Glasgow politician to meet with Scottish football bosses over Celtic Boys' Club abuse

I still can’t really get over Lawwell’s letter back to Adam Tomkins last week. Imagine the arrogance and sheer pomposity of using phrases like the “due process of law”, which involves secret insurance company led investigation, to a professor of law? Or braying condescendingly about “misconceptions of liability”, again to a professor of law, who has to point out he has never even mentioned liability.

I think Lawwell has become so used to running rings around the incompetent, sycophantic fools that comprise most of the Scottish press and football authorities that he doesn’t realise how exposed, stupid and arrogant that letter made him and his rotten club look.

I still can’t really get over Lawwell’s letter back to Adam Tomkins last week. Imagine the arrogance and sheer pomposity of using phrases like the “due process of law”, which involves secret insurance company led investigation, to a professor of law? Or braying condescendingly about “misconceptions of liability”, again to a professor of law, who has to point out he has never even mentioned liability.

I think Lawwell has become so used to running rings around the incompetent, sycophantic fools that comprise most of the Scottish press and football authorities that he doesn’t realise how exposed, stupid and arrogant that letter made him and his rotten club look.

Brilliant post mate.

The problem Celtic have got at the minute is that Tompkins has the full backing of the Scottish Conservative party on this, and unlike the SNP and Scottish labour PL can't control that or them, he panicked when he came out with the secret investigation nonsense for this very reason.

The SFA will have similar concerns.

I have no doubt Tompkins will not back down on this at all, and the more mistakes they make the worse it will be for them.

What about Ruth the Truth?

She's an absolute embarrassment and clearly shiting herself to take on Wee Nikla.

Her silence is nothing short of disgraceful!
Very fair point, the opposition are as guilty if not more for not pressing the Government on this. She should be doing an awful lot more in Scotland on this issue as well as pressing the wider UK Parliament for action

Hopefully this is the start of that vile self proclaimed institutions downfall. And I don’t see him stopping there. The SFA need investigating also. Westminster will also have to take notice on this now. Secret internal probe in their words(meaning attempted coverup) has put them deeper in it. This is going to be an interesting few months. Are their sponsors now going to sit back and make no comment? I personally don’t think so. I want to see the end of Celtic over this. 50 years of coverups and child abuse. A disgusting club along with the cult of Catholicism who have a history of child abuse. Celtic knew this was going to happen eventually but the filthy bastards have let it drag on and attempted to distance themselves from it every time they have been confronted on the subject. British justice will be served on them. I’m confident on that.

Very fair point, the opposition are as guilty if not more for not pressing the Government on this. She should be doing an awful lot more in Scotland on this issue as well as pressing the wider UK Parliament for action
There are certain subjects politicians steer clear off and Celtic's sex pests from Dr Death down is one. However, now that one MSP has been brave enough to pop his head above the parapet, I would hope others will follow. There comes a point where it becomes difficult to stay silent on a subject, even if its one you ignored previously but its all about momentum and the last few weeks have seen a rise in that. The tide has turned I reckon.

The problem Celtic have got at the minute is that Tompkins has the full backing of the Scottish Conservative party on this, and unlike the SNP and Scottish labour PL can't control that or them, he panicked when he came out with the secret investigation nonsense for this very reason.

The SFA will have similar concerns.

I have no doubt Tompkins will not back down on this at all, and the more mistakes they make the worse it will be for them.

That sounds encouraging.
I take it wee Ruth has given him her full backing.
What has she been saying regarding this scandal ?

Politicians have a duty to serve the people that elected them
Politicians have a duty to protect societies vulnerable people
Politicians have a duty to protect the countries future as in our children
Politicians have a duty to ensure that they show no favour or bias and to serve the electorate without favour
It is a dreadful state of affairs when criminality of the worst kind involving harbouring paedophiles is met with total disdain and silence from our elected representatives
Why is it only Adam Tomkins that is showing true concern
I find it very disturbing that mp’s cannot put their bigotry and desperation for votes aside for once and do their moral duty
Justice for the victims and their families
An independent public inquiry held out-with Scotland and
every last person involved in this scandal dragged through court
and given appropriate prison sentences
Nail these inhumane scumbags to the floor

Again this piece is trying to say they are looking into every avenue with their internal investigation. I would bet my life savings no such “investigation “has been ongoing. Why not say this when Torbett was jailed. Trying to cover their asses after the separate entity shite. Ask them to prove they have done all these things. Liars from cradle to the grave.
I think they may have done some kind of investigation not to help the victims but to see if they're liable for it and I don't think they liked the answer they got that's why they're trying to distance themselves from it

Funny how Dornan has crawled back under his stone and gone very quiet again

Given he never reported any of the rumours of child abuse to the police when his son played for CBC and CFC

Dornan is a pathetic 19th Century Terrorist Bastard who should be voted out of his cushy MSP job as notfit for purpose

Fair play to this MSP for pressing and demanding action.....but what the %^*& are thompsons solicitors doing?,have they actually lodged papers in court yet...or are they just fannying around waiting on a pay day,without hearing the evidence?

