Call out for 'Boss' musicians

Not kidding myself on. Anyone spouting that will be shown the door, they are not welcome.

The thing about this night, us it is offering some Rangers fans an option that is not there for them now. There is plenty out there for the FTP or whatever. If someone wants to jeopardise this for them, then they will be made to feel unwelcome. If I were not able to do one of these without the nonsense I wouldn't even think about doing another.
Agreed.

Sash Bashes, Loyalists nights etc. exist and will continue to exist. There will always be a market for these.

However, this is a different concept and it needs people to come along an appreciate it for what it is. I think it could be superb. Without going on about Liverpool even more today, their Boss nights by Jamie Webster have been hugely successful and I can see why. If we can launch something similar it will be a great addition to our fan culture and potentially add to and enhance the matchday song book and ultimateley improve the atmosphere at home games etc.

I guessing you're going to ditch Penny Arcade as well then.

A lot of songs that will need to be ditched.

I really do doff my cap to the lad for trying and hope it is a success, but I can't see it being, or I can see it turning into exactly what he doesn't want.

It doesn't matter where you are, you get a large group of bears together the Loyalist tunes come out, the add ons get sung and that happens everywhere.

As I say I hope he gets what he wants, but I can't see it happening at all how he thinks it will.

And let's be honest, calling it a Rangers night and not having that song as the OP is a bit like toast and jam without the jam.

I understand some people might not dig or enjoy the Loyalist element, but it is part of Rangers, and the vast majority of fans mindset and isn't going away anytime soon.

I really do doff my cap to the lad for trying and hope it is a success, but I can't see it being, or I can see it turning into exactly what he doesn't want.

It doesn't matter where you are, you get a large group of bears together the Loyalist tunes come out, the add ons get sung and that happens everywhere.

As I say I hope he gets what he wants, but I can't see it happening at all how he thinks it will.

And let's be honest, calling it a Rangers night and not having that song as the OP is a bit like toast and jam without the jam.

I understand some people might not dig or enjoy the Loyalist element, but it is part of Rangers, and the vast majority of fans mindset and isn't going away anytime soon.
The difference here is, it's not just going be a random gathering of bears. Those who choose to buy a ticket, are doing so knowing they are going to an event where it is specifically targeting a certain group. If, as is so evident there are so many fed up listening to loyalist songs when gathered with Rangers fans, then there will be a great number who want this and want to keep it. Again what is very evident, there are plenty who go to sash bashes who fancy a change.

Last edited:
Not kidding myself on. Anyone spouting that will be shown the door, they are not welcome.

The thing about this night, us it is offering some Rangers fans an option that is not there for them now. There is plenty out there for the FTP or whatever. If someone wants to jeopardise this for them, then they will be made to feel unwelcome. If I were not able to do one of these without the nonsense I wouldn't even think about doing another.

The more I hear the more I wish I could come to one. (I live in Northampton sooooo...)

Well it won’t be the people on stage doing the performing spouting any FTP stuff or shite about a dead terrorist and the type of songs being sung anyone trying to bastardise the lyrics is going to look a complete imbecile and be ejected. It’s all about the Rangers!

It would actually be an ideal opportunity to get the correct version of the iconic "Follow Follow" back into the mainstream.

Drop all mention of Dundee, Hamilton etc. It should just be a second repeat of "Follow Follow, we will follow Rangers, if we go to Dublin we will follow on"

No mention of Aberdeen, Hamilton, Dundee or anywhere else except Dublin. It was never in the original and was only shoehorned in to fit Hamilton and the Vatican into it. That'll be the next great Rangers song that ends up mumbled in the stadium by embarrassed parents if we're not careful.

It’s a part of Rangers support, not a part of Rangers. I used to be in the OO when I was younger, now tbh I’m sick to death of it. I’d much rather sit and sing songs that are actually relevant to football than loyalist stuff. That’s the purpose of the idea and if people don’t like it then they should have a look out for a sash bash and leave this to the people wanting to attend it for the right reasons, to get songs for our club that are about football and actually relevant to 2019

Even if this was to produce a proper song for our illustrious manager, it could be seen as a total success.

Reactions: WBD
Alright mate. This is something I could contribute to. Without sounding like a total square though I do have questions.

Is the expectations to give it the %^*& the Pope and the IRA chat?. Being honest, I'm all for a sing song amongst my pals. But to be fair, taking this on is not something I want to lose my job over after becoming a viral sensation after managing to fit Bobby Sands being deed into every second song.

Whats your audience you are aiming for?

Truthfully, I also have some concerns regarding speaking to connections that might be interested in this type of thing.

Without being deemed a surrender monkey, even the remotest hint of any of the kind of stuff you have raised would actually put the job of one of the people I know at genuine risk.

I doubt anyone I know would be willing to risk their careers over a sing song. It really would need to be Rangers only. If it starts to get drawn into NI politics, religion or sectarianism, I'm afraid I wouldn't even be willing to suggest people I might know getting involved.

As I've said repeatedly though this thread, I think this is a brilliant initiative. I really hope it gets off the ground. However, it has to be parent and child friendly and engender a real pride in coming along and being part of our support, the sort of things grand parents could take their grandchildren along to. That's how we'll eventually create a real celebratory buzz in the stadium.

Lastly, anyone who wasn't impressed with the non offensive, non sectarian, total support Liverpool got from every single person in their support, team and management team last night (all singing all the songs together) is totally missing the point of these types of events.

The difference here is, it's not just going be a random gathering of bears. Those who choose to buy a ticket, are doing so knowing they are going to an event where it is specifically targeting a certain group. If, as is so evident there are so many fed up listening to loyalist songs when gathered with Rangers fans, then there will be a great number who want this and want to keep it. Again what is very evident, there are plenty who go to sash bashes who fancy a change.

