Morelos says ‘as soon as there is something official I will be announcing it’ with ‘many’ clubs interested

So it begins. Love him as a player, however there is an argument the team is better and more settled without him. We can get a lot of money for him and used wisely we can strengthen the first team. Rangers first and foremost for me.

Have to say I disagree with your argument albeit I accept there is an argument.
To me, the improvement is down to the midfield system & not Defoe v Alfie.
The reality is that none of us can prove either way because Alfie’s time in that new system has been very limited.

They'll be no bidding war.

Rangers will except a certain figure & any clubs interested will only have to meet that.

Morelos (or his agent) will then seek the best deal that suits his ambitions & pockets.
I can live with that. Every player has their price, and so long as we get what we feel is right; sell, sell, sell. Especially when its clear the player is now looking to move on.

All the best Alfredo, i wish you well. You've served us well and will fetch a tidy sum.

Been a better team lately with Defoe up front . Always worried about Alfie getting sent off .We need a full team on the park to win the title .Makes sence to cash in on him .Wish the wee man all the best for the future hope he smashes it wherever he ends up .

It’s not really. Celtic just strolled to an 8th championship in a row with the cigars out and are on course for a treble - treble. It’s not exactly competitive is it?

He didn't exactly do a lot to stop it, did he? It's the kind of comment you make having won all the trophies and have nothing left to achieve in the league.

He didn't need to sign a new contract with us, one which guarantees us more money when he goes. He goes with my best wishes.
Exactly this. As soon as he signed, I viewed that as his parting 'thank you' to us.

He has his obvious faults, but in the main, his time at Rangers will be viewed very favourably, especially if we get the big dough that is hopefully coming our way. We get that, he gets far higher wages, everyone's a winner.

Gutted he is going but inevitable. Several clubs being interested does enhance the price. Might not be a public bidding war but it will be going on in private. Also inflated the bids generally when buyers know that there is competition.

I’d guess that we will get £20-25mill. He is a much better player than Dembele and that is the yardstick. Buyers know that. If there was limited interest then someone might try being cheeky but, with competition, our baseline will be met.

Sell on is the interesting thing. We definitely need one. In a stronger league and without the appalling refereeing, the sky is the limit for Morelos. He could easily go for mega-millions even without hitting true heights.

His relative lack of pace is his only downside. That will probably mean that he will never Star for a truly top tier side. But he will have a career one level down. Even at the very worst, if you are a struggling Premiership club, he is exactly the player you want - able to lead a forward line completely by himself and shield the ball long enough to clear your lines. Given the finances down there, a bottom EPL club could easily pay mega millions for him in a few years.

Excellent summary SA & agree on his pace too.
I’m not as optimistic as you on the fee, but obviously hope you are right.

The money is more important to us than the player.

He was always leaving. No way was he spending another season in this backwater.

His departure and the money we will get in is the best thing for all parties.

Bit harsh mate, can’t blame the boy for wanting the best possible life for him and his family

I didn't blame him. Like any player, he has to weigh up financial gain versus what's good for his career. And the two are not always the same. However, as Michael Beale says in the H & H interview, you can have the house, the car, the girlfriend and also be a top player. But it requires careful managing by the player, agent, coaching staff, etc.

The reality is that none of us can prove either way because Alfie’s time in that new system has been very limited.
Fair points. Gerrard has tried to match opponents physically, but that has been stimied by referees hammering us. Our centre forward now is no longer engaging the opposing centre half's, instead drawing them out of position. As much as I love Alfredo, he is far from irreplaceable.

He didn't exactly do a lot to stop it, did he? It's the kind of comment you make having won all the trophies and have nothing left to achieve in the league.

You said it was a weird thing to say, but it’s true, so what’s weird about it? It’s probably the least competitive league in Europe.

I think it’s weird to state that our 29 goal striker who carried the team for most of the season, didn’t do a lot to stop it. An accusation fit for most of the rest of the team (when it really mattered of course, not to be fooled by the upturn in form after the chance of silverware had gone).

Last edited:
Watford looking to spend in the summer he could easily drop down to 3rd/4th choice striker.

Would imagine we'd look to pay a portion of his wage.

