Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

What's Alex Thomson of Channel 4 saying about all of this? Somebody ask him on twitter?

Also, what's Ill Phil's angle on it?

Hugh Keevins?
Chris Sutton?
Andy Walker?
Davie Provan?
Frank Mcavennie?
Gerry Colins?
Nil by Mouth?
Nicola Sturgeon?
Neil Lennon?
The SNP?
The SPFL?
The Labour Party?
The Tories?
Justice Minister Yousaf?
Anybody?

Dornan started calling out the scum after he spoke to Daly maybe he is thinking to encourage them to settle before even more damaging details come out from the documentaries as details may strengthen victims hand in getting more money out of them.

I assume if they reach a deal with the victims now they would not be able to come back for more later.

I want to stress that of course I hope the victims get justice, and that celtic football club take responsibility and accept appropriate punishment.

But, I have no personal link to any of this, so a part of me is hoping that this affects them on the field. Attracting players/management, transfer budgets etc. Winning the league next season would utterly devastate them.

We all do.

If Celtic offer a big public apology to the victims, who then say they are satisfied with that as they have no desire to see their club destroyed financially, how many of us will feel similarly?

Be honest now.

We all do.

If Celtic offer a big public apology to the victims, who then say they are satisfied with that as they have no desire to see their club destroyed financially, how many of us will feel similarly?

Be honest now.

The victims wishes are paramount.

But let's not confuse or conflate an apology with justice. Saying sorry doesn't exonerate you, no matter what your victims think.

We all do.

Be honest now.

I would feel two things at the same time: happy that the victims felt like they finally got closure, and gutted that celtic didn’t get financial hit that would’ve further helped us catch up with them.

What's Alex Thomson of Channel 4 saying about all of this? Somebody ask him on twitter?

Also, what's Ill Phil's angle on it?

Hugh Keevins?
Chris Sutton?
Andy Walker?
Davie Provan?
Frank Mcavennie?
Gerry Colins?
Nil by Mouth?
Nicola Sturgeon?
Neil Lennon?
The SNP?
The SPFL?
The Labour Party?
The Tories?
Justice Minister Yousaf?
Anybody?

The just want it to go away.

The whole club is trying to deflect this. Even on their message boards. You won’t find this being talked about. You’d think as fans, they’d want to understand what happened and talk about it

Green Brigade do not allow any discussion about this scandal on their site. Their attitude appears to be that if they ignore it then it will just go away. (I wonder where they got that idea from)

Of course there are quite a few impressionable young men & boys look up to them and they probably don't want to scare them away

We all do.

Be honest now.
Anyone found guilty will always say sorry only because they were caught

Say sorry great

But they should still be punished if football terms

Monetary
Demoted
Strip of titles

Or all of the above

As there crimes are the worst of all

Green Brigade do not allow any discussion about this scandal on their site. Their attitude appears to be that if they ignore it then it will just go away. (I wonder where they got that idea from)

Of course there are quite a few impressionable young men & boys look up to them and they probably don't want to

We all do.

Be honest now.
There's not a chance in hell that Celtic don't have to pay millions in compensation.

What I really want though is them to acknowledge the abuse carried out by employees at CFC, and very publicly apologise to every one of the victims for both the abuse and the concerted efforts over the years to deny it.

Just fired this off to Private Eye. As their stories are written by hacks anonymously I hope that Lord Strobes will be asking his Scottish reporters, why the silence? We will see.

I am rather surprised that Private Eye has not reported on the alleged paedophile ring operating in Scottish football. I say alleged because there have been a number of convictions for child sex offences at one particular club. So far no one has linked the dots.

It has all the elements for a juicy scandal as apart from the football club itself being central to the ring there are links to Jimmy Saville, a disgraced priest and a Bishop. Barry Bennel of Crewe Alexandra infamy also has a dishonourable mention.

Oh and how could we ignore the attempts to cover up the sexual abuse, the money-laundering (bribes?), the Non Disclosure Agreements, and perhaps a murder. The negligence of Police Alba in the investigation of that murder, the ignoring of newspaper stories, whistle-blowers, biographies and court evidence.

Peripheral to those upstanding members of the community mentioned above a former member of the Government and now a Lord also might have a slight involvement.