I don't see where that is very evident at all.

Serious estimate how many do you think you will get to a night like this if you make it clear any form of loyalism or add ons and you are out the door?

Genuinely I am not having a go and I hope it works, the more nights and coming together of bears the better but I am just failing to see 1 , where the appetite for it is, 2 how you think this isn't going to turn into what you don't want it to.

Claims that are evident so many are "fed up listening to loyalist songs" , I just don't see it, don't see evidence of it, and even then some may say they are then a bit of bevvie and the old tunes come out :D

As I say, good luck, but iv never been in a group of bears, and Iv travelled and continue to travel the world with Rangers, that don't start singing the tunes.

It’s a part of Rangers support, not a part of Rangers. I used to be in the OO when I was younger, now tbh I’m sick to death of it. I’d much rather sit and sing songs that are actually relevant to football than loyalist stuff. That’s the purpose of the idea and if people don’t like it then they should have a look out for a sash bash and leave this to the people wanting to attend it for the right reasons, to get songs for our club that are about football and actually relevant to 2019

This isn't and shouldn't become a Us vs Them between Rangers fans, lets not turn it into that - we have enough factions, splits and arguments as it is ;)

Serious estimate how many do you think you will get to a night like this if you make it clear any form of loyalism or add ons and you are out the door?

Genuinely I am not having a go and I hope it works, the more nights and coming together of bears the better but I am just failing to see 1 , where the appetite for it is, 2 how you think this isn't going to turn into what you don't want it to.

Claims that are evident so many are "fed up listening to loyalist songs" , I just don't see it, don't see evidence of it, and even then some may say they are then a bit of bevvie and the old tunes come out :D

As I say, good luck, but iv never been in a group of bears, and Iv travelled and continue to travel the world with Rangers, that don't start singing the tunes.
If I can put on an event that satisfies those interested in having it, then Result. I'm not looking for a massive event. Initially it will be small. If those who attend enjoy it, they spread the word then next one will be bigger. If they don't enjoy they won't be back and it will be history.

Last edited:
This isn't and shouldn't become a Us vs Them between Rangers fans, lets not turn it into that - we have enough factions, splits and arguments as it is ;)

That’s not my intention at all mate I just don’t want this being derailed. As I said there’s plenty out there for the fans that want to sing the loyalist songs but there’s very little if anything at all for the fans that want to sing football songs new and old. Matches will always be a mix of both but one look at the boss nights videos and the atmospheres at Anfield over the past 2 seasons especially should give everyone an idea of what WBD is after and why we as a support need it.

Bruce-Springsteen-the-stories-behind-the-songs-cleared-publicity-image.jpg
No retreat baby, no surrender!

Rangers will always be Rangers, we aren't just a team in blue.

Protestants being the overwhelming base of the clubs support over the years and the Unionism that that runs through our history cant be re-written or airbrushed.

From talking to WBD, that is not what he is looking to do with this event.

Have I sung loyalist songs, yes. Will I sing 'controversial' songs again? Yes.
I also think that there is too much of a focus on UVF stuff within our current songbook and that part of the reason for this event is to redress that balance.

I would not be wanting to attend the event if loyalists aren't welcome and if it is going to be overtly PC and self-defeating. This doesn't seem to be the case.

The intention is to focus on Rangers only music, but within that also comes a nod to our background and history.

And a sight I'd never seen,
When they sang
"God Save the Queen"
When the Rangers came to
Wolverhampton Town'.

Give it a go.

Just have a billy boys night sing it for 90 mins like the good old days (its our anthem )

It would be great if - for once - a concept could be launched within our fanbase and those who are interested in attending can freely do so and those who are not interested politely decline the opportunity - and everyone is happy.

Strength in a small proportion of our fanbase uniting round this to make it a successful event would be great without any internal squabbling. As has been mentioned, Sash Bashes and Loyalist nights will always be here. This is not replacing these at all. Absolutely not. This is just another kind of Rangers music based entertainment for anyone interested. I strongly believe there is a sufficient market for it.

Bring it on.

Last edited:

I don't mind loyalist tunes in principle. The vast majority are toe curlingly embarrassing with their childrens TV instrumentals. An absolute red neck. I'm all for a night of pure rangers songs, sung and played live with guitars etc. I couldn't give a monkeys about Bobby sands or the King of the peados. I do however love the rangers.

You stick to your guns chum, great oaks from small acorns grow.

Definitely something that could be a goer, if the correct singers, correct sound systems/venues etc are in place as the liverpool ones are good.
I had a meeting tonight concerning a possible venue, but this would be a larger venue if the nights were a success. A very productive meeting which has me even more determined to make this happen.

All I need now is more musicians committing to the idea, if not the actual night. As I said as is the way with musicians, I may get some but when it comes to it the date doesn't suit. But I can still use your services outwith the actual gig night. So if you are thinking about it. Contact me.

I had a meeting tonight concerning a possible venue, but this would be a larger venue if the nights were a success. A very productive meeting which has me even more determined to make this happen.

All I need now is more musicians committing to the idea, if not the actual night. As I said as is the way with musicians, I may get some but when it comes to it the date doesn't suit. But I can still use your services outwith the actual gig night. So if you are thinking about it. Contact me.

Great news pal. Im sure the effort you’re putting in will be more than worth it when this gets up and running!

Great work mate!

Reactions: WBD
Be interesting if you get it off the ground, good luck to you. Could be more in the market for folk to take their kid along to perhaps.
Ideally it would be a good thing to have a spin off, to have a mini version of it at fan zone events next season. Also, Liverpool did an event for youngsters, which should be something we should look at doing, get the youngsters, our future into this sort of culture.

Back