Ryan Jack opens up on the Rangers mentality concern which needs addressed

BlueMeanie

Gers dropped 10 points against Kilmarnock this season and the midfielder is urging his team-mates to right the wrongs of another trophyless season.

Steve Clarke might have teased Rangers fans with his “bye bye” banter but it’s the light blue legions who will be glad to see the back of the Kilmarnock boss.
When Steven Gerrard looks over where his side’s title challenge faltered games against the Ayrshiremen will feature high on the list.
A final-day loss at Rugby Park meant Rangers failed to record a single Premiership victory against Killie and dropped 10 points against the side who finished third.
Gerrard did manage an emphatic Scottish Cup win and a League Cup victory over his former Liverpool coach but it’s safe to say Gers supporters won’t lose too much sleep over Clarke’s departure for Scotland.
Their two defeats at Rugby Park followed morale-boosting Old Firm wins at Ibrox and immediately cancelled out the hard-fought three points against the champions.

And Gers midfielder Ryan Jack said: “In certain games we didn’t show up – like Sunday and the previous one at Rugby Park where we were level on points at the top of the table after the winter break.

“We started badly and never really recovered from that. If you’re going to win leagues you need to come to places like Rugby Park, Easter Road, Pittodrie and take full points.
“We’ve shown we have the ability in the squad to win big games but it’s showing that consistently.
“We did it towards the end of the season but as everyone is trying to make a thing of, there’s no pressure then and you’re playing for pride so we need to do that more consistently throughout the season.
“Part of it is down to mentality. I’ve played in the league a long time so I know what it’s like going to Rugby Park, Easter Road and Tynecastle and they are tough grounds to go to.

“You can’t just turn up and think because you’re Rangers you’re going to win the game. You have to be fully focused and if you aren’t fully focused or switched on results like Sunday’s defeat will happen.
“But the group of players and the run we’ve been on gives me optimism for next season. We’ve shown what we are capable of and the staff we’ve got behind us gives me real hope.
“We’re disappointed obviously to end the season with a defeat and it was a chance missed to make history because there was a lot of talk about no team having won all their post-split fixtures.

“But at the same time it’s hard to have too many complaints because we’ve been on a good run and it just wasn’t to be on the day for us.”
Jack admits Gers face a big summer but not as big as a year ago when former Gerrard had to carry out major changes on and off the park.
He said: “I believe we’ve come a long way and I’m convinced we can challenge for trophies next season because we’re 12 months on and as a staff and group of players we have worked together and know each other better.
“I’m sure there will be more player changes in the summer but it’s about getting focused, coming back for pre-season. The European games come thick and fast so it’s important we’re ready to hit the ground running.”

A good point was raised on H&H few months ago. Once we’ve gone behind this season we’ve struggled to change the tide of a game.

Like Killie in Jan and yesterday, there were bad feelings as soon as we went behind.

Whether it’s that we’ve struggled to tactically alter the game or whether it’s a mentality thing, I don’t know.

But it’s an ability needed in title winning teams.

A good point was raised on H&H few months ago. Once we’ve gone behind this season we’ve struggled to change the tide of a game.

Like Killie in Jan and yesterday, there were bad feelings as soon as we went behind.

Whether it’s that we’ve struggled to tactically alter the game or whether it’s a mentality thing, I don’t know.

But it’s an ability needed in title winning teams.
Funnily enough not holding on when ahead has killed us though.

Killie away, Aberdeen away, Hibs at home, Motherwell away...off the top of my head that’s 9 points ffs!

Last edited:
Hibs away also

Again though, once they equalized it just sort of fizzled out, we didn’t look like going ahead again.

The games we’ve won we’ve pretty much had to win well and control the game.

One of those things I hope we maybe see develop as the squad gets more experienced with each other.

He's not telling us anything we don't already know here,and is discussed on a regular basis on FF.

Mentality for winning the league would be improved if we upgraded him for someone better.
He says what we know, though on Saturday our midfield was devoid of drive and creativity and he is part of that.
A don't think he's had a bad season in the slightest he's had more good games than bad. I do agree that we will need better at some point in the coming seasons but you make out that he's got 2 left feet and is utter shite constantly. That team that was fielded on Sunday was horseshit and I was never expecting any worldy performances.

Absolutely I don't think he is rotten, I'd have him as a sub, though I'd swap defensive midfielder for creative midfielder any day.

A don't think he's had a bad season in the slightest he's had more good games than bad. I do agree that we will need better at some point in the coming seasons but you make out that he's got 2 left feet and is utter shite constantly. That team that was fielded on Sunday was horseshit and I was never expecting any worldy performances.

It’s true what he is saying but I think you only get that mentality by bringing in more quality.

Our squad players are not at the standard need to achieve consistency

Absolutely I don't think he is rotten, I'd have him as a sub, though I'd swap defensive midfielder for creative midfielder any day.
Davis Kamara arfield is my 3 midfielders of choice at the moment I'd have him sub the now also. We lack a wee bit of dig without him in the middle a think sometimes.