Typing the above it starts to look like an Damon Runyan but there is an aggrieved woman intent on revenge for the early death of her brother. I just hope that she is successful and that you assist her.

There's not a chance in hell that Celtic don't have to pay millions in compensation.

What I really want though is them to acknowledge the abuse carried out by employees at CFC, and very publicly apologise to every one of the victims for both the abuse and the concerted efforts over the years to deny it.

An apology, and a very public one at that, is non negotiable.
For what it’s worth I think it will be forthcoming, although the longer they drag their heels over actually doing so, whether through legal advice or not, threatens to dampen it somewhat when it finally arrives.

However, we can be sure that their friends in the media will help portray it as a wonderfully noble gesture while clearly delineating the current board from the actions of previous individuals in the club’s employ.

From a Rangers fans’ perspective, we’re looking for appropriate opprobrium and censure from the political-media establishment.

Remembering how we were battered from pillar to post for our use of what was a perfectly legal tax avoidance scheme, where day after day there were lengthy diatribes from all quarters in the press outraged at this supposedly shameful act that made a mockery of the very essence of sporting integrity, and so on and so forth, we can justifiably ask why the decades long cover up of child abuse within the corridors of Parkhead has not been greeted with similar horror.

So, understanding that messrs Desmond and Lawwell have the media and football authorities sewn up to such an extent that the fury we should expect to see is unlikely to materialise, a devastating hit to their coffers through hefty compensation claims is the only way I think we’ll see an appropriate degree of justice.

Anyone found guilty will always say sorry only because they were caught

Say sorry great

But they should still be punished if football terms

Monetary
Demoted
Strip of titles

Or all of the above

As there crimes are the worst of all

Agreed.

As far as stripping of titles is concerned, someone said in a different thread, their cover-up has given them an unfair playing advantage for the last 40-odd years.

I was thinking about that, and had a wee look at their trophy total. Let's be conservative and go back only as far as 1991, to the cover-up of Frank Cairney's assault on a young boy when the Boys Club were playing in a football tournament in New Jersey. Since then, they've won 15 league titles (giving them access to lucrative Champion's League games), 9 Scottish Cups and 9 Scottish League Cups.

How many of the players who contributed to winning those 33 trophies would have signed for a club knowing it had facilitated child abuse?

Seen a line on Twitter this morning that 2 words have now made Peter Lawwell guilty in the cover up at Celtic Football Club " Separate Entity "

Would be very interesting to understand what he knew from back then when he was FC mate.
I’m sure he was FC around about the time when Brady & Macari we’re there ? If so that’s when the Kearny, NJ incident happened, as well as the Lou Macari story of course.

Worth remembering Torbett would have been, what 18/19 when he started CBC with Celtic.

Are we supposed to believe he just strolled up and said I'm starting a team, can I use your name, badge etc.
And kelly and McGinn let someone not more than a kid himself have all that access and facilities.
Torbett was almost certainly abused himself as a kid. Were there more older adults who used him as the public face of CBC and the ring?

Was he known to, or was there any connection with kelly, McGinn or anyone else at Celtic before 1966? It just seems bizarre he can just rock up to Parkhead with an idea for a team.

Agreed.

As far as stripping of titles is concerned, someone said in a different thread, their cover-up has given them an unfair playing advantage for the last 40-odd years.

I was thinking about that, and had a wee look at their trophy total. Let's be conservative and go back only as far as 1991, to the cover-up of Frank Cairney's assault on a young boy when the Boys Club were playing in a football tournament in New Jersey. Since then, they've won 15 league titles (giving them access to lucrative Champion's League games), 9 Scottish Cups and 9 Scottish League Cups.

How many of the players who contributed to winning those 33 trophies would have signed for a club knowing it had facilitated child abuse?

Tell me how the f*ck abusing young boys gives them a sporting advantage?

Some folk need to wind their neck in, it’s about justice for the victims not stripping titles.

Some folk need to wind their neck in, it’s about justice for the victims not stripping titles.

Absolutely, but as said previously, if a very public apology and minimal financial compensation satisfies the victims, will it also satisfy you?

I reckon Fat Pete will resign quite soon quoting family reasons and attempting to distance himself from past wrongdoings. If this happens the dam might break a bit wider.

We all do.

Be honest now.

That would be a start.

The next step would be what punishment will they be given.

