Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

I think the game in Munich is, or at least was, on YouTube. I'd love to know where the guy MearnsUnionist knows got full coverage of the 1973 Scottish Cup Final as it wasn't on TV live and only highlights were on that night and the following day. The BBC archive I guess? I'd pay top dollar for the whole game!

John Greig should have won save of the season that day :))

Reactions: ao2
Rangers 2-0 Bayern Munich, Cup-Winners Cup SF, 19th April 1972. Sandy Jardine scores in the first minute:

24blx79.jpg
I'm in that picture - 14 years old with my Dad in the enclosure - fantastic night & memories.....

I think the game in Munich is, or at least was, on YouTube. I'd love to know where the guy MearnsUnionist knows got full coverage of the 1973 Scottish Cup Final as it wasn't on TV live and only highlights were on that night and the following day. The BBC archive I guess? I'd pay top dollar for the whole game!

Me too, but I bet it's not quite as good as we remember. These things never are.

Reactions: ao2

It was the BBC archives mate, from a family friend who used to work there.

He sorted it as a present for my dad and uncle.

It's now in Melbourne, with one of their old neighbours who's been very ill.

Me too, but I bet it's not quite as good as we remember. These things never are.

It was a great game Alex and the pace of the game stands up well compared to modern games.

The much maligned (by some on here) Peter Mcloy had a couple of great saves at 1-1 and 2-2 from Deans and Dalglish I think, but overall the better team definitely won.

Some of the tackles flying in though were something else.

Would end up a 5 a side game these days.

Cheers mate. I'd love to see the full game one day. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the guy who's been unwell.

Other than the goals I don't recall seeing anything else of that game.
It should be recorded onto file and uploaded to the Web as it's one of our most famous ever victories.

It was a great game Alex and the pace of the game stands up well compared to modern games.

The much maligned (by some on here) Peter Mcloy had a couple of great saves at 1-1 and 2-2 from Deans and Dalglish I think, but overall the better team definitely won.

Some of the tackles flying in though were something else.

Would end up a 5 a side game these days.

A good few years ago we had a poll on here about which old games you would loved to have been at or would like to now watch and this game, ie the 1973 3-2 win and the 1928 4-0 Scottish Cup final were pretty much overwhelming favourites.

A good few years ago we had a poll on here about which old games you would loved to have been at or would like to now watch and this game, ie the 1973 3-2 win and the 1928 4-0 Scottish Cup final were pretty much overwhelming favourites.

I voted for 1928.

Although the other main one in my time machine only had an attendance at the time of 4,000.
Clyde 0 Rangers 3 in January 1899.
The 18th and final game of the season, with the win meaning Rangers became the first and only team ever to go through a national top league season and win every single game.

I voted for 1928.

Although the other main one in my time machine only had an attendance at the time of 4,000.
Clyde 0 Rangers 3 in January 1899.
The 18th and final game of the season, with the win meaning Rangers became the first and only team ever to go through a national top league season and win every single game.

Wow, imagine having that game on film !!

The Old Ibrox House. Had a few beers in there in the early 80s.

Before it got knocked down it changed its name to something more modern and trendy. What was it again...?

Sorry mate. Bit before the time when I started going to Ibrox. No doubt others will be able to help, though.

gn815.png

Harold Davis with *** ********** at the Stadium 61/62. This player was 4 years at Ibrox but was unable to break into the first team, he then moved to Stirling Albion.
He later became a World Champion in another sport before becoming the sport's first ever National Coach.
Who is it?

I remember him out on the pitch after winning the world bowls championship.

When would that have been? Early 90s?

Bob Sutherland had a wee bow at Ibrox with his world indoor bowls trophy in 1983, then freed middle east hostage Tom Sutherland had an introduction to the crowd in 91 or 92.
Both were minor players with Rangers in their younger days. I was at both matches but can't remember the opposition.

3rd floor flat i lived there for 6 month. The Old Ibrox house and dancing above were some places. Used to stand on my balcony with a beer at shutting time to watch some serious pavement dancing...

My late grandpa had a wee dance band as a hobby and through the mid 70s they were the resident band at the weekends upstairs in the Ibrox House.

He told a few good stories about the place.

Sounded a lively wee pub, to say the least.

Apparently it was fairly common practice for the big plate glass windows upstairs to get put in with a flying table or chair.

Last edited by a moderator:
My late grandpa had a wee dance band as a hobby and through the mid 70s they were the resident band at the weekends upstairs in the Ibrox House.

He told a few good stories about the place.

Sounded a lively wee pub, to say the least.

Apparently it was fairly common pracrice for the big plate glass windows upstairs to get put in with a flying table or chair.

I was only 20 when i stayed there. You were used to seeing fights at that age but would be horrified now watching now as being older. it was wild. At shutting times people would be leaving one fight to get into another lol.
As per usual despite it being a regular occurrence Plod always arrived "just after the nick of time.";)

For another few weeks, John Greig is the only player in Scottish football history to have won 3 trebles.
It depresses me to think this great man will soon share that record with absolute nobodies like Lustig, Brown and Forrest.
It might happen dh1963 but until it does, no point in giving it a moment’s thought. Big John’s record will stand the test of time.

gn825.png

Team of the Season 1974-75

(4-3-3)

Jim Cruikshank (Hearts)
Sandy with Alan Hansen (Partick Th), Pat Stanton (Hibs) & Joe Wark (Motherwell)
Derek with Bobby Robinson (Dundee) & Kenny Dalglish (Dhims)
Tommy with Andy Gray (Dundee Utd) & Bobby Graham (Motherwell)

They even had a 'Referee of the Season' award.
Winner: Ian Foote

gn825.png

Team of the Season 1974-75

(4-3-3)

Jim Cruikshank (Hearts)
Sandy with Alan Hansen (Partick Th), Pat Stanton (Hibs) & Joe Wark (Motherwell)
Derek with Bobby Robinson (Dundee) & Kenny Dalglish (Dhims)
Tommy with Andy Gray (Dundee Utd) & Bobby Graham (Motherwell)

They even had a 'Referee of the Season' award.
Winner: Ian Foote

DJ in midfield, has to be the most versatile player of my lifetime. Absolute class at the back, midfield and at centre forward.
Must admit, only recognised 10 if them, forgot Robinson of Dundee.

Very young Hansen and Gray!

Back