The Scottish Amateur Cup 2018/2019

No sure about that mate. First thing i chinned my mate for when he signed for colville and he guarantees me they aren’t being paid. Wouldn’t lie about it to us. Would just say if that was the case. They got taken to an all expenses paid trip to Belfast as Christmas so there’s obvious perks

They do get paid in various ways mate. I know of two players who left for other clubs as they were being paid more only to swiftly return to Colville once they offered more again.

It's actually embarrassing that the same selection of teams' committees do this then parade around like they are anazing! It's against the rules and wastes it for any teams tryin to build teams the right way! For the players games like tonight are great and fair enough but the guys who opt to pay these guys surely can't take any pride in it.

Must be good for the players winning an amateur tournament knowing they're getting paid. Basically cheating.

It’s not basically cheating, it is cheating! You are correct though, wonder if it feels weird when they really think about it, but with the money these guys get offered you can’t blame the players. If offered it I’m sure it’s hard to turn down with families etc to look after.

Boys pay weekly money to play with real amateur teams and they’re playing against guys who are getting weighed in. Not just small amounts either, paying an absolute fortune to senior players to go amateur in some cases.

Number of teams/leagues in Ayrshire has plummeted and imo Hurlford are one of the main reasons for that in recent years.

No sure about that mate. First thing i chinned my mate for when he signed for colville and he guarantees me they aren’t being paid. Wouldn’t lie about it to us. Would just say if that was the case. They got taken to an all expenses paid trip to Belfast as Christmas so there’s obvious perks

Look at their team though. Some guys are ex pro, a lot ex junior. Some guys have no ties to Motherwell yet they travel up to an hour to play with them? Only reason they'd do that is money.

I think quite a few of them play for the same Sunday league team as well who've also been quite successful?

It’s not basically cheating, it is cheating! You are correct though, wonder if it feels weird when they really think about it, but with the money these guys get offered you can’t blame the players. If offered it I’m sure it’s hard to turn down with families etc to look after.

Boys pay weekly money to play with real amateur teams and they’re playing against guys who are getting weighed in. Not just small amounts either, paying an absolute fortune to senior players to go amateur in some cases.

Number of teams/leagues in Ayrshire has plummeted and imo Hurlford are one of the main reasons for that in recent years.

Completely ruined the top division in Ayrshire as a competitive league for years.

Look at their team though. Some guys are ex pro, a lot ex junior. Some guys have no ties to Motherwell yet they travel up to an hour to play with them? Only reason they'd do that is money.

I think quite a few of them play for the same Sunday league team as well who've also been quite successful?

They all deny it.

Part of the pact.

@sregnar played for a team in aberdeen who paid big bucks. They romped it for a few years with ex highland league players.

Only get boot money, honest... :)

Completely ruined the top division in Ayrshire as a competitive league for years.

100% and they’re not even embarrassed by it either. Classless.

Other reasons for it as well, not just because players won’t play in same league as cheats. Players that other clubs used to be able to attract with the possibility of challenging for trophies at amateur, rather than being in bottom junior leagues, now don’t bother with amateur. What’s the point?

It’s a real kick in the teeth to every amateur club that the league take sponsorship from the Thistle bar and hold meetings etc in there as well.

Omerta.

Colville and their management are at it.

Finished 6-1 very 1 sided game. Colvilles pass the ball well

A couple of seasons ago I watched them in a friendly match against Blantyre Vics (juniors) in the coldest night of the year (felt that way anyway).

Thought Colville moved the ball really well but Blantyre still won 1-0 or 2-1 I think. You can tell they were well drilled in keeping possession but a fairly average junior side still beat them no bother.

Colville draw players for the name and chance of winning the Scottish cup, they don’t pay players , they aren’t even part of the country club anymore which “funded them” apparently , they play out dalziel park , an average junior outfit would not beat them , even lower super prem teams would struggle
Anyone bitching about them paying is just jealous they’re team isn’t as good

Colville draw players for the name and chance of winning the Scottish cup, they don’t pay players , they aren’t even part of the country club anymore which “funded them” apparently , they play out dalziel park , an average junior outfit would not beat them , even lower super prem teams would struggle

I have some magic beans for sale mate, a bargain at £2million.

Colville beat Cumbernauld United 7-0 or 7-1 in pre-season.

We beat EK Thistle 3-0.

