Sunderland

Sunderland is no different from other towns /cities around the uk, lots of bears ( like me ), lots who support the local team but side with us...also lots of poets, theres a poet supporters club in Sunderland, though i think they merged with the Tyneside branch.

I don't know why every thread about an English team turns into half the posters calling them tims and the other half saying they prefer us.

I would imagine the vast majority of Sunderland fans don't give a shit about us or them.

The ones I was with at Wembley the other week were all pro Rangers, absolutely hate Celtc ,and asked what’s the crack with them and Palestine ? I don’t really know but whereabouts in Glasgow is Palestine got a few laughs

I don't know why every thread about an English team turns into half the posters calling them tims and the other half saying they prefer us.

I would imagine the vast majority of Sunderland fans don't give a shit about us or them.

Aye but it's all about the 'second teams'

Quite enjoy watching these threads descend.

Ironically I just finished watching The Netflix documentary.to be honest always had a soft spot for Sunderland since they won the fa cup in 73 and seeing a Sunderland loyalists banner at Ibrox in the early to mid 80’s.was at the game down there in 93 and all the Sunderland fans I came across that day were a good bunch.
Watching the documentary Bain and jimmy sinclair talking about signing policies sent shivers down my spine

Element of truth there and goes for most clubs in England

They've had games in hand for the last few months, which, if they'd won, would always see them second, which I suppose would offer some level of confidence that they'd be set for promotion.

That should still be the case if they win their one remaining game in hand they have over Barnsley, However, Pompey have turned up the heat over the last few weeks after falling away badly (they're only separated by goal difference at the moment though Pompey also have a game in hand over Barnsley).

It's Sunderland v Pompey on 27 April, massive game. I think Sunderland will just edge into second place in the end.

Ironically I just finished watching The Netflix documentary.to be honest always had a soft spot for Sunderland since they won the fa cup in 73 and seeing a Sunderland loyalists banner at Ibrox in the early to mid 80’s.was at the game down there in 93 and all the Sunderland fans I came across that day were a good bunch.
Watching the documentary Bain and jimmy sinclair talking about signing policies sent shivers down my spine
That banner was probably me ..

They've had games in hand for the last few months, which, if they'd won, would always see them second, which I suppose would offer some level of confidence that they'd be set for promotion.

That should still be the case if they win their one remaining game in hand they have over Barnsley, However, Pompey have turned up the heat over the last few weeks after falling away badly (they're only separated by goal difference at the moment though Pompey also have a game in hand over Barnsley).

It's Sunderland v Pompey on 27 April, massive game. I think Sunderland will just edge into second place in the end.
I wouldn't rule out Charlton, best team ive seen in that division and best player in Lyle Taylor imo. Hitting form at the right time.

Sunderland are the north east equivalent of Celtic. Founded on the basis of mass catholic immigration who moved over to work in the shipyards. Fck em.
You just made that up - can only assume you're a grade A twat or have leanings towards N******E Utd. Most of the "mass catholic immigration" you strangely speak of settled in the North West and Lancashire. SAFC were founded by a school teacher!!! Got load of mates down Sunderland way and most have a preference towards us (and a lot like Hearts too) Celtic fucking hated down there.

Glad they lost!
Hoping we can win our remaining games and the Sunderland v Pompey game is a draw, then we're up automatic. Knowing Barnsley we can mess it up tho!

My pal lives in Sunderland and took me to a game a couple of years ago. I seen a flag being unfurled outside saying Sunderland and hibs on it. Fck Sunderland. Hope they never come back up:mad:

My pal lives in Sunderland and took me to a game a couple of years ago. I seen a flag being unfurled outside saying Sunderland and hibs on it. Fck Sunderland. Hope they never come back up:mad:
Trust me mate there’s no love between Sunderland and the Spoon Burners as the pleasantries exchanged prior and after the pre-season friendly at Easter Road 2/3 years back showed :cool:.

