Drop Rangers into the Championship

No game against Rangers, or Celtic is ever a dead rubber for these teams, as Lennon is currently finding out.

Remember Aberdeen took a full strength Burnley side, that Dyche brought back 2 weeks early for pre season training specifically for that tie, to extra time over 2 legs in the Europa.

As someone who takes a keen interest in the Championship, the standard of football is massively overrated, mainly due to Sky's superb coverage of that league.

Part of the championship hype comes from the fact everyone seems to take points of everyone else. They think this makes it a really strong league. Competitive yes, strong not so sure.

For me the yo yo results tell you that lots of teams are very inconsistent all the way to the top 6. We have been inconsistent this year but when good very good. I think we would do a lot better than people down there realise even with our current squad.

I also think very few teams down there have the expectation to turn anyone they face over home or away. That is a unique pressure that we and the tims have and we therefore require players who can live up to that.

I went to see Cardiff vs Burton last year. Me and my mate couldn't believe how bad Cardiff were and Burton even worse.

Cardiff then got promoted......

I think we would be able to get round the play offs first season. It's massively competitive but what people forget is competitive doesn't equal quality. Some of the teams and players are bang average.

I always say look at the players who have gone from Scotland and carved out a really good career.

I mean the team of the year has Randolph of ex Motherwell fame and Pukki has lit up the league.

Part of the championship hype comes from the fact everyone seems to take points of everyone else. They think this makes it a really strong league. Competitive yes, strong not so sure.

For me the yo yo results tell you that lots of teams are very inconsistent all the way to the top 6. We have been inconsistent this year but when good very good. I think we would do a lot better than people down there realise even with our current squad.

I also think very few teams down there have the expectation to turn anyone they face over home or away. That is a unique pressure that we and the tims have and we therefore require players who can live up to that.

Absolutely spot on mate.

Unfortunately, for me anyway, Leeds are currently making your point for you.

Unless we have a serious level of investment then I reckon we would in League 1 at best

As an SAFC supporter who has watched almost every game this season, trust me, we (Rangers) are vastly superior to the pish football League 1 has to offer. McGeady is a good player but looks world class in that league...and don't get me started on the quality of the defences! Rangers would tear Sunderland and the rest of League 1 a new one.

Last edited:
Ive seen a lot of the championship in the last few years as I live down in Leeds.

It is nowhere near as good as folk think.

We would certainly be in the play offs and probably challenging for the league. The top half of the SPL would finish in the lower half of the championship whilst the lower half of the SPL would be top half of League 1. The quality of League 1 is really dire.

OP

Rangers would win or be promoted, the money is inflated for players but the vast majority of players aren’t any better than Tavernier, Jack & Arfield and not even close to a Morelos or Kent.

Rangers would beat any of the top 6 without issues. Yes we’d drop points but can you truly say that a Rotherham or Millwall would cause problems ?

Rangers 6 Bury 0 ( albeit in a friendly) would tend to suggest that we might just be a wee bit above League 2

Nonsense tbh. Last 2 pre seasons we've pumped championship teams easily and looked a level above them. There's a lot of overrated dross in that league - guys like Kal Naismith and Joey Garner get a game at wigan ffs.

Even Sunderland are high fliers in league 1 this season with a team made up of average SPL dross who wouldn't get near our team.

I agree. Are they suggesting all the clubs in The Championship and League 1 could compete in the Europa League.

We were told the likes of Alnwick would be our first choice goalie within 6 months.

I dont think wed struggle in the Championship at all with our money let alone theirs.

Leeds fans always come out with this shit, it's their comfort blanket. Strange behaviour.

Ask him how the result went last time Scottish & English Champions met each other in Europe before Sky money.

Mark Warburton came up from the championship and bought most of his squad from the championship, most of them were simply not good enough. Give Leeds the 1.5 million a year in SPL prize money . They wouldn't be able to afford 90% of there current squad based on their turnover and our paltry TV deal .

Leeds fans always come out with this shit, it's their comfort blanket. Strange behaviour.

Ask him how the result went last time Scottish & English Champions met each other in Europe before Sky money.

I’m old enough to remember us cuffing them home and away. He isn’t. Didn’t even know we had turned them over.