Top amateur sides will always do well against the middling junior clubs.

Colville beat Cumbernauld United 7-0 or 7-1 in pre-season.

We beat EK Thistle 3-0.

Top amateur sides will always do well against the middling junior clubs.

Ek thistle were just about the exact same ek ams side that were in colvilles league

I've been in the amateur game for 15 years now and in my opinion there is one simple way to overcome the "paid amateur" debate - implement a genuine pyramid system in Scotland. In England it is possible to start a brand new team and within 9 or 10 years be in the Premiership. Bring in that structural change up here and the teams that pay (and it does happen, either by wages, new boots, "expenses", jobs, drugs, whatever) will eventually find their level.

It would take buy in from the juniors but we're already starting to see a number of junior sides make the switch to the senior structure. I reckon that in 5-10 years it will pretty much be in place for Saturday afternoon football and all our game across the board will be all the better for it.

It will allow the senior teams to identify players like Andy Robertson or Jamie Vardy more easily from the lower leagues and lead to an increase in quality as you go up the leagues. We all know players playing at amateur or even junior that should be playing at a higher level.

The only inhibitor for me is that we still have quite a few dinosaurs running the top junior and amateur leagues who will not want to become a small fish in a big pond!

Absolute tosh.

If you honestly believe lower super prem teams would struggle you've obviously not seen a lot of junior football.

I've been in the amateur game for 15 years now and in my opinion there is one simple way to overcome the "paid amateur" debate - implement a genuine pyramid system in Scotland. In England it is possible to start a brand new team and within 9 or 10 years be in the Premiership. Bring in that structural change up here and the teams that pay (and it does happen, either by wages, new boots, "expenses", jobs, drugs, whatever) will eventually find their level.

It would take buy in from the juniors but we're already starting to see a number of junior sides make the switch to the senior structure. I reckon that in 5-10 years it will pretty much be in place for Saturday afternoon football and all our game across the board will be all the better for it.

It will allow the senior teams to identify players like Andy Robertson or Jamie Vardy more easily from the lower leagues and lead to an increase in quality as you go up the leagues. We all know players playing at amateur or even junior that should be playing at a higher level.

The only inhibitor for me is that we still have quite a few dinosaurs running the top junior and amateur leagues who will not want to become a small fish in a big pond!

That's a good point. Apparently half of Livingston's starting 11 last week or the week before was made up of players who'd been with them since the lower divisions. It obviously shows that there are players in the lower leagues that could cut it at the top level given the chance.

They play their games their but they now come from the Electric Bar in Motherwell

They sort them out with stuff and Colville go back there and things for grub and a few drinks

They, and many other teams now, do pay players mate. That's a fact as I know of a few players who have been paid and one who was even given a job with his Saturday football put through as overtime!

Controversial....

Nothing controversial about it.

I even had a full blown argument with officials from the SAFA at the final in 2014 between the two of them who were tut tutting about both making the final.

They knew what was going on and were showing a faux disdain for it all.

And I DO know it happens , especially at Thistle.

Getting paid in drugs ?? FFS, teams do this ?

Absolute tosh.

If you honestly believe lower super prem teams would struggle you've obviously not seen a lot of junior football.

I guess we are about to find out as Colville are stepping up to Darvel and taking 9 players up the the juniors with them.

I know a few guys who play with Colville and they play junior teams pretty often and they win the vast majority of these games. I know friendlies are different but beating teams 6 and 7 nil etc isn't due to ''juniors giving guys a run out who don't normally play''. 6 and 7s are two teams operating at different levels.

On a good surface Colville would compete with most junior teams. They might struggle a bit in the heavy, sh*te parks they'll get dragged to a lot of the time at junior lower league though.

Getting paid in drugs ?? FFS, teams do this ?

I'm afraid so, I'm not keen to name names but I was told of one team who sorts out their star player with a wrap for his Saturday night after the game.

Could be a case of Chinese whispers but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me.

I guess we are about to find out as Colville are stepping up to Darvel and taking 9 players up the the juniors with them.

I know a few guys who play with Colville and they play junior teams pretty often and they win the vast majority of these games. I know friendlies are different but beating teams 6 and 7 nil etc isn't due to ''juniors giving guys a run out who don't normally play''. 6 and 7s are two teams operating at different levels.

On a good surface Colville would compete with most junior teams. They might struggle a bit in the heavy, sh*te parks they'll get dragged to a lot of the time at junior lower league though.

