Ryan Jack - Love him, but..

CupidStunt

Was chatting about this last night to my uncle. We (Rangers fans) talk a lot about having two or three first team players coming in to really turn this squad into a title winning squad, there's really a universal opinion - that I agree with - that says we need these two or three players to be first picks so who would they dislodge?

I see these players as LB, CM and CAM. The first explains itself, takes the LB role which nobody has nailed down. The CAM role would be Ryan Kent and if we don't get him then someone of that ilk creatively. (Obv a fourth is a striker if we lose Alfie)

The CM role though has me thinking who makes way? To really become that squad that not only challenges for the league but takes it down needs a team that consistently hits 8-9/10 across the board say 70% of the time. Although Jack is capable of that level of performance, I'm not sure if he's capable of that level of consistency.

Davis and Kamara are, I can see that but I'm not sure if Jack is.

He can be a motm, he can be a 8/10 9/10 or 10/10 but looking back he's probably a 7/10 more consistently, with the occasional burst into the top range.

Im starting to think he's the one that could be at risk. Would we be a better team with a midfield three of Davis, Kamara and say a Lucas Leiva / Sebastian Rudy / Steven Zuber / Thomas Delenay / Jordan Veretout (all of which I see as achievable signings) and would their quality be able to hit that 8-9-10/10 consistently level that Jack doesn't.

Listen I love the guy, he's been brilliant for us and maybe I'm wrong but I think Davis and Kamara have the ability to be higher performers consistently - and this isn't to say Jack can't be a high performer, I just doubt the ability of that level consistently.

Been a great signing up til now. But what about from now?

Consistent 7/10 each week players are something we haven't had a lot of in the past few years. We're going to need players like him if we're to make a serious title challenge next year.

I expect that Jordan Rossiter will begin to replace Jack in some of our games next season, whether it be cup games or whatever, and will graduate into the role on the following seasons.

Was chatting about this last night to my uncle. We (Rangers fans) talk a lot about having two or three first team players coming in to really turn this squad into a title winning squad, there's really a universal opinion - that I agree with - that says we need these two or three players to be first picks so who would they dislodge?

I see these players as LB, CM and CAM. The first explains itself, takes the LB role which nobody has nailed down. The CAM role would be Ryan Kent and if we don't get him then someone of that ilk creatively. (Obv a fourth is a striker if we lose Alfie)

The CM role though has me thinking who makes way? To really become that squad that not only challenges for the league but takes it down needs a team that consistently hits 8-9/10 across the board say 70% of the time. Although Jack is capable of that level of performance, I'm not sure if he's capable of that level of consistency.

He can be a motm, he can be a 8/10 9/10 or 10/10 but looking back he's probably a 7/10 more consistently, with the occasional burst into the top range.

Im starting to think he's the one that could be at risk. Would we be a better team with a midfield three of Davis, Kamara and say a Lucas Leiva / Sebastian Rudy / Steven Zuber / Thomas Delenay / Jordan Veretout (all of which I see as achievable signings) and would their quality be able to hit that 8-9-10/10 consistently level that Jack doesn't.

Listen I love the guy, he's been brilliant for us and maybe I'm wrong but I think Davis and Kamara have the ability to be higher performers consistently - and this isn't to say Jack can't be a high performer, I just doubt the ability of that level consistently.

I respect your opinion, but I still can’t fathom the lowering opinion of RJ from our support.

Have we been watching the same games this season? In my opinion, he’s consistently performed as our best all-round centre midfielder since Walter’s last seasons. Defending (interceptions, covering Tav, man marking) and attacking (goal on the 29th, some unreal weighted through-balls in various games) have been outstanding.

I expect that Jordan Rossiter will begin to replace Jack in some of our games next season, whether it be cup games or whatever, and will graduate into the role on the following seasons.
Why do you expect that mate? Rossiter has done nothing to suggest he is as good as Jack so far

I think he is a great player and totally under estimated

Jack will play more often than not, Gerrard loves him .

We are hopefully going to have a lot of games to play next season and Davis fitness can’t be relied on over the course of a season,
We have also had 3-4 months good performances out of Kamara so let’s see how he does over the next few years.

Jack has performed well since he signed rarely has a bad game he is one of the first names on the Team sheet.

