Reasoning behind our transfer targets

Flutey55

A few bears are feeling a bit disappointed with the names our club are being linked with at the moment but I think it's worth looking at the reasons behind our intention to get these players on contracts.

Hastie - a young, powerful player with a great finish. The fact he cuts inside on the right wing will open up even more space for tav to get down the byline and make overlapping runs. If you have a quick player who you know can go inside and stick it in the top bin (Hastie) or you have someone who constantly makes runs down the line who has a ridiculous amount of assists(Tav), that causes problems for the opposition fullback. It's a no brainer if the team want to buy for cheap/free and sell later on.

Souttar - a player who knows the league and what's required to keep clean sheets. During the period hearts were flying, it was down to the defence being solid and he was a main part of that. I'd imagine the first thing you learn under levein would be how to prevent a goal. He's shown he can do that. On the flipside he can certainly zing a ball. Something that doesn't fill me with a lot of joy is watching our current centre half pairing of goldson and worrall passing more than 10/15 yards. Another player who is young but if bought cheap enough could be developed and sold further down the line for a hefty profit.

Stewart - I understand people's concerns about his age and the fact he has struggled to show his best form at both Aberdeen and Birmingham. For me he will be a second choice number 10 for next season. Second choice at our club this season has still managed to play a lot of games due to our European run. Again a player we could sign on a free, he would bring something to the club that we currently don't possess. A bit of magic that we scream out for during games where we are struggling to break down teams that sit in. We should not be disappointed to get a player on a free that knows the league and has shown he is capable of special things (albeit at Kilmarnock).

Are they good enough to challenge for the title. Looks like wages spunked on average players to me.

There are squad players going to be going out the door in the summer.

They need replaced as well. Getting their replacement on frees allows us to spend the real money on genuine starters for us.

Greg Stewart will give us more VFM than Grezda will IMO. So would Hastie.

Souttar at £2m or Worrall at considerably more ? I know who I'd be buying.

I do think we have plan now when it comes to our signing strategy and while we appear to be overloaded in certain positions, there's going to be a reasonable amount of movement this summer given the loans we have in place (in both directions).

I think Souttar is a no-brainer, would be a great signing.

Hastie is a great prospect although I'd maybe prefer he goes back on loan to Motherwell for a season.

We do need players like Stewart over the course of a season. Every successful Gers squad has had players from other Scottish clubs at its core and let's face it, the reason we're in second place is because we can't beat teams like the sheep. On a free, he makes sense to sign.

So long as we can add a few players of real quality, I'm optimistic about next season.

Wait until Souttar tries to zing a a few passes at Ibrox and doesn't pull it off, the reactions from the stands will see him reduced to 10/15 yard passes from there on in.
I said to a few of the mates last night about Ajax and the wonderful young team they have developed, we have youth teams who are doing fantastic but always seem to fall short, the fact we have a very impatient home support doesn't help matters.

This time of year is always a good laugh.

We make or are linked with a couple of early Bosman signings or SPL guys who'll likely end up being good squad fillers, and folk go into full blown tampon-launching mode as if they're the only signings we're going to make in the entire transfer window, which isn't even fucking open yet.

I would be utterly astonished if Hearts sell us Soutter. They will want double what he’s worth considering how bitter a muppet fan base they have. Guaranteed they will price us out of moving for him.

(Stewart) why not give Middleton and Hardie that place in the squad next season and use those wages on better quality? Stewart will be Lafferty Mark 2 and will start half a dozen games at most next season.

(Hastie) Probably around 18 months minimum before you would see him become a regular in the side.

Just seems to me like lazy scouting why have a DOF on a big wage to identify these types of players?

I would be utterly astonished if Hearts sell us Soutter. They will want double what he’s worth considering how bitter a muppet fan base they have. Guaranteed they will price us out of moving for him.

(Stewart) why not give Middleton and Hardie that place in the squad next season and use those wages on better quality? Stewart will be Lafferty Mark 2 and will start half a dozen games at most next season.

