Gerrard interested in some loans from Liverpool

stephen ferris

Gerrard admitted: “I’ve already spoken to Liverpool about a number of players but what was said will remain private.
“Liverpool hold the cards with Ryan and all their players but I told them who I’d be interested in if they were available.

Any ideas who he could be interested in?

Don’t think there’s any chance of it now, but Harry Wilson would be unbelievable. Also think it could possibly be Brewster?

How does it go when Stevie talks to Liverpool.

Hello is that Liverpool? yes. Its Steven Gerrard Rangers manager here, I was wondering if I could speak with someone regarding getting a loan of a couple of your players . or
A'right its Stevie , is Jurgen in?

Would love it to be Wilson and Grujic along with Kent but most likely will be players like Brewster, Kane and Woodburn

I think there's some merit in these clubs sending their players here. Liverpool are one of the few clubs in England that have fans who expect to win every game. Even if there's a gap in quality between the SPL and the Championship, there's still a bit of an offset in sending players here who are then experiencing the pressure and expectation of winning every week.

I think next season is a win win for Liverpool as far as loanees are concerned. They’ve had a season now to have a look at us and will hopefully consider loaning us players who might be considered as real first team prospects.

By doing so they get to see if the player has what it takes to play at a big club in front of a large crowd every week.

If they prove that they can then they know whether he’s gonna be someone they might want to keep & if not his transfer fee will have increased.

We will never progress with loans being keyplayers every season. The spl targets , the refuting of Kings nonsense for renewed season ticket sales and now this. I’m in no way confident of the way things are progressing.

We will never progress with loans being keyplayers every season. The spl targets , the refuting of Kings nonsense for renewed season ticket sales and now this. I’m in no way confident of the way things are progressing.
No one has said loans will be key players, not once. It is April, get a grip, we still have 5 months till the window ends fs

No one has said loans will be key players, not once. It is April, get a grip, we still have 5 months till the window ends fs
If you honestly think that we are going to spend decent money and the same model we had this season will not be employed you are buttoned up the back. SG today, ‘ I can’t perform miracles’. He is already calling king out. It’s more of the same .

Somewhere between Salah and Kent. Salah obviously too good, Kent not good enough.

He’s been a stand out at times but not consistent enough or probably good enough for us to win the league as the main creative outlet. We were hoping for Harry Wilson in the summer, hopefully we can get him or someone similar this season.

If you honestly think that we are going to spend decent money and the same model we had this season will not be employed you are buttoned up the back. SG today, ‘ I can’t perform miracles’. He is already calling king out. It’s more of the same .

Hard to speculate in terms of how much we'll spend, but since last summer, there has been the unexpected bonus of Euro money, substantial increase in value of a number of players, and Ryan Kent showing that players can come to Rangers on loan, improve and themselves go up in value.

Pedro Caixinha had 1 window and a net spend of around £6m on players.

Gerrard has far more trust from the board, and could generate a few million from selling squad players alone - I think that's his plan - generating money for squad players and replacing those squad players with better quality bosmans (Jones, Stewart, and there'll be more + loans).

If we can keep all first XI players from this season, I think a net spend of £6m-£10m (less than what we earned from the Europa League run), plus whatever is generated from the sale of squad players is realistic. That could be over £10m to be spent on a quality centre back, centre mid and goalscoring winger, with backups/the odd key player also to be brought in on loan.

Hard to speculate in terms of how much we'll spend, but since last summer, there has been the unexpected bonus of Euro money, substantial increase in value of a number of players, and Ryan Kent showing that players can come to Rangers on loan, improve and themselves go up in value.

Gerrard has far more trust from the board, and could generate a few million from selling squad players alone - I think that's his plan - generating money for squad players and replacing those squad players with better quality bosmans (Jones, Stewart, and there'll be more + loans).

