Hillsborough - 30 years have passed

Horrible to think of going to a match and not returning, never mind it being covered up & being blamed for the tragedy as well.

Was that banner displayed at yesterday's Liverpool game? I was positive I saw something with our club crest on it behind the goal opposite the Kop during a crowd shot.

Was that banner displayed at yesterday's Liverpool game? I was positive I saw something with our club crest on it behind the goal opposite the Kop during a crowd shot.
It has been on several occasions but I missed the game yesterday so can’t say

It was a flag with a Rangers and Chelsea badge on it, in the Chelsea end.

Not sure if this flag was at the game, but that’s the one you saw on the telly

I remember hearing about this as I walked home from the Scottish cup semi against st Johnstone at the piggery..

I remember hearing about this as I walked home from the Scottish cup semi against st Johnstone at the piggery..
Remember getting back on our bus and a big policeman coming on and asked him if he knew details of what was happening down at Sheffield and he said it’s bad,very bad.

Was gonna say exactly the same thing, was a very sunny day and only when leaving did news start to filter through on the trannies.

That was the days of jumping over the stream of piss (literally) running down and across the pathway up to the Rangers end.

My mate Gordon died at the game. I was down in Liverpool staying at his. He went to the game and I went with a few othermates to Southport for the day. We heard about it on the train back to Liverpool. Tragic.

I started going to football matches without my parents at that time and there was always an element of knowing an incident like that could have happened at any number of grounds in the UK.

Through our own experience, Ibrox was mostly all-seater already and our support aware enough of the risks.
I remember being nervous at times leaving Parkhead or Hampden as you still felt pushed along in the crowd at times and not in total control of your direction, especially as a lanky teenager.

Yeah I mind walking up the road after the game at the piggery and meeting my dad’s mate just outside Whitehill and he told us there was crowd trouble at Hillsborough. By the time we got back to Ally Parade and stuck on the telly we realised it wasn’t hooliganism.

Can’t believe it was 30 years ago though.

I was 13 at the time, not a care in the world standing in the old jungle with my dad and others from our bus who we went with every week, there was a boy near us with a radio who said at half time that the Liverpool game had been abandoned because of crowd trouble.

When we got back to the bus the driver had the radio on and the reality of what had happened slowly became clear, I remember the bus being quiet on the way home, we didn't go into the pub as was usual when we got back, as my mum was waiting at the bus stop and we all went home.

In the days afterwards my Dad was different, very quiet, it was then I found out about 1971, my dad had been there as a 17 year old, he knew Margaret Ferguson, and the McLeay brothers had been on our bus, he'd never spoken about it but my Gran told me of how they'd heard the news and waited with other parents and wives on the bus getting back, to their relief my Dad was ok, a while later he told me that they'd stayed to the very end and as they made their way up towards the top of the terracing, they couldn't get near the top of the stairway so made their way to the stairs that came down onto Edmiston Drive and left that way, oblivious to what had happened until they got back to the bus on Brand Street where there was talk of an accident, they waited a while then left.

Hillsborough brought it all back for him, no doubt many others too, as has been said many times no one should go to the football and never return.

Yep, and I'm sure I was caught up in a crush that day in the Celtic end.

Was that the game that finished 0-0 then we won the replay 4-0 on the Wednesday (also at the piggery)?
There was a crush, I remember being in the old jungle and we could see fans coming over the wall opposite where the old celtic end met the main stand, there were folk sitting on the running track watching the game.

I started going to football matches without my parents at that time and there was always an element of knowing an incident like that could have happened at any number of grounds in the UK.

Through our own experience, Ibrox was mostly all-seater already and our support aware enough of the risks.
I remember being nervous at times leaving Parkhead or Hampden as you still felt pushed along in the crowd at times and not in total control of your direction, especially as a lanky teenager.
In the enclosure this was also a very regular occurrence.
Because of how "modern" and enclosed that part of Ibrox was it was one "of the worst" in terms of me getting from the top of the terrace down the stairs without my 8-12 year old feet touching the ground.

*There is a disclaimer there as sliding through piss and muck to get in and out of the piggery or places like the sheep pen, Brockville and more than a few others made the match day experience some way below that of Ibrox, but the point remains.

My mate Gordon died at the game. I was down in Liverpool staying at his. He went to the game and I went with a few othermates to Southport for the day. We heard about it on the train back to Liverpool. Tragic.
I was at Dundee against St Mirren that day and they made and announcement but didn’t really have all the details, nor the severity. Always followed Rangers and Liverpool but ironically my old man wouldn’t take me to see them because of large crowds.

Probably why wouldn’t they though?,Chelsea fans sing it as do most rival fans in England. He was at Liverpool at the time not rangers.

Most fans sing about Gerrard giving the ball to Ba? A Chelsea player?
Or "gifting" City the league?

