Serious upgrades and the squad players brought in

This argument is pointless.

It essentially rules out every fan ever making a judgement on a player because ‘well, a pro manager rates him, so he must be right’.

Hence I made specific reference to what YOU think v Gerrard.

It’s actually hilarious you are talking like you know better than Gerrard

Hence I made specific reference to what YOU think v Gerrard.

It’s actually hilarious you are talking like you know better than Gerrard

I better not criticize any pro player ever.

Because hey, a manager picks them, and a manager knows more about football than me, ergo they’re automatically correct.

This is called the argument from authority fallacy.

I better not criticize any pro player ever.

Because hey, a manager picks them, and a manager knows more about football than me, ergo they’re automatically correct.

This is called the argument from authority fallacy.

Your best not trying to talk like you know better than Gerrard aye - thats a solid lesson for you.

Today simply reiterated to us what we already knew, we need better quality in the first 11 in order to make our squad stronger overall. Middle to front lacked any creativity today aside from Kent. Barisic looks devoid of all confidence, Worrall makes us look decidedly shaky at the back, Halliday is no where near good enough to be playing centre mid for us, candeias is a worker but lacks genuine creativity or guile, Flanagan is a good defender but showed how much we missed Tav going forward.

We need major investment in key areas. We looked clueless going forward today without Tav and arfield. And as good as kamara & jack have been lately Davis is the guy that's been making us tick.

We need an upgrade in 3 or 4 positions to challenge and win the league next season. Left back, cam, striker and inside forward. A lot of pish being spoken in this thread from the usual subjects :rolleyes:

No panic talk from me but I think we collectively all know we need good quality throughout the team that will happen over the summer.

Also we had no Tavernier, Katic, Davis, Arfield playing today.
McGregor, Davis, Arfield and Defoe all key men potentially, but that wee bit old to expect to play every week

Jack is decent,as is Kamara.We need someone in there beside Davis and one of them to take us up a level to be able to win the league though.

I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment to make.

Yep. Our midfield is Davis, Jack and Kamara. We generally agree that we want to improve our midfield. That means getting a player in to replace one of those three. We have to drop someone. And I would agree that Jack is the weakest from that group. I like him and understand why others do. But who would his fans drop for a new midfielder?

Yep. Our midfield is Davis, Jack and Kamara. We generally agree that we want to improve our midfield. That means getting a player in to replace one of those three. We have to drop someone. And I would agree that Jack is the weakest from that group. I like him and understand why others do. But who would his fans drop for a new midfielder?
I think Kamara and Jack will lose form or fitness at some points of the season,Davis will need to be managed at times also.
By all accounts Turnbull wants to head down south,but I'd love to see him beside Davis and one of the other two.Either that or try to tempt Lewis Holtby.

Of course either Rossiter or Docherty could become a curveball into that equation,which would be fantastic if they're deemed good enough to do so.

I think Kamara and Jack will lose form or fitness at some points of the season,Davis will need to be managed at times also.
By all accounts Turnbull wants to head down south,but I'd love to see him beside Davis and one of the other two.Either that or try to tempt Lewis Holtby.

Of course either Rossiter or Docherty could become a curveball into that equation,which would be fantastic if they're deemed good enough to do so.

Agree fully. We need a squad with 2 quality players for each position and all will get game time. I was meaning who would drop from your “ideal” starting 11 to make room for an upgrade.

I’m not too familiar with Turnbull’s game. Would he fit into that ‘industrious’ midfield 3 or does he play further forward in more of an Arfield role?

Reactions: cav
Agree fully. We need a squad with 2 quality players for each position and all will get game time. I was meaning who would drop from your “ideal” starting 11 to make room for an upgrade.

I’m not too familiar with Turnbull’s game. Would he fit into that ‘industrious’ midfield 3 or does he play further forward in more of an Arfield role?

Turnbull is exactly the type of midfielder we could be doing with.

The chance has gone now sadly.

Very good at both passing and ghosting into the opposition box from what I've seen so could probably do either,but I think the midfield three needs more goals and he might just be the answer.
Jack,Kamara and Davis won't give us enough goals imo despite all the positive play they provide together.

We played a weakened team today and it showed just how lacking in depth we are. Candeias, Worrall and Halliday - who we have seen far too much of this season - are miles away from being in a Rangers team.