Every player should have someone breathing down their neck to push them that extra level.
But as has been said on here so many times of late, what you get with Ryan Jack is the game time you don't see. He is a very intelligent player off the ball and does that supporting role very very well; he is the engine that keeps Davis and Kamara ticking over

Thomas Delaney has been playing very well for Dortmund and there’s no way we could even touch him. Rudy isn’t achievable either. The others, maybe.

Why do you expect that mate? Rossiter has done nothing to suggest he is as good as Jack so far

Gerrard said that Rossiter was the most impressive player at training when he was fit.
I suspect he has big plans for him, and now that he has been playing consistently, I expect we will see a lot more of him in the first team.

Jack is one of the main picks of Gerrard and he will continue to be. He's been superb in the role he plays for us. Donkey work, getting back and recycling the ball. Future captain.

If you asked me 8 games ago re Jack then I would have said we needed better quality in Jacks position if we are to win this league.

Fast forward a couple of months and a change in formation and he is doing very well. He was extremely effective on Sunday. Just quietly took up the correct positions and kept it simple.

I like Jack and certainly think he does a job. But I also think we need a better player than him in beside Davis and kamara.

Gerrard said that Rossiter was the most impressive player at training when he was fit.
I suspect he has big plans for him, and now that he has been playing consistently, I expect we will see a lot more of him in the first team.
He said that Rossiter and Docherty were the most physically impressive, he gave Rossiter a few chances off the back of this and felt he didn’t take them

Zero trophies in the past couple of years. Jack has been part of that.

Clean slate in pre-season. Jack should in no way be guaranteed a start next season.

Jack is playing well but the OP is correct.

We can't all agree we are 2/3 players of real quality away from winning the league then simultaneously argue that no one should be dropped next season.

If we are to improve in midfield, then Jack would be the obvious candidate of the 3 currently playing there to drop out imo.

He said that Rossiter and Docherty were the most physically impressive, he gave Rossiter a few chances off the back of this and felt he didn’t take them

Assume you spoke to Gerrard regarding this, as you know his opinions on Rossiter?

What you have said quite frankly is not true.

The true series of events were -

Rossiter was flying pre season and receiving praise from SG.
Rossiter receives an unrelated injury.
By the time he was then fit again we were underachieving in the league and couldn't afford him the time to get back upto speed, so allowed him out on loan to do so.

I like Jack, always have. Defended him on here but the OP is right.

We still need more goals from midfield. Arfield is producing the goods from a more advanced position but none of Davis, Kamara or Jack carry a goal threat. At least one of them has to.

We should always try to better ourselves and the players we have so I’m a bit confused by some of the posts on here. Too much emotional attachment to players.

Theres not one player I would mind being replaced if it was a better player, surely thats the mindset of everyone?

Definitely a position that could do with upgrading.
I think Jack is a good steady SPL level player, and I do like him, but feel he's just not quite good enough to be a first pick every week in a title winning side.

Definitely a position that could do with upgrading.
I think Jack is a good steady SPL level player, and I do like him, but feel he's just not quite good enough to be a first pick every week in a title winning side.
This, all day long.

Jack, Kamara, Davis and Arfield complement each other so well and offer the perfect balance to our midfield and attack.

I've not been impressed with our midfield since the days of Thomson, Mendes and Davis, that was just absolutely starting to settle and boss sides until Thomson picked up his injury.

Jack was outstanding on Sunday, he goes about his business quietly and effectively. His closing down and breaking up of play allowed Kamara and Davis time and space.

Jack is a safe pair of hands and has earned a right to be in our midfield pool. Whether he is an automatic first pick, I think we can improve on him with someone who can bring more to the team.

I know we scored plenty over the season but for me we have too many that don't contribute enough. I don't see Davis or Kamara as contributing that many so for me that means the 3rd midfielder in there needs to be contributing ~10 goals a season.

RJ has got a few now but will need to build upon that. One thing that is for sure is that there is nobody in our current first team squad that would replace him, maybe to rest him but not on a permanent basis.

What do people want from a defensive/screening midfielder?

He covers every blade. Sniffs our dangers. Recycled possession. Offers some dig in the tackle.

I’m a bit perplexed as to this wave of negativity surrounding Jack’s role.

He is brilliant when things are going well, my worry is if we go through a bad patch he will just hide.

I think as a squad player though he is exactly what you need to win titles.

Back