Politicians have a duty to ensure that they show no favour or bias and to serve the electorate without favour
It is a dreadful state of affairs when criminality of the worst kind involving harbouring paedophiles is met with total disdain and silence from our elected representatives
I find it very disturbing that mp’s cannot put their bigotry and desperation for votes aside for once and do their moral duty
Top post,well said.
100% in agreement.

Through Liewells machinations there are many of his placements, sycophants and apologists in positions at the SFA.

Wouldn't be surprised if the SFA getting in touch with Tomkins has been solicited by Liewell. His motivation would be twofold.
1. They would be a conduit straight back to Liewells lair.
2. They would be engineering the convenient narrative that it's an enquiry encompassing all Clubs and not specifically pointed at the paedophile ring at Parkhead.

Regardless, we should not underestimate the political courage that Tomkins has displayed in a corrupt and hostile environment by doing the right thing.
He is also showing personal courage, these bastards will not take this at all well. He has put his own safety at risk.

That sounds encouraging.
I take it wee Ruth has given him her full backing.
What has she been saying regarding this scandal ?

I only know a couple of Tory councillors however they have said Tompkins wouldn’t have taken something so high profile without backing, if not being picked for it, it’s the sort of the thing that is a tightrope in regards votes, so they it will have came from the top of the Scottish Conservatives that it is ok to go for it
The more that come out and vocally agree with him from the tories the more it will dilute his argument and give political enemies the chance to jump on “its a Tory agenda” “Tory bad” deflection tactic, hence he will be majorly be a lone voice which IMO is the right tactic, just look at masons response

At the end of the day this is about justice, politics shouldn’t play a part but at the minute Scotland is such a mess this will have an effect on the parties that either stand up, or ignore it.

Last edited:

Great post Goggs ;)

I only know a couple of Tory councillors however they have said Tompkins wouldn’t have taken something so high profile without backing, if not being picked for it, it’s the sort of the thing that is a tightrope in regards votes, so they it will have came from the top of the Scottish Conservatives that it is ok to go for it, you just have to look at Masons response

The more that come out and vocally agree with him from the tories the more it will dilute his argument and give political enemies the chance to jump on “its a Tory agenda” “Tory bad” deflection tactic, hence he will be majorly be a lone voice which IMO is the right tactic.

At the end of the day this is about justice, politics shouldn’t play a part but at the minute Scotland is such a mess this will have an effect on the parties that either stand up, or ignore it.
Makes sense, if you look at it from that perspective and probably the right move to make all things considered mate.
Definitely have to give respect to prof Tomkins on taking this to them on his own.
Already, he's weathering a storm of vile abuse from the unwashed hordes on social media.
A very courageous man in my opinion.

I only know a couple of Tory councillors however they have said Tompkins wouldn’t have taken something so high profile without backing, if not being picked for it, it’s the sort of the thing that is a tightrope in regards votes, so they it will have came from the top of the Scottish Conservatives that it is ok to go for it
The more that come out and vocally agree with him from the tories the more it will dilute his argument and give political enemies the chance to jump on “its a Tory agenda” “Tory bad” deflection tactic, hence he will be majorly be a lone voice which IMO is the right tactic, just look at masons response

If the tories see this through they have my vote until I die.
This is a massive issue to me.

maybe mr tompkins could invite some of the families of the abuse victims over to holyrood , and have them in the public gallery when he gets the opportunity to go for stompy and her vile justice secretary and their lack of anything whatsoever to say about this scandal , make the bastards squirm in public view and hopefully shame them into at the very least, acknowledging these people and the suffering they still have to endure

A GLASGOW politician is to meet with SFA bosses to discuss concerns about Celtic Football Club's handing of historical abuse involving the team's boys club.

Conservative MSP Adam Tomkins said he had also asked for a meeting with Peter Lawwell, the club's Chief Executive but the club had not been forthcoming.