Kent leaves and we can't just rely on Murphy to come in as a first team replacement. A serious upgrade is needed here.

Ryan Jack in the midfield had the limitations in his game exposed today. Serious upgrade needed.

The squad players we brought in make sense to replace the likes of Candeias, Worrall and Halliday etc because they won't do even as back up.

And for the CM and inside forward, about 8m needs spent here or we can forget winning any title.

Absolutely spot on, most of these guys on the bench, excluding rhe youngsters, aren't near good enough to step into the first team squad.
They've had their chance and proved that there just not good enough to step up to the plate when needed.It's time to off load the dead wood, and hopefully bring in a better quality of player.

He will get picked up by an English side who can pay a lot more.

15 goals from his age at midfield won’t go unnoticed down there.

Fair enough but there’s a catch 22 there - if he’s good enough that we want him, he’s too good for us to get him. It is possible that a move to us would be better for his career. Get used to the big time in a familiar league close to home and get a bigger shop window for the next move rather than go to a wee team down south and run the risk of disappearing.

Of course Motherwell will not make things easy for us which could scupper that. But that’s just the situation dealing with anyone in Scotland.

Very worrying if we were to pick up several injuries to key positions at once next season.

A lot of work needs done this summer again.

I disagree with your opinion, as you may have noticed to --day, that we had 4 or 5 of our better players not in the team to - day.
The same team that's played really well played good football, scored goals and had a few clean sheets.
If we keep the foundation of that team, add 3 or 4 quality players, we wont be far away next season, in my opinion.P.s.And get rid of all the chancers and dead wood that aren't good enough to wear our jersey's.

Very worrying if we were to pick up several injuries to key positions at once next season.

A lot of work needs done this summer again.

I disagree with your opinion, as you may have noticed to --day, that we had 4 or 5 of our better players not in the team to - day.
The same team that's played really well played good football, scored goals and had a few clean sheets.
If we keep the foundation of that team, add 3 or 4 quality players, we wont be far away next season, in my opinion.P.s.And get rid of all the chancers and dead wood that aren't good enough to wear our jersey's.

Candeias was appalling today. His second half of the season has been horrible mate.

We need better than him, if we want to win trophies, he's no better than an average footballer.
Which in my opinion, isn't good enough to play for Rangers.We need quality journeymen not provincial club players.

McGregor
New LB
Goldson
Katic
Tav
Kamara
Davis
New AM
Arfield
Defoe/Morelos
New Forward

I don’t think we are miles away with the starting line up, we need quality added in these 3 positions

I agree keep most of the team that's being doing well over the last 6 games, and add 3 or 4 quality players if at all possible, and i don't think well be too far away, for the new season.imo.

Two things about today:

1) This was a meaningless game on a pitch we don't historically play well on, it was last game of the season against a team who's only strength is that they will make it an absolute battle. Throw in it was after the Celtic game and you can see it was always going to have a touch of after the lord mayors show about it for us whilst it was possibly their biggest game of the season.

2) This game and the result may actually do us a massive favour heading into the summer because we can still see that we are woefully short of quality if one or two players are missing. If anybody had the chance to stake a claim and shine for us then they failed quite badly today.

So if there was any thought that we now have a squad that will challenge next season it was blown out the water today. We need to be destroying the likes of Kilmarnock and Aberdeen on a regular basis - we do that then 55 will follow. We can't carry passengers and it is pretty clear we still have a few too many ...

Very good at both passing and ghosting into the opposition box from what I've seen so could probably do either,but I think the midfield three needs more goals and he might just be the answer.
Jack,Kamara and Davis won't give us enough goals imo despite all the positive play they provide together.

One of the midfield 3 would need to be dropped for a creative midifelder if they can chip in with some goals it's an added bonus.

The bigger issue is the two players behind the main striker they need to contribute a lot more goals so essentially if we go with a 4-3-2-1 next season we will need to bring in at least 4 players of quality in the areas mentioned.

Not playing McCrorie was fucking insane. The lad is getting a raw deal. He’s built for these games.

Goes from motm against the poets then dropped against killie in the most fucked up tactics this season. Gerrard really needs to learn.

Turnbull from Motherwell is about as close as I could think of.
Not playing McCrorie was fucking insane. The lad is getting a raw deal. He’s built for these games.

