Balancing the squad for next year

Sweet & Salty

I don't think it is any secret that we have a bloated squad but at the same time lack cover at centre back and up front should Morelos go. Below is a list of how our squad is shaping up for next season. Who do we sell, let go, loan out next season to balance the squad?

Goalkeepers
Allan McGregor, Wes Foderingham, Robbie McCrorie, Jak Alnwick, Andy Firth

Defenders
James Tavernier, Jon Flanagan, Borna Barišić, Connor Goldson, Nikola Katić, Andy Halliday

Central Midfielders
Graham Dorrans, Ryan Jack, Steven Davis, Ross McCrorie, Glen Kamara, Matt Polster, Jordan Rossiter, Greg Docherty, Jason Holt

Attacking Mids/ Wingers
Daniel Candeias, Eros Grezda, Scott Arfield, Glenn Middleton, Jamie Murphy, Jake Hastie, Jordan Jones

Forwards
Jermain Defoe, Kyle Lafferty, Alfredo Morelos, Ryan Hardie, Joe Dodoo, Eduardo Herrera

Youngsters
Zak Rudden, Dapo Medube, Josh McPake, Stephen Kelly

I realise a few people can play different positions before anyone moans where I have listed them. It should also be noted that the squad will be even more bloated if we do indeed add 2 or 3 quality players we are all hoping for.

Think Foderingham, Alnwick, Holt, Dodoo and Lafferty will go anyway.
Herrera contract till Jan I think.
Rumours abound about Barasic and Grezda.
Bids will come for Morelos and probably Tav. That may change things.

The likes of McCrorie, Rossiter, Docherty will depend on who we sign I think (loans).

Goalkeepers

Defenders
James Tavernier, Jon Flanagan, Borna Barišić, Connor Goldson, Nikola Katić, Andy Halliday

Central Midfielders
Graham Dorrans, Ryan Jack, Steven Davis, Ross McCrorie, Glen Kamara, Matt Polster, Jordan Rossiter, Greg Docherty, Jason Holt

Attacking Mids/ Wingers
Daniel Candeias, Eros Grezda, Scott Arfield, Glenn Middleton, Jamie Murphy, Jake Hastie, Jordan Jones

Forwards
Jermain Defoe, Kyle Lafferty, Alfredo Morelos, Ryan Hardie, Joe Dodoo, Eduardo Herrera

Youngsters

Ones in bold are most likley away.
In italics are most likley going to be loaned out.

I reckon we need
1 GK
2 CBs
1 winger
2 strikers

This assumes the Murphy, Dorrans, Rossiter can attribute to the season.

I appreciate they are listed but quite a few on that list are only Rangers players by name and contract now - the likes of Alnwick, Holt, Herrera, Dodooo, Hardie are out the door and don't need replaced.

I appreciate they are listed but quite a few on that list are only Rangers players by name and contract now - the likes of Alnwick, Holt, Herrera, Dodooo, Hardie are out the door and don't need replaced.
Thought Hardie got another year? Give him Kyle Lafferty's position ie 3rd striker who will get a good few chances

Don't think the squad will be that bloated after this summer. Pretty much all the players out on loan at the moment won't be here next season imo and I can see Grezda, Dorrans, Lafferty, etc. going too.

Lafferty,
Wes (Hope he stays),
Holt,
Dodoo, (Out of contract)
Herrera,
Dorrans,
Hardie (Out of contract)
Hodson (Out of contract)
Wallace (Out of Contract)
Worrall ( Loan finished)
Coulibally (Loan Finished)

Will all be away next season I reckon.

Rossiter, Docherty & Murphy will be back and competing for places. Grezda should be giving a little bit longer to prove himself or he could be off aswell.

Wes wants first team football and you can’t blame him so he will most probably leave.
Dorrans, Lafferty, Herrera, Dodoo and holt won’t be here.
We will get bids for Morelos, tav and Arfield so if we do sell any of them then they will get replaced.
Our things is from the team last week we still need 3 top players, a striker , attacking midfield and left back.
So unless we make money from sales we will need to get either very good bosmans or loan players, as we spent a bit last season.
Time will tell I suppose

Lafferty,
Wes (Hope he stays),
Holt,
Dodoo, (Out of contract)
Herrera,
Dorrans,
Hardie (Out of contract)
Hodson (Out of contract)
Wallace (Out of Contract)
Worrall ( Loan finished)
Coulibally (Loan Finished)

Will all be away next season I reckon.

