Sir Alex Ferguson says the Boys' Brigade taught him teamwork

I loved my time in the Anchor boys then the Boys Brigade I don't hear anyone talking about it these days is it still going strong ?

A successful company thrived on good team work, we had that in abundance in the company I was in. Was in 5th Wishaw BB's from 74 until 1980 and still to this day, I carry the qualities i gain through my formative years in the BB's, where team work was all so very important. So to me, it comes as no surprise to hear Sir Alex say what he has.

1st Hurlford
38HK3Sy.gif

A successful company thrived on good team work, we had that in abundance in the company I was in. Was in 5th Wishaw BB's from 74 until 1980 and still to this day, I carry the qualities i gain through my formative years in the BB's, where team work was all so very important. So to me, it comes as no surprise to hear Sir Alex say what he has.
A good summary.
When my boy is old enough I'll encourage him to go to the AB and BB.
Although neither his mother or I are religious in anyway I still think it instills good values and a degree of discipline.

The B.B. was character-building.

Most of the knowledge and life skills that are still relevant to me today were learned at Primary school and the B.B.
(With the exception of Morse Code, now sadly redundant.)

1st Neilston Lifeboys and then Boys Brigade. There isn't a better institution for developing young men of good character than the BB.

79th Mearns Company.

Some of the best days of my life.

My national BB cross country and swimming titles still sit with pride in my mum and dad's house.

I'm auld enough to have been in the Life Boys, then transferred into the Boys' Brigade - 1st Port Glasgow Company.

I'm auld enough to have been in the Life Boys, then transferred into the Boys' Brigade - 1st Port Glasgow Company.

Must have changed from Life Boys a couple of years before I got involved (perhaps used as name for the Junior Section) - the name was still interchangeable and the old round hats were still floating around cupboards in our church.

Remember some mentally challenged Journo saying it was like a young Paramilitary organisation, how wrong could they get?

Discipline, morality and respect. A fantastic institution. Christian teachings were very much the foundation of our Company which I feel looking back was the correct way to do it. I knew some companies that friends attended were more of a youth club which I don't think was in line with the history of the organisation.

Plus we had a former Rangers captain in our ranks, Ally Dawson.

3rd Johnstone.

Loved my time in the BB - 102nd in the PI in Govan
Mr Stuart our Captain passed away this year - An absolute gentleman who played a major part in keeping us on the straight and narrow and gave us pride in ourselves.

1st Coatbridge many years ago. Anchor Boys, Junior Section then Company Section. Then I discovered drink and women. It was all downhill from there. Great memories.

59th Mosspark. Old Crystal Palace tops at one stage, white with red & blue diagonals. Used to play the 167th, 44th, 34th as I recall, others as well I presume. That's if the old memory isn't playing tricks, which is entirely possible!

Sad day last year when the 56th BB folded. The company from which the famous Albert bridge Accordion band came from. The 56th were connected to Albertbridge Congregational church which was in the Short Strand until the troubles forced the church to close. The church had its hall in George's Street at bottom of Ravenhill Road where the services were moved until new premises were built on Woodstock Road.

Must have changed from Life Boys a couple of years before I got involved (perhaps used as name for the Junior Section) - the name was still interchangeable and the old round hats were still floating around cupboards in our church.

Lifeys Lifeys cut them up in slices.

I was in the cubs then the Scouts:D

Back