Goes from motm against the poets then dropped against killie in the most fucked up tactics this season. Gerrard really needs to learn.

I think he will be playing elsewhere next season possibly on loan

Yip.

Why the hell is Halliday playing today over Ross? I can’t think of one reason.

Don’t quite know what games some fans have been watching if they think Jack is any sort of weak link in our team. He’s been one of the most consistent all season. He does so much for his team mates that goes unseen by many. He covers for Tavernier on many occasions and in this new system it has allowed Kamara and Davis to play their best game. Also, he’s improved his play in the final third rather a lot in this campaign.

If we can find a midfielder that does all the work Jack does, plus has better ability on the ball, then great it’s an upgrade. They’re hard to find though especially with our budget and when there’s other roles we need to address first.

He was perfectly fine

His performance isn’t going to compensate for a player giving the ball away - a player giving a penalty away and nunerous gilt edged chances being missed

His work in that game was enough to see his side win - others contributed to the defeat.

“They’re pure aw pish and I’ve pure standards” it just makes you sound a bit daft
100 bang on. Todays defeat had nothing to do with Ryan Jack. The hysteria on here is embarrassing. Up until todays game jack was getting praise for his performances along side kamara and davis. We lose a meaningless game and all of a sudden the Jack critics resurface. If anything kamara was by far the worse midfielder on the park today. Love the guy but he had a really poor game.

Don’t quite know what games some fans have been watching if they think Jack is any sort of weak link in our team. He’s been one of the most consistent all season. He does so much for his team mates that goes unseen by many. He covers for Tavernier on many occasions and in this new system it has allowed Kamara and Davis to play their best game. Also, he’s improved his play in the final third rather a lot in this campaign.

If we can find a midfielder that does all the work Jack does, plus has better ability on the ball, then great it’s an upgrade. They’re hard to find though especially with our budget and when there’s other roles we need to address first.

Like Tav, Jack becomes the scapegoat when results don’t go our way.

As you say, one our most consistent performers all season and for me probably in our top 3 best players this season.

Like to think the manager knows a thing or two about that position as well.

I think he will be playing elsewhere next season possibly on loan
I agree. I am convinced McCrorie will go out on loan. And that is the best thing for the lad as it seems like he will not be getting a look in at regular football at Rangers.

Fixed for you.

Don't bother fixing, you are a negative person who will always find something to moan about, its usually the centre half partnerships or if not that something else. I think your preference is to find negatives rather than to look and identify anything positive.

Keep it up and a permanent holiday is on its way.

Two things about today:

1) This was a meaningless game on a pitch we don't historically play well on, it was last game of the season against a team who's only strength is that they will make it an absolute battle. Throw in it was after the Celtic game and you can see it was always going to have a touch of after the lord mayors show about it for us whilst it was possibly their biggest game of the season.

2) This game and the result may actually do us a massive favour heading into the summer because we can still see that we are woefully short of quality if one or two players are missing. If anybody had the chance to stake a claim and shine for us then they failed quite badly today.

So if there was any thought that we now have a squad that will challenge next season it was blown out the water today. We need to be destroying the likes of Kilmarnock and Aberdeen on a regular basis - we do that then 55 will follow. We can't carry passengers and it is pretty clear we still have a few too many ...

I agree with much of what you say, whist it would have been nice to end the season on a high note, alas it was not to be. But if there is a silver lining for Gerard, the defeat will have reinforced in his mind the shortcomings of the Rangers squad - pinpointing exactly which players he can trust to build next years team aroun, as well as those can't be relied upon.

When Gerrard came to Ibrox last summer, it was to a large extent a leap into the unknown. He now will have a much better sense of what needs to be done, which is why I expect any incoming signings/loanees arriving during the next window to make a more effective contribution to the cause than last summer's lot.

We definitely have a bloated squad and many leftovers from the previous disasters of managers that put people on 3 and 4 year deals.
SG and co has not been perfect in the market but he has also gotten a lot out of some of the people already here.
Like most have said, we are not miles away and if we do go for that quality (adding 3 or 4 starters) that will be huge for us a we push forward.
The difficulty will be in shifting all of these (maybe up to like 10 players) who still have time on their contract left.
In SG we trust!

Oh look Ryan Jack had his second ‘not so great’ performance of the season, let’s ditch him!

