Europa League 19/20 - Everything You Need To Know

Aye Gibraltar would be a cracking wee trip, stadium capacity there is small though. Remember Celtic only got a small allocation a few years back?

One thing is clear - Faroe Island's would be a disaster and Finland wouldn't be much better (unless it's Inter Turku)
Great work OP, very good breakdown on the potential ties.
I think will be unlikely Thomas Cook would run a flight in first or 2nd rounds due to plane availability / destinations / price

Faroes , you can get direct scheduled flight from Edinburgh to Sorvagur (Faroes) though would get too late for game if it’s thursday 11th July with flight due to arrive 17:35 & showing 45minute car journey to stadium
(I thought games over there usually started early, but games were played at 7pm in 1st round this season going on uefa site, suppose if you were the adventurous type could book that route & fingers crossed still make kick off if everything went smoothly

How did people get to the Faroes the last time we played there? Am I confused / Is it an urban myth that people did go by boat from Scotland? (Maybe I’m getting mixed up with Scotland fans doing a boat trip over there)

Just looking and that team we played in 1997, Gotu Itrottarfelag, merged with another team in 2008, now called Vikingur.

I'd quite like a trip to the Faroes, seems like a bit of a nightmare to get to though.

As long as we avoid the far eastern countries (Armenia / Georgia etc) I'll be relatively happy and should be manageable travel wise.

I think will be unlikely Thomas Cook would run a flight in first or 2nd rounds due to plane availability / destinations / price

Faroes , you can get direct scheduled flight from Edinburgh to Sorvagur (Faroes) though would get too late for game if it’s thursday 11th July with flight due to arrive 17:35 & showing 45minute car journey to stadium
(I thought games over there usually started early, but games were played at 7pm in 1st round this season going on uefa site, suppose if you were the adventurous type could book that route & fingers crossed still make kick off if everything went smoothly

How did people get to the Faroes the last time we played there? Am I confused / Is it an urban myth that people did go by boat from Scotland? (Maybe I’m getting mixed up with Scotland fans doing a boat trip over there)

Just looking and that team we played in 1997, Gotu Itrottarfelag, merged with another team in 2008, now called Vikingur.

I think most that went via Copenhagen for Gotu in 1997

There was a story in the Rangers News about a couple that went from Newcastle via Norway I think and onto the Faroes from there on the way out came back by a boat into Thurso before heading back to Newcastle to pick their car and come back to Glasgow

Hibs played there recently and the fans chartered a plane I believe.

I remember reading there was a boat that started in Denmark picked up top of Scotland somewhere then onto Faroes but it was stopped.

Copenhagen seems to be a hub for flights to the Faroes going by their arrivals page.
https://www.fae.fo/en/#

You can fly Ryanair from Edinburgh to Copenhagen, also Malmo is near Copenhagen if you can be arsed flying to their then a bus across the bridge to Copenhagen, few did that for champs league qualifier.
Flights about £197 edin to cph return
About £208 cph to fao return
10th - 12th july

We should come through the first two qualifying rounds barring another disaster. The real interest for me is the draw for the 3rd qualifying round where we are unseeded, there are some real big teams that we could be paired with :

AS Roma
Eintracht Frankfurt
Feyenoord
Espanol
Standard Liege
Spartak Moscow
Wolves
AEK Athens

These teams would be a big test for us. Hopefully lightning strikes twice and we draw a lower ranked seed whose stock is high enough to get us seeded in QR4. I think I recall correctly Maribor were the lowest ranked team we could have got last year to get us seeded in QR4. We'd be very fortunate to repeat this twice on the bounce.

Copenhagen seems to be a hub for flights to the Faroes going by their arrivals page.
https://www.fae.fo/en/#

You can fly Ryanair from Edinburgh to Copenhagen, also Malmo is near Copenhagen if you can be arsed flying to their then a bus across the bridge to Copenhagen, few did that for champs league qualifier.
Flights about £197 edin to cph return
About £208 cph to fao return
10th - 12th july
That's getting into expensive territory for a 1st round tie which is why I want to avoid all of those places.

I got Manchester - Thessaloniki last year with 2 nights in a decent hotel for about £160 (there were cheaper options at £125) through easyjet holidays.

Once trains etc were added it was about £260 all in to actually get there.