(Hastie) Probably around 18 months minimum before you would see him become a regular in the side.

Just seems to me like lazy scouting why have a DOF on a big wage to identify these types of players?

Because these players aren’t the only guys our scouting team have identified, it’s April.

Relax.

This time of year is always a good laugh.

We make or are linked with a couple of early Bosman signings or SPL guys who'll likely end up being good squad fillers, and folk go into full blown tampon-launching mode as if they're the only signings we're going to make in the entire transfer window, which isn't even fucking open yet.

Haha indeed.

We also had that lunatic Captain Couragous on another thread comparing our directors/management with those at Man U.

This place is a cesspit of attention seeking weirdos like him 24/7.

Feel as if we're just adding numbers to the squad for the sake of it tbh.

Because these players aren’t the only guys our scouting team have identified, it’s April.

Relax.

Yes I’ve made the point in another thread that it’s very early in the year and money will be spent but it’s somewhat late in the Bosman/free signings market which is where clubs without vast resources like ourselves should be operating for a large part of our summer signings.

Have we scoured over potential free signings from all over Europe to decide that Hastie and Stewart are the best we can come up with?

Quality/decent level free transfers are snapped up in January/February for the most part.

Our scouting in that department is badly lacking.

I'll be amazed if Middleton isn't away on loan for a season somewhere.

It'll do the boy the world of good.

Relax.
What does it matter that it’s April?

Just because it’s April means it’s good business signing bang average players like Greg Stewart?

Last edited:
Reactions: MSF
I think ,and hope, we will see the main money spent on quality players later ,when the window opens. It makes sense to get the better Scottish based players on Bosmans or low fees, Kamara , when we can then spend money on Quality . I am hoping for 4 Quality first team players before the start of the season.

I would be underwhelmed with these signings, especially Stewart as I don’t even think he is good enough to be a squad player.

For me the 3 names mentioned aren’t better than what we have got.

If you offered me Katic worral goldson soutter

Soutter would be my 4th choice centre half.

And Stewart and hastie are no where near as good as what we’ve got!

All three signings will enhance and bring somethingdifferent to our squad.
Hastie - fast,powerful,direct with a powerful shot.
Stewart- excellent close control,creative with am eye for goal.
Souttar - arguably a better footballing centre half than we currently have.
The Souttar one will more than likely be this seasons Hearts transfer saga. They are a nightmare to deal with.
We may well see a few of the current squad leaving, as we will have a surplus of wingers in particular. Candieas and Grezda most likely imho.

What does it matter that it’s April?

Just because it’s April means it’s good business signing bang average players like Greg Stewart?
Do you think it’d be wise to only sign one player in an area that we’ve identified as a massive weakness?

Stewart is a very good player at this level.

Do you think it’d be wise to only sign one player in an area that we’ve identified as a massive weakness?

Stewart is a very good player at this level.
Not saying we should only sign one player.

Difference from being good at “this level” with Kilmarnock/Aberdeen is different to what’s required week in week out for us.

Souttar would become our 2nd choice & bring something extra due to his ability on the ball. Something we desperately need at centre back. However I have my doubts regarding the price. I wouldn’t be paying much more than 1.5-2m when you consider his injurys & lack of pace/athleticism.

Hastie has good potential, however he is on the same level as Middleton as shouldn’t really be near our first team on a consistent basis.

Stewart & Jones are awful signings. No matter the wage, the fee, the month we’re signing them. None of that matters. Their ability and mentality does, and they don’t cut it.

Wait until Souttar tries to zing a a few passes at Ibrox and doesn't pull it off, the reactions from the stands will see him reduced to 10/15 yard passes from there on in.
I said to a few of the mates last night about Ajax and the wonderful young team they have developed, we have youth teams who are doing fantastic but always seem to fall short, the fact we have a very impatient home support doesn't help matters.

These fantastic young Ajax players, wouldn't last a season in Scottish football, the hammer throwers would make sure of that.You better believe it.

For me the 3 names mentioned aren’t better than what we have got.

