Who is the greatest Glaswegian football player?

Can't think of any reason this was posted apart from someone wanting to highlight a Celtic player. How strange.

Nope.

It was a twitter meme I saw this morning.

The one I saw said Souness which is obviously Edinburgh where I live now. So I had a think about what would be the answer for my home town and started a thread.

He is a funny reply on it from Gary Lineker.

It's obviously him, and weird that some on this thread getting annoyed about it. Yeah, he played for them, but it's the answer to the OP.

How do you know he was better than Alan Morton?

A player widely regarded as the best in the world at his peak.

I don't find it annoying some want to kiss Dalglish's arse, but I do find it sad there are Rangers fans ignorant of one of the greatest players our club has ever had.

Glasgow: Dalglish

Edinburgh: Souness

Aberdeen: Law

Dundee: DJ?

I don't find it annoying some want to kiss Dalglish's arse, but I do find it sad there are Rangers fans ignorant of one of the greatest players our club has ever had.

I'm too young to have seen Alan Morton, but i'm not ignorant of how great a player he was for Rangers and Scotland. There's also a strong argument for saying that Morton, and others of that era, didn't have the same opportunity to be as decorated at club and international level.

That said, I can't think of many criteria that puts any Scottish player above Dalglish, never mind one from Glasgow.

He was indeed a Milkie.

A lovely footballer.

In those days there was zero protection for the guys that held on to the ball and he got kicked phuck out of. Believe his brother played for Clough at Forest.
Injured a lot with no protection but up there with Baxter .
Imo.

Last edited:
kenny dalglish best ive seen, cant deny it.

and to be fair to him he never let the, brainwash him, my dad said he was very complimentary about rangers years back when he met him and talked about his favourite rangers players growing up.

Some people really want to grow up. First page of the thread is tragic reading.

You can acknowledge a players undisputed success without having any respect or love for them.

Dave MaCpherson simply because he lived near me and also because he had a great ability for getting the freshest greenest leaves from the top of trees.

Unfortunately, a lot of our fans don't seem interested in the club's history.

The inter-War years were arguably the most important in the development of Rangers and Alan Morton was our best player. He had a noticeably superior record in matches against the Auld Enemy than Kenny Dalglish.

That's a very patronising response to the vast majority on the thread not agreeing with you.

You say 'patronising', I say defending Rangers.

Alan Morton was one of Rangers' three most accomplished footballers. To see so many on a Rangers forum seemingly ignore him is depressing.

Last edited:
'the only player to score 6 in one Game'

If you discount Davie Wilson that is.

I stand corrected, didn't know that.

Did a bit of research after being sarcastically outed and found that neither Wilson or McColl are listed on Wiki, and not much information about records elsewhere, although a celtic player called McGrory has been credited with 8 v Dunfermline in 1928.

Although on McColls wiki page it suggests his (and I assume shared with Wilson) is a Scottish record that still stands ?

Did a bit of research after being sarcastically outed and found that neither Wilson or McColl are listed on Wiki, and not much information about records elsewhere, although a celtic player called McGrory has been credited with 8 v Dunfermline in 1928.

Although on McColls wiki page it suggests his (and I assume shared with Wilson) is a Scottish record that still stands ?
Wilson is listed on Wiki,

'1961-62 ended with Scottish Cup and League Cup victories,[5] and Wilson achieved a club record which has never been equalled since when he scored six times against Falkirk (a 7–1 win) in March 1962[4][5] (however Jimmy Smith had achieved the feat twice in the 1930s).[7] The next year brought a League and Cup double and Wilson hit over 30 goals, including four in one match against Partick and one in the replayed cup final against Celtic.[5] '

Kenny Dalglish - 100%
When you consider what he won as a player and how influential he was at Liverpool in doing so... and his regard as an international football then there’s just little to argue on it.

Durrant could potentially have exceeded it but sadly we will never know. To make that impact, he would have had to be at somewhere like Milan or Barcelona in the era of the 3 Foreigner rule... it would have been difficult.

Wilson is listed on Wiki,

'1961-62 ended with Scottish Cup and League Cup victories,[5] and Wilson achieved a club record which has never been equalled since when he scored six times against Falkirk (a 7–1 win) in March 1962[4][5] (however Jimmy Smith had achieved the feat twice in the 1930s).[7] The next year brought a League and Cup double and Wilson hit over 30 goals, including four in one match against Partick and one in the replayed cup final against Celtic.[5] '

The McColl one is listed as a Scottish Record, I assume Wilson is co-holder, but my confusion is to why McGrory isnt the recorrd holder if thats the case?

"McColl finished his football career in 1912, scoring 6 goals in his penultimate game against Port Glasgow Athletic,[2] a Scottish scoring record which stands to the present day. "

Not that wiki should ever be taken as gospel I suppose.

Anyhoo, we digress :D

The McColl one is listed as a Scottish Record, I assume Wilson is co-holder, but my confusion is to why McGrory isnt the recorrd holder if thats the case?

"McColl finished his football career in 1912, scoring 6 goals in his penultimate game against Port Glasgow Athletic,[2] a Scottish scoring record which stands to the present day. "

Not that wiki should ever be taken as gospel I suppose.

Anyhoo, we digress :D
I only mentioned Davie Wilson as I actually remember it happening :)

Jimmy Fleming of Rangers once scored 9 goals in a Scottish Cup tie.

Back