After all, in relation to Rangers administration, Celtic wanted Rangers kicked out of the league. It was all about "integrity".

So out of the league you go Celtic. They'll survive, we did.

Last edited:
Justice for them first of course but from a football point of view a heavy punishment is required surely
Punishment is due, you are correct. But stripping titles is not the punishment. Demotion or points deduction. If they get away with the seperate entity crap then we challenge them on why we didn't have to vote to allow the separate entity into our league set up.

I think the angle some have gone with for that is by remaining silent for years allowing these monsters to continue their abuse and hiding the truth from the kids parents, authorities and the wider public they effectively didn't have any issues when attracting young talented players to their academies, they didn't receive punishment from authorities which wouldve hindered their progress and they didn't have issues with regards to current/future investment due to their undeterred sponsors and shareholders

Justice for them first of course but from a football point of view a heavy punishment is required surely

100%

Are the football authorities just supposed to ignore that one of their member clubs concealed paedophile ring activities for decades.

It's not a question of tackling sporting advantages or anything of that nature. Neither was that the case when we were booted out of football entirely and made to re-apply.

It's about consequences of their actions and punishments for their action, or the lack thereof.

I think the angle some have gone with for that is by remaining silent for years allowing these monsters to continue their abuse and hiding the truth from the kids parents, authorities and the wider public they effectively didn't have any issues when attracting young talented players to their academies, they didn't receive punishment from authorities which wouldve hindered their progress and they didn't have issues with regards to current/future investment due to their undeterred sponsors and shareholders
Bang on the money here

100%

Are the football authorities just supposed to ignore that one of their member clubs concealed paedophile ring activities for decades.

It's not a question of tackling sporting advantages or anything of that nature. Neither was that the case when we were booted out of football entirely and made to re-apply.

It's about consequences of their actions and punishments for their action, or the lack thereof.
If Celtic cant be closed down for this.....

Punishments should range from the era's League titles they won and domestic cups , to transfer embargo for up to 5 years or more and a cap on playing squad numbers plus compensation to the victims and fined for bringing the scottish game into shame .

But what will happen ? .....I hope its above

Punishment is due, you are correct. But stripping titles is not the punishment. Demotion or points deduction. If they get away with the seperate entity crap then we challenge them on why we didn't have to vote to allow the separate entity into our league set up.
Its one of the few issues that do need challenged,
Celtic boys club is CELTIC FC ....make no mistake about it

That would be a start.

The next step would be what punishment will they be given.

After all, in relation to Rangers administration Celtic wanted Rangers kicked out of the league. It was all about "integrity".

So out of the league you go Celtic. They'll survive, we did.

You and I both know that’s not going to happen.

It would take a very determined and skilled lawyer to argue that Celtic’s decades of abuse gave them any sort of sporting advantage.

The appetite to punish them beyond the financial isn’t there.

The only retribution they will face is if the victims and their lawyers go for the jugular and compensation claims spiral into the tens of millions.

As others have pointed out, Penn State have forked out over $100m so far, but they aren't aided and abetted by the American political and media establishments.

I agree, and bringing on field arguments doesn’t help the real victims, don’t turn this into a Rangers/ Celtic thing

But, the new organization argument. So when the new organization came to pass, who allowed the football license to transfer? That was the reason we were put down, a convenient excuse for punishment. If this was not transferred in an appropriate manner, all domestic trophies from 1994 are null and void. Why was Torbett allowed back? I actually think he may have been blackmailing .the Celtic board. The question is, for what?

To me, there could be much more for Celtic to face.

PS, not sure when PL left Celtic, but he was replaced by Protestant David Smith at the end of February 2002.

I agree, and bringing on field arguments doesn’t help the real victims, don’t turn this into a Rangers/ Celtic thing

But, the new organization argument. So when the new organization came to pass, who allowed the football license to transfer? That was the reason we were put down, a convenient excuse for punishment. If this was not transferred in an appropriate manner, all domestic trophies from 1994 are null and void. Why was Torbett allowed back? I actually think he may have been blackmailing .the Celtic board. The question is, for what?

To me, there could be much more for Celtic to face.

PS, not sure when PL left Celtic, but he was replaced by Protestant David Smith at the end of February 2002.
Its all coming out, and all there own doing....lets just watch the massacre unfold

Back