Stadio San Nicola (Bari)

Always seemed like one of those stadiums that would be built for the WC and then never really needed (capacity-wise) afterwards.

Saw the stadium on the way to Athens looked like it was surrounded by waste ground and rubble

That is a shame to hear that about Bari.
They were actually a decent team and signed David Platt after Italia ‘90.
Memories would be a Czech player bending a free kick into the top corner, (might actually have been Timmy’s favourite sub) Platt’s header, in the 3rd place play off against Italy(Baggio with a lovely winner)
Did Roger Milla score a few there too?
I know his double against Colombia was elsewhere but I’m thinking he scored there too?

That is a shame to hear that about Bari.
They were actually a decent team and signed David Platt after Italia ‘90.
Memories would be a Czech player bending a free kick into the top corner, (might actually have been Timmy’s favourite sub) Platt’s header, in the 3rd place play off against Italy(Baggio with a lovely winner)
Did Roger Milla score a few there too?
I know his double against Colombia was elsewhere but I’m thinking he scored there too?
Romania played there too. I remember the commentators saying that the Italian government had paid for 500 fans to travel from Romania, post the collapse of communism, so they would have some support. They had the flags with the communist logo cut out.

Romania played there too. I remember the commentators saying that the Italian government had paid for 500 fans to travel from Romania, post the collapse of communism, so they would have some support. They had the flags with the communist logo cut out.
Remember Romania played there now. That’s who Milla/ Miller got his double against.
Lacatus scored a double in Romania’s first game there if I’m not mistaken? One was a penalty.

It's starting to crumble now. Large sections of the roof have been taken down before they fall down. Stadium on the outskirts of the town with virtually no transport links apart from 1 bus which passes by on it's return route from the city and 1 shuttle bus on the day of the game.
There was talk about building a railway out to it but can't imagine the region having the money.

Went there in 2005 for a serie B game whilst on holiday - was about 9000 in a stadium of 50k and even then was showing signs of neglect - weeds growing up through tarmac in car park

I loved it though, sat in sun with top off, bloke selling beers, ultras going mad. Had a soft spot for them ever since

Went to a wedding in Puglia a few years back and driving through Bari we passed the stadium...

It looked in rough shape almost abandoned...

Love the south of Italy though....the food and people were amazing!

Back