We should come through the first two qualifying rounds barring another disaster. The real interest for me is the draw for the 3rd qualifying round where we are unseeded, there are some real big teams that we could be paired with :

AS Roma
Eintracht Frankfurt
Feyenoord
Espanol
Standard Liege
Spartak Moscow
Wolves
AEK Athens

These teams would be a big test for us. Hopefully lightning strikes twice and we draw a lower ranked seed whose stock is high enough to get us seeded in QR4. I think I recall correctly Maribor were the lowest ranked team we could have got last year to get us seeded in QR4. We'd be very fortunate to repeat this twice on the bounce.
I'd take Legia tbh. Their seeding should definitely be high enough to get us seeded in Rd4, and they're absolutely gash.

I think most that went via Copenhagen for Gotu in 1997

There was a story in the Rangers News about a couple that went from Newcastle via Norway I think and onto the Faroes from there on the way out came back by a boat into Thurso before heading back to Newcastle to pick their car and come back to Glasgow
we did Al ,there was only about 30 made the trip if I remember correctly

AS Roma
Eintracht Frankfurt
Feyenoord
Espanol
Standard Liege
Spartak Moscow
Wolves
AEK Athens

They weren’t, they were sitting in the middle of the seeded teams. Their coefficient was 22.5, lowest seed we could have got was Apollon Limassol at 10.0. Two teams were seeded lower than us in QR4 taking Maribors seed.I think we got lucky in the draw but we shouldn’t undermine ourselves too much. Our coefficient isn’t close to the standard of our team right now.

They weren’t, they were sitting in the middle of the seeded teams. Their coefficient was 22.5, lowest seed we could have got was Apollon Limassol at 10.0. Two teams were seeded lower than us in QR4 taking Maribors seed.I think we got lucky in the draw but we shouldn’t undermine ourselves too much. Our coefficient isn’t close to the standard of our team right now.

I wasn't referring to Maribor being the lowest QR3 seed we could have drawn in that round. I was referring to them being the lowest QR3 seed we could have gotten to ensure seeding in QR4.

However you are right, on inspection we were the 3rd lowest seed in QR4 last year. It was very close though, with just 1 coefficient point in it.

We certainly are not reflective on our current seeding that's for sure. That's what the damage of demotion has done to us. It's ensuring potentially tough routes to group stages of european tournaments.

Well played OP for this. A man after my own heart. Last season I had an A4 sheet of paper all filled in with various scenarios of who we could draw, what the nearest airports were and what airlines flew there etc. My head is getting sore just thinking about it.

AS Roma
Eintracht Frankfurt
Feyenoord
Espanol
Standard Liege
Spartak Moscow
Wolves
AEK Athens

Frankfurt please.

Well played OP for this. A man after my own heart. Last season I had an A4 sheet of paper all filled in with various scenarios of who we could draw, what the nearest airports were and what airlines flew there etc. My head is getting sore just thinking about it.
I like doing it, done it last year too. When I started yesterday I thought it will be all the same teams with a couple changes so I could copy and paste most (I was wrong)

I started off trying to add flight options but that bit takes the longest especially when the night before it’s down to 5/6 teams and everything else is irrelevant to us. I’d prefer to do it if I have time once we know the exact teams.

My head hurt as the whole process took 6 hours half way through I thought I should’ve of bothered. If I was doing it quickly without taking breaks could’ve done it in an hour or two.

Edited OP - Credit to @rangeral @bigy @Gene_Okerlund for information on threads they've posted.

*Potential opponents updated Levadia Tallinn moved over to seeded in R1 due to Željezničar being refused a UEFA Licence yesterday. They were due payments to an old coach and paid him 4 days late resulting in UEFA not approving licence. Radnik Bijeljina replace them as 5th in Bosnia.

Noticed Kilmarnock are seeded for QR1.

Would be interesting if they got through then drew Roma in QR2...or Wolves.

Fantastic to be involved in Europe again, especially after the heroic efforts of SG's team last season.

I wouldn't mind seeing both Kilmarnock and Aberdeen doing well (unlikely) in Europe..., as for the bheasts, I want them dumped out asap.

Group stage again for Rangers is a must.

Noticed Kilmarnock are seeded for QR1.

Would be interesting if they got through then drew Roma in QR2...or Wolves.

Fantastic to be involved in Europe again, especially after the heroic efforts of SG's team last season.