That all sounds a bit sad to me.

Personally, as a Bear, I doubt I'd sing about our manager fucking up.
My point was tongue in cheek and possibly a bit childish.
That response is just daft!

Most fans sing about Gerrard giving the ball to Ba? A Chelsea player?
Or "gifting" City the league?

That all sounds a bit sad to me.

Personally, as a Bear, I doubt I'd sing about our manager fucking up.
My point was tongue in cheek and possibly a bit childish.
That response is just daft!

Talking of daft our manager never gave the ball to ba he slipped. I wouldn’t sing about it either my point was boys probably do and will have yesterday when supporting Chelsea knowing that it gets right up the scousers noses.

Yep, and I'm sure I was caught up in a crush that day in the Celtic end.

Was that the game that finished 0-0 then we won the replay 4-0 on the Wednesday (also at the piggery)?

Yeah , it sure was ... I was in the rangers end , never knew of any crush ... that place was a death trap at the best of times. Shithole

Talking of daft our manager never gave the ball to ba he slipped. I wouldn’t sing about it either my point was boys probably do and will have yesterday when supporting Chelsea knowing that it gets right up the scousers noses.
The gaffer in the previous game at anfield when the Scousers done the huddleo_O at the end told them they where not going to let the title slip.
It was the major headline on sky and the papers the next day so obviously when he slips and demba ba scores that's why opposition fans and in particular Chelsea fans sing it.
It's a piss take and nothing more than that,he gets far worse sang about him in Scotland ffs.

Yeah , it sure was ... I was in the rangers end , never knew of any crush ... that place was a death trap at the best of times. Shithole
I remember being at the St Johnstone and at half time going to the toilet,I was in the Rangers end and this guy behind me was pushing me as I walked up the stairs.I turned round and asked him to stop pushing me and he told me it was because I was walking too slow!!!.I informed him angrily that i could only go as fast as the folk in front of me.
When i finally got to the top of the stairs i heard a guy saying someone has died at Hillsborough.
I went out with friends later and the death toll rose throughout the night.....it was horrific.
It goes without saying I'll never forget that day for as long as I live.
My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

??not sure if your joking here mate.
that was the guys nickname,its what he was known as by everyone in the derry club and all his mates and family edit,, i should add if this is the same gordon we are speaking of, his big pal arthur also died that terrible day if its the same guy that myself and the poster are talking about

Last edited:

• that was the guys nickname,its what he was known as by everyone in the derry club and all his mates and family edit,, i should add if this is the same gordon we are speaking of, his big pal arthur also died that terrible day if its the same guy that myself and the poster are talking about
    If that's the case then I stand corrected mate and you knew the person mentioned,I've misunderstood your post and it wasn't a joke in very poor taste.

• If that's the case then I stand corrected mate and you knew the person mentioned,I've misunderstood your post and it wasn't a joke in very poor taste.
no bother mate and no offence taken, i should have probably been a lot more clearer,rather than just putting the nickname of the fella i percieve to be the posters mate ,

One of the most cringeworthy posts ever on this forum,totally inappropriate under the circumstances!.[/ Ku
that was the guys nickname,its what he was known as by everyone in the derry club and all his mates and family edit,, i should add if this is the same gordon we are speaking of, his big pal arthur also died that terrible day if its the same guy that myself and the poster are talking about
i take my post back mate and sorry

Remember hearing about it during our game against St Johnstone

Only when got home did the scale of it hit home

See when people jump in not knowing people actually know the lad.. get a grip lads

I can remember everything about that day .travelling to parkhead not long out of hospital with a very large stroke on my leg after knee ligament OP... got the bus from town.. got off at bridgeton hobbled to celtic park.. in crutches. It was a stunning day..
Got into the dump n ended up at the corner were there was overcrowding as only around 5ft I was in a panick.. tbh I was crying got calmed down by a older fan who helped me get on to the pitch side..
Knew nothing of what was happening at Hillsborough until about 20 mins after the game walking up London rd n guys had there wee trannies on..
Got into the city centre and then it hit me
When I saw images on TVs in currys etc

See when people jump in not knowing people actually know the lad.. get a grip lads
Genuine mistake on my part mate,even yosser has said he could have expanded rather than just putting the guys nickname up.
But yes your right mate,we can jump in to quickly or misinterpret easily on FF.

Like many, I was in the Rangers end at the piggery 30 years ago today and clearly remember looking over to where the stand joined the "home" end and worrying that our fans were in danger that day. If capacity was 60,000, then there was 65,000 to 70,000 in for our game I reckon.

I was in Belfast for a football tournament and saw it on the news in the hotel (Europa, bang bang). Didnt really realise the extent of what had happened until days later. Sad day for football.

Back