We brought in 14m in unexpected Euro revenue this summer and we have huge interest in Tav and Morelos which could bring in another huge windfall. We have funds to push the boat out this summer.

I really don't want us to sell Tav.

You said it was a weird thing to say, but it’s true, so what’s weird about it? It’s probably the least competitive league in Europe.

I think it’s weird to state that our 29 goal striker who carried the team for most of the season, didn’t do a lot to stop it. An accusatory for most of the rest of the team (when it really mattered of course, not to be fooled by the upturn in form after the chance of silverware had gone).

I don't think it is true. I certainly don't think it's a wise comment to make after 2 years in the league with no trophies and not even a goal against Celtic to show for it.

I don't think there's much in the way of collective responsibility in his interview so I'm sure Alfie would agree with the second part of your comment.

Fair points. Gerrard has tried to match opponents physically, but that has been stimied by referees hammering us. Our centre forward now is no longer engaging the opposing centre half's, instead drawing them out of position. As much as I love Alfredo, he is far from irreplaceable.

Don’t disagree. I’ve loved watching him. Loved it. Matches like Rapid & Maribor at home ? Can’t remember better overall all round performances from a Rangers striker to be honest in many years.
But the club is bigger than any man. Always will be. And Steven & his team will take us on that 55 Express to our desired destination. :D

Doesn't sound good does it, was hoping for another season. If Bournemouth recall Defoe then we're screwed

I don't think it is true. I certainly don't think it's a wise comment to make after 2 years in the league with no trophies and not even a goal against Celtic to show for it.

I don't think there's much in the way of collective responsibility in his interview so I'm sure Alfie would agree with the second part of your comment.

Yeah but I don’t get why that’s not wise. It’s not competitive, just because he’s part of one of the teams who has failed to compete doesn’t make it wrong, especially when he individually did more than anyone to keep us more or less respectable for a while.

His lack of silverware whilst here only further backs up his view point, because one Club is winning it all.

Yeah but I don’t get why that’s not wise. It’s not competitive, just because he’s part of one of the teams who has failed to compete doesn’t make it wrong, especially when he individually did more than anyone to keep us more or less respectable for a while.

His lack of silverware whilst here only further backs up his view point, because one Club is winning it all.

A bit of humility never goes amiss.

As much of a loss Morelos would be talent wise, I believe we play better football as a team without him.
If we could get say £16 million plus sell on fee, I'd be happy sanctioning £4-6mill of that on Kent 5 year deal, and another striker and number 10 tallying up to £10 million and allow the board to keep the other £6 million profit for overheads and wages etc.
That's before the season ticket cash that is to be used in its entirety to the squad is brought nto the equation.
Buy a centre half from that possibly 2 and we'll be looking strong.

Sad to see him go, and I’m gutted he never got to score against them.

On the up side though, if this is the way we operate moving forward we will be in a stronger position than ever before.

Talent WILL sign for the manager as he’s shown he can give them a platform to fulfil their ambitions whilst playing for the best fans in the land.

Not every player with potential will live up to it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if players joining with aspirations to move end up staying for a few years.

The selling of Morelos marks another new chapter for the bears and will be the catalyst for success on and off the pitch.

A bit of humility never goes amiss.

He said the he wants to play in a more competitive league. He’s not shown any lack or humility nor is humility relevant! He’s simply stated something that is absolutely undeniably true.

I’d imagine he’ll know by this point that the club would rather cash in on him too.

He didn't need to sign a new contract with us, one which guarantees us more money when he goes. He goes with my best wishes.

Let's be honest though, he was never going to run down the remaining 3/4 years of his old contract and go on a bosman anyway. It's a no brainer for any young player in form to sign an improved extended contract. More money in the short-medium term and he's going to get his move regardless. That's before taking into account the possibility of suffering a career threatening injury and being on the old contract and thus poorer money. I get that the wee man has done us a turn and will make us a significant fee when he goes, but we've also made him an incredibly wealthy young man (certainly by South American standards) in the short time that he's been with us, as well as giving him the springboard to a more glamorous and better paid league. Some folk go on as if he's got a king Billy tattoo, he's going to look after himself at the end of the day (understandably) and goes with our best wishes.

