tickets for away games,one picked up tickets from his house in Torrance and had the great pleasure to meet him.Dad has been retired for well over 20 years now so he has lost contact with Gregor.

An absolute nutter.

We were losing one night at home to Dundee United and he lost the plot, nearly snapping Paul Sturrock in half.
When he didn't lose his temper he wasn't a bad player. When he lost it, he could easily have ended up in jail!

I'm surprised by the fondness on this thread.

Although I was young, he was the first Rangers player I disliked.

If he didn't actually score an own goal he was responsible for Morton's goal at my first visit to Ibrox.

A 1-1 draw in Oct 81.

Not the only reason I didn't like him.

Did Greig buy him as his own replacement?

I'm surprised by the fondness on this thread.

Although I was young, he was the first Rangers player I disliked.

If he didn't actually score an own goal he was responsible for Morton's goal at my first visit to Ibrox.

A 1-1 draw in Oct 81.

Not the only reason I didn't like him.

Did Greig buy him as his own replacement?

He brought him back to Scottish football from Leicester, we needed new blood at centre half as both Colin Jackson and Tom Forsyth were in the veteran category.

He brought him back to Scottish football from Leicester, we needed new blood at centre half as both Colin Jackson and Tom Forsyth were in the veteran category.

It's astounding that until 1982 we had McCloy (I know Stewart payed most of 81/2 but McCloy then displaced him 82/3), Jardine,Forsyth and Jackson.

4 out of a back 5 that played a decade earlier.

Even when he was virtually retired he hadn't calmed down any.
Sent off twice at Rugby Park in the same season with different teams, not many players will have managed that.

Think at that time we needed him and his “style”. Great for a season and wish we had a defender in his mould now tbh.

I think we had Gregor , Jim Steel, Tam Forsyth LL at the same time, Steel was as hard as nails as well

My only real memory of him was him breaking a Kilmarnock player's leg in a friendly of all things, played on a snowy day in midwinter to give us a game. It was brutal, and you could hear the boy's leg snap on the terracing. I'm pretty sure Stevens got a lengthy ban for that. Not a nice memory I'm afraid!

My only real memory of him was him breaking a Kilmarnock player's leg in a friendly of all things, played on a snowy day in midwinter to give us a game. It was brutal, and you could hear the boy's leg snap on the terracing. I'm pretty sure Stevens got a lengthy ban for that. Not a nice memory I'm afraid!

Killie player was called Albert Morrison. The injury basically ended his career, he ended up playing junior.

I think we had Gregor , Jim Steel, Tam Forsyth LL at the same time, Steel was as hard as nails as well

Jim Steel was signed on short term loan as cover from Southampton as short term cover for big Tam who was out injured.

Steel didn’t last long and thankfully we didn’t chase his signature as he was as slow as a week in the jail.

Killie player was called Albert Morrison. The injury basically ended his career, he ended up playing junior.

Cheers mate. I couldn't remember the guy's name but recall it pretty much finished him as a player. I checked when this was and it was 23rd January 1982, and we lost 3-0. A shitty day all round, including the freezing weather!

Jim Steel was signed on short term loan as cover from Southampton as short term cover for big Tam who was out injured.

Steel didn’t last long and thankfully we didn’t chase his signature as he was as slow as a week in the jail.

Steele was only with us for a month in 76-77, well before we signed Steven's.

Think Steele got booked every game he played, he was an animal!

Met Gregor a few times when he played for eastercraigs along with a mate of mine, he was signed for Motherwell then & came across as a really nice guy
I never seen him play for Rangers as I was abroad at that time, but heh a boy from the Drum grew up to live the dream
I think he was one of four on the field on an old firm game that attended the same school
Him, John Macdonald, Danny Mcgrain,sorry forgot the other player ( too much to drink)

Met Gregor a few times when he played for eastercraigs along with a mate of mine, he was signed for Motherwell then & came across as a really nice guy
I never seen him play for Rangers as I was abroad at that time, but heh a boy from the Drum grew up to live the dream
I think he was one of four on the field on an old firm game that attended the same school
Him, John Macdonald, Danny Mcgrain,sorry forgot the other player ( too much to drink)
Alex Miller

I can't remember if it was his debut for us but my recollection is his first game at Ibrox he played the ball into row A or row Z every time it came near him. Although just a kid myself I'd never seen any Rangers player that nervous, on edge, or limited.

It never got that much better over his Rangers career and I'm still none the wiser if he was careful, rubbish or nuts.

See him at least once a week collecting his grandkid from same school as my wee one.Know his son as well.He’s a decent lad also.Unrecognisable today.

Well as a player very ordinary, he wasn’t so much a hard man more just dirty. Greig Forsyth shearer and the hardest of them all Harold Davis could all play a bit as well.
As a bloke really nice pretty quiet.

Used to see him in the Torrance Inn a lot back in the 80's always came across as a decent Guy .

Back