As someone else said, when the team don’t perform, far too many on here jump at the opportunity to criticise the likes of Jack and Tav. It’s almost as if you hope for them to play poorly.

Don't bother fixing, you are a negative person who will always find something to moan about, its usually the centre half partnerships or if not that something else. I think your preference is to find negatives rather than to look and identify anything positive.

Keep it up and a permanent holiday is on its way.

You obviously haven’t read enough of my posts then because I’ve heaped plenty of praise and positivity on this side

Said time and time again about Ryan Jack not being good enough , when we are playing well he gets away with it but when up against it his limited ability is clear to see.

Seriously how could you watch that game today and say Ryan Jack is the problem? Did you not notice his role in our goal? Did you not notice Kamara's role in their first goal? Did you not notice the number of interceptions made by Jack? Yet you still single out Jack for criticism. Lets be honest he could do anything on the park and you would constantly criticise. Seems a section of our fans have to have a scapegoat and Jack seems to be that person. Absolute nonsense. Usually spouted by people that never really watch what a player does in the game.

Halliday and Candeias don't work in the current formation. Candeias is a grafter and puts huge effort in to the game but lacks the quality for a regular start. Halliday is simply not good enough. Don't think that was accidental BTW that he changed the midfield today. Makes his point about needing quality in the squad.

Seriously how could you watch that game today and say Ryan Jack is the problem? Did you not notice his role in our goal? Did you not notice Kamara's role in their first goal? Did you not notice the number of interceptions made by Jack? Yet you still single out Jack for criticism. Lets be honest he could do anything on the park and you would constantly criticise. Seems a section of our fans have to have a scapegoat and Jack seems to be that person. Absolute nonsense. Usually spouted by people that never really watch what a player does in the game.

Halliday and Candeias don't work in the current formation. Candeias is a grafter and puts huge effort in to the game but lacks the quality for a regular start. Halliday is simply not good enough. Don't think that was accidental BTW that he changed the midfield today. Makes his point about needing quality in the squad.

The criticism from Jack comes from the fact he has obvious limitations to his game.

He needs to give more. Can’t keep living off of the odd assist or the convenient one of ‘his work off the ball’.

The difference is everyone knows Halliday and probably DC are not good enough , where as Jack seems to get away with it by most of our support , And I’m not blaming yesterdays result on him , it was a meaningless game. I’m basing on watching closely week in week out, When we are playing well and controlling the game he eases by and looks half decent , but up against it he’s shown time after time to be a very limited player. Don’t have to agree, if we all had the same opinion on players then FF would be a dull place , but for me , he’s a average spl standard midfielder.

One of the midfield 3 would need to be dropped for a creative midifelder if they can chip in with some goals it's an added bonus.

The bigger issue is the two players behind the main striker they need to contribute a lot more goals so essentially if we go with a 4-3-2-1 next season we will need to bring in at least 4 players of quality in the areas mentioned.
I think someone like Turnbull in for Jack or Kamara,and someone like Peterson in for Kent would add a lot more goals to our side.
I appreciate that won’t be universally popular but nonetheless we’d score a lot more with those two in the side.

I think someone like Turnbull in for Jack or Kamara,and someone like Peterson in for Kent would add a lot more goals to our side.
I appreciate that won’t be universally popular but nonetheless we’d score a lot more with those two in the side.

Turnbull brought in for a Jack would be unbelievable business.

The kind of business that really brings more balance to the team.

McGregor
New LB
Goldson
Katic
Tav
Kamara
Davis
New AM
Arfield
Defoe/Morelos
New Forward

I don’t think we are miles away with the starting line up, we need quality added in these 3 positions

That’s fine but once we start to get injuries and suspension guys like candieas won’t do.

In fact I don’t think Jordan Jones or Greg Stewart will do either , no better than the squad fillers we have at the moment.

It’s very predictable, but not worrying, it’s the same people saying the same things.

I’ve got a load of optimism for next season , yesterday’s meaningless end of season game doesn’t change that feeling one bit.

As do I, provided the correct business is done in the summer.

If it’s not, you’re dismissal of yesterday will be ill founded.

None of the 3 personally, the 10 most clamor for will most likely feature in the top 3 - it's your Candieas position who is likely to be moved on for the AN other most want in midfield.

Our midfield control with the 3 of Jack, Davis and Kamara has been spot on.

Back