We often don't start games at the right tempo, passing the ball across the back line for '5 minutes' like we did on Sunday for instance.

The difference from the week before was night and day, it is difficult to step it up once the tempo is set.

Said it till I'm blue in the face.WE NEED A CAPTAIN.Someone who is a born winner and won't accept a drop in standards from those around him.Difficuilt to find I know but we are never going to win anything with players who lack the hunger to go that extra yard.And we have far too many of that type around at the moment.Players who have come from clubs where mediocrity is acceptable and they can't lose that mind set

Funnily enough not holding on when ahead has killed us though.

Killie away, Aberdeen away, Hibs at home, Motherwell away...off the top of my head that’s 9 points ffs!

Which tends to suggest both individually and collectively that the defence isn't good enough.

In fact it doesn't just suggest it, rather it is shouting it out.

Which tends to suggest both individually and collectively that the defence isn't good enough.

In fact it doesn't just suggest it, rather it is shouting it out.

Does that particular set of fixtures shout that out? I don't know, two of they examples are from our first two away league games this season - it's barely happened since.

The Hibs away game in February sums it up, well for me at any rate.

Now we know the refereeing was abysmal, we know we missed chances, but we also knew deep down that one goal was not enough of a cushion, because at some point we would allow that lot back into the game.

That's not having a degree in hindsight. I'm sure if you were able to look back at the match thread, you'd read these same concerns being voiced during the game.

We need a leader of men at the back, a Butcher type to take the other defenders by the scruff of the neck and take and talk , bully and cajole them through a game.

Of course I'm well aware that we're hardly likely to get that kind of throwback on our budget.

Now we know the refereeing was abysmal, we know we missed chances, but we also knew deep down that one goal was not enough of a cushion, because at some point we would allow that lot back into the game.

That's not having a degree in hindsight. I'm sure if you were able to look back at the match thread, you'd read these same concerns being voiced during the game.

We need a leader of men at the back, a Butcher type to take the other defenders by the scruff of the neck and take and talk , bully and cajole them through a game.

Of course I'm well aware that we're hardly likely to get that kind of throwback on our budget.

The match thread validates %^*& all in football to me, I would be more inclined to read the match thread and assume the exact opposite to be true personally.

The Hibs game, to me didn't scream an issue with defensive issues - it screamed of problems and failing to take chances, we should have scored 6 or 7.

The 0-0 with St Johnstone and 1-1 with Killie (both times) sum it up more for me. Turgid passing and nothing created.

The Hibs games are the other aspect - created plenty but couldn’t score to save ourselves.

The match thread validates %^*& all in football to me, I would be more inclined to read the match thread and assume the exact opposite to be true personally.

The Hibs game, to me didn't scream an issue with defensive issues - it screamed of problems and failing to take chances, we should have scored 6 or 7.

I do think I mentioned we missed chances and I do think we were cheated by the referee that night also.

However, by and large I don't trust this defence to hang onto one goal leads. It would be interesting to know how many times it happened.

The bottom line is, you would appear to be happy enough overall with the defence. That's your prerogative.

I'm not and will go as far as to say if we keep as is next season then we can forget about the league.

The 0-0 with St Johnstone and 1-1 with Killie (both times) sum it up more for me. Turgid passing and nothing created.

The Hibs games are the other aspect - created plenty but couldn’t score to save ourselves.
I agree with that. The St Johnstone game was one of the worst I’ve seen. Ever

I do think I mentioned we missed chances and I do think we were cheated by the referee that night also.

However, by and large I don't trust this defence to hang onto one goal leads. It would be interesting to know how many times it happened.

The bottom line is, you would appear to be happy enough overall with the defence. That's your prerogative.

I'm not and will go as far as to say if we keep as is next season then we can forget about the league.

I think situations change, I don't think for examples our first two away games this season validate much given how much has changed in terms of tactics and personnel since then.

Since the January window we have been solid at the back - we have adressed, adjusted and changed situations as the season has went on

That new year loss to Killie sapped all the good of the OF right out of everyone.

We really do need to up our game in matches like that next season. That’s stating the bloody obvious.

Said it till I'm blue in the face.WE NEED A CAPTAIN.Someone who is a born winner and won't accept a drop in standards from those around him.Difficuilt to find I know but we are never going to win anything with players who lack the hunger to go that extra yard.And we have far too many of that type around at the moment.Players who have come from clubs where mediocrity is acceptable and they can't lose that mind set

We have a captain mate , probably the best player in the league .

It's all irrelevant until season kicks off and we see what happens on the pitch. Words mean nothing. We need a squad who believe we will the title. Not a squad who hope to compete, or hope the filth 'slip up' but a squad who believe we can win it.

Dae we aye?

I think situations change, I don't think for examples our first two away games this season validate much given how much has changed in terms of tactics and personnel since then.

Since the January window we have been solid at the back - we have adressed, adjusted and changed situations as the season has went on

The first two league games saw us drop four points. We were adrift from the get go.