You could theoretically make the case he owes us another year because of his indiscipline this season rather than jump the first chance he gets to go elsewhere especially if his lack of football the past two months knocks a few quid off the value

Gerrard has went to bat for him constantly this season, gave him TWO new contracts inside a year and taken his game to another level.

That said, he's more replaceable than say Tav is and it's probably best all round if he goes elsewhere. He's been a wonderful piece of business by the club and we're going to make an absolute killing on him.

I really hope he sorts out the temperament and grasps the chance he's got here. His ability can take him as far as he wants.

He said the he wants to play in a more competitive league. He’s not shown any lack or humility nor is humility relevant! He’s simply stated something that is absolutely undeniably true.

I’d imagine he’ll know by this point that the club would rather cash in on him too.

Maybe you're a younger Bear but I'd take 'I want to play in a more competitive league' from, say, Brian Laudrup (and even Laudrup never said it) but it's more difficult to accept from a player who has won nothing for us, hasn't even scored against Celtic and seems more concerned about his own personal achievements over a season than Celtic winning a Treble every year.

Still, he wants more competition.

We'll agree to disagree.

We will be very lucky to get +£15m now imo after taking into consideration his disciplinary record and the fact it seems he wants to go.

I think £12m is a more realistic figure.

I think there's no doubt the midfield has improved, but Defoe offers attributes that Morelos doesn't and possibly won't ever have.

I appreciate what i'm about to say is all conjecture, but this is just how I see it. Defoe's dummy on Sunday, Alfie brings that in to try and turn and shoot.

Arfield's hattrick at Motherwell, I don't think Alfie lays it on a plate like Defoe did.

I think Alfie is powerful, raw and emotional and sometimes his emotions can remove clarity, whereas Defoe is cool and composed and has the class and experience to know when to make the right decisions.

I'll miss Alfie, and i've no doubt that his contributions when he didn't score will be missed, but then that's the job of management to bring someone else in that will dampen that loss.

Not overly fussed and I’m more than happy for him to go providing it’s the right price.

Keeping Tavernier and signing Kent permanently are much more important than keeping hold of Morelos.

Maybe you're a younger Bear but I'd take 'I want to play in a more competitive league' from, say, Brian Laudrup (and even Laudrup never said it) but it's more difficult to accept from a player who has won nothing for us, hasn't even scored against Celtic and seems more concerned about his own personal achievements over a season than Celtic winning a Treble every year.

Still, he wants more competition.

We'll agree to disagree.

Sadly not a young bear. I mean I don’t think any of that actually makes sense or has any relevance, but sure, we’ll agree to disagree on this one.

If Alfie goes , i hope its sooner rather than later . Give us a bit of time to get a couple of strikers in for pre season if possible. The last thing we want is a transfer saga rumbling on when we will have important europa ties to negotiate.

I'd like to see a televised auction - Homes under the hammer or Flog It style.

They could have SG and DK standing at the back and showing their reactions as the bids go up.

If it went really well it could finish up Fools and Horses style:))

Wants to play in a more competitive league. Odd thing to say from a player who is yet to win anything for Rangers.

It's a diplomatic way to say that he wants to move on but if he isn't transferred this summer he won't have burnt any bridges with the club or supporters.

This is bang on the money. We have two excellent strikers. The big change though has been the system and having Arfield further forward tucking inside supporting the striker. Both of them will benefit from this system

Let's be honest though, he was never going to run down the remaining 3/4 years of his old contract and go on a bosman anyway. It's a no brainer for any young player in form to sign an improved extended contract. More money in the short-medium term and he's going to get his move regardless. That's before taking into account the possibility of suffering a career threatening injury and being on the old contract and thus poorer money. I get that the wee man has done us a turn and will make us a significant fee when he goes, but we've also made him an incredibly wealthy young man (certainly by South American standards) in the short time that he's been with us, as well as giving him the springboard to a more glamorous and better paid league. Some folk go on as if he's got a king Billy tattoo, he's going to look after himself at the end of the day (understandably) and goes with our best wishes.

He goes with best wishes from me whenever that happens.

If we can get good money for him and bring in Kent permanently along with Andre Gray then feck me thst would be great business.

Back