I wouldn't mind seeing both Kilmarnock and Aberdeen doing well (unlikely) in Europe..., as for the bheasts, I want them dumped out asap.

Group stage again for Rangers is a must.

Would us and Kilmarnock being drawn to play the same day be grounds to have it swapped?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Wolves got them on the same day we play at home.
I'd imagine loads of Wolves fans would travel and base themselves in Glasgow and Police Scotland would shite it.

In saying that though I think Kilmarnock is far enough from Glasgow not to be counted as the same area and not be grounds for date swaps.

I suppose it would depend on the team drawn - Wolves could be a nightmare but a random ream from Montenegro probably not.

Last edited:
Would us and Kilmarnock being drawn to play the same day be grounds to have it swapped?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Wolves got them on the same day we play at home.
I'd imagine loads of Wolves fans would travel and base themselves in Glasgow and Police Scotland would shite it.

In saying that though I think Kilmarnock is far enough from Glasgow not to be counted as the same area and not be grounds for date swaps.

I suppose it would depend on the team drawn - Wolves could be a nightmare but a random ream from Montenegro probably not.

UEFA rule on clubs within a certain distance using the same stadium

21.03 If more than one club from the same city, or within a radius of 50km (31 miles) of each other, is taking part in any of the UEFA club competitions and/or plays in the same stadium, and if the association and the clubs concerned explicitly declare when entering the clubs that their matches cannot be played on the same day or on consecutive days, the UEFA administration may alter or confirm dates and kickoff times in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile.../Regulations/02/55/82/82/2558282_DOWNLOAD.pdf

As you seen with our game back in July with Shkupi that was a city issue but in 2017 St Etienne had to play Manchester United on the Wednesday due to Lyon also scheduled to be at home in the that round the radius issue kicked in

I think neither would not be moved since we don't us the same stadium but the radius could kick in however as per the Shkupi issue it is not always that clear cut as well

All down to the draw

Last edited:
I see we made seeding for second round which is great news. Just noticed Mostar are unseeded but have same coefficient as us, how was this sorted out ?

UEFA rule on clubs within a certain distance using the same stadium

21.03 If more than one club from the same city, or within a radius of 50km (31 miles) of each other, is taking part in any of the UEFA club competitions and/or plays in the same stadium, and if the association and the clubs concerned explicitly declare when entering the clubs that their matches cannot be played on the same day or on consecutive days, the UEFA administration may alter or confirm dates and kickoff times in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile.../Regulations/02/55/82/82/2558282_DOWNLOAD.pdf

As you seen with our game back in July with Shkupi that was a city issue but in 2017 St Etienne had to play Manchester United on the Wednesday due to Lyon also scheduled to be at home in the that round the radius issue kicked in

I think neither would not be moved since we don't us the same stadium but the radius could kick in however as per the Shkupi issue it is not always that clear cut as well

All down to the draw
So effectively we’re going to be in communication with Killie aswell as the 31 miles rule applies to us (google tells me 23 miles driving).

Even if we’re not drawn on the same day we’ll need to check that their opponent can accommodate them on the date.

Is there something about the higher seed having first choice? I seem to remember Shkupi having to wait on others confirming as they were lowest seeded out the other Skopje clubs (I might’ve made that up)

A bit off topic, but how important is the travel club card when collecting tickets? Mines belongs to Moscow now.

Drivers licence or passport is fine. I used my drivers licence for all the trips I went on last year due to not receiving my TC card in time.

AS Roma
Eintracht Frankfurt
Feyenoord
Espanol
Standard Liege
Spartak Moscow
Wolves
AEK Athens

One thing for sure none of those teams would relish drawing us at this stage of the season. The lack of competitive game time is a great leveller - see sheep v Burnley last year as proof.

So effectively we’re going to be in communication with Killie aswell as the 31 miles rule applies to us (google tells me 23 miles driving).

Even if we’re not drawn on the same day we’ll need to check that their opponent can accommodate them on the date.

Is there something about the higher seed having first choice? I seem to remember Shkupi having to wait on others confirming as they were lowest seeded out the other Skopje clubs (I might’ve made that up)

I presume the higher ranked side get automatically 1st choice - Vardar got that right back in July

There could no issues but we just have to wait and what happens on June 19th

Back