Eros Grezda

That's not a sitter.

He's about 16 yards out. He has to take it first time because he's getting shut down by a defender and the ball is fired at him fast.

There's also numerous bodies between him and the goal.

Never mind a sitter it's not even a particularly good chance.

The ball wasnt fired at him fast.

I don’t think Gredza will even make the cut for the pre season training camp. Still hold out hope for Barisic but maybe I’m just too optimistic

There’s a case for Barisic.

But can you imagine him being part of the side that beat Celtic there? I can’t.

I don't think Barisic in his current state would have done as well as Flanagan, definitely not. He does seem to get beaten by power and pace on his side, aswell as being vulnerable to players cutting in.

He offers more in attack though, and is naturally left-footed so the way I see it, we either keep Barisic for matches against sides more likely to sit in (probably 9 or 10 of the 12 top tier teams) and for Europe, or keep him as an emergency out-and-out left winger. I don't think he's strong enough defensively.

Grezda actually has decent movement and can find pockets of space but hasn't shown enough - the worry is he needs a run of games to show what he has, and I can't see him displacing a fully fit Arfield, Kent or Murphy in the current formation.

same place as Coulibaly, Frozen out

although Coulibaly was at Ibrox on sunday, I don't know what Grezdas excuse is, he is fit

Not sure if he was there on Sunday but he was definitely at the Hibs game the week previous. Lee Wallace gave him a lift.

If Barisic can stay fit after a good pre season, he's definitely worth a try as I think there's a very good player in there who gives us balance. If he continues to be stop start like this season though, I'd get rid. Grezda on the other hand should be shown the door at the earliest opportunity. He's never impressed and the guy doesn't even look interested in playing football, more focused on what designer gear the wages we are paying him can buy.

same place as Coulibaly, Frozen out

although Coulibaly was at Ibrox on sunday, I don't know what Grezdas excuse is, he is fit
Coulibaly's not frozen out in the same way as Barisic and Grezda. He's not shirked a tackle or played funny buggers and I don't doubt for a minute that he's doing his best and is frustrated at the position he finds himself in.

We've just found players who are far, far better than him. He's nowhere near as good as Davis, Arfield, Kamara or Jack.

I thank Lassana for all his effort. The boy has never hidden and he was an improvement on what we had to suffer under the previous two managers. I don't know about French football, I've never watched it, but he has a future and can make a few bob for himself running about with an English League 1 side. Good luck to him.

Never was a fan, but I thought he was very good against Motherwell in the 7-1 game.

Other than that there been no positives at all

Had to unfollow him on Instagram, he just looks like a dick in most of the pictures and it reminds me we spent 2m on this guy.

I’d be shocked if we ever end up paying a full £2m.

He’ll be nowhere near the appearances or performance triggers for full payment.

Hastie, Jones and possibly Stewart arriving means the writing is on the wall. Kent leaving might earn him a short reprieve

There’s a case for Barisic.

But can you imagine him being part of the side that beat Celtic there? I can’t.

Imagine Barisic is presented with the same opportunity of a 50/50 that Flanno was.
Flanno is in about it 100% wins the ball and through the man and wins back possession.
I imagine Barisic would mouse out of it, back off and we would be on the back foot as Rogic drives through middle of the park.

Barisic needs to get to this level of determination and hunger otherwise he's no good to us.

Imagine Barisic is presented with the same opportunity of a 50/50 that Flanno was.
Flanno is in about it 100% wins the ball and through the man and wins back possession.
I imagine Barisic would mouse out of it, back off and we would be on the back foot as Rogic drives through middle of the park.

Barisic needs to get to this level of determination and hunger otherwise he's no good to us.

you could flip that and say - imagine Barasic being presented with the same opportunity as Flanno on the left hand side just outside the oppositions box - he could swing in an excellent cross for Defoe to put away.

I agree that Barasic needs to "toughen up" or show more desire - but he is never going to be flying into tackles like Flannagan does.

The lad has ability but likes the bright lights too much it seems , you need guts and determination to make it at Ibrox we have seen plenty of players come and go who don’t have the necessary.