If you offered me Katic worral goldson soutter

Soutter would be my 4th choice centre half.

And Stewart and hastie are no where near as good as what we’ve got!

What? Souttar is a far better player than Worrall, the guys a bombscare, especially when he's got too much time to think when he's on the ball.
Nottingham Forrest is his level End of story.!!

Not saying we should only sign one player.

Difference from being good at “this level” with Kilmarnock/Aberdeen is different to what’s required week in week out for us.
Then surely you understand why signing Stewart makes sense? He’s a proven player at this level in an area we desperately need to strengthen.

I highly doubt he’s going to be considered first choice there.

These fantastic young Ajax players, wouldn't last a season in Scottish football, the hammer throwers would make sure of that.You better believe it.
They would last the season and they would comfortably win the league imo.
Juve couldn't get near them last night and like a typical Italian side are cynical as fcuk.
The Dutch league has struggled in recent times but any time I watch it they impress me, every team seems to play football on the deck and what I would call properly.

All three signings will enhance and bring somethingdifferent to our squad.
Hastie - fast,powerful,direct with a powerful shot.
Stewart- excellent close control,creative with am eye for goal.
Souttar - arguably a better footballing centre half than we currently have.
The Souttar one will more than likely be this seasons Hearts transfer saga. They are a nightmare to deal with.
We may well see a few of the current squad leaving, as we will have a surplus of wingers in particular. Candieas and Grezda most likely imho.

Big Laff.will probably be brokered into a deal back to Hearts, to seal the Souttar transfer, as i think S.G. knows it isn't working out for him at Ibrox.omo.

We've always bought the 'best' players from other Scottish clubs, this is no different.

First of all in Scotland you need to win the battle, and having players who know what Scottish football about is key to that.

Then you chuck in a few real quality signings and you have the making of a good team.

Let's get behind these lads.

Souttar would become our 2nd choice & bring something extra due to his ability on the ball. Something we desperately need at centre back. However I have my doubts regarding the price. I wouldn’t be paying much more than 1.5-2m when you consider his injurys & lack of pace/athleticism.

Hastie has good potential, however he is on the same level as Middleton as shouldn’t really be near our first team on a consistent basis.

Stewart & Jones are awful signings. No matter the wage, the fee, the month we’re signing them. None of that matters. Their ability and mentality does, and they don’t cut it.

Hastie has something like 6 goals in his first 9 appearances. That's more (or on a similar level) than Kent, Candeias, Middleton and Grezda have for the full season!

Now, it might be a purple patch but if it turns out not to be, and he continues to score at a similar rate going into next season then he will end up being out of our reach. We are taking a gamble but it's for a small outlay, what's the worst that can happen? He fizzles out and doesn't make it with us for a minimal outlay? It's worth the gamble.

Hastie has something like 6 goals in his first 9 appearances. That's more (or on a similar level) than Kent, Candeias, Middleton and Grezda have for the full season!

Now, it might be a purple patch but if it turns out not to be, and he continues to score at a similar rate going into next season then he will end up being out of our reach. We are taking a gamble but it's for a small outlay, what's the worst that can happen? He fizzles out and doesn't make it with us for a minimal outlay? It's worth the gamble.
It is a purple patch, similar to Middleton when he first broke through. They were unknown, took defenders by suprise but ended up being dealt with. Middleton has took a spell in the reserves and I’m sure he will come back stronger. I’m fine with Hastie being signed as a development signing.

I went through our squad there & we’re going to have 36 players including Stewart & Hastie. Thats is ridiculous, and bordering on negligence considering our finances.

There is a massive job to be done this summer to cut down those numbers (not replace, cut down). Signing more average players is not great news.

Big Laff.will probably be brokered into a deal back to Hearts, to seal the Souttar transfer, as i think S.G. knows it isn't working out for him at Ibrox.omo.
Thats a possibility I agree with. However dealing with Hearts is a bloody nightmare.

What? Souttar is a far better player than Worrall, the guys a bombscare, especially when he's got too much time to think when he's on the ball.
Nottingham Forrest is his level End of story.!!
Don’t talk nonsense. Big worral does a job.

