Steven Gerrard on creating an elite environment at Ibrox and his confidence for the future

dh1963

Rangers gaffer Steven Gerrard has given an insight into the behind-the-scenes changes he’s made in his debut season at the club.
Gers stunned the football world this summer by appointing the Liverpool legend as boss.
And he’s made progress on the park, with Gers securing second place and beating rivals Celtic twice at Ibrox.

Gerrard admits he’s disappointed not to guide the Light Blues to a trophy.
But speaking about improvements off the pitch, he told Rangers TV: “We’ve come in and tried to freshen things up, so we’ve tried to improve the training ground in the important areas.
“We’re trying to create an elite environment and with all due respect the place had become a little bit tired in certain areas.
“I think when we’re trying to attract players and sign players and also re-motivate the players that we inherited, it’s important that they see we are trying to make the place better.

“We have put in a brand new canteen and eating facilities, we’ve improved the gym so the fitness side of it as well.
“We’ve put a full-time doctor in, more physio and more masseurs. We’ve also introduced cryotherapy which helps with recovery. So the sports science department and the fitness and physio areas all got better.

“In the summer we’ll improve other areas of the training ground. There’s obviously a Desso pitch in now and we’ve made it more private so we can train in peace.

“So there’s a lot of work gone on here and there’s work about to start at Ibrox to make that a better place and to freshen it up and re-energise it.
“I’m really happy and pleased with the progress off the pitch.

“There’s a board meeting on the horizon as well, so we’ll get a flavour of how we’ve done from a financial point of view, but that’s not really my concern. Mine is to worry about what happens on the pitch.
“In terms of that, I think the squad is better and the team is better. We have made some progress and we have improved.
“I’m satisfied at the moment but at the same time I’m disappointed that we haven’t rewarded the supporters with a trophy.
“So from the trophy side of it we fell short and we have to be honest and open about that and analyse it.
“But in terms of where the team and the squad is now, 12 months in, I’m actually quietly pleased.

“When I came in I was hopeful, now I’m confident and really looking forward to producing.”
Gerrard’s Gers reached the Europa League group stage but were knocked out of the League Cup and Scottish Cup by Derek McInnes’ Aberdeen.
He added: “For me, I was in no doubt about the size of the challenge and the magnitude of what I was coming into.
That hasn’t surprised me and I’ve really enjoyed the ride.

“There have been some incredible highs and there have been some bumps and bruises and cruel lows along the way as well. I expected that.
“But the buzz I’ve got, the adrenaline and the confidence and hunger to go and make it better and build on the progress we’ve made, I’m sitting here really excited.”

Never been any doubts over the way he talks, his passion, knowledge and professionalism. Clearly turning Auchenhowie and Ibrox into what it should be - the best facilities possible to help improve the team/squad/reserves/youngsters...

Last 6 weeks/games have been positive. That and the European run. Not really interested in where we failed - what's done is done. We move on, forward.

Head into a massive summer in which we must add quality and improve the starting 11. Then hit the ground running.

Reading that just gave me butterflies in my stomach. The actual thought of winning 55 being so near because of him will be the single greatest experience I will have had as a Rangers fan.

We’ve been disappointed so many times before but I 100% believe in him.

Never been any doubts over the way he talks, his passion, knowledge and professionalism. Clearly turning Auchenhowie and Ibrox into what it should be - the best facilities possible to help improve the team/squad/reserves/youngsters...

Last 6 weeks/games have been positive. That and the European run. Not really interested in where we failed - what's done is done. We move on, forward.

Head into a massive summer in which we must add quality and improve the starting 11. Then hit the ground running.

That's quite the turnaround. You were calling for him to be sacked a couple of months ago.

That's quite the turnaround. You were calling for him to be sacked a couple of months ago.

I've always gone with the first part of my post. The last 6 weeks have been encouraging - even although changes were forced upon Gerrard, he's got it spot on. Prior to that there were questions to be asked and rightly so. I'm not away to get into them because the season is done.

We've ended it on a high. Now we focus on the summer recruitment and winning trophies next season - which are a must.

