Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

I have read online that at the time of the no disclosures, to keep Celtic FC name out of the public after the USA trip that the financial man behind this was in fact Liewell. So Liewell knew too? May I point out this is someone who is joining the dots. No hard evidence but dynamite if true. It would make a farce of the SPFL and the SFA also if true.

I want them to carry on down the separate entity route and eventually be sued for worse than compensation pay outs would be. However, my concern is that Mr Dornan and the rest of his bunch at the SNP will be pushing them for compo, whilst also resisting a public inquiry. The full things stinks, the SNP are standing strong defending them. Lets hope karma comes round for the animals.

There’s only one side to be on now, Dornan knows it’s not going away. Time to get on the right side of history fat Japanese.

Simple question.

If the boys club is a separate organisation and their club isn’t culpable, then why have their club gone to such lengths to cover this up for 3 decades?

Acts committed under previous leadership yes, but the cover up continued under the present regime. They should be taken to the cleaners, and quite honestly, put out of business both for allowing it to happen, for covering it up and for the complete lack of remorse shown towards the victims.

It’s not previous individuals or regimes the victims are seeking compensation from though, its the football club itself.

Desmond and the Fat Emperor can point their grubby fingers at this person or that, bleat that it was a different administration, it won’t make any difference - Celtic Football Club will be forced to compensate the victims.

Here is the full version , the typo Gerard Kind should have read Gerald King , I'm sure.

Marc Horne
May 16 2019, 12:01am, The Times
Jim McCafferty sentence: Legal action over child abuse is imminent, Celtic warned

Celtic FC will face a multimillion pound compensation claim “within months” unless it accepts responsibility for the paedophiles who preyed on young players, a senior lawyer has said.
The warning from Patrick McGuire, who has represented some of the victims, comes after Jim McCafferty, 73, a former club kitman and Celtic Boys Club coach, was jailed for six years and nine months after admitting that he had molested boys over 24 years.
The jail sentence is the third to be handed down to former Celtic Boys Club staff after Jim Torbett, 71, its founder, and Frank Cairney, 83, a coach, were imprisoned for sexually assaulting youngsters.
Gerald King, 66, the former chairman of the boys’ club, was convicted of abusing four boys and a girl while he was employed as a primary school teacher, but was not jailed.
Mr McGuire, a partner with Thompsons Solicitors, said that court action would be launched imminently unless the club changed its stance.
Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the boys club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility.
Mr McGuire said: “We have formally intimated a large number of claims on behalf of survivors of all the four named paedophiles that operated under the guise of the wider Celtic umbrella. We continue to gather evidence and have got a lot of financial information. We have got the evidence of survivors, talking about the links.
“The case is being gathered and we absolutely will be going to court, and probably doing so in a matter of months, unless Celtic’s tack changes.”
Mr McGuire argued that Celtic should follow the precedent set by Manchester City, which has launched a compensation scheme for youngsters abused by Barry Bennell, a former youth coach and serial paedophile.
“Celtic’s board and chief executive should stop hiding behind their lawyers and start looking at what Manchester City has done,” he said.
It has been reported that a claim could amount to more than £5 million.
Celtic FC did not respond to a request for comment.

If celtic continue to deny responsibility then is the £5m figure the amount per claim?

I read somewhere he has 50 cases - so we are talking about a quarter of a billion pounds if my somewhat dodgy maths is correct.

If celtic do accept responsibility then where does this go? Is it possible they could say sorry and set up an agreed fund of say £10m for victims? The result being ith this money it means no more claims can be made against them.

If celtic continue to deny responsibility then is the £5m figure the amount per claim?

I read somewhere he has 50 cases - so we are talking about a quarter of a billion pounds if my somewhat dodgy maths is correct.

If celtic do accept responsibility then where does this go? Is it possible they could say sorry and set up an agreed fund of say £10m for victims? The result being ith this money it means no more claims can be made against them.

They'll need to pay out the £5 million to each of the 50 victims because they can't exactly go back on their word and now say it wasn't a seperate entity! :))

Celtic go bankrupt, put into the Scottish Lowland League and Rangers win 55 next season

£10m between 50?

So that’s just 200 grand each?

Is that worth the years of turmoil and depression the victims have suffered?

One guy killed himself, did he not?

How can you put a price on that?

Dornan has tweeted saying he is contacting Lawwell today re the bheasts
I can just imagine the scene with cap in hand “ Mr. Lawell ! what steps can we take to avoid the club having to pay out millions in damages ? this money would be better used by the club to buy new players because the huns are going to run away with the league next season and all this crap about abuse at the boy’s club which I know is nothing to do with us as we are a separate entity altogether and any money we have to pay out to victims which has nothing to do with us as we all know would be better spent on the team . PETE : Oh! FFS F*ck Off ! till i think who could judge the claims to get this on the back burner and see how we can squirm our way out of it , we have friends running the show all over the place , I’m sure it will all get fixed out to our advantage , I’ll come up with something .