He is contracted for another 3 years and his stock is low. I’d be shocked if he’s not in pre-season and with the new competition coming in I’d be shocked if he didn’t realise it’s in his own interest to work his socks off and prove some people wrong. He does have ability.

I would give Grezda pre season to see how he does. Gerrard will know far more than us. He hasn't been good enough so far, but how many times do we sell players cheap and then realise we didn't give them enough time?.

As for Barasic he deserves a full year, hes been injured. He will have to work his way back into the team as Flanagan is now in front of him in my opinion. Barasic is a Croatian international, he must get a bit more time to adapt to the league.

I think SG's opinion of him was cemented in that bounce game we played v Liverpool youth team.
He didn't name names as such, but he indicated that those 'not up for the fight/challenge' were surplus to requirements.
This sums Grezda up completely.
A real disappointment as he came with such big hopes.

I keep thinking about what Cristian Panucci said about him- that he was a £20m player. Admittedly we've not seen it but not sure someone with the standing in the game of Panucci would say something like that just because.
I'm old enough to remember the first games of Mikhailichenko and he looked awful. His pedigree was considerably higher than Grezda's but a lot of our fans had already written him off.
Patience is not our collective strong point however lets see what pre-season brings before confining him to the bin.
It's a cliché, but it's a big change and the points for driving show that.
Time to adjust.

As someone who has driven all over the world it makes me laugh seeing the comments on this page. What we consider a reckless driver would be seen as a bit of pussy. Some drivers on here just wouldn't be capable of a left turn in certain parts of the world.

He might be moved on or he might just surprise us all.

I'm not getting the "give him a pre-season" point some are making?

What difference does a pre-season make to a guy who's already been here for months on end and had plenty time to integrate with the squad, build match fitness, etc?

The bottom line has to be that Gerrard will have a good sense by now of whether Grezda is up to the challenge and somebody he wants at Rangers. A pre-season doesn't do anything other than extend the period he's being given to earn a place.

I'm not saying he should go or anything, maybe SG does want him about or want to give him more time, but in all honesty I don't think a pre-season is saying anything other than give him until Christmas when the next chance to offload him if he's still not making the team will come round.

you could flip that and say - imagine Barasic being presented with the same opportunity as Flanno on the left hand side just outside the oppositions box - he could swing in an excellent cross for Defoe to put away.

I agree that Barasic needs to "toughen up" or show more desire - but he is never going to be flying into tackles like Flannagan does.

Absolutely.
However I think we seen from the majority of the season this approach yields inconsistency.
Lost count of the amount of balls fired in from wide both left and right side and as good a delivery as some of them were, 9 times out of 10 it's fired towards Morelos up against 4 handy strong defenders which plays right into their hands.
So probably scored 1 from every 100 of these types of situations.

We are much better suited to our current approach of more focus on through middle, 1-2's, movement and generally more play on the deck.
Flanno/Barisic 1st job is to defend so that should be the priority upon selection.

Barisic has a lot to offer sure, I just think our league is more suited to the more physical player so if Barisic can add this to his game then great but for me Flanno deserves to be 1st choice at moment.

I'm not getting the "give him a pre-season" point some are making?

What difference does a pre-season make to a guy who's already been here for months on end and had plenty time to integrate with the squad, build match fitness, etc?

The bottom line has to be that Gerrard will have a good sense by now of whether Grezda is up to the challenge and somebody he wants at Rangers. A pre-season doesn't do anything other than extend the period he's being given to earn a place.

I'm not saying he should go or anything, maybe SG does want him about or want to give him more time, but in all honesty I don't think a pre-season is saying anything other than give him until Christmas when the next chance to offload him if he's still not making the team will come round.
Pre season you get proper worked into shape no one is really ready to play so it’s basically a chance to start a fresh at a similar level to everyone else.

Look at Morelos after Pre season he was like a new man in great shape and it showed.

I’ve been quite supportive of him but now concede that crunch time has arrived. Get a decent pre-season under his belt and take it from there. If it doesn’t work out we probably won’t recover our fee but hopefully only with a small loss.

Latest posts

Back