I watched all the interviews yesterday with SG, Mark Allen, Stewart Robertson and Craig Mulholland - combine that with the heart and hand interview with Michael Beale and you can’t help but not be excited about our future, there’s a clear and structured plan in place all the way through the club with a lot of skilled people in the right positions.

I watched all the interviews yesterday with SG, Mark Allen, Stewart Robertson and Craig Mulholland - combine that with the heart and hand interview with Michael Beale and you can’t help but not be excited about our future, there’s a clear and structured plan in place all the way through the club with a lot of skilled people in the right positions.
This exactly....whereas the fiddlers are a mishmash of differing coaches and backroom staff from 3 different first team managers!!!

This Club deserves first class and is tragic it was neglected by arseholes.

Stevie brings his class behind the scenes and we are starting to have a proper elite modern environment again which will attract the best. Looking forward to the upcoming further improvements.

Stevie G and his backroom staff have transformed our football club. I can't imagine there will have been many on here who were worried going in to the old firm game last Sunday. Compare and contrast to last year. While I was always hopeful that we would get a result, I was never confident, and we were generally outplayed in those matches, although we occasionally showed heart. Right now, we look like the better team. There seems to be a real togetherness and belief in the squad at the moment. What's really impressing me is the fact that Mr Gerrard has achieved this without having had access to the proverbial "war chest" (we've spent next to nothing). He clearly wants to prove himself as a manager on merit. He gets the club and it's traditions. He will bring us trophies and I am very hopeful that he can bring the league title back to Ibrox next year. #55 #Let's Go!

We’ve a big summer ahead. Still plenty of deadwood to be chopped from the squad.

We must still be pissing away a small fortune on players contributing nothing.

Reading between the “lines “,sounds like the gaffer is not here for the short term,—hope I’m correct.

I love having him as our manager. He has sorted out an absolute mess of a team in just under a year. I know it can be hard to face the reality of a trophy less season but this had to be done in order for us to move forward. Steven Gerrard is a winner its that simple.

Always thought my man love for Laudrup was of the scale but Gerrard has well taken over that mantle

Our club will feel the benefits of Steven Gerrard for many years after he has moved on. People just want to hear about new signings and so in but these improvements behind the scenes are every bit as vital.

Sports science is playing a huge part in the modern game. Especially when a team are trying to play the way we are aiming for. Optimum fitness levels are a must when we are looking to press teams quickly and efficiently.

Also having world class facilities and equipment can also help attract a better calibre of player who are already used to such facilities previously.

All the building blocks are being placed nicely in to position by our gaffer and his team.

We will win 55 next season. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind about that, and this is coming from a bit of a pessimist.

It’s all looking good, after years of total mismanagement of the club we are finally on the right track. If we can recruit wisely this summer then we have a real genuine chance of winning the league.
Last season nobody in their right mind thought we could win....now most of us think we can, it’s a huge turnaround in 12 months.

Full confidence in him and he’ll have learned a lot this year.

Still find it odd when you see Rangers ‘fans’ strain every sinew to point out faults in the guy.

Read that earlier about Gerrard wanting to create an "elite environment". It made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Love it.

Great piece. What i like is the talk of re-newing favilities putting in new canteen etc. Grass roots stuff sounds like he wants to be here for the long haul

From posting "Time to go" to this, in a matter of weeks.

FF in a nutshell.

We have to be consistent in our backing. Times have been tough at certain points during the season but we simply have to back the man over a period of time.

You canny no have a massive man crush on the gaffer, looks absolute stunning in a suit, our club tie, and the brown brogues... “Elite Environment” - and it’ll be the only one in our wee shite country.

From posting "Time to go" to this, in a matter of weeks.

FF in a nutshell.

We have to be consistent in our backing. Times have been tough at certain points during the season but we simply have to back the man over a period of time.

The last 6 games have been positive. The domestic season prior to that wasn't good enough. One game left and the season is done, there is no point sitting worrying about what could have been. We have to look forward. Who knows how it would have panned out had Kent and Morelos not picked up suspensions but we've found the right balance and that's shown in performances and results.

Big summer ahead. Gerrard and his players must deliver next season. That means a league title.

Back