Chris Hughton sacked

They were shíte this season, if it was Hugh Christon that had been bagged nobody would give a fućk.

They are shite for a reason......

They are Brighton and up until last season hadn't played English top flight football for 30 odd years...

What else are people genuinely expecting them to do up against established PL clubs with far bigger budgets?

Good manager. I actually think he’s to good for Brighton and can only take them so far. No doubt the poets will be linked with him within 24 hours. :rolleyes:

They are Brighton and up until last season hadn't played English top flight football for 30 odd years...

What else are people genuinely expecting them to do up against established PL clubs with far bigger budgets?

More than 3 wins from their last 23 EPL matches I’d imagine.

He'll get a Championship job win promotion, and be sacked all over again

He seems to be stuck in the same cycle like Warnock

They would have been odds on to go down had they kept him though.
They will be similar odds as to what they were at the start of this season - whoever, their gaffer is.

I reckon all Brighton fans would have been content with surviving relegation, at the start of the season.

I couldn't care less.

Each to their own.

They will be similar odds as to what they were at the start of this season - whoever, their gaffer is.

I reckon all Brighton fans would have been content with surviving relegation, at the start of the season.

I couldn't care less.

Each to their own.

I’m sure they would have been, however the manner in which they did it was disappointing and they have been in freefall. And i said earlier it’s a risky move but better to make it now than after a few games at the start of next season.

Not everything needs to be an outrage. Hughton was very successful but at the same time Brighton aren’t off their heads. Sometimes things just come to a natural end in a cycle and you just need a change. He’d done a brilliant job but recent performances were indicative of a team in decline and they obviously don’t want to risk that continuing into a new season.

Hughton has a great reputation as a manager and will go on to do well elsewhere. Brighton have the chance to bring in a new man to reinvigorate the club. Both parties will probably be better off for it.

Pretty sure that Brighton spent big for this season and those that watch them are fairly unambiguous that they crawled over the line thanks to two awful teams and misfiring Cardiff side that beat them last time out at home.

The signings were hit and miss, the football was turgid and there was no prospect of growth under Houghton.

I'd be happy to see him at Stade de Gadd next year.

Spin that Rolodex and pick a name from the EPL manager merry-go-round, Big Sam / Hughes /McLaren will get another gig, roast owl all round!

have fond memories of Hove, a bad decision by Brighton's chairman imho.

Hope he isn't going to be on the list for the dhims, doubt very much tlb will be getting the job after yesterday's mauling.

The game against Newcastle a few weeks back sealed his fate

Cardiff has just lost at 3pm, Brighton had the chance to win and effectively seal their survival. The stadium was absolutely bouncing pre match.

And Hughton sent them out not to get beat. Newcastle took an early lead and even at that stage he wouldn't attack them. The crowd went apeshit over it. Eventually they got a draw from a set piece.

Even the BT pundits that night couldn't understand his approach to the game.

Him getting the Tims job wouldn't bother me one bit. A decent manager. No more than that.

Racism rears it’s ugly head at The Amex.

Apologies mate if that comment was "tongue in cheek" but I don't think it had anything to do with that. He had 3 wins in 23 games. Only Huddersfield were worse.

They gave him to the end of the season, fans were turning and it was time for a change.

Better to make the change now rather than wait until a couple of months into the season when they'd inevitably need to do it. Let the new manager get a whole summer. Their form the last 6 months has been pretty shocking. His recruitment has been really poor, still relying on a lot of the players that got them promoted.

Cardiff has just lost at 3pm, Brighton had the chance to win and effectively seal their survival. The stadium was absolutely bouncing pre match.

And Hughton sent them out not to get beat. Newcastle took an early lead and even at that stage he wouldn't attack them. The crowd went apeshit over it. Eventually they got a draw from a set piece.

Him getting the Tims job wouldn't bother me one bit. A decent manager. No more than that.

I’ll be more than happy if they appoint him. He’s one of the select group of managers that are great at getting out of the Championship but then struggle to take teams any further. See the likes of Bruce, Warnock, McCarthy for others with similar profiles.

Hughton will only be one of several managers changing clubs in England. The dhims will be linked with every one of them as our useless / lazy mhedia play pin the donkey.

I’ll be more than happy if they appoint him. He’s one of the select group of managers that are great at getting out of the Championship but then struggle to take teams any further. See the likes of Bruce, Warnock, McCarthy for others with similar profiles.

People says it's harsh, why though ? Norwich fans were glad to see the back of him as well.

Sets up not to get beat rather than to win. Good luck at the Piggery with that one Chris.

Poor decision. I like Hughton.

Regarding Hughes, I think he's excelled at just about every club he's been at ;

Hughes started his managerial career on a part-time basis with Wales and took on his first domestic job in 2004 with former club Blackburn.

He led Rovers to three successive top-10 finishes in the Premier League before taking charge of Manchester City in 2008.

The Citizens finished eighth in the 2008/09 campaign, and the Welshman departed in December 2009.

In the 2010/11 campaign, he took charge of Fulham and led them to eighth place in the table, qualifying for the UEFA Europa League as a result.

Following his resignation from Craven Cottage in the summer of 2011, Hughes was appointed as manager of Queens Park Rangers in January 2012.