If we can keep all first XI players from this season, I think a net spend of £6m-£10m (less than what we earned from the Europa League run), plus whatever is generated from the sale of squad players is realistic. That could be over £10m to be spent on a quality centre back, centre mid and goalscoring winger, with backups/the odd key player also to be brought in on loan.

The problem is I don’t think Jones or Stewart are any better than what we have just now, so we are replacing mediocrity with mediocrity.

Worrall and Defoe?

Do they come under piss poor or chucked it?

You could beg the question about Wirral was he worth a fee for a years loan when we could’ve played someone else and would we have finished the season any worse off ?

Defoe is semi permanent given that it’s an 18 month deal and could be extended to a year extra on top of his Fitness and prowess continues

Stop talking sense man. Start panicking cos we havent spent millions before the window has opened. We're doomed, doomed I tells you :p

Worrall is the worst thing to have happened to our team this season. Completely destroyed a great pairing when they were on form. If I never see him again it will be too soon

Complete and utter nonsense. Are you just ignoring his role in some of our best results of the season?

Will have definitely gone down well with them that Kent has loved it here and performed well. That’s will do our chances of getting Kent back or other young talent no harm at all.

Fifth season under this board and still loading up on loans should be a cause of alarm for all of us.

Unless it’s an exceptional player or someone we plan on signing permanently this is not a healthy avenue for us to explore.

We signed 7 loan players last season and only 1 (Kent) has been up to scratch.

Our transfer policy is a major problem. Of particular concern are the loans and ‘squad players’ used to bulk up the squad. Our academy shouldn’t have to bypass the likes of Flanagan, Polster, Greg Stewart or Coulibaly to be back-up to core players in the starting XI.

Worrying that these conversations are still going when a) it’s clearly not working for us and b) our board appear to have no long term, sustainable strategy in place for success.

Last edited:
I reckon we will get Kent and one other out of Adam Lewis, Brewster, Woodburn and Sheyi Ojo.

Harry Wilson is well out of reach now sadly
Wilson has done well at Derby, but not well enough to make him a Prem player.

I think hes well within our reach, especially with European football.

Wilson has done well at Derby, but not well enough to make him a Prem player.

I think hes well within our reach, especially with European football.
No chance. Liverpool just sold Solanke who has barely kicked a ball for £19M. Wilson has been a stand out in the Championship and is now a key player for Wales.

He could easily go to a bottom half side like Palace, Newcastle or Bournemouth for anything up to £20M.

No chance. Liverpool just sold Solanke who has barely kicked a ball for £19M. Wilson has been a stand out in the Championship and is now a key player for Wales.

He could easily go to a bottom half side like Palace, Newcastle or Bournemouth for anything up to £20M.
Theres no chance Newcastle would take him.

We’ll see though, he has scored a few belters but he he hasn’t exactly been a stand out in that league. Plenty wingers who have had better seasons.

If theres going to be more loans coming in from Liverpool then I think we need to be targetting players who probably already know that they're unlikely to have a future with Liverpool. The problem with taking some 18-19yo future prospect is that in their heads theyre here for the short term, but still see their future as being a Liverpool player.

It makes more sense to get a guy like Kent who realistically was probably using his time here to make a bit of a name for himself and then win a permanent move either to us or someone else. Far less likely to see performances tail off etc if the player feels like they've got something to play for all season rather than just counting down the days till they go back down the road.

And every permanent signing has been a rip roaring success?

Is that really a good counter argument ? Let’s just not sign any players .

It’s up to us to get recruitment right and balance it with young players coming through.

No amount of short termism and duff loan deals will change that .

Kent would be fantastic to get for one more season. I am not a fan of the loan option. We have very rarely had any come good.
Get the Academy boys in the squad. How do we know if they will be good enough if we dont give them a chance. Kelly, Rudden, McPake and the likes of Houston deserve a chance. They are doing realy well for Scotland under 19 as well and planet earth to Scotland. To the rest of the world this age is not a problem chucking these guys in.

Back