The league Darvel are in isn't great. Some pretty good teams and some pretty poor ones. As you say though, friendlies don't mean much.

Considering the money some of the Colville players must be on I'm not surprised they would compete with some junior sides, but certainly not the super prem teams.

Semi Final number 2 this evening.

Alba Thistle v Eastfield
New Douglas Park, kick off 19:30.

Good luck to all involved.

Absolute tosh.

You trying to tell me colville wouldn’t beat a cambuslang Rangers , petershill , Renfrew , rob roy? Ad back colville over all 4 a them!

You trying to tell me colville wouldn’t beat a cambuslang Rangers , petershill , Renfrew , rob roy? Ad back colville over all 4 a them!

That's exactly what I'm saying. They might beat the current Cambuslang team as I've no idea what they're like now that the money dried up and half their squad left.

Really poor performance from us tonight, credit to Alba who were better than I thought they would be, absolutely fucking buzzing to be in the final

I take it you play for Eastfield? I thought Alba probably deserved a draw on balanace/possession but the chances you missed were incredible. You started really well, got the goal then allowed Alba to impose themselves.

Thought your ball players were off it a bit tonight but it’s job done and congratulations, you’re going to Hampden.

I take it you play for Eastfield? I thought Alba probably deserved a draw on balanace/possession but the chances you missed were incredible. You started really well, got the goal then allowed Alba to impose themselves.

Thought your ball players were off it a bit tonight but it’s job done and congratulations, you’re going to Hampden.

Yeah play in goals mate. Felt like we were camped in our own half most of the 2nd half but the defence done their job. You’re right about the chances, happens every game for us - need 3 or 4 good chances to score 1.

But we’re in the final and that’s all that matters, can’t wait.

Yeah play in goals mate. Felt like we were camped in our own half most of the 2nd half but the defence done their job. You’re right about the chances, happens every game for us - need 3 or 4 good chances to score 1.

But we’re in the final and that’s all that matters, can’t wait.

You had a couple of very good saves tonight mate. Final will be tough, I tipped Eastfield early on but Colville Park have really gone through the gears. Should be a cracking final.

That's exactly what I'm saying. They might beat the current Cambuslang team as I've no idea what they're like now that the money dried up and half their squad left.
You said it was tosh and a didn’t know much about junior football coz I said lower super prem teams would struggle against colville and now youv just agreed? Do yourself a favour and and your words

Stop talking absolute tosh

The Colville management team wearing matching kit down to same trainers as each other is hilarious. Nothing wrong with trying to look the part and looking after players at amateur level, but when you know what they get up to there’s being well run and then there’s things like that rubbing it in other team’s faces.

Regardless of what scoreline/ability level is between Colville and Darvel juniors, I think it’s poor to go into Darvel and tell all their current players they can find a new club for next season. Plenty of games left that those guys need to go out and play knowing that and also there’s some good players that won’t be given a chance to impress.

The Colville management team wearing matching kit down to same trainers as each other is hilarious. Nothing wrong with trying to look the part and looking after players at amateur level, but when you know what they get up to there’s being well run and then there’s things like that rubbing it in other team’s faces.

Regardless of what scoreline/ability level is between Colville and Darvel juniors, I think it’s poor to go into Darvel and tell all their current players they can find a new club for next season. Plenty of games left that those guys need to go out and play knowing that and also there’s some good players that won’t be given a chance to impress.

There is nothing ‘hilarious’ about that. I’ve had a conversation with some of the management at CP about the kit thing and they say it was bought from the money the club earned from a run in the senior Scottish Cup (just shy of £20k). Whether that is true is open to discussion but it’s most certainly plausible and in the absence of genuine evidence to the contrary then we just have to suck it up.

It’s all very well pointing the finger at teams allegedly paying players - and there’s a lot more than just Colville Park rumoured - but until someone steps up with facts then it’s irrelevant noise.

You said it was tosh and a didn’t know much about junior football coz I said lower super prem teams would struggle against colville and now youv just agreed? Do yourself a favour and and your words

Stop talking absolute tosh

You named a handful of teams they'd beat which is just nonsense. I said they could possibly beat Cambuslang since I know they lost the majority of their players a couple of months ago.

Don't really know why anyone would deny that players get paid in the amateurs. It's a well known fact.

