Glenn Middleton to join Doncaster Rovers on loan

Having watched a lot of league one last season, i'd say the spl is a better standard, but the boy needs regular game time which he'll get down there

Overall I'd agree mate, but at least Doncaster are one of the better teams.

I am not overly convinced that's a move to develop and return as much as it is to put him in the shop window for a move out.

He will develop far better at a Doncaster side playing decent football at the top end of league 1 than he would at a Hamilton or St Johnstone.

You mean like when a diddy team like the sheep gave Burnley and run over 2 games ? If we need to loan him out then fine, there would have been SPL clubs who would have taken him run a heart beat and given him game time at a higher level and in the league we eventually expect him to play in.

If that's the case then hopefully it's a successful move.

Fair point, as is the Dele Alli one.

It’s almost like you went off half cocked, with literally no knowledge of the wider situation.

I'm all for this sort of move. For years we've seen a player come in and show a bit of promise and then falter and be freed to move to the likes of Hearts or Dundee Utd and have an average career.

There's a real issue with Scottish youth development at Middleton's. Loads of the players and teams compete with the top level talent at youth tournaments both at club and international level and never make the step to continuing their development.

We have to find a way of bridging the gap from early promise to be able to feature for Rangers regularly at the level we require.

Liverpool are doing it with the likes of Ojo. He's featured for their first team and they're looking to get him at a level (hopefully in the Europa League with us) where it's more than he'll feature at in development leagues or lower divisions.

Us doing the same with Middleton is bang on.

Overall I'd agree mate, but at least Doncaster are one of the better teams.
They were rotten at the Stadium of Light on Good Friday but top 6 finish suggests they're one of the better teams. I think a lot will depend on if they can hang on to John Marquis.

A good move for him. He was like a ringer in the reserves last season. Step up in level will do him good.

However as others have said, I’d like to see us loan players to Scottish Premiership teams. The likes of Hearts, Ross County, St Johnstone or even Motherwell would also be good.

The rest are cunts or have fake pitches.

He's in good company with Ali Crawford down there. A good Rangers lad. Think this is a good move for all parties, Middleton needs to absolutely smash next season..

Doncaster a great a move at his age. Hopefully start every week and build in confidence/ability.

Don't really understand the he needs to be loaned up here to weaken them etc. Lets focus on winning the league on our own

Showed glimpses of an excellent player this season, particularly in Europe.

Hope he has a productive season.

Rather see our players go to SPL teams.

Not up nor down about this but I know I’ll see zero Donny games next season.

All the very best to Glenn. Huge potential.

This.

Glenn Middleton isn't going to be a starter for a Championship side in England. So, League One it is.
Why shouldnt he start? He's a teriffic player already,way better than most of the crap we invite to Rangers on loan.Pretty sure this demotion will be a real downer for the boy.:(

A Rangers supporting manager and centre midfielder and a club not too far away from Glasgow should help to get him settled in and firing on all cylinders straight away.

They were rotten at the Stadium of Light on Good Friday but top 6 finish suggests they're one of the better teams. I think a lot will depend on if they can hang on to John Marquis.

Doncaster are also rans. They usually Hibs things quite spectacularly.

I've seen them many times, they're absolutely pish and Middleton will light them up.

A good move for him. He was like a ringer in the reserves last season. Step up in level will do him good.

However as others have said, I’d like to see us loan players to Scottish Premiership teams. The likes of Hearts, Livingston, Ross County, St Johnstone or even Motherwell would also be good.

The rest are cunts or have fake pitches.

Livingston has the worst pitch in the league mate.

Good move for all 3 parties.Middleton has a lot of potential.I actually really like that we now send young players with potential like him,Docherty and Hastie out on loan to develop in first teams.Its something most modern football clubs in a good place and with a forward outlook do.Changed days for us but we're now getting there.

Great to hear! Hopefully allows him to get game time and improve. There’s a highly talented player there and hopefully that loan helps us see that more often.

For anyone complaining, do you honestly think we’ll win the league with a 19-year-old? not to mention that he’ll just be sitting around doing nothing due to how many wingers we have now.

An obvious sign that we're upgrading for next season. Wasn't fair on Glenn that we looked to him to change a game we were struggling in so often last season.

Give him a year to develop and replace him with someone like Jones is already the first sign of improvement in our overall squad.