The Championship is simply a slog it is so over-rated it is unbelievable.
Is it competitive - no doubt.
Is it exciting - yes can be as any team can beat any team at any given moment.
Is it quality - no, not a chance. Any quality team that has been in that league have absolutely pissed it.

There is talk of John McGinn going to the EPL for mega-bucks if Villa don't make it - this is the same headless chicken McGinn who very rarely stood out in the SPFL and some of his performances for Scotland have been nothing short of embarrassing.

The EPL is 80% filler shite which makes the championship tesco value dug meat. On form and with a much improved budget we would annihilate that whole league.
I concur. I watched 5 championship teams last season in live matches and all bar Villa were Motherwell level dross.

The Championship is a decent standard because sky sports are telling you it is a decent standard, plain and simple.

Reality is, most of the teams are gash, littered with some good players.

Not one Championship team would have matched our own or tims Europa league results this season.

Below the top 12 in England the standard is nowhere near as good as the broadcasters make out - Exciting maybe, but quality wise I'm not buying it.

The Championship is simply a slog it is so over-rated it is unbelievable.
Is it competitive - no doubt.
Is it exciting - yes can be as any team can beat any team at any given moment.
Is it quality - no, not a chance. Any quality team that has been in that league have absolutely pissed it.

There is talk of John McGinn going to the EPL for mega-bucks if Villa don't make it - this is the same headless chicken McGinn who very rarely stood out in the SPFL and some of his performances for Scotland have been nothing short of embarrassing.

If I had seen this I wouldn't have bothered posting myself - spot on man.

As we are now under SG - Where we finishing in your opinion?

Had an interesting debate with a Leeds fan who was commenting on their stuttered finish to the season and how it’s all unravelling. Anyway conversation moved on to Rangers and Celtic in the championship when I mentioned I went to see QPR v Burton last year and felt the football was terrible and would fully expect both Rangers and Celtic to spank both teams 9/10.

I was utterly gobsmacked to hear back.

“Rangers are at best a mid table league 2 team and Celtic would be mid table championship. Morelos is very average and a nutter, you sign players from league two and they go into your team, you sign championship players who are your star players. No more than 2 of your players would make Leeds starting XI.”

I know we often have the big club debate on here given the arrogance and ignorance of the English but can anyone understand this attitude? Does anyone agree?
Current Rangers team would be comfortably no worse than mid table Championship.

Its all personal experience. Not one Leeds fan has said that to me. In fact, most that I know are quite complementary about us.

Utterly amazing that bears would actually believe we are currently an also-ran in the Championship or worse. They'll call it realism but it's just the traditional negativity that saw posters wanting to sell Morelos last summer for peanuts.

We'd be strugglers in the EPL at this point. No worse.

As we are now, being inconsistent with performances and results against the dross of the SPL and there's folk gurning we'd be holding our own in the lower EPL or challenging in the Championship, citing friendly game results as evidence, really reeks of delusion.

More teams would attack us in the championship rather than play 10 men behind the ball every match.

Top ten finish first season. Next season promotion with the extra wonga

People saying we would struggle in the Championship are genuinely off their heads.

There is a lot of bang average teams in the Championship, especially the bottom half.

Our current team would be mid table or maybe have a sniff of a promotion place imo.

The league 2 is just your average English rhetoric from people who next to nothing about football. We are in a position to comment on English football as we watch alot more of it than they do ours.

Last edited:
It's not the quality of the Championship but the relentless of it. Our current squad would initially struggle to compete week after week.

That’s the difference.

Every side in the Championship is better than anyone else we face in the SPFL bar the Beasts, and many are even better than them.

It would take us, and them, a good few seasons to adjust to that week in week out.

I will say again, us and the scum would be top 2 in that league.
Anyone who doesn’t agree is fecking mental.
And since it’s totally hypothetical and there’s no way of proving it, anyone that thinks differently to you could accuse you of being utterly mental.

Had an interesting debate with a Leeds fan who was commenting on their stuttered finish to the season and how it’s all unravelling. Anyway conversation moved on to Rangers and Celtic in the championship when I mentioned I went to see QPR v Burton last year and felt the football was terrible and would fully expect both Rangers and Celtic to spank both teams 9/10.

“Rangers are at best a mid table league 2 team and Celtic would be mid table championship. Morelos is very average and a nutter, you sign players from league two and they go into your team, you sign championship players who are your star players. No more than 2 of your players would make Leeds starting XI.”