Same way in the juniors some players officially get paid about a tenner, yet they walk away with a brown envelope with well over £100 in it.

There is nothing ‘hilarious’ about that. I’ve had a conversation with some of the management at CP about the kit thing and they say it was bought from the money the club earned from a run in the senior Scottish Cup (just shy of £20k). Whether that is true is open to discussion but it’s most certainly plausible and in the absence of genuine evidence to the contrary then we just have to suck it up.

It’s all very well pointing the finger at teams allegedly paying players - and there’s a lot more than just Colville Park rumoured - but until someone steps up with facts then it’s irrelevant noise.
Its very hard to prove when the payments don’t come directly from club accounts and players keep reasonably quiet

I know players personally who are paid to pay amateur.

I know players personally who are paid to pay amateur.

Me too! And at clubs who aren't even at the top level in amateur. It's frightening.

Colville are 100% paying players in some shape or form. It might not be in cash or a brown envelope every week, but there's no way you are pulling guys like Darren Miller from Clyde all the way down to amateur football ''just to play with his mates''. He could pick up 100 quid a week in junior football no problem.

The same as guys traveling from places like Stirling, Drumchapel and Greenock three times a week, paying travelling expenses and also a tenner a week club dues. People are deluded if they think they are doing that for nothing or just to try and win a Scottish. All the pals could go and play for their local teams and try and win medals that way.

How do you get proof when there's no paper trail? Common sense and word of mouth is all you're going to get.

When the guys involved at Colville just now were involved with my local amateur team (not hard to work out who) there was money going about then as well. Guys getting offered 800 quid signing on fees etc.

Me too! And at clubs who aren't even at the top level in amateur. It's frightening.

Colville are 100% paying players in some shape or form. It might not be in cash or a brown envelope every week, but there's no way you are pulling guys like Darren Miller from Clyde all the way down to amateur football ''just to play with his mates''. He could pick up 100 quid a week in junior football no problem.

The same as guys traveling from places like Stirling, Drumchapel and Greenock three times a week, paying travelling expenses and also a tenner a week club dues. People are deluded if they think they are doing that for nothing or just to try and win a Scottish. All the pals could go and play for their local teams and try and win medals that way.

When Hurlford made it to the final in 2014 they were all told they were going to Benidorm for getting there.

When they won, it was a fully free all inclusive long weekend for them

You named a handful of teams they'd beat which is just nonsense. I said they could possibly beat Cambuslang since I know they lost the majority of their players a couple of months ago.

Don't really know why anyone would deny that players get paid in the amateurs. It's a well known fact.

Same way in the juniors some players officially get paid about a tenner, yet they walk away with a brown envelope with well over £100 in it.
Everyone of the teams I mentioned are in the super prem junior league hahaha

When Hurlford made it to the final in 2014 they were all told they were going to Benidorm for getting there.

When they won, it was a fully free all inclusive long weekend for them

Colville players were taken to Dublin all expenses paid at Xmas. Can only imagine what they'll be getting if they win the Scottish, they will be on a win bonus for that as well no doubt.

You had a couple of very good saves tonight mate. Final will be tough, I tipped Eastfield early on but Colville Park have really gone through the gears. Should be a cracking final.
Cheers, busy early doors but as the game went on had less and less to do, credit to the defence in front of me who are solid every week.

Final will be tough but really looking forward to it.

Anybody that thinks players aren’t being payed is naive in the extreme. Signing on fees, offers of jobs etc have been happening for years. I can even remember it happening in Sunday Amateur years back.
My wee mate played with the Scotland International Amateur team,I'm going back 20 years and ir was at the end of the season they were playing against Northern Ireland in Belfast.

All three were strikers,they asked him who he was signing for the follow season.......when he replied 'I'm not sure yet I've got offers from Dumbarton and Queens Park', they said 'Fvck that we've got offers from Airdrie and Albion Rovers but we couldn't afford the drop in wages that would cost us'

I think it might have been Dalziel they played for but not certain,I remember their names were McCusker and McInally.

Also remember a team from Bellsmyre starting up and half of the St Pats team left St Pats to sign for them with the promise of a job with the Council.

The Colville gaffer just posted on another forum that they'll be buying suits for all the players for the Scottish Cup Final and also paying for them to stay in a hotel the night before the game! :D Much is that going to cost for the best part of 30 bodies when you count players, management and committee?

Back