£10m between 50?

I don't know mate - that's what am asking.

What happens if celtic change tact and accept responsibility?

The lawyer seems to be threatening them with multiple claims totaling a max of £250m unless they accept they are accountable for this.

So to me that means if celtic do accept the blame it will be easier for them.

Would not surprise me to find out that Celtic will claim that the boys club was under the auspices of the SFA and their youth system,and that the claims should be made to them.

I want justice for the victims and more importantly than any points deducted, trophies stripped etc i want the whole world to know what a vile club this is from top to bottom and for them to be tarnished and shamed forever.

Last edited:
What am I missing here? There are three issues. First and foremost. There are the victims, who deserve all the compensation they are due, they are all due any professional support imaginable and they are due an apology from Pacific Shelf. That is the major, major point. Football isn’t even a secondary point here.

Second, there must be controls in place so this can never happen again. If this involves investigations into every football club from Rangers to a Saturday morning under 11 team, then that’s what needs to happen

And last, the issue of Celtic. They were in knowledge of issues of abuse in their club. The knowledge has been confirmed in a court of law. The extent of the abuse and the extent of the knowledge is unraveling on a daily basis. We have a football club and a so-called football authority with no comment.

This is unacceptable. It has now been proven than laws were broken. There needs to be punishment. Simple.

Never mind financial slaps on the wrists

As a side note, I fear the current Celtic manager has demons which may have come from earlier trauma.

Why do none of these articles point out that people at the club knew it was happening? There are still so many people out there who have no idea of this fact. They're covering up a cover up.

I can't believe they haven't released any form of statement.

Utter contempt for the victims who under their care suffered horrifically. I always knew they were scum but this takes the biscuit.

I want justice for the victims and more importantly than any points deducted, trophies stripped etc i want the whole world to know what a vile club this is from top to bottom and for them to be tarnished forever.

If you’re a football player you’re going to be in 2 minds about joining a club thats associated with paedophiles. I mean Parkhead housed hundreds of indecent pictures of children. I’d be shuddering as player knowing I’d spent part of my career in a building that contained such things.

Penn state have paid out upwards of $100 million now.

Not too dissimilar in that there were rumours and signals but those in charge chose to do nothing.

If theres not a similar outcome with Celtic it really does put a signal out to the world, Scotland is a relatively safe place to be a paedophile.
Unless the SNP change their stance, Nicola Stalin has to be viewed as Scotland’s Facilitator in Chief.

If you’re a football player you’re going to be in 2 minds about joining a club thats associated with paedophiles. I mean Parkhead housed hundreds of indecent pictures of children. I’d be shuddering as player knowing I’d spent part of my career in a building that contained such things.
I can only hope players do their research before thinking about joining but i wouldn't be 100% confident they would.

The lawyer seems to be threatening them with multiple claims totaling a max of £250m unless they accept they are accountable for this.

If they accept blame that leaves them open from further punishment from footballing authorities

I can only hope players do their research before thinking about joining but i wouldn't be 100% confident they would.

A lot of talk about what amount they may have to pay out, but what is even more interesting to me is what amount of money have they spent already just trying to keep this swept under the carpet. I’d say they have spent millions pay staff extra and media etc to toe the line

Only a full and open public inquiry by agencies outside Scotland into the decades of paedo rings at the Piggery will see the victims finally receive justice. However, Holyrood and the Scottish football authorities will not allow it. They want it all kept indoors and swept under the carpet. Those at the Piggery who knew and did nothing should all be publicly named and shamed.

£10m between 50?

Life’s have been lost

Footballers have lost tens of millions of pounds had they stayed and become professional footballers but couldn’t bare to carry on

So lively hoods have been ruined

Football is big buissiness

They have lost millions

Family’s have lost

Fathers
Brothers

A lot of lost revenue
I’d be expecting each family to be getting

2 million each

50 victims

100 million minimum

Celtic FC will face a multimillion pound compensation claim “within months” unless it accepts responsibility for the paedophiles who preyed on young players, a senior lawyer has said.

Anyone able to tell why the acceptance of responsibility w-/should stop any compnsation claims?

If they accept blame that leaves them open from further punishment from footballing authorities

Would that be the lesser of two evils for them considering the influence they seem to have in corridors of power at Hampden?

Not accepting blame will see them and surely senior directors from back then in court.

