Daniel Candeias - what do we do with him?

Corriebear

I love Candeias, he’s like a 2019 version of Novo. Always gives 100% and loves the club.

On top of that, he’s one of our most dangerous players. Today is a fine example, two fantastic assists. He’s probably the only player at our club who could deliver that cross for Katic.

However, on other days he appears to be our weakest link. I fully expect him to be dropped next week for Kent. His performance at Parkhead was dreadful and it was his original mistake that cost us the first goal.

One minute I want him replaced by a new signing, next he’s the first name down for a starting position.

Think he might be a sub next season, but what a player, incredible workrate. The pace of Arfield, (new striker) and (hopefully) Kent upfront is enough to take us to the league title. Candeias and Middleton both pushing for a place on the wings.

Would be an excellent squad player for the remaining year of his contract.

His numbers have always been impressive for a player that isn’t known for being consistent.

I’d keep him. No question. He may not play as often as he’s used to at Rangers but he will have spells where he is vital to us. There are times when, even though performing poorly, he produces a key assist, makes a vital tackle, closes down an opposition defender or whatever. Far from the most skilful player in our team but up there amongst the hardest working. Novo comparison is probably not far off the mark. No way I’d be letting him go unless it was for a substantial seven figure fee.

Last edited:
Another who has never had consistent football and late in a season is looking like a shadow of Player who shone in the Europa run. No doubt he will come back pre season ready again but right now he is crawling across the line.

He’a inconsistent within games, chose a couple of wrong options today. Tell you what through, give me a player like him that will run himself into the ground every second he’s on the pitch, and contributes assists any day of the week. Deserves to stay and hopefully win a title.

I expect us to sign better quality in his position in the summer but he will still make a big contribution as a squad player.

His work rate, pressing and at time his deliverys are excellent but I still think a lot of our attacks break down because he is not quite at the level of some players around him

Love the wee man's attitude and desire. Can score can create and can be utter dog shit.....then again most wingers do have their off days. I'd keep him, a great squad player to have

Find it laughable when people say the likes of a Shinnie, Stewart or Hastie would be good squad players yet label Candeias not good enough and needs moved on.

Better than all of the above, done it in matches against the bheggars, though away games and in Europe.

I'd replace him in the first team with a better player but he's more than good enough to contribute 25/30 games a season. His replacement will have to hit the ground running and there will be pressure on him as Gerrard knows what Candeias can do.

The assist stat is a load of bollocks and doesn't do Candeias any favours. He could track back and win the ball, play a one-two, beat a man, round the keeper and square it to a team mate who blasts it off a defender or sclaffs it wide. His delivery can be poor at times but there are also times where his balls are fantastic and no one reads them or gambles.

Stays but as a squad player.

Only a year left on his deal. We're not getting a fee for him. So he's more use to us than freeing him to go elsewhere.
Exactly this.

He'll be a good option coming off the bench for certain scenarios and I'd even contemplate starting him away from home in Europe.

Squad player at most but we need better and more consistent with performances

Stays but as a squad player.

Only a year left on his deal. We're not getting a fee for him. So he's more use to us than freeing him to go elsewhere.

You just know hes the type to work is arse off next year for a new deal. He'll want to stay.

Great player and i would start him most weeks. There people in nearly every position that need strengthened before his.
Saying that, to win the league i think we will need to end up replacing the majority in the first 11 at the moment

Unfortunately In the grand scheme of things he's not good enough ,i really like him but we need better.

Think he might be a sub next season, but what a player, incredible workrate. The pace of Arfield, (new striker) and (hopefully) Kent upfront is enough to take us to the league title. Candeias and Middleton both pushing for a place on the wings.

What a player? He's an absolute journeyman at best.

And though I admire Arfield, pace is the one thing he genuinely lacks.

It's dead easy. The jersey is his until someone better displaces him.

Right now we don't have anyone who meets that criterion.

SG has rested / dropped him a couple of times this season. But he's always ended up back in the team. Even recently when the formation has been adapted to bring the front three more narrow he has adapted his game and got on with it. I thought the shift he and Kent put in as "inside forwards" when we went down to ten at the piggery was outstanding.

His very final ball / that wee bit of composure is what lets him down at times. Everything else he has in spades, and I also believe he's a very intelligent player, he knows where he's supposed to be on the pitch and only occasionally makes bad decisions (certainly not any more than anyone else in the squad). However, if he was turning it up a notch with that final ball / shot / pass / cross on a more consistent basis then quite simply he wouldn't have been within our reach in the first place.

I don't understand the whipping boy status he has assumed at times on here. The lad is a proper professional who even in the latter part of his career has been willing to learn and listen to his manager. Even when he's having a stinker he doesn't hide.

A lot of our support won't fully appreciate him until he does go.

Love his work rate and commitment but to win the league next year we need much much better , this is where we need to get quality

I love Candeias, he’s like a 2019 version of Novo. Always gives 100% and loves the club.

On top of that, he’s one of our most dangerous players. Today is a fine example, two fantastic assists. He’s probably the only player at our club who could deliver that cross for Katic.

However, on other days he appears to be our weakest link. I fully expect him to be dropped next week for Kent. His performance at Parkhead was dreadful and it was his original mistake that cost us the first goal.

One minute I want him replaced by a new signing, next he’s the first name down for a starting position.
I honestly cannot work him out.
Today he was in certain moments absolutely sublime.
But in others, he was just rotten.

If he could be at the same sublime all of the time he would, of course, be playing for a top team in Spain.

I don't dislike him, but we need a player who is more consistent.
Although there was a period at the beginning of the season when I thought he was very consistent.

He misjudges plenty of crosses but the ones he gets right are phenomal the one for the Katic goal was top class

Tough crowd those wanting rid of him.

He’s not consistent enough to be a first team regular but he would be a good backup option.

I do like the guy,can whip in a mean cross like he showed today....
However he doesn’t provide enough in the way of goals scored,2 or 3 times today he could have put the game beyond doubt but flaffed his efforts.If we want to challenge properly we need our wide players to chip in with more than what Candieas does, especially in the bigger games.

Back