People need to chill out a bit, we have a tendancy to knee jerk on transfer rumours, not a new thing its been happening for the last 20 years, some of the meltdowns due to Media rumours have been mental over the years.

I will be dissapointed if Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Souttar are bought as starters, but they won't be , we will spend on 4 big players IMO who will be starters and much above the quality of the 4 mentioned.

I expect alot to leave in the summer also

People forget how much loan players cost us when comparing to spending a couple of million.

Wasn't it said that Worrall's loan fee was about 500k? That's before accounting for his wages which would be triple Souttar's so probably another 500k odd.

To be honest these names neither excite me or get me upset. They will be squad players who are decent and know the league. If these were our main targets to try and win the title then it would be worrying but they aren't.
The time to get upset or excited is when we start to get to the bigger first team starters and see how we are likely to line up

It is a purple patch, similar to Middleton when he first broke through. They were unknown, took defenders by suprise but ended up being dealt with. Middleton has took a spell in the reserves and I’m sure he will come back stronger. I’m fine with Hastie being signed as a development signing.

I went through our squad there & we’re going to have 36 players including Stewart & Hastie. Thats is ridiculous, and bordering on negligence considering our finances.

There is a massive job to be done this summer to cut down those numbers (not replace, cut down). Signing more average players is not great news.

Who are the 36 you're counting mate, just out of interest?

People forget how much loan players cost us when comparing to spending a couple of million.

Wasn't it said that Worrall's loan fee was about 500k? That's before accounting for his wages which would be triple Souttar's so probably another 500k odd.

All depends how loans are structured but they can be expensive, I had heard the Roberts 2 year loan deal for Celtic amounted to near on £6m for them over the course of the 2 years.

Pretty Certain your close to the figures re Worrall.

Alot of people don't take into account loans as they are easily forgotten about in terms of net spend, especially when the asset is never actually yours.

Then surely you understand why signing Stewart makes sense? He’s a proven player at this level in an area we desperately need to strengthen.

I highly doubt he’s going to be considered first choice there.
No I don’t see why it makes sense as he’s not that good

Who are the 36 you're counting mate, just out of interest?
McGregor, Foderingham, Alnwick, Firth

Tavernier, Polster, Hodson
Goldson, Katic
Barisic, Flanagan, Halliday

Jack, Arfield, Kamara, Davis, Rossiter, Dorrans, McCrorie, Holt, Doherty

Candeias, Grezda, Stewart, Hastie
Murphy, Jones, Middleton

Morelos, Defoe, Lafferty, Herrera, Dodoo, Hardie

Its actually 34, had originally included Wallace & McAuley.

A few bears are feeling a bit disappointed with the names our club are being linked with at the moment but I think it's worth looking at the reasons behind our intention to get these players on contracts.

Hastie - a young, powerful player with a great finish. The fact he cuts inside on the right wing will open up even more space for tav to get down the byline and make overlapping runs. If you have a quick player who you know can go inside and stick it in the top bin (Hastie) or you have someone who constantly makes runs down the line who has a ridiculous amount of assists(Tav), that causes problems for the opposition fullback. It's a no brainer if the team want to buy for cheap/free and sell later on.

Souttar - a player who knows the league and what's required to keep clean sheets. During the period hearts were flying, it was down to the defence being solid and he was a main part of that. I'd imagine the first thing you learn under levein would be how to prevent a goal. He's shown he can do that. On the flipside he can certainly zing a ball. Something that doesn't fill me with a lot of joy is watching our current centre half pairing of goldson and worrall passing more than 10/15 yards. Another player who is young but if bought cheap enough could be developed and sold further down the line for a hefty profit.

Stewart - I understand people's concerns about his age and the fact he has struggled to show his best form at both Aberdeen and Birmingham. For me he will be a second choice number 10 for next season. Second choice at our club this season has still managed to play a lot of games due to our European run. Again a player we could sign on a free, he would bring something to the club that we currently don't possess. A bit of magic that we scream out for during games where we are struggling to break down teams that sit in. We should not be disappointed to get a player on a free that knows the league and has shown he is capable of special things (albeit at Kilmarnock).
Excellent turd polishing, Sir.

