Drop Rangers into the Championship

Coza

As we are now under SG - Where we finishing in your opinion?

Had an interesting debate with a Leeds fan who was commenting on their stuttered finish to the season and how it’s all unravelling. Anyway conversation moved on to Rangers and Celtic in the championship when I mentioned I went to see QPR v Burton last year and felt the football was terrible and would fully expect both Rangers and Celtic to spank both teams 9/10.

I was utterly gobsmacked to hear back.

“Rangers are at best a mid table league 2 team and Celtic would be mid table championship. Morelos is very average and a nutter, you sign players from league two and they go into your team, you sign championship players who are your star players. No more than 2 of your players would make Leeds starting XI.”

I know we often have the big club debate on here given the arrogance and ignorance of the English but can anyone understand this attitude? Does anyone agree?

The championship is a decent league there’s a lot of big teams in there however I think what people, especially those who have no knowledge of us or that lot, fail to comprehend is the size of us as a Club.

With the financial clout of English football I honestly think both clubs would be challenging at the top of the English league within 5 years.

Unless we have a serious level of investment then I reckon we would in League 1 at best

Nonsense tbh. Last 2 pre seasons we've pumped championship teams easily and looked a level above them. There's a lot of overrated dross in that league - guys like Kal Naismith and Joey Garner get a game at wigan ffs.

Even Sunderland are high fliers in league 1 this season with a team made up of average SPL dross who wouldn't get near our team.

If it was the squad as it stands at the moment we’d do well to finish mid table in the Championship.

Why do folk think we’d struggle in the Championship?

Pukki for the mentally challengeds couldn’t kick his own arse up here against the likes of Ross county and is now the top scorer.

Waghorn who was absolutely dreadful up here is one of Derby’s top players who are in the play off positions if I’m correct.

McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Katic, Flanagan, Kamara, Davis, Arfield, Morelos, Kent, Defoe etc to name a few would all hold their own in the Championship, even the lower end of the Prem.

I wouldn't be worried about playing any team from the championship

Doing it over 46 games however is another matter, just taking our current team i think we could be top 6.

Its hard to predict because there are so many games and its a very hard league to win.

Nonsense tbh. Last 2 pre seasons we've pumped championship teams easily and looked a level above them. There's a lot of overrated dross in that league - guys like Kal Naismith and Joey Garner get a game at wigan ffs.

Even Sunderland are high fliers in league 1 this season with a team made up of average SPL dross who wouldn't get near our team.

Playing some of these teams in one -off games means nothing if you are playing them regular over a 46 game season

Norwich are winning that league.

No chance they are much better than us, if at all.

We'd be challenging for a promotion place based on the current squad. I think the Celtic team over the past few years would bounce between Championship and EPL.

If we were actually placed in the Championship we'd be top 6 EPL within 5-10 years.

Most people in England seem to have strong opinions about how poor Scottish football is without ever having watched it.

Some of the replies to this thread haha

Clearly you haven't watched English football

Having seen Premier league fixtures, championship and league one this season. I can assure you we'd hold our own in the Premier league.

Top end championship at least

Aye league two is awash with teams containing several international players from Croatia, Colombia etc. Also I could totally see Newport county or Grimsby town going away and scoring three goals at spartak Moscow or holding Villarreal to a 2-2 draw in Spain. Is there a spice consumption crisis in Leeds? Might explain the comments.

FWIW we'd be lower end of the epl as we currently stand IMO, about 16th or so...probably just good enough to avoid the drop.

We’d be competing for a playoff spot in the Championship with the squad we currently have.

But give us the same budget as the rest of the Championship? We’d be battling it out with Timmy to win it.

Rangers are like a working class self made millionaire with say around £2 million in the bank who has worked hard for it. The vast majority of English clubs are like benefit cheats who win £50 million on the lottery and then think that it makes them better people than the guy with £2 million.

Two reasons why this arrogance from many fans of run of the mill English clubs exists:

No UK-wide league was formed when league football began in the late 19th century. This would have a huge impact a hundred years later on a big club like us stuck in a small league.

In the 1990s BSkyB began to invest a disproportionate amount of money into the English game which has grown exponentially ever since. It’s not just Scottish football that looks on in envy. German and Spanish football fans feel the same.

Had an interesting debate with a Leeds fan who was commenting on their stuttered finish to the season and how it’s all unravelling. Anyway conversation moved on to Rangers and Celtic in the championship when I mentioned I went to see QPR v Burton last year and felt the football was terrible and would fully expect both Rangers and Celtic to spank both teams 9/10.