Mr Tomkins voiced criticism after the Herald and Times group revealed that Celtic had been carrying out it's own 2-year investigation, in secret, looking into historical abuse cases involving Celtic Boys Club.
It follows a string of convictions for former employees including Jim Caffrey and Frank Cairney.
The probe – which is ongoing – has been headed by senior officials, legal counsel and third parties in complete secrecy as it looks to trawl through years of allegations to reach the truth.
Because of the sensitivity around the claims including potentially both legal and civil actions, only a handful of people have been privy to the operation.

However, Mr Tomkins has written a second letter to Mr Lawwell, accusing the club of not putting abuse victims "at the forefront" of it's investigations. Other criticisms levelled against the club include a failure as yet to put in place a compensation package for victims.
He writes: "On the same day I wrote to you, I received a letter from the SFA. They have been in touch to arrange a meeting. It's a pity you have not done likewise.
"How a wholly secret investigation at the best of an insurance company, can constitute a process designed to put the rights and interests of victims at the forefront?"

Mr Tomkins added: "My main criticisms are: 1. that what Celtic have said about the relationship between the football club and the boys club (ie that they are “entirely separate organisations”) does not appear to true and 2. that Celtic’s processes have been entirely secret and cannot therefore have been designed to help and support victims, which much surely be the paramount consideration."
Celtic came under renewed criticism when Jim McCafferty became the fourth person connected with Celtic Boys’ Club or the club itself to be jailed over abuse.
He was caged for six years, following Jim Torbett, Frank Cairney and Gerald King through the justice system.

Public Inquiry.

Severest punishments for Celtic if it transpires their directors and staff coluded to conceal the paedo ring.

Kicked out of football and made to reapply.

Stripped of “honours” earned during period of abuse concealment.

Compo to victims.

Then, and only then, a sincere apology

Makes sense, if you look at it from that perspective and probably the right move to make all things considered mate.
Definitely have to give respect to prof Tomkins on taking this to them on his own.
Already, he's weathering a storm of vile abuse from the unwashed hordes on social media.
A very courageous man in my opinion.

The man will need police protection soon , nothing surer .

maybe mr tompkins could invite some of the families of the abuse victims over to holyrood , and have them in the public gallery when he gets the opportunity to go for stompy and her vile justice secretary and their lack of anything whatsoever to say about this scandal , make the bastards squirm in public view and hopefully shame them into at the very least, acknowledging these people and the suffering they still have to endure
And a few of their supporters there outside, with a banner or two.

Maybe the victims and their families should pretend they have been hit with a coin whilst wearing a padded jacket
Think about how this was discussed by our elected officials the very next day in our sham parliament
Then think about the contrast in treatment which these poor victims and their families have had to endure for what can only be described as the most horrific and vile crimes known to mankind
The only conclusion I can make is that our mp’s are devoid of a moral compass and without conscience or blatantly biased
These people are being well paid to provide a public service, a public service to every one of their electorate equally
They actually swear to uphold this
They should all be charged with a dereliction of duty
I know most of them don’t want to break rank because they are going against their indoctrination but surely the protection of young children supersedes all of this
Our country, and it is our country, is heading down a very dark alley
Someone has to shine the Spotlight on this

If the tories see this through they have my vote until I die.
This is a massive issue to me.
I feel the same. I’ve been accused of having this view because it’s Celtic. Only a small minded person would think that. This is criminal what they have done and they have covered it up for half a century. I hope the victims families get justice more than anything else. But that club has to be brought to its knees. And the reason I say that is not only the convicted should be punished. The people who knew also need to be brought before the British justice system. Ex serving members who served in Northern Ireland are being brought in front of the courts. We all know what I’m talking about. Especially ex regiment lads. We done nothing but served our country and the queen. But some bastards can stand outside the piggery promoting the IRA and raise money for their so called combatants and our police are powerless? That hurts not only me but a lot of us who’ve served. Maybe I’m going a bit deep. I apologise for that. But when an English ex para turns round to me and says ffs pal. Look what we done and your country let’s them march the streets then I’ve no answer for him. So I will vote conservative now for that reason Grigo. I’ll probably get hammered for this. Not just us paras. But every serving member that served across the water. Hold your head up high. British justice needs to be served on the poison that is in our society. Call it out as they call it. Fck off out our free society if you don’t like it. Child abuse and promoting IRA.
Ok rant over. I’m going to walk away now ;)

Back