Dornans a Rhat and will say and do anything to protect his beloved scum, he had the chance in Holyrood today to ask the FM(wee Krankie) about child abuse at CFC, he didn't, he asked about mental health issue, I am not demeaning people who suffer from mental health, they need help and support, but others asked Questions about it, Dornan could have asked about abuse but didn't.

So, according to you, Celtic will be getting Benitez as manager and nothing will happen re paedo scandal - either you’re one of lifes pessimists or on the wrong forum mate.

I’ve never stated they will get him. Just concerned they might.

And lets see if anything happens to them, I won’t hold my breath.

I have read online that at the time of the no disclosures, to keep Celtic FC name out of the public after the USA trip that the financial man behind this was in fact Liewell. So Liewell knew too? May I point out this is someone who is joining the dots. No hard evidence but dynamite if true. It would make a farce of the SPFL and the SFA also if true.
Those guilty of the cover up must be banned from football Sine Die,.as well as investigated. They have shown themselves to be untrustworthy

I'd like to think that Celtic will finally do the decent thing and admit that these atrocious crimes were committed by people within their organisation / control, that they will sit down with the victims and admit that they as a club should have done far more to put a stop to it all those years ago, that they are eternally sorry for trying to bury the truth and disassociate their club from these terrible events in order to try and keep the name of Celtic fc clean and ultimately offer financial compensation.

However, they seem hell bent on denying these victims any sense of peace, closure and justice so they are having to go through the courts where they will ultimately get that anyway.

I'd rather the former than the later as the victims and their families deserve as swift a sense of justice on this as possible but should Celtic continue in their ridiculous stubbornness on this issue then I hope the justice system nails them and the stinking rancid club is hit in a way it can never recover from either morally or financially.

Here is the full version , the typo Gerard Kind should have read Gerald King , I'm sure.

Marc Horne
May 16 2019, 12:01am, The Times
Jim McCafferty sentence: Legal action over child abuse is imminent, Celtic warned

The warning from Patrick McGuire, who has represented some of the victims, comes after Jim McCafferty, 73, a former club kitman and Celtic Boys Club coach, was jailed for six years and nine months after admitting that he had molested boys over 24 years.
The jail sentence is the third to be handed down to former Celtic Boys Club staff after Jim Torbett, 71, its founder, and Frank Cairney, 83, a coach, were imprisoned for sexually assaulting youngsters.
Gerald King, 66, the former chairman of the boys’ club, was convicted of abusing four boys and a girl while he was employed as a primary school teacher, but was not jailed.
Mr McGuire, a partner with Thompsons Solicitors, said that court action would be launched imminently unless the club changed its stance.
Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the boys club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility.
Mr McGuire said: “We have formally intimated a large number of claims on behalf of survivors of all the four named paedophiles that operated under the guise of the wider Celtic umbrella. We continue to gather evidence and have got a lot of financial information. We have got the evidence of survivors, talking about the links.
“The case is being gathered and we absolutely will be going to court, and probably doing so in a matter of months, unless Celtic’s tack changes.”
Mr McGuire argued that Celtic should follow the precedent set by Manchester City, which has launched a compensation scheme for youngsters abused by Barry Bennell, a former youth coach and serial paedophile.
“Celtic’s board and chief executive should stop hiding behind their lawyers and start looking at what Manchester City has done,” he said.
It has been reported that a claim could amount to more than £5 million.
Celtic FC did not respond to a request for comment.
5 mil WTF....... how about 50 mil, what kind of lawyer is this? A pape for sure and shitting himself to do the right thing and put this club, financially, where it deserves to be. BROKE AND DESTITUTE, LIKE THE VICTIMS WERE LEFT TO BE

I think something has already happened.
Regardless what happens from here on they will forever be known to have covered up a paedophile ring spanning decades.

They've been branded and it won't go away.

There seems to be a complete lack of willingness to hold them account.

Possibly, but £10m for everyone feels on the low side - it’s not an office sweepstakes.

Conversely, Celtic clearly couldn’t afford a figure like £250m, so there probably will have to be some sort of compromise involved to ensure the victims gain compensation that doesn’t put Celtic out of business altogether.

I know that’s exactly what most of us would like to see happen and I think there’s a very good argument to say it would be fitting justice that such a rancid organisation was effectively shut down as a result of the abuse they attempted to cover up, but if the claims were so hefty there’s a chance Celtic would lapse into administration and then there could be a battle to get anything out of them at all.

The football governing bodies in Scotland should be forced to issue sanctions against CFC for failing to protect the kids

6 convictions at CBC and CFC so the SFA need to take action

They were happy to punish us for financial mismanagement

So what are they going to do to Shame FC ?
Uefa should also be looking at this despicable mob and impose an indefinite European ban on them

Back