“Rangers are at best a mid table league 2 team and Celtic would be mid table championship. Morelos is very average and a nutter, you sign players from league two and they go into your team, you sign championship players who are your star players. No more than 2 of your players would make Leeds starting XI.”

I know we often have the big club debate on here given the arrogance and ignorance of the English but can anyone understand this attitude? Does anyone agree?
Tell the prick we'd spank his team AGAIN.

The key to getting far in the Championship in England is consistency. Anybody can beat each other on their day. It’s an incredibly unpredictable league.

At present we struggle with consistency unfortunately. I think we’d be very lucky to make the play offs.

Harsh but true I think.

Playing some of these teams in one -off games means nothing if you are playing them regular over a 46 game season

27b585f340.png

You really don't think we could regularly beat a lineup such as this one? Guys like Danny Fox & Kal Naismith starting ffs. Other guys like Massey have spent their entire careers at Colchester - complete dross.

That lineup would get an absolute pumping from us.

Devils advocate again here.

How do you think Aberdeen would do in the Championship?

A team we’ve lost to 3 times and drew twice against this season.

The championship...a league that 'Waggy' and joey garner have made a name in? I honestly think we'd compete year 1 and with the money coming in, win it year 2. That's before we dominated the premiership.

I don't see any championship sides besting Villareal over 2 games the way we did.

Devils advocate again here.

How do you think Aberdeen would do in the Championship?

A team we’ve lost to 3 times and drew twice against this season.

They'd be lower end but I doubt they'd get relegated. Look at some of the teams in this league and you'll find a lot of surprising names playing for them. They have large squads filled up with pretty much the same dross teams like Aberdeen sign.

Top end championship low end prem league

However one thing's for certain, give us the money English teams get and both rangers and the manks would finish in the top half of the prem league table comfortably when we reinvest it into the club.

27b585f340.png

You really don't think we could regularly beat a lineup such as this one? Guys like Danny Fox & Kal Naismith starting ffs. Other guys like Massey have spent their entire careers at Colchester - complete dross.

That lineup would get an absolute pumping from us.

Not exactly daft to think in some cases we could breeze through some games and not in others

Just think with the current squad we be in League 1

You simply need to look at the teams in the Championship and their personnel. An example, John Fleck, a good player but never excelled for us, is the key man for Sheffield Utd.

I wouldn't be worried about playing any team from the championship

Doing it over 46 games however is another matter, just taking our current team i think we could be top 6.

Its hard to predict because there are so many games and its a very hard league to win.
Have to agree a lot of sense spoken here, as usual mate, it's the endurance of the championship that makes or breaks teams, hard to keep up for the entire season

I work with a Derby fan and we were talking about how Rangers would get on against Championship teams and he said that it would be close between us and Derby and they are still going for play offs

Have to agree a lot of sense spoken here, as usual mate, it's the endurance of the championship that makes or breaks teams, hard to keep up for the entire season

We've probably played more games this season than any team in the championship has. If not promotion in the first year we'd get it in the 2nd. Of that I'm sure.

Sorry but we would be at the very least mid table but I see us as good enough to be bottom 6 prem and with money thrown at us the sky is the limit. Morelos would destroy that league. Shagger already proved he would be the best keeper by a mile.

Celtic would probably win it and we would be 2nd in the championship based on current teams.

Most of them are pretty guff and have many average players.

If we got championship money then of course it would be between the scum and us

Sorry but we would be at the very least mid table but I see us as good enough to be bottom 6 prem and with money thrown at us the sky is the limit. Morelos would destroy that league. Shagger already proved he would be the best keeper by a mile.

Exactly mate. Could anyone ever see a Wigan or a Preston attracting players like Arfield, Defoe, shagger or Davis to sign for them? Not a chance.

We might not compete in terms of budget with some of these teams, but we are far bigger in stature than them and we are still capable of attracting better players. Give us a year or 2 on their kind of budgets and we'd walk that league.

Amazing how many people are missing the point and question asked in the OP.

He's a fucking idiot.

The Championship is 90% rammed full of fucking nobodies.

Where are we finishing? Play off spots at present, until we start winning away games habitually

Proably cant always read too much into friendlies but in the last two summers we have wiped the floor with Sheff Wed and Wigan.

Also, each team we played in the Europa League group this season would win the Championship with ease.

Norwich, who are league leaders would be lucky to pick up a single point in the group we were in.

Back