I wish them all the best, and the same to the other teams going for promotion.
They are a big club with so much potential, I know there is major differences between our game and the game in England,but I still can't believe a club of that size is in the third tier.
:oops:

been to the stadium of light about 4 or 5 times,,i have to say its been absolutely baltic every time, must be the coldest ground in england or I've just been unlucky when I have been down, even binned off my usual half time pint for a coffee the last couple of times as it was that cold

They are a big club with so much potential, I know there is major differences between our game and the game in England,but I still can't believe a club of that size is in the third tier.

Nor can we believe they’re down there mate , total mismanagement and players who did not give a %^*&

been to the stadium of light about 4 or 5 times,,i have to say its been absolutely baltic every time, must be the coldest ground in england or I've just been unlucky when I have been down, even binned off my usual half time pint for a coffee the last couple of times as it was that cold
Living in Sunderland , i can tell you its much colder than Glasgow

Only the 2nd time in the club's history that we have been playing 3rd tier League football that is how far we have fallen as @willowbankbear says total mismanagement and players who did not give a %^*&

Only the 2nd time in the club's history that we have been playing 3rd tier League football that is how far we have fallen as @willowbankbear says total mismanagement and players who did not give a %^*&

Mind the last time ? I was able to get to a few matches , Blackpool away was mad , York city at home , Plymouth , and Northampton at home great times but should never have been there that time either - Laurie fucking mcmenemy !!!!
The Portsmouth match is gone be massive , hope safc get the rave on coz otherwise it’s gona be more tears

I was there today, incredible game, it was like watching an attack v defence training game.
I saw Coventry v Oxford a few weeks ago and wouldn't have thought they could score 5 in a season based on that game!! Incidentally I also saw Sunderland v Peterborough earlier in the season and have kept an eye on Sunderland's results since. They seem to be doing their best to blow automatic promotion. Play-offs for them I think.

Quite tight at the top. L|uton look certs and its 1 from 4 for the other automatic place. Game v Pompey is massive. and its playoffs if we don't win that. Them and charlton below us as well as Donny who we play on friday have all won last 4 so momentum is all important

I had a Rangers/Sunderland double on for the Cups. Not a fortune but I had a jolly good evening on the winnings.

Mind the last time ? I was able to get to a few matches , Blackpool away was mad , York city at home , Plymouth , and Northampton at home great times but should never have been there that time either - Laurie fucking mcmenemy !!!!
The Portsmouth match is gone be massive , hope safc get the rave on coz otherwise it’s gona be more tears

Before my time of going since I was only a kid at the time but older to realise the impact due to what my Gran told me, she was from Sunderland hence why I support them. Have read some of the stories of that 1987/88 season on RTG, interesting to say the least

Because it happened again I have been able to experience some of the madness again and while it probably shouldn't be happening it has been fun to the least

Doncaster is far bigger at the moment just take 1 game at a time

Last edited:
Quite tight at the top. L|uton look certs and its 1 from 4 for the other automatic place. Game v Pompey is massive. and its playoffs if we don't win that. Them and charlton below us as well as Donny who we play on friday have all won last 4 so momentum is all important

Taking just 1 from 6 has been a killer given the fact Luton have dropped points

Both Doncaster and Peterborough are still playing for the play-off last spot and are both key games for us before the Portsmouth game

Followed/supported Sunderland from a distance since the Peter Reid/Kevin Philips days, two consecutive 7th place finishes in the EPL. Those years are long gone, hasn’t been easy following Sunderland and Rangers the last number of years has it.
Ha'way the lads! That which did not destroy us has made us stronger. Keep believing.

Was down for a game the other month at home v Wimbledon and was really surprised by how poor they were. They scraped it 1-0 but that team wouldn't do much in the championship.

On way back from game

Done what was needed then couldn't hold on sums up our season

Still outside chance of automatic promotion but a big ask

Play-offs it is

Interestingly it's now in Portsmouth's hands to nab the second automatic promotion spot. They've been on some run to drag themselves back into it after falling away from their great start.

On way back from game

Done what was needed then couldn't hold on sums up our season

Still outside chance of automatic promotion but a big ask

Play-offs it is

Was that you who set off the red smoke :))

Sums up your football experience this season Al, safe journey home.

Back