Middleton has great potential. This is a positive move both for him and Rangers. I hope the young lad embraces it in this way. Two/Three years down the line I reckon we will reap the benefits.

Why shouldnt he start? He's a teriffic player already,way better than most of the crap we invite to Rangers on loan.Pretty sure this demotion will be a real downer for the boy.:(
What team in the English Championship would be be a regular starter then ?

I think the lad will be fine. He is sensible and realistic to know that he's not getting in the first team at Rangers so this is as good a move as any for him. The writing has been on the wall for some time in terms of a loan move.

If he makes it work this can be a good move for him - and will help his confidence. The boy can come back a man.

Indeed mate.

%^*& the development, let's loan a player out to St Mirren in the poor SPL so we can get it up Celtic..........o_O:rolleyes:

Mental doesn't even cover it mate.

Wonder what our coaching staff would make of some of the posts, if they ever had a look?

What team in the English Championship would be be a regular starter then ?

I think the lad will be fine. He is sensible and realistic to know that he's not getting in the first team at Rangers so this is as good a move as any for him. The writing has been on the wall for some time in terms of a loan move.

If he makes it work this can be a good move for him - and will help his confidence. The boy can come back a man.
I really disagree,sorry:)

Not re Middleton but just the notion of loans for development in general - always find a bit of fans wanting too apply a thing they want to be true to a loan re that idea.

If I was a player I would rather have 25 hours quality coaching at a solid team week over 90 minutes of game time in the lower leagues during my "development"

Last edited:
Mental doesn't even cover it mate.

Wonder what our coaching staff would make of some of the posts, if they ever had a look?

Jeez, could you imagine....:eek::D:D:D:D

Tav gets stripped of the captaincy. Reasons? The fans don't think he screams in his team mates faces enough.

Glenn Middleton goes to St Mirren, he would ask why. Because it gets it right up Celtic in a "double strike" Glenn, get with the programme, your development can wait.

:D:D:D:D

Not re Middleton but just the notion of loans for development in general - always find a bit of fans wanting too apply a thing they want to be true to a loan re that idea.

If I was a player I would rather have 25 hours quality coaching a week over 90 minutes of game time during my "development"
That's fair enough, but the evidence shows that's not how players develop.

It’s a good move. He was getting nowhere near the first team this season. The football is a better level down there and hopefully he will get plenty of game time and improve as a player.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how we structure our loan deals, do we receive an initial fee, or does the other club pay the wages or is there penalties applied if our player isn’t getting game time?

League 1 is probably the same standard as the SPL, and he is only 19. A championship team is hardly going to rely on a 19 year old loanee from us are they?
The SPL isn't great, but its better than League 1. I watch Blackpool occasionally for my sins, as my wife is a fan, and most SPL teams would comfortably win against league 1 sides.

Decent move but I’d be astonished if there wasn’t a couple of SPFL clubs that would have snapped him up in a minute.

It’s been discussed to death on here but we need to be sending our players on the fringes of the first team to other clubs in the league. Two-strike approach.

I agree, would prefer him at a bigger club.

We should be loaning out to other teams in our league, where they can potentially damage our rivals and then are unable to play against ourselves.

It would also be more helpful and a better gauge as to how they are at our level of football.

Good move for him, needs to get a bit of experience under his belt, still very raw.

Is it a sign that kent is a done deal?

If hastie is to go out on loan n grezda isnt wanted.

That only leaves us with jones, candieas n murphy as the wide options?

League 1 is too low a level imho. 28 appearances in the first 11 then down to that level.

Doubt they see him ever being good enough if that's the level we see him at.

Think League One is about right. I would rather he was playing for side challenging for promotion in L1 than a side struggling in the Championship. Would be a great boost for him to win a trophy / promotion so young.

I think that's a good point. In that we loan guys like him and McCrorie to the likes of Hearts and Killie. But going down south will be helping the player more tbh in this instance

I can’t see any of the other top four team in Scotland taking any of our players on loan. It’s not in their interest to develop our players sadly.

Good move for him, needs to get a bit of experience under his belt, still very raw.

Is it a sign that kent is a done deal?

If hastie is to go out on loan n grezda isnt wanted.

That only leaves us with jones, candieas n murphy as the wide options?

Arfield as well

Back