I know we often have the big club debate on here given the arrogance and ignorance of the English but can anyone understand this attitude? Does anyone agree?
Pretty sure leeds just signed a boy from Motherwell... Stuart McKinstray, so does his logic apply here? :D

I think we'd be a mid-table Championship side at best with the current group we have tbh.

ETA: There isn't that big a gulf in quality between mid table and top two in the Championship so to suggest posters are "mental" if they don't think that us and the scum would definitely be top two is a bit silly.

Interesting comments on Morelos.

I also live down south and the general opinion is that he's a nut case. That hot head psycho narrative has definitely reached here. I watched that last game v Celtic with people from work and there was lots of hooting and hilarity when Morelos got sent off.

Loads of guys at work also backed Defoe to be the league's top scorer when he signed in January. People didn't think it was outrageous to expect he'd be banging in a hat-trick every second game.

It was the same when we signed Barton, I was told he would piss it up there/he was just going for an easy time.

I'd be confident in our home form against any team in the Championship. Think we would struggle away from home at times though. In that league confidence & momentum plays a big part, as there's lots of clubs basket cases down there, so I think the fact we are more stable than we've been for years off the park as much as anything else would stand us in good stead.

There’s absolutely no chance this current squad would be worse than Bristol City/Sheffield Wednesday, and both of them teams are close to the play-offs in the Championship.

With current squads we'd be some near the top 4-6 in the Championship. Celtic with BR in charge would win the league, with Lennon in charge I'd say they'd be similar to us.

Initially with this squad, i think we would struggle to get out of the championship i know we had a good European run but we have also dropped points against poor teams in Scotland.that being said, with the finance in the championship and our support i would expect us to add greatly to our squad and within two years be winning the league and then onwards and upwards to the efl

Barry Bannan, Lucas Jutkiewicz, Martyn Waghorn, Teemu Pukki, John Fleck, Paul Gallagher, Steven Fletcher, Matt Phillips, Charlie Mulgrew, Liam Palmer, Kenny McLean, Daryl Murphy and plenty other dross who have done nothing in Scotland/for the Scotland national team are key players in the Championship. Not one of them would get near our team nor the mentally challengeds starting XI.

It may be competitive, but in terms of quality the Championship is the most overrated league in Europe. The standard is utter garbage. The SPFL may be poor but we’re not deluded into thinking it’s something it’s not. That fans of teams in that league have any sort of arrogance about their sides is quite laughable. They’re all utter mince, without exception.

Unless we have a serious level of investment then I reckon we would in League 1 at best

I can’t agree with this. Whenever I watch championship games the quality of football is awful. I expect their average player will be faster and stronger than ours but they ain’t better footballers.

However, living down south, I can confirm that the note the OP received is a fairly standard response down here.

Why do fans on here mention the scum. Ask the people of Warrington, Manchester, Birmingham and London if they would have them playing in their football league, singing songs in support of terrorists. They have no chance of playing in England whereas as we would have.

They've announced the PFA championship team for 18-19. The best of the best in that league.

Strikers: Teemu Pukki, Billy Sharp, Tammy Abraham

Midfield: Oliver Norwood, Jack Grealish, Pablo Hernandez

Defence: Pontus Jansson, Liam Cooper, Jamal Lewis, Max Aarons

Goalkeeper: Darren Randolph

Admittedly that's a strong team, but if that's the best they have to offer then Rangers would easily make the playoffs in the championship as things stand.

As Champions of England with Cantona in their team, he probably thought that Leeds would hump us, when we last played them.

He would have been just as wrong then as he is now.

Championship teams would not have the same ultra defensive and physical tactics that we have struggled against this season.

I'm pretty certain we would get automatic promotion from the Championship, consolidate for a couple of years and after 5 years of EPL riches we would be competing for a CL place.

We'd be challenging for a promotion place based on the current squad. I think the Celtic team over the past few years would bounce between Championship and EPL.

If we were actually placed in the Championship we'd be top 6 EPL within 5-10 years.

Most people in England seem to have strong opinions about how poor Scottish football is without ever having watched it.
Problem is they only watch the us v them games on Sky, the rest is garbage so he is right

Back