Rangers have bid for Oldham defender George Edmundson rejected

Bonnyloyal

By MIKE KEEGAN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 00:06, 21 May 2019 | UPDATED: 00:06, 21 May 2019

Rangers have had a bid for Oldham defender George Edmundson turned down.
The Ibrox outfit offered what they thought was a fair price for the highly-rated 21-year-old but saw it rejected by the League Two club.
Sportsmail understands that Oldham are now looking for more than the £450,000 it was originally thought would be enough to secure Edmundson's services.

And Rangers are not alone - three rival suitors from south of the border have also had bids knocked back.

Edmundson is also understood to have rejected the offer of a new contract to stay at Oldham, who finished 14th in League Two last season

The cash-strapped English club are keen on sparking a bidding war for the services of their homegrown prized-asset but whether such a scenario will unfold remains in doubt, with Rangers unwilling to blow vast sums on a young player who would potentially be taking a big step up.

You've got teams in the National League outspending most teams up here. I'm afraid it's not the old days anymore.
I know changed days. I remember fairly recently a star striker was thinking of jacking it in and going back on the tools as a plumber.

Depends on who the other teams are and where the lad sees his best chance to succeed in future

Also depends on whether he is totally motivated by money or playing in Europe and joining a team who is looking to get back to winning leagues and all the prestige that will come when we win it

Half a million quid for a player from a mid table 4th tier team and they want more. Cant say I'll be dissapointed if we look elsewhere. We got a young high potential croatian international centre half for less than 3x that.
Precisely. We should shop in markets where we can get value, in particular for young players that we an develop.

But, as I said earlier, we want to be in exactly the same position when it comes to Morelos.

Of course we do. Morelos is on a different level to most players though. I’d suggest Edmundson is just one of dozens of players of a similar level available at the reported figure or less.

Of course we do. Morelos is on a different level to most players though. I’d suggest Edmundson is just one of dozens of players of a similar level available at the reported figure or less.
Same principles apply mate. And Morelos still has to prove it in a proper/top league.

And I guess if SG sees Edmundson as someone he wants to bring to Rangers he must have something about him.

I don't blame Oldham in their financial position in trying to get the most for one of their assets who appears to be in demand.

Depends where the player wants to go as well.

Its hardly unusual for the first bid to be knocked back. In fact it probably happens with every transfer.

Same principles apply mate. And Morelos still has to prove it in a proper/top league.

And I guess if SG sees Edmundson as someone he wants to bring to Rangers he must have something about him.

Edmundson would, I suggest, be coming in as 4th choice centre-back behind Goldson, Katic and an as-yet-to-be named/signed potential starter. Doesn’t mean he’s a poor player and he presumably has ‘potential’ but I’m sure many others out there do as well. That’s the point, at that level, we will have a dozen viable alternatives at the price we want to pay. No need to get involved in a ‘bidding war’.

It’s like buying a house, set your limit, make your offer. Avoid at all costs getting caught up in an ‘auction’.

Half a million quid for a player from a mid table 4th tier team and they want more. Cant say I'll be dissapointed if we look elsewhere. We got a young high potential croatian international centre half for less than 3x that.

I’ll be really annoyed if Katic is dropped again next season. He’s not really put a foot wrong and until then should remain in the starting 11.

Edmundson would, I suggest, be coming in as 4th choice centre-back behind Goldson, Katic and an as-yet-to-be named/signed potential starter. Doesn’t mean he’s a poor player and he presumably has ‘potential’ but I’m sure many others out there do as well. That’s the point, at that level, we will have a dozen viable alternatives at the price we want to pay. No need to get involved in a ‘bidding war’.

It’s like buying a house, set your limit, make your offer. Avoid at all costs getting caught up in an ‘auction’.
I hear what you are saying, but if he has already been invited for a tour of the place then we must want him enough.

It will all play out in the end and I am sure the player will have a big say.

I'm fine with Oldham trying to max out on how much they can try to get though.

It will be our turn soon with Morelos.

No, just walk away now. We’ve offered what we think he’s worth and they’ve rejected our bid and, according to the report, bids from three other teams (presumably in the same ballpark) because that want a ‘bidding war’. F*ck that. Move on.

No need to be so drastic just yet. Normal practise to have your first bid rejected.

No, just walk away now. We’ve offered what we think he’s worth and they’ve rejected our bid and, according to the report, bids from three other teams (presumably in the same ballpark) because that want a ‘bidding war’. F*ck that. Move on.
So accept what we think he’s worth or we’re not interested ? That seems a very reasonable approach

So accept what we think he’s worth or we’re not interested ? That seems a very reasonable approach

No we BID what we think he’s worth. If they don’t accept that figure then fine, it’s their prerogative. If they want to turn it into a ‘bidding war’ we walk away when bidding goes above what we value him at.

It seems to me that Oldham made it known that £450k was the figure they wanted - then decided to inflate that figure.

Last edited:

What if hes a brilliant player ?

What if another couple of hundred thousand and we sign a player thats worth 10x that next season ?

Maybe we didnt offer what we believe hes worth maybe we offered what we were hoping they would accept. Maybe our management team see him as an important signing.

I dont know, i dont even know who he is tbh, but i just find the fk it move on its only an Oldham defender no as if the guys played in Italy, carry on a big strange.

Maybe we didnt offer what we believe hes worth maybe we offered what we were hoping they would accept. Maybe our management team see him as an important signing.

That bit I can understand. Reading the article again though it seems Oldham set a price (£450k) then moved the goalposts. They obviously agreed to let the player come and view THTC and Ibrox, which suggests to me a deal had been agreed in principle. Now they’ve reneged on that.

The 1st bid is rarely every accepted.

If he really wants to come to us he will force it through and if we really want him we can increase by 100k or something and leave it as a final offer.

Regardless of wether we get this boy or not, it shows that we’re trying to get our business done early.
Which can only be a good thing imo
I think it's good for various reasons and probably none more important than to get as many in as possible before any big money comes in for alfie, clubs see big money come in prices will inflate.

That bit I can understand. Reading the article again though it seems Oldham set a price (£450k) then moved the goalposts. They obviously agreed to let the player come and view THTC and Ibrox, which suggests to me a deal had been agreed in principle. Now they’ve reneged on that.

That's what I get from it as well. We wouldn't have brought him up to see HTC and Ibrox if we did not think there was already an agreement there for buying him. Oldham have found other clubs sniffing around him so bumped the asking price up.

Let's be honest we would do the same in a heartbeat for Morelos if several clubs came knocking.

Yeah seems a bit dishonest and not really what you should do, id guess it happens all the time and we might even have done it with our players.

Someone at Ibrox, management team is finding right good CBs getting great value so it might be in our best interests just to pay a bit more id guess thats what will happen.

Back