Favourite ever friendly / pre-season tournament

beowulf

As a teenager bear in the 70s I used to enjoy the Tennant Caledonian Cup which comprised 4 teams, basically Rangers, Kilmarnock/Hearts or Partick Thistle, and 2 English teams usually from West Brom, Southampton, Brighton or West Ham. Always a good way to whet the appetite for the coming season.

Watching Rangers play twice in Brora were enjoyable, if surreal experiences. Only an hour from home and Andy Murray won Wimbledon as we were going through Dunbeath the first time around!

Last edited:
Has to be Newcastle 2004. 10000 bears.

Got off the train in Newcastle (no colours) and.somebody commented.on the wife's tits. :-D

Derby anyone?

We will forever have their record crowd as there was no segregation. 20k away fans? Must have been.
The linesman with the UJ flag lol.
The amount of bevvy consumed by the Bears was simply stunning and boy did we put it away.
Alcohol was on sale in the ground but here is a little known fact.
When the tannoy announced there was no sale of bevvy at half time-which was greeted by a mighty roar that we had drunk the place dry-this was not really correct.
The Plod in command had simply recognised that we were in fine spirits and that selling more drink may have changed this so got the shutters pulled.
Great decision.
Me and my mate blagged our way into hospitality: which was nice

Last edited:
Rangers/Steau/Sampdoria

We’re Man United the 4th team that year?
Tottenham were the other team. Brilliant couple of days of football, was my first visit to Ibrox and loved every minute. Gazza had just signed and still had Goram, Gough, Robertson, Laudrup, McCoist, McCall, Hately.

The Stuart McCall testimonial at Bradford was a great day out as well but Derby for me will take a lot of beating excellent day out our RSC ran a full coach down.

The Emirates Cup was a cracking weekend away.

Brilliant, the Drayton Park pub before and after the games. Some wee guy from Eastenders was in, they give him the mike and he says ‘I love the jumpy jumpy song’:D Hope we get invited again.

Rangers/Steau/Sampdoria

We’re Man United the 4th team that year?

This two seasons in a row. We beat Man United 1-0 with McCoist scoring, Cantona sent off.
Laudrup and Gazza making debuts each year in this event.

Without a doubt the best pres season Friendly by a mile was Chelsea at Ibrox when we beat them 2-0, it was like a champions league atmosphere. The Chelsea fans and players where stunned after the game. Even Sebo scored.

As a teenager bear in the 70s I used to enjoy the Tennant Caledonian Cup which comprised 4 teams, basically Rangers, Kilmarnock/Hearts or Partick Thistle, and 2 English teams usually from West Brom, Southampton, Brighton or West Ham. Always a good way to whet the appetite for the coming season.
Me too. My first introduction to Rangers while up visiting my relatives in Kilbirnie.
I was at 2 of them. The West Brom game I think was Willie Johnstone's first game back at Ibrox for WB and I think Peter Osgood was playing for Southampton by then.

Easy winner for me- think it was called the Ibrox Cup- a four team preseason tournament with Rangers, Man U, Newcastle and Sampdoria.
Rangers vs Man U for the third place playoff was the unofficial ‘battle of Britain’ And a bit of a grudge match with Cantona getting sent off.

Derby anyone?

We will forever have their record crowd as there was no segregation. 20k away fans? Must have been.
The amount of bevvy consumed by the Bears was simply stunning and boy did we put it away.
When the tannoy announced there was no sale of bevvy at half time-which was greeted by a mighty roar that we had drunk the place dry-this was not really correct.
The Plod in command had simply recognised that we were in fine spirits and that selling more drink may have changed this so got the shutters pulled.
Great decision.

My personal favourite also.

At one point before the game we were all just standing on the hill (thousands of us) singing down to the concourse and the Derby fans were just looking up in amazement obviously thinking what the fucks going on here.

The Derby fans were brilliant as well. There was either a bar joined on to the stadium or right beside it and they wouldn’t let us put our hands in our pocket.

Not that we needed it, we’d already put away plenty by the time we hit Carlisle services.

Couldn’t speak for a week after that. The singing was literally constant for the whole match.

Was going to go slightly off topic and say the old League cup format in the 70,s . In my head it was always sunny and we won every game by five or six.

Reading the thread it reminded me of some great games in England I went to.

I enjoyed a couple of pre season games in England, Sunderland and Everton. I'm not a big fan of friendly games but going down to England is a nice change from the norm.

Derby anyone?

Great decision.

Great day out.

Don't really have one but I did like going to the overseas games

Some of the English based ones were good

Back