Bothering Players/Ex Players

SpiffyAlarmedHen-size_restricted.gif

Obviously varies from player to player, but I've never bothered whenever I've spotted a player. Just let them get on with their business.

Funnily enough, years ago me and my mate saw Gavin Rae in blockbuster. My mate said out loud (he's not very subtle and a bit thick tbh) "There's Gavin Rae!!" While pointing like a maniac. At this stage the bold Gavin (who happened to be browsing the DVDs at this point) moved to within a foot or so of us and continued to stare blankly at the shelves. I turned round to my mate and said "So it is." We about turned and walked out, while the now dejected Gavin tucked away his best Parker pen with a look of sorrow on his face...ok the last part was a lie but the rest was true, I'm guessing he didn't get asked for an autograph very often.

Was at a wedding reception in the Sherbrooke Hotel & McCoist, Gascoigne, Charlie Miller & a couple of others were in having a beer, The female I was with at the time was like " go get their autographs" (mobiles were quite rare & about the size of a house brick at the time) and she was gutted that I just said, "why? it's just a few guys having a beer after work, leave them alone" we had beaten St Johnstone 3-2 at Ibrox that day so I graciously cut them some slack:)

While most see it as simply part of the job I have to say I’d never bother them unless they were at an event in some form of work related capacity.

Got off the train at Charing Cross last year and the wife points at an old guy reading an newspaper on a bench and said “ Where do I recognise that man from ?”. Well was it not Sir Walter. Contemplated going up to shake his hand but thought better of it and left him to read his paper.

Unless he is doing an official signing or is at an event, leave them be. As much as you want an autograph or photo, you have to remember and respect the fact they have a private life that they are entitled too.

I agree to an extent, but footballers are privelaged and the main reason they have had that career, with all of it’s rewards is down to fans paying to watch them through tickets or tv. They undoubtedly still need to bring the talent and application but without the audience, it doesn’t matter a %^*&. I don’t think a 30 second chat is too much to ask of them.

Tbh though I’m a bit of an odd ball that way, the Mrs is forever getting a riddy at me speaking to complete strangers :D

It's not something i've ever done personally whenever i've seen players out and about, but unless the player is on his phone or in the middle of eating his dinner at a restaurant etc, I don't see anything wrong with politely asking for a pic.

Can only speak from growing up living in the same house as, going to games with and generally being with Tiger a lot and I can tell you that it bothered him not one jot. He would have stood and signed autographs and talked to folk all day - whether he was at Ibrox, Broomfield or out for his wee hauf bottle! :)):)):)):))

There is a guy who constantly sells autographed photos of players and ex players on a Facebook page. I can’t help thinking he must be like a stalker and the players must know that he is selling their autographs for profit.

Flew out to dubai sunday night and mark hateley was on the same flight. Said hello and shook his hand. Unfortunately so was sutton and Daryl hannah. Got to dubai airport and seen jason cummings, Scott allan. Never said anything to them though.

Most players are really approachable as long as you're a bit respectful and don't try and annoy them when they're in the middle of a meal or whatever.
One of my favourite photo/autograph story was when Jnr Cutlass was working in Barcelona and he saw this guy walking down La Rambla with his family and he thought he recognised the guy and it was Shota!
He plucked up the courage to go over, explain he was a Rangers fan and asked if he could have a photo.
Shota chatted away for a few minutes and even did the Shota Shuffle for his photo...what a man!
:):):)

Got off the train at Charing Cross last year and the wife points at an old guy reading an newspaper on a bench and said “ Where do I recognise that man from ?”. Well was it not Sir Walter. Contemplated going up to shake his hand but thought better of it and left him to read his paper.

That fair enough.
No chap likes to get a fucking tanking in front of the wife.

I seen McGregor last week and was absolutely desperate to speak to him but I just couldn't. Just felt like if he told me to %^*& off or whatever it'd ruin my memories. I just chose to stare a lot. :)

I used to let my daughter skip primary school when the Gers were playing in Europe and we would go over to Ibrox to wave the team off. One time we got there and Albertz and wee Dick were standing there. So I just stood next to them not saying anything until Dick said, are you ok? And i said, ah think so, you? Even ma wee girl looked at the ground

Lafferty was in front of me in the Chadwick stand yesterday. Got absolutely mobbed and left at half time.

I forget the name of it but I got a book at Christmas about a guy who met all of the 9 in a row players and was quite interesting hearing which players spent a lot of time with him . I’ve saw Novo and Numan shopping but was too feart to go up to them met Hateley in TGIs and he was really nice .

I met John Greig at Manchester 08, and couldn’t contain myself, and went straight over to him and said “ Mr Greig it’s a pleasure to meet you.” and put out my hand, thankfully the big man put his out too. Made my day and I’m still regaling the tale at least twice a year on here!:)):))
I have chatted to Super several times and met Durrant and D Ferguson and said hello, but meeting John Greig was the pinnacle for me.

Got speaking to Franz Beckenbauer once. When I told him I stayed in Tranent he said his dad was a Pow near Tranent and he used to come to Tranent on his holidays when he was young..... Glad I interrupted his putt.
I’ve got relations in Tranent.Bears and Jambos.My mother’s cousin used to be the manager of the bar in the store bowling club:)

Lots of ex-players miss the limelight and buzz of being a famous footballer and don't mind their ego being massaged by autograph-hunting fans to remind them of the good old days. :)

Bumped into Andy Halliday outside the district after the old firm game, said hello but wouldn’t be bothering him for a photo.

my dad was in hospital recently the royal and in the bed across from him was Alex McDonald, said to my dad whose a massive bear that before I leave after visit I was going to go over and say how much I enjoyed watching him in a Rangers jersey. So after an hour I said good buy to dad and went to go over and speak to doddie but by this point his family had turned up ( open visit ) so there was no way I would interrupt. Dad got moved to the old part of the royal next day was gutted as I had missed my chance. :(

I would like to think the majority of our ex players would oblige in a photo or kind few words with the support. They have had a career we can only dream of and considering the other perks that come with it I would expect them to take some time with the fans.

I hate hearing stories of ex players turning away or ignoring supporters especially youngsters.

I hate it when people bother players for pics.

Just a wee chat or a hello is all that’s needed.

Flew out to Vilamoura for my 40th today , :eek:Arfield was checking in two gates down . Did want to go over to the lad , but decided against it , yep as you can guess gutted. Now:) .

It's not something i've ever done personally whenever i've seen players out and about, but unless the player is on his phone or in the middle of eating his dinner at a restaurant etc, I don't see anything wrong with politely asking for a pic.
And the relevant word is politely. You'd be surprised at how many people think that, just because they watch a player on the pitch, that they can make a demand on that man any where else.

Our bus pulled into the services after the game last Sunday, and there was the gaffer filling up his motor...few got photos which he was more than happy to pose for, but a few of the lads didn't bother him...

Back