He successfully guided the club to Premier League safety in the 2011/12 campaign but left in November 2012, taking a short absence from football.

Hughes was appointed as Tony Pulis' replacement at Stoke City ahead of the 2013/14 campaign and guided the Potters to ninth place in his first three seasons in charge.

A 13th-place finish followed in 2016/17, and Hughes departed Stoke on 6 January 2018 after more than four years at the club.

He secured a swift return to the Premier League when Southampton named him manager on 14 March 2018, giving him a contract to the end of the season.

After guiding Southampton to Premier League safety two months later, Hughes signed a new three-year deal with the club on 25 May 2018.

However, one win in their opening 14 league matches led to Hughes' departure from St. Mary's Stadium in December 2018.

I like how your Hughes defence is one big C&P job :D

Would be delighted if Hughton got the scum gig, can't see it though.

People says it's harsh, why though ? Norwich fans were glad to see the back of him as well.

Sets up not to get beat rather than to win. Good luck at the Piggery with that one Chris.

Brighton fans all want him gone. They watch them every week. That’s a pretty big tell.

If I’m a Championship club Chairman looking to go up then he would be on my shortlist but with a plan to move on from him once up. I think Brighton have timed this well.

Reactions: SDF
Brighton fans all want him gone. They watch them every week. That’s a pretty big tell.

If I’m a Championship club Chairman looking to go up then he would be on my shortlist but with a plan to move on from him once up. I think Brighton have timed this well.

After Murty's shitfest and the countless pundits who lined up to tell us how he deserved our job and no one could do any better I promised myself that I would never judge another support wanting a manager out the door.

As you say, they see things that us who do not watch them each week don't.

What do they expect ? Maybe not spending £70m and still lining up 4-5-1 with 35 year old carthorse Glenn Murray as striker I'd imagine.

Strange one.

Not sure what Brighton were expecting f.[/QUOT

Whàt's the betting Steve Clarke's name crops up for the job.And if so, i think he would jump at the chance to go back down south, especially now that they've managed to stay in the top league, and that it's in a nice part of the country, away from all the hassle he says that he's been getting up here.

After Murty's shitfest and the countless pundits who lined up to tell us how he deserved our job and no one could do any better I promised myself that I would never judge another support wanting a manager out the door.

As you say, they see things that us who do not watch them each week don't.

What do they expect ? Maybe not spending £70m and still lining up 4-5-1 with 35 year old carthorse Glenn Murray as striker I'd imagine.

Funnily enough I have a mate whose a Brighton season ticket holder and he likened Murray to the guy that organised the Sunday League team and gives himself a game up front even though he can’t run, pass or control the ball.

He'll get a Championship job win promotion, and be sacked all over again

He seems to be stuck in the same cycle like Warnock

Warnock like Rednap and managers like Sam Allydyce's times are up, as it's relatively a young mans game now.
With new brighter ideas of how the game should be played.

Brighton are my 'other team' so been watching quite carefully. Plenty of fans wanted him gone but I'm a wee bit dubious. Brighton's wage bill is the third lowest so not sure how much more could be expected (cheers, Fulham!) and it's the same manager that had started so well, after all. Some money was spent last summer but doesn't appear to have been spent well: don't know how involved he was with that but the resulting lack of reliable cover meant they looked like they were running on empty at times, and I'm sure the cup run will have added to that.
Suppose it depends on who replaces him but I'd be wanting a very, very thorough look at last summer's recruitment and be asking quite serious questions about the head of recruitment and technical director roles (the last, Dan Ashworth, was brought in on a fair salary from the FA).

Warnock like Rednap and managers like Sam Allydyce's times are up, as it's relatively a young mans game now.
With new brighter ideas of how the game should be played.
Warnock's brought three teams up from the Championship. A better record than the young men

I don’t bet and never bothered to understand odds - are those likely odds?

It works by having the odds expressed as A/B where in this case A=9 and B=2

Convert it into a percentage by having (B/A+B) x 100

(2/11) x 100 = 18.18% of it happening according to the bookies.

I like how your Hughes defence is one big C&P job :D

Would be delighted if Hughton got the scum gig, can't see it though.
I don't like Hughes. I just know he has a good record.

Did you expect me to know his entire managerial record off the top of my head? Lol.

Warnock's brought three teams up from the Championship. A better record than the young men

Warnock is a genius in the championship. Took Cardiff from relegations zone to EPL in just over 18 months. It wasn’t a promotion but the time he saved rotherham from relegation was remarkable as they were as good as down when he took over.

Warnock is a genius in the championship. Took Cardiff from relegations zone to EPL in just over 18 months. It wasn’t a promotion but the time he saved rotherham from relegation was remarkable as they were as good as down when he took over.
Hughton seems to be the same. His season with Newcastle was a cakewalk, over 100 points

I'm shocked that it's people that have seen Brighton play this season that are the ones that post the most realistic points of view here.

Brighton are my local club and I know a lot of Brighton fans. Most of them are pleasantly surprised at his sacking. He lost the feeding room weeks ago, the defenders loved him, the forwards didn’t as he was too defensively minded.

The board were fed up with the amount of money he spent on players that didn’t either fit the system or were just rubbish. Yes, the board gave him the money and they were worried about giving him more in the summer transfer window.

Tony Bloom is an astute business man as well as a good poker player

Back