Albertzs long range shots

Due to my age I don't recall much of Ibrox before 98' really but I'm sitting here thinking I've yet to see someone who can strike a ball like this man. Is there anyone that any bears/ettes could come up with to be close?

I’ve got writers cramp on this one, we have a manager who was superb on this front. Unfortunately it would appear our players are NOT being trained on a technical front, that seems to be second nature to German football. We still play pussy foot football.

Ronald Koeman could whack a ball but wasn't a match for Der Hammer.

Didn't he keep injuring our Goalkeepers during training? I'm sure either Klos or Niemi ended up with metal screws in their hand after saving an Albertz shot.

I'm sure a young McGregor got badly injured saving an Albertz effort in training.

He's the best I've seen.
Says something for the confidence of Amo that he must have seen that all the time in training and still think "he good, but no as good as Lorenzo"

Adidas recorded an Albertz shot at 89mph , Alan Shearer was close at 84.. was a random thing at a Predator boot launch
Remember that at the time, around the time he joined. Shearer wore umbro speciali though, strange him being there. Although he could hit a ball too.

The only other Rangers player i can remember who was close to Albertz at ball skelping was Andy Penman.

Of course our current manager would come into this categorie as well.

Albertz was almost one of a kind. Whilst players with his dig are rare, I feel we lack a midfield player who can pick the ball up 30/35 yards out and have good go. That would help us against teams who park the bus because it stops the box being packed. It also increases the chances of the keeper being unsighted or deflections. Stevie G knows a thing or two about that. :))

Loved Albertz. Although not his trademark thunderbolt, his goal against the mentally challengeds in the Scottish cup semi final at Parkhead was sublime.

I remember a Scottish cup tie at Ibrox v some lower league team where Jorg poleaxed some poor defender who got in the way of a free kick. It was 1996 I recall.

Lots of bears' favourite Ranger in the last 30 years including mine, even though Laudrup was the best in that time.

That shot of his was great for turning one point into three. Remember some yahoo in College asking me what we'll do when Albertz stops bailing us out :))

I remember him smashing one into someone's face in the wall, against Hibs I think, absolutely flattened him. The guy sitting in front of me got up and without saying a word just stood there making the "substitution" gesture with his fingers towards the dugout. I was pishing myself.

For a short period the bookies inside Ibrox were giving 10/1 on him for first goalscorer. It was a dream bet as he was on pens and free kicks. Think they cut it to 5/1 within a month:)

Albertz was almost one of a kind. Whilst players with his dig are rare, I feel we lack a midfield player who can pick the ball up 30/35 yards out and have good go. That would help us against teams who park the bus because it stops the box being packed. It also increases the chances of the keeper being unsighted or deflections. Stevie G knows a thing or two about that. :))

We rarely shoot from outside the box.

It is absolutely infuriating at times.

I've been watching Rangers since 1969 and in all that time I've never seen a more reliable free kick taker. So many times you just knew a goal was coming and you could smell the fear from the opposing players in the wall. And what about those goals against the scum in successive weeks in 1998? A real legend and a genuinely nice guy to boot.

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know if he's been mentioned yet but the only other player ive seen hit a ball like Albertz did was John Arne Riise.

It was the first time I seen a speedometer being used on Sky Sports with any regularity when he was playing. Not a chance I'd want to be in the wall!

Just to throw this in but Giovanni van bronckhorsts free kick v galatasaray is the hardest I've ever seen a football struck by a rangers player.

My son had pictures of three of our players on his bedroom wall - Amo, Ronald De Boer and The Hammer.
He's been married and away for over 11 years now but I've never moved those pictures.

Always remember a game at pittodrie and he had an effort blocked by Stewart Mckimme (sp?) and as it struck him on the back of the legs it actually knocked him clean over :D

Back