I think, and I may be wrong, the next two away games saw us ship three at the scum hut and we either won at Hamilton and then shipped another three at Livi. Or vice versa. So the defence had us up against it from the start; a start we never recovered from.

By the end of December we had the gap whittled down and then what happened? Worrall and that blow up at Rugby Park.

And that's were Jack is right. We had another nigh on 70 minutes to make up for Worrall's gaff that night and we never looked likely of doing so.

We can all definitely say this was a woulda, coulda, shoulda season. But the players blew it.

I don't believe they should all be given second chances to improve our lot, because in so many games this season the drive, skill and determination just wasn't there.

Without doubt we need a captain. A man to lead by example when the going gets tough.

Maybe because I grew up with John Greig is captain I see the role differently from you.
We have a guy who always takes responsibility, is always talking to his teammates and is often defending his players from the ref but because he isn't shouting til he's blue in the face, he isn't a captain apparently. You reference Greig but him and the other great captains we had often had a team of leaders throughout, there's no coincidence that adding Defoe and the NI captain, our form has improved.

We have a guy who always takes responsibility, is always talking to his teammates and is often defending his players from the ref but because he isn't shouting til he's blue in the face, he isn't a captain apparently. You reference Greig but him and the other great captains we had often had a team of leaders throughout, there's no coincidence that adding Defoe and the NI captain, our form has improved.

We cannot take the debate any further.

You believe Tav is a good captain.

I don't.

I don't think that's necessarily a criticism of Tav but I think you do.

There are very few players in any squad are captain material Some revel in it. For me it just adds a burden to Tav's game.

That's purely my opinion.

We cannot take the debate any further.

You believe Tav is a good captain.

I don't.

I don't think that's necessarily a criticism of Tav but I think you do.

There are very few players in any squad are captain material Some revel in it. For me it just adds a burden to Tav's game.

That's purely my opinion.
I have given you reasons why he is a good captain, you have given a bandwagon blanket statement with no evidence to back it up. There are many reasons we didn't win the league, Tav's leadership capabilities is not one of them, in fact the stats show it's a factor on how we could win 55 next season.

Goldson should be captain next year.

Tav is a fucking quality player, but as a captain, you’re wanting Goldson.

The notion of replacing Tavernier as Captain with another player in the squad is both daft and dumb.

I have given you reasons why he is a good captain, you have given a bandwagon blanket statement with no evidence to back it up. There are many reasons we didn't win the league, Tav's leadership capabilities is not one of them, in fact the stats show it's a factor on how we could win 55 next season.

No, you give reasons why YOU think he is a good captain.

As for the evidence against? The league table and our lamentable cup outings against Dolly, the insipid draws all season long, which have littered the campaign, when a wee bit of grit and determination would, or could have gotten us over the line are there for all to see.

Why not be happy that offensively he's been a star for the club this season? Why be happy to believe him to be something he's obviously not suited to?

We could yatter on all day long and I'm not of a mind to. The bottom line is the defence needs someone in who will take the defence by the scruff of the neck. Keep Tav by all means as captain if you want, but the scruff taker is not Tav.

We often don't start games at the right tempo, passing the ball across the back line for '5 minutes' like we did on Sunday for instance.

The difference from the week before was night and day, it is difficult to step it up once the tempo is set.
I totally agree our tempo from the start at times ( and a lot of times) this season is poor this constant passing back and across is frustrating to watch and if we go behind we rarely look like we can pull it back. Clarke knew exactly how we were going to play and just waited on one of our players dithering with the ball and took full advantage in almost all our league games against them.
As far as Jack's comments saying it is one thing doing it is another, until I see us actually doing it at places like Easter road, pittodrie, rugby park then I will hold judgement on us winning the league. We are making progress but still a long way to go for me.

Last edited:
No, you give reasons why YOU think he is a good captain.

As for the evidence against? The league table and our lamentable cup outings against Dolly, the insipid draws all season long, which have littered the campaign, when a wee bit of grit and determination would, or could have gotten us over the line are there for all to see.

Why not be happy that offensively he's been a star for the club this season? Why be happy to believe him to be something he's obviously not suited to?

We could yatter on all day long and I'm not of a mind to. The bottom line is the defence needs someone in who will take the defence by the scruff of the neck. Keep Tav by all means as captain if you want, but the scruff taker is not Tav.

Yet Richard Gough thinks the way he Captains is the team is perfectly grand.....

Good for him. Presumably he won't be in the country next week.

Its just a funny one isn't it..

On one hand you have Gerrard, McAlister and Gough who validate the idea of Tavernier as Captain - educated football man, who have been there, done it, worn the armband

Then you have well.....

Its just a funny one isn't it..

On one hand you have Gerrard, McAlister and Gough who validate the idea of Tavernier as Captain - educated football man, who have been there, done it, worn the armband

Then you have well.....

A non entity in the grand scheme of things. Feel free to quote me.

And remind me what we've achieved this season?

The square root of fc_uk all.

You might find being losers funny, some of us don't.

Back