Cap doffed.

36 Players, with several to leave, several to be in and out to gain experience, in reality we will have a core squad of 22 players or roundabout that number.

Just now our squad looks like the below

1GKAllan McGregor
2DFJames Tavernier (captain)
3DFJoe Worrall (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
4MFGraham Dorrans
5DFLee Wallace
6DFConnor Goldson (vice-captain)
7FWJamie Murphy
8MFRyan Jack
9FWJermain Defoe (on loan from Bournemouth)
10MFSteven Davis (on loan from Southampton)
11FWKyle Lafferty
13GKWes Foderingham
14MFRyan Kent (on loan from Liverpool)
15DFJon Flanagan

16MFAndy Halliday
17MFRoss McCrorie
18MFGlen Kamara
19DFNikola Katić
20FWAlfredo Morelos
21MFDaniel Candeias
23MFLassana Coulibaly (on loan from Angers)
25MFMatt Polster
31DFBorna Barišić
32GKAndy Firth
35MFEros Grezda
36DFGareth McAuley
37MFScott Arfield
40MFGlenn Middleton

The likes of McAuley, Polster, Coulibaly, Kent, Foderingham, Morelos, Lafferty, Wallace, Worrall will likely not be here/.

Firth, Middleton, Hastie will be for the future with the odd appearance

That is you down to a 15 man first team squad in essence add Docherty its 16.

So we need to be strengthening numbers with quality and some squad players to get us up to the required numbers.

I am not even going to include the ones who are definitely leaving, Holt, Hodson, Dodoo, Hererra etc as they will not be at the club come September no matter what.

36 Players, with several to leave, several to be in and out to gain experience, in reality we will have a core squad of 22 players or roundabout that number.

Just now our squad looks like the below

1GKAllan McGregor
2DFJames Tavernier (captain)
3DFJoe Worrall (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
4MFGraham Dorrans
5DFLee Wallace
6DFConnor Goldson (vice-captain)
7FWJamie Murphy
8MFRyan Jack
9FWJermain Defoe (on loan from Bournemouth)
10MFSteven Davis (on loan from Southampton)
11FWKyle Lafferty
13GKWes Foderingham
14MFRyan Kent (on loan from Liverpool)
15DFJon Flanagan

16MFAndy Halliday
17MFRoss McCrorie
18MFGlen Kamara
19DFNikola Katić
20FWAlfredo Morelos
21MFDaniel Candeias
23MFLassana Coulibaly (on loan from Angers)
25MFMatt Polster
31DFBorna Barišić
32GKAndy Firth
35MFEros Grezda
36DFGareth McAuley
37MFScott Arfield
40MFGlenn Middleton

The likes of McAuley, Polster, Coulibaly, Kent, Foderingham, Morelos, Lafferty, Wallace, Worrall will likely not be here/.

Firth, Middleton, Hastie will be for the future with the odd appearance

That is you down to a 15 man first team squad in essence.

So we need to be strengthening numbers with quality and some squad players to get us up to the required numbers.
Its not FM mate.

Far easier said that done getting rid of the high number of average players we have on decent wages. Otherwise they would of been gone long ago.

No issue with these signings, if they make the grade, fantastic and if not loan them out to other SPL teams which in turn weakens our opposition when we play them.

What's this sense you speak? That has no place on FF, off you pop so we can all have a right good moan over nothing.

People think of title winning teams from the past, think of starting XI and maybe 2/3 guys who mightve been regular substitutes. This clouds remembrance over the abilities of squad players.

The last time we won the title we had the following players in our squad, a number of whom actually had a sizeable number of appearances.

Broadfoot
Foster
Wylde
Healy
Velicka
Beattie
McMillan
Webster
Kerkar

And probably more I've forgotten.

Back