Rossiter, Docherty & Murphy will be back and competing for places. Grezda should be giving a little bit longer to prove himself or he could be off aswell.
Dodoo and Hardie are contracted till 2020 from what I can tell. They could still easily leave though in fact they should for their careers.

I don't think it is any secret that we have a bloated squad but at the same time lack cover at centre back and up front should Morelos go. Below is a list of how our squad is shaping up for next season. Who do we sell, let go, loan out next season to balance the squad?

Goalkeepers
Allan McGregor, Wes Foderingham, Robbie McCrorie LOAN to SPL club Jak Alnwick SELL, Andy Firth

Defenders
James Tavernier, Jon Flanagan, Borna Barišić SELL Connor Goldson, Nikola Katić, Andy Halliday

Central Midfielders
Graham Dorrans SELL if possible Ryan Jack, Steven Davis, Ross McCrorie, Glen Kamara, Matt Polster, Jordan Rossiter LOAN to Championship club Greg Docherty LOAN to Championship club Jason Holt SELL

Attacking Mids/ Wingers
Daniel Candeias, Eros Grezda SELL Scott Arfield, Glenn Middleton, Jamie Murphy, Jake Hastie, Jordan Jones

Forwards
Jermain Defoe, Kyle Lafferty SELL , Alfredo Morelos SELL to fund upgrades, Ryan Hardie LOAN to SPL club, Joe Dodoo SELL Eduardo Herrera SELL

Youngsters
Zak Rudden, Dapo Medube, Josh McPake, Stephen Kelly LOAN all 4, preferably to SPL clubs

I realise a few people can play different positions before anyone moans where I have listed them. It should also be noted that the squad will be even more bloated if we do indeed add 2 or 3 quality players we are all hoping for.
As above

I think this summer we will finally be rid of all the deadwood that has plagued us for the last 2/3 years.

I think this summer we will finally be rid of all the deadwood that has plagued us for the last 2/3 years.
Fully agreed. Our squad will be leaner and resources better spent. It's all about signing those 6 or so players that make the difference.

Can we get at least 5 of them bang on?

Goalkeepers

McGregor is #1.

I like Wes and would like to keep him but he's already said he wants to be playing and isn't happy just being a #2 so he will go this summer. Been a good servant to he club.

McCrorie should go out on loan again for me, maybe to someone like Dundee.

If Wes goes I'd promote Alnwick to #2 with Firth as backup/third choice.

Defenders

For me it's important we keep Tav this summer. Provided we do we don't need to tinker too much at fullback.

Give Barisic one more season or until January at least. There is ability there which is the most important thing. Mentally you would hope he would grasp this is his big chance and he has to seize it.

Flanagan has the shirt just now but may end up being a squad player. Halliday is fine as backup.

Goldson and Katic need competition. Ideally we'd bring in 2 very good CB's but at a minimum we need one CB at the same level as them and one that's more for backup.

Central Midfielders

9 is too many.

Holt going leaves 8 which is still a bit bloated. A couple more need to be sold or put out on loan. Kamara, Davis and Jack should be exempt from this which leaves the gaffer with some difficult decisions to make regarding: Docherty, McCrorie, Dorrans, Rossiter and Polster. There's not enough room for all of them.

Attacking Mids/ Wingers

Again it's a bit bloated and that's excluding Greg Stewart who will probably join too.

We really need a quality #10 and if we can't get Kent back then we need someone who can dribble and go past a man too like he can.

Honestly I'd lose a few here to make space for more quality. Grezda can go. Middleton I'd put out on loan and if a bid came in for Candeias I wouldn't be against selling him.

Forwards

Defoe stays. The rest can go. If we do sell Morelos - and I suspect we will - I hope the deal is done early and doesn't drag on all summer.

We need to replace Morelos with quality and at a minimum bring in another striker too for backup.

Youngsters

Now is not the time for blooding youngsters imo.

All of the above would leave our squad looking something like:

Goalkeepers
Allan McGregor, Jak Alnwick, Andy Firth

Defenders

Central Midfielders
Graham Dorrans, Ryan Jack, Steven Davis, Glen Kamara, Matt Polster, Jordan Rossiter

Attacking Mids/ Wingers
Scott Arfield, Jamie Murphy, Jake Hastie, Jordan Jones

Forwards
Jermain Defoe,

That's 20 players. Add 2 new CB's, a #10, a Kent replacement and 2 ST's and we're at 26.

Back