Liverpool v Napoli friendly at Murrayfield?

Jimmy Jazz

I stay just up the road so would like to get down to this.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/murrayfield-could-host-liverpool-v-16353742

Murrayfield could host Liverpool v Napoli pre-season friendly

Italian opposition could also feature in the game scheduled for late July

Liverpool are considering using Murrayfield as a venue for a pre-season fixture on 28 or 29 of July.

The Anfield club, who face Tottenham in this Saturday night’s UEFA Champions League final, had been in discussions with their opponents over using their newly opened stadium for a fixture ahead of the new season.

Those talks have ended though, and the Anfield club are exploring the possibility of heading to Edinburgh to potentially play Italian Serie A side Napoli at the home of Scottish rugby.

Promoted Stories

The venue has hosted glamours friendlies before, except those did at least involve Hearts and Hibs.

The Jambos faced Barcelona in July 2007. A crowd of almost 58,000 watched Juho Makela cancel out Ronaldinho’s opener before the Brazilian scored a second and Mexican Gio Dos Santos added a third to seal a 3-1 win for Los Cules.

They were back in the Scottish capital a year later, this time to take on Hibs. This was a more one-sided affair, as a Lionel Messi-inspired Barca strolled to a 6-0 win over the Hibees, watched by a much smaller crowd of just under 24,000.

Murrayfield has been used for football on several occasions before since. Hearts have played a number of European ties there, as have Celtic, while the pair faced in other at the stadium in last season’s Betfred Cup semi-final.

Decent chance of this happening I would imagine after Liverpool pulled out of using Spurs ground as a venue for a friendly, around that time.

Which is why it’s a slap in the face to Scottish football, sell out Saturdays etc
We would sell out a friendly there though.

I know what you mean about the diddy eleven but I think Scottish football would hate it more if we sold out Murrayfield for a friendly than if Liverpool did.

Seen this last night

Anfield getting a new pitch hence why not at Anfield

As the article says they have ended talks of using Tottenham

Liverpool played Napoli in Dublin last year

Last edited:
It’ll be that International Champions Cup thing they have every pre season now, I went to Chelsea v Arsenal in Dublin last year. Believe Man Utd are playing Milan in Cardiff this year. It’s a strange set up.

Unless they are playing a Scottish team why have this game in Scotland?

Maybe there looking at venues nothing wrong with that

Same game was played in Dublin last year as I stated

It’ll be that International Champions Cup thing they have every pre season now, I went to Chelsea v Arsenal in Dublin last year. Believe Man Utd are playing Milan in Cardiff this year. It’s a strange set up.

Liverpool aren't in the ICC this season

Liverpool v Napoli is a one-off Friendly

Yeah Manchester United v AC Milan is in Cardiff on 3rd August

better tell them to bring a lawnmower.
maybe jurgen likes the natural German woman's oxster feel though

Only four hours drive from Kirby ........ will there be an Alloy/Car Stereo left in Auld Reekie by the end of match day?

Great for Edinburgh and Scotland as a whole.

We need more sporting events that attract major tourism opportunities.

Further cements the idea; have one stadium. Murrayfield is far better equipped for such events.

Struggling to see what’s negative about this at all?

It will sell out no bother.

Liverpool alone will likely bring up 20,000 (at least) before even considering local interest.

Canny understand the mentality of folk who would go to a game like that as a neutral fan. They are always pish. Even your own teams pre season friendlies are pish aside of the day out bevvying in the summer type away trips side of things.

It will sell out no bother.

Liverpool alone will likely bring up 20,000 (at least) before even considering local interest.

Doubt they would sell out a pre season friendly at Anfiled never mind one a couple of hundred miles away in a bigger stadium.

Canny understand the mentality of folk who would go to a game like that as a neutral fan. They are always pish. Even your own teams pre season friendlies are pish aside of the day out bevvying in the summer type away trips side of things.

You answer your own question.

Just for families/give kids somet to see really to me but see it being a dear day for many. Went the Barca/Hibs one in 2008 mind and Barca looked so switched on with hindsight now you realise how special they were.

The wee mans English team is Liverpool only 10 mins from the house so looks like we’ll be going

I don't think its too hard to see the appeal in this and why it will most likely sell out.

If your Mrs is away to concerts all year Ed Sheeran, Take That, Spice Girls whatever else - something like this is a decent excuse for folk who maybe don't get to games often.

A day out at Murrayfield, groups of work pals, likely even get groups of folk who have pals who are Hibs, Hearts, Celtic fans using it as an excuse to go to a game together.

Then chuck in EPL fans, Liverpool fans kids etc.

Cracking actually - excellent venue for accommodating what will be a mostly neutral venue as well.

it will be another kick in the baws to anyone who sees Murrayfield as anything other than what should be the go to stadium for events in Scotland.

A good chance for folk to see the Champions of Europe. Kids will also be buzzing to get the chance to see superstars like Salah, mane, firmino etc in the flesh.

Oh yes please.

Was eyeing up the Super Cup in Istanbul but cant be arsed. This friendly will do though.

Only got back from Madrid last night. Knackered.

Great for Edinburgh and Scotland as a whole.

We need more sporting events that attract major tourism opportunities.

Further cements the idea; have one stadium. Murrayfield is far better equipped for such events.

Struggling to see what’s negative about this at all?

Agree to an extent but can’t help but feel it’s another attempt for the premier league to force itself on us. If they want to play in Scotland then why not one of our teams, give outlet teams some exposure.

Would still get a decent crowd of both neutrals, Liverpool fans and Scottish fans for their own team. Shown when Barca played hibs/hearts at murrayfield years ago.

Back